• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daytona USA 2 finally coming home! Sorta...

Crew511A

"However, its 1998 sequel, Daytona USA 2: Battle on the Edge, wasn't as lucky; it never got a home port, with a proposed Dreamcast conversion rumoured to have been cancelled in favour of Daytona USA 2001.

Thankfully, the long wait for a domestic edition of the game is now coming to a close thanks to the upcoming Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name. The Yakuza / Like a Dragon series has a tradition of including Sega arcade machines (something that can be charted all the way back to Sega stablemate Shenmue, which has some commonalities with the Yakuza franchise), and this new entry will continue the trend."

Daytona USA 2 is confirmed to be included in the game, but it will go under its non-licenced title Sega Racing Classic 2, as Sega's deal with the Daytona Speedway has now lapsed. Galaxy Force and Fighting Vipers 2 are also confirmed to be in the game.

SkylineRKR

wow. I play this game a lot on Supermodel3. Name aside, soon from the convenience of a console. Honestly Sega should've just put this with online play on systems way back. Fighting Vipers 2 was pretty fucking sweet too.

Bought.

This means Sega uses a model 3 emulator of sorts in the consoles. To be fair it runs on a toaster. This might open up some things Sega isn't going to dabble in, like Spike Out or Emergency Call Ambulance. Its a shame Lost World and Star Wars are licenses, they would've been fun VR romps.

Last edited:

Crew511A

wow. I play this game a lot on Supermodel3. Name aside, soon from the convenience of a console. Honestly Sega should've just put this with online play on systems way back. Fighting Vipers 2 was pretty fucking sweet too.

Bought.

Yeah, I still fire up FV2 on my Dreamcast every now and then. Completely puzzling why this didn't get a US release.

Bildocube

Fucking unbelievable. I cannot believe my eyes.

I was Yakuza'd out and was going to pass on this one but with this news alone, Sega has made a sale. I'm thrilled by this news but at the same time - I mean JFC Sega you have a goldmine of arcade exclusives that are amazing (like this one, like Scud Race, like Golden Axe Revenge Of Death Adder, the list goes on and on) and you idiots just sit on them. I mean, motherfucker, one of the largest reasons I bought a Steam Deck is so I could get these Sega arcade exclusives emulated on a handheld (which works beautifully btw).

This should have been a god damned Sega Ages title. I'll take it in a Yakuza game though.

Tarin02543

Bought.

This means Sega uses a model 3 emulator of sorts in the consoles. To be fair it runs on a toaster. This might open up some things Sega isn't going to dabble in, like Spike Out or Emergency Call Ambulance. Its a shame Lost World and Star Wars are licenses, they would've been fun VR romps.

Me too. Scud Race and VF3 look absolutely jawdropping on my CRT monitor.

Cool! I wonder which version it'll be... While I love the course option for the combined three tracks that's in Power Edition, I have a special affinity for the Bio Dome beginner's track that's in Battle on the Edge.

RAIDEN1

Such a DUMB idea, why are they shying away from releasing it outside of this game? It was never the case with its prequel when that came out on the Xbox 360 and PS3....it was fine then so why not now....goes to show how much of joke of a firm Sega are....who knows we might be lucky and actually get a standalone port in 2028...to go with the 30 years it has been out...

ManaByte

Gold Member
So they put a game, in their game, so we can game, while in game.
yo-dawg-heard-you.jpg

SkylineRKR

Cool! I wonder which version it'll be... While I love the course option for the combined three tracks that's in Power Edition, I have a special affinity for the Bio Dome beginner's track that's in Battle on the Edge.

Absolutely. The Power Edition oval looks mundane. The thing with Daytona 2 was how outlandish it looked. The second track is a theme park ride.

I also prefer the handling of 2 for some reason. I don't like the twitchy feel of the Hornet. Perhaps its because I played 2 much more. I still have a screengrab of a 16'90 time on the dome oval, and a 2'17"45 overall.

Soltype

Hopefully we can start getting some model 3 arcade ports, or even some Naomi games in the future, also it's crazy they can't add bowling back into these games.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
this is cool, but i can emulate these through Supermodel (though it's a bit hard to set up, so the convenience is nice... well, would be nice if it weren't in another game.)

What i'd rather want is just more Sega Racers. Old, new, whatever, i want more of them on console/PC. They clearly still have the talent, they should put more emphasis on that as racing has always been one of their best strengths. With the exception of a few, every Sega published racer has been a strike IMO. Outrun, Scud Race, Virtua Racing, Daytona, Sega Rally, Sega GT, Sonic and All stars racing (transformed), etc etc etc.

The closest thing they have is the Initial D arcade games but those are arcade exclusive. With arcade racers being mostly a joke outside of Forza Horizon and NFS they could really gain some love here if they just made some more stuff/released more of their back catalogue

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Such a DUMB idea, why are they shying away from releasing it outside of this game? It was never the case with its prequel when that came out on the Xbox 360 and PS3....it was fine then so why not now....goes to show how much of joke of a firm Sega are....who knows we might be lucky and actually get a standalone port in 2028...to go with the 30 years it has been out...
During the party, you're the one pissing in the beer tank, aren't you ?🤪

Don't be a retro gamer cliche...

It's RIDG...DAYTONAAAAA 2 FFS.

Sega will fuck us back if our only response to a great bonus game is " YOU KILL MY DOG, SEGA !"...

😅

Last edited:

Fat Frog

Hopefully we can start getting some model 3
It seems locked. There were a model 2 turn over in each Yakuza games. Sega nuts asked for Model 3 and there it is.
I guess the norm is 2 new model 3 games by Yakuza sequel.

Probably 2 new titles in Yakuza 8 (unless the release date is too close to gaiden)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

Sega will fuck us back if our only response to a great bonus game is " YOU KILL MY DOG, SEGA !"...

😅
I mean, pretty much. Obviously these games didn't save Sega in the past so they don't necessarily deem them worthwhile endeavors regardless of their cult classic status (I mean, Daytona USA is by far the one most people are fond of over 2 and others and even that more popular game I guess didn't sell enough when they put it on XBLA/PSN to keep releasing it for newer/all systems since then so it's already lost despite being the definitive edition of the game). So yeah, maybe Sega in general don't care to re-release these games (yet, they may at some point since they've done other unlikely to be huge success stories releases too) but at least the Yakuza team should be celebrated for consistently putting awesome arcade titles in their games in the tradition of Shenmue. Big ones like Virtua Fighter 5 most recently and less known ones like Fighting Vipers or others that also weren't previously ported like Motor Raid. It's cool to see them move on to Model 3 titles so we get classics like this and hopefully in the future Scud Race and all the other good stuff. More Model 2 is needed still though among other hardware and games (even if some got ace home releases they were way before arcade perfect ports were possible). Sega has done more outside the constant no effort Genesis/Mega Drive rom releases with the M2 remasters of classic titles on 3DS and such, that they were perfectly tuned to that system and not multiplatform doesn't mean they didn't treat them & their fans with due respect. At least Silent has expressed renewed interest in going back to his arcade player to make Yakuza roms playable outside the games, hopefully he gets somewhere this time in a more polished manner than his Virtua Fighter 5 stand alone app thing.

Last edited:

Soltype

It seems locked. There were a model 2 turn over in each Yakuza games. Sega nuts asked for Model 3 and there it is.
I guess the norm is 2 new model 3 games by Yakuza sequel.

Probably 2 new titles in Yakuza 8 (unless the release date is too close to gaiden)
A VF3 port would be a god send.

• Love
Reactions: Kyo

RAIDEN1

😅
Well not quite, because it is only worth buying the shell of a game Daytona 2 resides in if you like the bigger game as a whole, if you aren't fan of the series, it is pointless buying it just to play Daytona 2....(minus the Daytona licence..)

Fat Frog

Well not quite, because it is only worth buying the shell of a game Daytona 2 resides in if you like the bigger game as a whole, if you aren't fan of the series, it is pointless buying it just to play Daytona 2....(minus the Daytona licence..)
Wait a 50% discount or a 15$ key on a moldovan website 🤑

Fat Frog

A VF3 port would be a god send.
VF3 has a charming atmosphere (i get the hype) but i didn't enjoy that much the gameplay unlike VF4/VF5 🤩.

For me the God send would be Scud Race: The game is still beautiful and aged like fine wine. (it's ten time more vibrant than modern racers)

In 1997, they even managed to dodge blocky buildings. Most of them have singular shapes and even when it's a block (like real life after all) they put some fancy reflections on the glasses, put some boats or palm trees in front of them...

Last edited:

Soltype

VF3 has a charming atmosphere (i get the hype) but i didn't enjoy that much the gameplay unlike VF4/VF5 🤩.

For me the God send would be Scud Race: The game is still beautiful and aged like fine wine. (it's ten time more vibrant than modern racers)

In 1997, they even managed to dodge blocky buildings. Most of them have singular shapes and even when it's a block (like real life after all) they put some fancy reflections on the glasses, put some boats or palm trees in front of them...

Definitely, but 3 blew me away, I remembered playing a deluxe cab at the world's biggest McDonald's. They probably should have done scud race instead of Daytona 2, I don't think they want to pay for the licensing for all the real world cars though.

Fat Frog

1996 actually. I know it's a bit pedantic but putting it 1 year later is underselling how impressive this game is: it came out the same year as Mario 64 and Quake.
Not at all, you're goddam right.
This game was the future and now it's the golden age of Arcade racers.

Fat Frog

This was when Sega had their mojo, who knew a decade later it was all gone.....
Sega was after near bankruptcy.
What would you do as a CEO with a abyssal debt ? Ask banks for even more money to fund a $100 million Shenmue 3 ?

Of course, Sega lost their mojo for two decades.(no big money, no big projects)

You'll tell me they recently had good results ?
Well, yeah, that's why:

P3-JSR-Leaks_04-09-23_JSR-Artwork-768x436.jpg

mokkori.jpeg

Big money on the table.
Mister Utsumi, Mister Dreamcast is in charge now. So yeah, Mojo is back !

(Cannot say, if they'll succeed but spending billion, creating new sapporo studio for supporting AAA game material, is a step in the right direction)

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
major missed opportunity. a Daytona racing collection with 1, 2 and Scud Race as an extra would've been amazing. Especially since these games have so little content.

YCoCg

Hopefully this guy comes back and does the same for the new Arcade games, this modder was able to create an executable to launch Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown without needing the game to be launched.

Fat Frog

Hopefully this guy comes back and does the same for the new Arcade games, this modder was able to create an executable to launch Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown without needing the game to be launched.

Speaking of which, there are Giga Sega sales on Steam (85%) :
Yakuza 6 is the cheapest way to own VF5 on PC.
(there is also VF5 inside)

Yakuza 6 is an unofficial remake of Shenmue 1 as well 😆

Last edited:
Top Bottom