• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daytona USA 2; one of the best arcade racers of all time and the era where Sega could NOT lose

And contrary to his post Sega Rally was exceptional with flawless 30fps, comparing it to VF2's 60fps is silly since they obviously couldn't cut all 3D scenery like VF2/Tekken 3 could...

Wanting Saturn to (or thinking PS can) match Model 2 is dumb and Sega Rally was #1 @ home in 1995/6 on its merits and not in comparison to Daytona's technically lesser port 🤦‍♂️

Yes, and it is silly to bring up Tekken since that was running on a PS board.

Daytona USA was also a much higher port than RR. It had 3 tracks one getting more advanced and adding more geometry, over 40 cars on the track, much more advanced AI and also the main car had a damage physical model to handle too

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
I'm all about suzuki but I felt those line of post-virtua racing racers were somewhat samey.(...)Compare to sega rally from am3 and that had a totally different feel. You really had to learn a new game coming from daytona.
That's because Kenji Sasaki is from Namco. (he was the director for Sega Rally, Sega Touring Car, Star Wars Racer and lately Sega World Drivers)

Yeah, even the atmosphere is different from AM2 games: Less blue blue sky, palm trees... Only Sega Europe made the bridge between Sasaki Namco's background and Suzuki Sega's legacy with Sega Rally 3.(less bland the Sega Rally Revo's atmosphere, with more more palm trees, sun, tropical birds than Sega Rally 95)

UnNamed

Banned
Daytona USA was also a much higher port than RR. It had 3 tracks one getting more advanced and adding more geometry, over 40 cars on the track, much more advanced AI and also the main car had a damage physical model to handle too

Sega developers had their problems and their faults, but I think people understimate how "heavy" Daytona is despite being an arcade game. Even the improved CCE has graphics issues hard to solve. There is no game like Daytona on Playstation and I think it wouldn't be easy to port on it. Burning Road has the same aesthetic but it's a different game.

Sega developers had their problems and their faults, but I think people understimate how "heavy" Daytona is despite being an arcade game. Even the improved CCE has graphics issues hard to solve. There is no game like Daytona on Playstation and I think it wouldn't be easy to port on it. Burning Road has the same aesthetic but it's a different game.
The issue for Daytona USA port was having to handle 40 cars on track each with its own AI. While SEGA Rally and RR had drone AI cars that were on a set path no matter the player's actions and also those games didn't have a damage model to worry about, Daytona USA did.

Daytona USA was a much harder port to handle, it was a shame that SEGA rushed it out mind

The issue for Daytona USA port was having to handle 40 cars on track each with its own AI. While SEGA Rally and RR had drone AI cars that were on a set path no matter the player's actions and also those games didn't have a damage model to worry about, Daytona USA did. Its hard to think of any racing game ever today with more than 40 cars on track

Daytona USA was a much harder port to handle, it was a shame that SEGA rushed it out mind

SkylineRKR

Yes but in that case Sony and Namco were simply smarter by using essentially the same hardware in the Arcade. Tekken ran on PSX hardware in the arcade. I think the first 2 are Arcade perfect or actually better on Playstation. The third ran on a modified board, and the arcade version was slightly more advanced but the difference wasn't huge and Namco always filled console versions with extras. I was satisfied with the ports of the Tekken trilogy and Soul Edge.

Ridge Racer did run on superior hardware, System 22, and was 60fps in the Arcade I think. But despite RR being simpler than Daytona, the port was good. And thats what counts in the end. Sega released Model 2, and set expectations by announcing those games for Saturn which could never replicate that power. Sega eventually made the STV Titan board, which was a Saturn, those ports are arcade perfect or really close to it. Personally I am really impressed by the STV games on Saturn. Games like AJPW, Radiant Silvergun, Decathlete, Groove on Fight, Astra Superstars, Die Hard Arcade I rate among the more impressive looking Saturn games. And its both 2D and 3D games. Some of the best shmups on it too, like RSG, Shienryu, Cotton 2 and Souky.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Ridge Racer did run on superior hardware, System 22, and was 60fps in the Arcade I think. But despite RR being simpler than Daytona, the port was good.
That's silly.

The port was good because the arcade game wasn't as advanced as Model 2 or superior boards, not despite it (granted System 22 had some technology advantages but it's pretty obvious that the polygonal and texture complexity of games like Ridge Racer and Tekken was nowhere near Model 2 equivalents, RR is just flat and decidedly last gen looking vs Daytona USA and looks aliased to hell and back due to the interlacing, real transparencies be damned). And it was about as downgraded as Sega Rally still despite (proper use here) not being as advanced (and yes, System 22 was more powerful than PlayStation, we've been going over the downgrades the last few pages, the whole point of the conversation was that PS appeared better than Saturn for having less cuts in some ports than Saturn had for some Model 2 ports, which again is only natural when those arcades didn't hold a candle to Model 2 so it should never be used as such since Saturn also could/did get better ports ftom inferior to Model 2 hardware and PS could never match Model 2 either, circle jerk much, how did you ever agree with this idea of the PS if you don't even know what the cuts to RR were?!).

Or did people not care if the arcade games were impressive to begin with, just "solid arcade port" was enough to pump them? That's absurd, in that case all the great 2D game ports on Saturn and also the solid ports of the likes of Virtual On, Virtua Cop and VF should have gained way more ground rather than be trashed in the case of the last. Sega and other companies would have probably released more Super Scaler and 2D stuff in the West too, with more success in pushing back against Sony's hyping of 3D only at any cost.

I don't think Namco's ports had extras worth discussing before later games like Soul Blade and Tekken 3 (in the following post these are your main examples ignoring my points here), Ridge Racer games pre-4 were fairly light on content much like Sega racers, even when they were console specific games and not direct ports (I dunno if they stopped porting in order to avoid comparisons and talk of dowgrades). VF2 was super barebones compared to Tekken 3, sure, but also came way earlier and was more in competition with Tekken 2 instead (handily trumping it so as to be compared with Tekken 3 years later or until nowadays as showing Saturn off vs PS, it's just that good). Same for other third parties. I'd say all companies did on par on that front, gradually adding more and more in such games. By SFA3 even Capcom was doing lots of extras and I'd say STCC is on par with Rage Racer content. Of course not all arcade games can be adapted as such and not all companies could afford it (ie shmup ports can't have much content without basically designing more game from scratch, or SNK as a struggling company). Sega was evolving with trends just like any other developer and publisher, doing Final Fantasy level JRPGs and even MGS caliber cinematic games like Shenmue for Saturn would be, but they were running on fumes with the disparity in mind/marketshare unfairly established years before these trends so it didn't always materialise.

Saturn's fate was sealed long, LONG before people started expecting every racer to be Gran Turismo in terms of content/grind and for arcade games to constantly justify themselves with shit to do beyond the core gameplay that is what makes them desirable to have at home in the first place (let's be real, even with extras you just took a day or so to unlock characters and mess around in mini games, then just practiced in training or survival type modes for multiplayer meet ups or ditch the game as not really into fighters). Before then, it was other genres people expected length from, like JRPG (yes yes, we know about FFVII). Sega arcade ports were on par with any competition prior to these later developments, if not better, even with relative duds like Daytona or the original VF (which again wasn't even so bad, much like RR it's just a graphically downgraded 30fps version retaining the gameplay, so imo unfairly trashed much like VF3tb on Dreamcast which is way closer of a port than most assume by its rep - though I'll concede it was a less impressive game by then which as I say and you opposed does matter, but still Saturn had games showing it can for example do texture mapping beyond that game so it's not like people could think it would only have flat shaded untextured quads in 3D like Model 1 because of it, they'd have to be pretty brainless drones to fall for that idea).

Of course having cheaper arcade games is a solid duh, Sega also did that even before Namco, even before STV, they didn't for example stop making 2D/Super Scaler games as soon as they had Model 1 and 2 out or stop Model 2 as soon as 3 was in or anything and later they did Naomi etc. just like Namco had PS1 & 2 based boards but obviously "arcade perfect" doesn't mean shit if the "arcade game" is just on par with anything at home to begin with. At that point it's expected, Soulcalibur would have probably been trashed (maybe a bit less as the only home port since PS1 couldn't do it, it might still look PS1 style like Tekken 3 but the boards were considerably beefed up) much like VF Saturn if it was just arcade perfect, nevermind with minor downgrades, the complexity and impressive factor of the arcade original matters. Or rather mattered until about the DC gen where arcades altogether died/reduced to gimmicks no longer pushing the medium graphically, though there was still room for stuff like Naomi 2 and even their PC based arcades yielded some impressive games but now for sure it's all just contemporary visuals in arcades as anywhere). And yes, STV games/ports were fine too (if they were good games, not like that Final Fight fighting game). Not because wow, arcade perfect, that's expected for a lower end arcade game just as it is for a console only game, just the games were good, arcade ports or not. Nobody would be impressed if PS5 gets an arcade perfect port of a game that doesn't look special anyway, as welcome as it may be if it's a good game, and it should have been the same for PS back then. Hell, it was the same for Saturn as it got near arcade perfect 2D ports miles beyond the PS versions (even without RAM cartridges like SFA2) but clearly didn't impress folks who just went by the very occasional bad port from far superior hardware PS would never match either to trash it at any opportunity.

Saturn and PS were still the most advanced 3D (and 2D) home platforms yet at launch so impressed by that alone, even if they didn't hold a candle to the best arcades (not just Model 2 as Model 3 came soon after), but all due to PR/marketing (and bad moves like initial cost of Saturn) it was all twisted and that impression only applied to PS. It was quite unfair and clearly guided by the enthusiast media of the era trashing anything that appeared lesser as, well, trash rather than still with merits, ignoring most stuff on other platforms and elevating anything on PS with bs like "blue shadows".

But this is all circle jerking at this point. Edit: yeah and you continue in this manner. I already gave examples that weren't barebones. You just choose the best examples of Namco vs the worst of Sega not even caring about release dates or if they really represent their output. Yeah VF3tb was barebones, earlier on Saturn Fighters Megamix wasn't (same year as your Soul Blade, both before Tekken 3), Sega Rally 2 also had a ton of stuff added and FV2 was released on a dead platform, not even worldwide, so obviously they weren't gonna do much for that, it's a wonder it came out at all. As for later games, Tekken copied a lot of post-VF3tb content from VF4 and Evo which put their own spin on fleshing out the single player, not with character lore which isn't the series point but customization items, the whole touring arcades and winning tournaments deal, the grading system with the kyus or whatever for ongoing visible progression, etc., now you are just making it a VF vs Tekken deal with all kinds of elements that made it more popular worldwide rather than the general discussion of content additions to arcade ports (and contradict yourself mentioning it was more popular in arcades where it had none of the extras) which again Sega did do just like any company with tangible examples given, some better, some worse, all evolving over time, all with their own duds.

Tl;dr RR and its PS port were propped up, Saturn and Model 2 ports were trashed for having more cuts, yet PS too would have had more cuts if anyone attempted Model 2 ports in those days and hell, even still had with the inferior arcade game ports, so obviously the reasons for its hype trashing Saturn's weren't quite genuine. RR is downgraded in all ways, visual and fps, jus like Saturn ports like VO, VF2, FV, VC, VC2, MTT, etc., so a dud of two like Daytona or HOTD shouldn't be a big deal considering the gulf in power and the feat attempted would pose problems for PS too and considering Saturn also had ports with even less cuts from less advanced arcades (ie 2D where it also trumped PS by far, or, again the trashed VF port which merely has cuts comparable to RR) and non ports of less arcadey games, but ports are the topic.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I think it had more to do with accessibility and content. Tekken simply had more content. T1 home version added the sub bosses and Hei, a lot of them were clones but they still played differently and it was fun to unlock them. T2 and T3 improved on that further with each game. Soul Edge added a whole story mode. Namco's fighters were also easier to get into, looked more flashy in motion and had kick ass intro FMV that drew in people when demoed in stores. VF2 looked really dry compared to them. That was a def. a harder sell in the west that didn't understand or didn't give much shits about its depth.

But this was also the case in arcades. I've been to many, and people were always around Tekken 3 cabs and VF3 was being ignored a lot despite looking technically spectacular (I had never seen a better looking game like it at the time). People didn't really care, they went to T3 en masse. It was more fun to the average player.

And its not like Sega would improve with content over time. VF3, Fighting Vipers 2, HOTD were all bare bones compared to the likes of T3, Soul Calibur, Time Crisis ports. VF4 also when pit against T4 and SC2. Its just not how Sega rolled. Sega wouldn't add a volleyball or scrolling beat em up mode and a dozen of endings. VF will always feel a bit dry and pure which is ok, but it won't attract the crowd like a new Tekken will (which was in decline too, but T7 is still very active to this day).

Tommi84

Ridge Racer!

I6p5g7e.png
Just to properly evaluate the information provided... WHICH ridge are we racing exactly?

SkylineRKR

I highly doubt the System 22 is superior to the Model 2.

Superior to System 11. Time Crisis arcade was 60fps and looked better than the console port. While the port had a very good special mode and was very well done otherwise.

Last edited:
That's silly.

The port was good because the arcade game wasn't as advanced as Model 2 or superior boards, not "despite" it. And it was about as downgraded as Sega Rally still despite (proper use here) not being as advanced.

Or did people not care if the arcade games were impressive to begin with, just "solid arcade port" was enough to pump them? That's absurd, in that case all the great 2D game ports on Saturn and also the solid ports of the likes of Virtual On, Virtua Cop and VF should have gained way more ground rather than be trashed in the case of the last. Sega and other companies would have probably released more Super Scaler and 2D stuff in the West too, with more success pushing past Sony's hyping of 3D only at any cost. Also people wouldn't be trashing mesh transparencies so much since Model 2 used them too with no problem in making impressive games.

I don't think Namco ports had so many extras worth discussing outside Soul Blade and Tekken 3 (in the following post these are your main examples ignoring my points here), Ridge Racer games pre-4 were fairly light on content much like Sega racers, even when they were console specific games and not direct ports (I dunno if they stopped porting in order to avoid comparisons and talk of dowgrades). VF2 was super barebones compared to Tekken 3, sure, but also came way earlier and was more in competition with Tekken 2 instead (handily trumping it imo but anyway). Same for other third parties. I'd say all companies did on par on that front, gradually adding more and more in such games. By SFA3 even Capcom was doing lots of extras and I'd say STCC is on par with Rage Racer content. Of course not all arcade games can be adapted as such and not all companies could afford it (ie shmup ports or SNK). Sega was evolving with trends just like any company, even doing MGS level cinematic games like Shenmue for Saturn would be, but were running on fumes with the disparity in mind/marketshare established years before so it didn't always materialise in time/at all.

Saturn's fate was sealed long, LONG before people started expecting every racer to be Gran Turismo in terms of content/grind and for arcade games to constantly justify themselves with shit to do beyond the core gameplay that is what makes them desirable to have at home in the first place (lets face it even with extras you just took a day or two to unlock all characters and mess around in mini games and then just practiced in training or survival type modes for multiplayer meet ups or ditch the game as not really into fighters). Before then, it was other genres people expected length from, like JRPG (yes yes, we know about FFVII). Sega arcade ports were on par with any competition prior to these later developments, if not better, even with relative duds like Daytona or the original VF (which again wasn't even so bad, much like RR it's just a graphically downgraded 30fps version retaining the gameplay, so imo unfairly trashed much like VF3tb on Dreamcast which is way closer of a port than most assume by its rep - though I'll concede it was a less impressive game by then which as I say and you opposed does matter, but still Saturn had games showing it can for example do texture mapping beyond that game so it's not like people could think it would only have flat shaded untextured quads in 3D like Model 1 because of it).

Of couse having cheaper arcade games is a solid duh, Sega also did that even before Namco, even before STV, they didn't for example stop making 2D/Super Scaler games as soon as they had Model 1 and 2 out or stop Model 2 as soon as 3 was in or anything and later they did Naomi etc. just like Namco had PS1 & 2 based boards but obviously "arcade perfect" doesn't mean shit if the "arcade game" is just on par with anything at home to begin with. At that point it's expected, Soulcalibur would have probably been trashed (maybe a bit less as the only home port since PS1 couldn't do it, it might still look PS1 style like Tekken 3 but the boards were considerably beefed up) much like VF Saturn if it was just arcade perfect, nevermind with minor downgrades, the complexity and impressive factor of the arcade original matters. Or rather mattered until about the DC gen where arcades altogether died/reduced to gimmicks no longer pushing the medium graphically, though there was still room for stuff like Naomi 2 and even their PC based arcades yielded some impressive games but now for sure it's all just contemporary visuals in arcades as anywhere). And yes, STV games/ports were fine too (if they were good games, not like that Final Fight fighting game). Not because wow, arcade perfect, that's expected for a lower end arcade game just as it is for a console only game, just the games were good, arcade ports or not. Again, just as Saturn got near arcade perfect 2D ports miles beyond the PS versions (even without RAM cartridges like SFA2) but clearly didn't impress folks who just went by the occasional bad port from far superior hardware PS would never match either and never did match.

Of course Saturn and PS were still the most advanced 3D (and 2D) home platforms yet at launch so impressed people by that alone, even if they didn't hold a candle to the best arcades (not just Model 2 since Model 3 came soon after). But all due to PR/marketing (and bad moves like initial cost of Saturn) it was all twisted and somehow that impression mostly applied to PS. It was quite unfair and clearly guided by the enthusiast media of the era trashing anything that appeared lesser as, well, trash rather than still with merits, ignoring most stuff on other platforms and elevating anything on PS every chance they got, with stand out bs examples like "blue shadows".

But this is all circle jerking at this point. Edit: yeah and you continue in this manner. I already gave examples that weren't barebones. You just choose the best examples of Namco vs the worst of Sega not even caring about releade dates or if they really represent their output. Yeah VF3tb was barebones, earlier on Saturn Fighters Megamix wasn't, Sega Rally 2 also had a ton of stuff added and FV2 was released on a dead platform, not even worldwide so obviously they weren't gonna do much for that, it's a wonder it came out at all. As for later games, Tekken copied a lot of post-VF3tb content from VF4 and Evo who put their own spin on fleshing out the single player, not with character lore which isn't the series point but customization items, the whole touring arcades and winning tournaments deal, the grading system with the kyus or whatever for ongoing visible progression, etc., now you are just making it a VF vs Tekken deal with all kinds of elements that made it more popular worldwide rather than the generalization of content additions to arcade ports (and contradict yourself mentioning it was more popular in arcades where it had none of the extras) which again Sega did do just like any company with tangible examples given, some better, some worse, all evolving over time, all having duds at times.
You deserve a like just for the effort of writing all of this ! Good job man !

I think it had more to do with accessibility and content. Tekken simply had more content. T1 home version added the sub bosses and Hei, a lot of them were clones but they still played differently and it was fun to unlock them. T2 and T3 improved on that further with each game. Soul Edge added a whole story mode. Namco's fighters were also easier to get into, looked more flashy in motion and had kick ass intro FMV that drew in people when demoed in stores. VF2 looked really dry compared to them. That was a def. a harder sell in the west that didn't understand or didn't give much shits about its depth.

But this was also the case in arcades. I've been to many, and people were always around Tekken 3 cabs and VF3 was being ignored a lot despite looking technically spectacular (I had never seen a better looking game like it at the time). People didn't really care, they went to T3 en masse. It was more fun to the average player.

And its not like Sega would improve with content over time. VF3, Fighting Vipers 2, HOTD were all bare bones compared to the likes of T3, Soul Calibur, Time Crisis ports. VF4 also when pit against T4 and SC2. Its just not how Sega rolled. Sega wouldn't add a volleyball or scrolling beat em up mode and a dozen of endings. VF will always feel a bit dry and pure which is ok, but it won't attract the crowd like a new Tekken will (which was in decline too, but T7 is still very active to this day).
SEGA added a ton of extra content with Fighting Megamix and Last Bronx. I think the main issues were that the PS was way more popular, VF 2 was just too deep for most and also Namco used the cheaper system 12 board with meant so many Arcades could afford the unit and you saw the likes of Tekken in your local chip/take away shop, which could never afford a Model 1 or 2 coin up

All helping Tekken get more of a foothold

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Higher res, 496x384 vs 640x480, plus goraud shading on System 22.

But probably in the end both system are on the same level,
System 22 outputs in interlaced resolution, not full 640x480 (mame is wrong to emulate it in full 480p). So Model 2 pushed more pixels, something like >190k vs <154k going by your numbers. They're not on the same level going by the games. If they are then the games never really took advantage of it hence the home ports needed comparatively less, if still significant and undersold to prop PS up vs Saturn getting trashed for similar, cuts. Say what you will about the home ports but in the arcades no Ridge Racer of the era was as impressive as Daytona USA or Sega Rally, mesh transparencies or no. As said before Model 2 also got improvements with variants over time, Sega Rally was on a better board than Daytona USA and shows (yet got the better port). Of course Namco also had many different boards going, System 22, Super System 22, System 11 and then 12, System 23 later on...
Edit: no clue what you are talking about, most of that has little to do with my post which was mostly to correct you about Model 2 vs System 22 or rather their specs. Also, Sega Rally's port released very close to RR's port, like 2 months apart in the USA, obviously enthusiasts and journalists around the world had seen it long before either released, nor was anyone thinking in "launch aligned" terms. But even before that, Saturn had obviously proven it can do more than flat shaded polygons as in VF and perform better than Daytona with all kinds of games, 2D and 3D, arcade ports or no. If people judged consoles like this and it wasn't a matter of the media constantly telling people what to think and buy, PS2 would flop based on its launch and games proving it can do better within a year or two wouldn't matter, it'd be the PSaturn2 with a couple stand out but still blurry af titles.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
If they are then the games never really took advantage of it hence the home ports needed comparatively less, if still significant and undersold to prop PS up vs Saturn getting trashed for similar, cuts.

I never mentioned this argument, but Saturn was trashed for VF and Daytona, VF2 and SR were well received at the time. And the reasons... well, for VF people expected no flat shaded games on new hardwares, and still the games was downgraded, while Daytona was a shitty port, so there were all the reasons to compare VF to the more "shiny" Toshinden and Daytona to RR.
So, of course RR didn't receive the same treatment. But not because RR was "the impossible port" but because VF and Daytona were shit.

Also, never said Sega Rally is easy port, I wrote "easier" than VF2 and Daytona, for the reason that on Sega Rally they could cut many corners maintaining fo 90% the same aesthetic, while on those game wasn't possible.
VF2 lost 3d background and lighting, Daytona is not a faithful port even on CCE. We can go on with SEGA Touring which had heavily reduced polycount, and later Last Bronx despite the clever use of VDP2for background, etc.

Sega Rally is the most similar port to the original among Sega games.

On comparisons between RR and Sega Rally, RR is a launch game so we should compare it with VF. But in any case, RR wasn't a perfect port even on Playstation despite being more developer friendly and RR older than SR, so in theory easier to port.

Fat Frog

Maybe it was but i upload video.

What about this daytona?

Sega Rally 3 from Sega West was a master class. This Daytona from Sega Europe and Sega Shanghai isn't bad but clearly not on the OG Daytona level...
But i wouldn't blame Sega West for trying to revive the serie (Nagoshi was too focused on Yakuza to give Daytona another chance from Sega of Japan teams... I think the new boss of Sega Studios, Utsumi from Dreamcast Era, would use Sega of Japan Studios for such a legendary IP)

Sega West tried to respect the spirit, color palet but they lacked budget and talents. (using Sega China for backup was a mistake, they needed help from Sega of Japan. You can't imitate AM2's style easily... look at Shenmue 3...)

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

SEGA added a ton of extra content with Fighting Megamix and Last Bronx. I think the main issues were that the PS was way more popular, VF 2 was just too deep for most and also Namco used the cheaper system 12 board with meant so many Arcades could afford the unit and you saw the likes of Tekken in your local chip/take away shop, which could never afford a Model 1 or 2 coin up

All helping Tekken get more of a foothold

Yep, Tekken was cheap for operators and generated a lot. It was a no brainer.

Megamix was a ton of fun if a bit unbalanced, it was pretty much VF3 for Saturn with Janet being Aoi. Last Bronx was kind of fun as well. But the damage had already been done ofcourse. Those games never gained much traction.

I never mentioned this argument, but Saturn was trashed for VF and Daytona, VF2 and SR were well received at the time. And the reasons... well, for VF people expected no flat shaded games on new hardwares, and still the games was downgraded, while Daytona was a shitty port, so there were all the reasons to compare VF to the more "shiny" Toshinden and Daytona to RR.
So, of course RR didn't receive the same treatment. But not because RR was "the impossible port" but because VF and Daytona were shit.

Also, never said Sega Rally is easy port, I wrote "easier" than VF2 and Daytona, for the reason that on Sega Rally they could cut many corners maintaining fo 90% the same aesthetic, while on those game wasn't possible.
VF2 lost 3d background and lighting, Daytona is not a faithful port even on CCE. We can go on with SEGA Touring which had heavily reduced polycount, and later Last Bronx despite the clever use of VDP2for background, etc.

Sega Rally is the most similar port to the original among Sega games.

On comparisons between RR and Sega Rally, RR is a launch game so we should compare it with VF. But in any case, RR wasn't a perfect port even on Playstation despite being more developer friendly and RR older than SR, so in theory easier to port.

I would say Last Bronx is on the good side of Saturn arcade ports. But then there are next to Daytona and OG VF1 also games like STCC and House of the Dead which was horrible. While VC1 and 2 were good. It was a mixed bag overall.

The OST of STCC though... its fucking flawless.

Yep, Tekken was cheap for operators and generated a lot. It was a no brainer.

Megamix was a ton of fun if a bit unbalanced, it was pretty much VF3 for Saturn with Janet being Aoi. Last Bronx was kind of fun as well. But the damage had already been done ofcourse. Those games never gained much traction.

I would say Last Bronx is on the good side of Saturn arcade ports. But then there are next to Daytona and OG VF1 also games like STCC and House of the Dead which was horrible. While VC1 and 2 were good. It was a mixed bag overall.

The OST of STCC though... its fucking flawless.
Yeah MegaMix was pretty much Sonic Fighters and VF3 :). I don't think the team could have done any better with the graphics for any VF 3 port.

I would disagree with you over VF mind. IMO it was a wonderful port with even better sound effects than in the Arcade version and much better music too. VC wasn't just good it was an awesome port that was more or less the Arcade game in your bedroom and looked even better than the PS port of Time Crisis. Last Bronx for me had even better graphics than the PS port of Tekken 3 and even had motion blur

Virtual On was a mighty port too, utterly incredible given the Arcade game needed 2 Model 2B boards to work and then you had the wonderful ST-V ports. Decathlete looked like a Model 2 game and run at 60FPS at 704X480. That was nuts

SkylineRKR

Last Bronx was really close to model 2 and it was an impressive looking game. I liked it a lot, I eventually bought the JP version with the extra disc which cost about 5 bucks online at the time. I believe the second disc had character bios and training mode with commentary or something? Those JP bonuses were generally great.

It was awesome to collect Saturn games at the start of the millenium. Some were already expensive, like RSG (which I did own), but a lot of them could be picked up for 1-10 bucks. And some shmups like Batsugun, Souky etc set me back perhaps 30-40 a piece with the currency rates at the time. I feel for those who try to collect these games today. A lot of them though, you can buy on PS4 or 5 and they are pretty good.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

Last week to buy Daytona USA on the xbox 360 store (Xbox One and Series BC), it will be removed on February 7th.
Spread the message on social medias...

Top Bottom