• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077: Ultimate Edition will not Phantom Liberty included on disc due to Sony's policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draugoth

Gold Member
cyberpunk-2077-ultimate-edition-nao-tera-a-dlc-inclusa-no-disco-por-politica-da-sony-100207.png

Many players found it strange that the expansion was available on disc in the Xbox version, but not in the PlayStation version. John Linneman, from the Digital Foundry channel, is the one who provided an explanation for what happened.

According to the journalist, the reason would be that Sony does not allow the DLC to be included on the disc separately, meaning it is necessary to create a new build of the game with the DLC already included. The reason CD Projekt didn't opt for this would be that it would cost time and money to have the new build resend for Sony to approve.

Ahhh, I know what's happening. This is a problem with the Sony backend. They don't let you include DLC on disc like that without basically creating an entirely new SKU. Other developers had the same problem.

They would have to recompile a version of the game with the DLC built in, which means resubmitting it to Sony. They probably didn't end up spending the time and money involved. :-/

According to John, other games have already suffered from the same problem on the PS5, such as Final Fantasy VII Remake. As for the lack of DLC in the PC disc version, the reason would simply be that there would be no financial incentive for the studio, as the Blu-Ray player is not popular on the platform.

Last edited:
We know dude, it's already been discussed at length in the other thread that you've made on the Ultimate Edition starting with post #8.

Draugoth

Gold Member
We know dude, it's already been discussed at length in the other thread that you've made on the Ultimate Edition starting with post #8.

D_NQ_NP_871784-MLB44900684241_022021-O.webp

Mr Hyde

Incredibly disappointed by this. I was sure everything would be on disc given that it is CDPR but alas, here we are. And Sony needs to get their shit in order so developers have an easier time including DLC on disc when a complete edition is being prepped.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Phantom liberty is like its own game it gives you new relic abilities I look forward to a second play through.

Success

Not everyone goes into every thread.

Draugoth Draugoth keep on posting relevant news.​

Thick Thighs Save Lives Thick Thighs Save Lives I love you too so keep on doing you as well.​

Incredibly disappointed by this. I was sure everything would be on disc given that it is CDPR but alas, here we are. And Sony needs to get their shit in order so developers have an easier time including DLC on disc when a complete edition is being prepped.
Sony recently changed this 'policy', so a big part of the blame lies with CDPR still for not using the latest available PS5 SDK, which no longer requires a separate SKU to include all the DLC on the disc.

Here's another gaffer confirming that this might be laziness indeed on behalf of CDPR, since an indie dev managed to do a proper release with all the DLCs on disc just a few months ago:

Not necessarily true. I recently bought the Dead Cells: Return to Castlevania Edition and all DLC is included on disc, even though the SKU just shows as Dead Cells.

Last edited:

Susurrus

Weird that TT figured it out for the PS4 Lego Marvel Collection disc, but CDPR couldn't figure it out for the PS5 version of their game.

Because multiple SKUs? Bruh? There's only 1 PS5 physical release, the Ultimate Version.

Overall it's a shitty situation, but there's at least some silver lining to all of this as going forward we should see more if not all devs/pubs use the latest PS5 SDK to ship their games. But again, this is still not an excuse for the awful job CDPR has been doing with this PS5 physical release when we know they've been doing proper disc releases in the past (e.g. The Witcher 3 Complete Edition). I mean if indie devs can do a quality physical release with all the DLC on disc why can't CDPR (a billion dollar company) do the same? All parties should be called out.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Sony recently changed this 'policy', so a big part of the blame lies with CDPR still for not using the latest available PS5 SDK, which no longer requires a separate SKU to include all the DLC on the disc.

Here's another gaffer confirming that this might be laziness indeed on behalf of CDPR, since an indie dev managed to do a proper release with all the DLCs on disc just a few months ago:

If that's the case I'm really disappointed by CDPR. What the hell are they doing? The Witcher 3 was complete and everything on disc. Even on Switch they got everything down on the more expensive 32 gb cart. I don't understand why they want to burn us PS5 owners like that.

If that's the case I'm really disappointed by CDPR. What the hell are they doing? The Witcher 3 was complete and everything on disc. Even on Switch they got everything down on the more expensive 32 gb cart. I don't understand why they want to burn us PS5 owners like that.
I don't get it either and I'm disappointed as well since I've been waiting for this PS5 physical release ever since the rumors started circulating back in August. I guess they just thought there won't be any major backlash that would come with the announcement of this Ultimate Edition. Let's just hope they'll do a reprint later down the road since that has happened in the past with other games like the Spyro Trilogy.

image.png

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I don't get it either and I'm disappointed as well since I've been waiting for this PS5 physical release ever since the rumors started circulating back in August. I guess they just thought there won't be any major backlash that would come with the announcement of this Ultimate Edition. Let's just hope they'll do a reprint later down the road since that has happened in the past with other games like the Spyro Trilogy.

image.png

Let's hope that we gamers can whip up a big enough stink so CDPR might rethink this decision. If fucking Activision can reprint their game to include all games on Spyro, than CDPR can do it for Phantom Liberty and Cyberpunk. For a company so adamant about game preservation, their action with this Ultimate edition certainly rings hollow.

Last edited:
I was about to say...The Witcher 3 had everything included so this is weird.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Oh no you have to download the dlc?

What does dlc stand for again?
doesnt mean it cant be included in disc.
I mean if you have a disc, put it in.
Who knows some publisher or devs may pull of their games or dlc from the store, to prevent download in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom