• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 story ‘takes up two thick books of dialogue’

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

That’s according to CD Projekt Red’s story director Marcin Blacha, who told Inn:poland (independently translated by VGC) that Cyberpunk 2077’s plot is “much grander” than the “small human dramas” presented in The Witcher.

He also revealed some of his favourite characters in the game, including an artificial intelligence that runs an entire taxi company.
CD Projekt Red has reportedly claimed that Cyberpunk 2077’s main campaign will be shorter than The Witcher 3’s story but will make up for it with much higher replayability.

“From a creator’s perspective, Cyberpunk 2077 is a story about heroes in opposition to the world, and that world itself is one of the heroes as well,” Blacha said.

“For me everything is on a much grander scale than the stories of small human dramas presented in The Witcher.”

The writer added that his favourite type of characters to write for Cyberpunk are those “torn by internal drama,” because it gives him the opportunity to create emotional dialogue.

As a whole, he said he values “completely unusual” characters, because then he must look for an interesting language for them.

“Without going into too much detail, I can reveal that on my list of favourite heroes I have a certain prisoner who wants to achieve his life goal in one day while on release; an artificial intelligence that runs an entire taxi company; and a clever girl who stands behind the counter in an esoteric shop half the time, while also working as a nurse,” he said.

“We avoided neologisms in the dialogue, but we often gave new meanings to known terms. The characters talk about “full conversion”, meaning the exchange of the biological body for the electromechanical body, and when they say “optics” they usually refer to electronic sight implants.”

While Blacha claimed he didn’t know the exact word count for Cyberpunk 2077’s script, he did reveal its story currently occupies four large books.

“How much text was created in total? – I haven’t done a detailed summary yet, I was just trying to figure out what order of magnitude I am dealing with when all the words written by the scriptwriter team are summed together,” he said.

“It turned out that we wrote two thick book volumes of dialogue, and another whole two volumes of directorial comments to go alongside them. The texts that will not be recorded will be the same, and the words in the documentation for the game cannot be counted, but there were plenty of them too.”

DATASS.jpg

"Thicc"

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Shame every bit of dialogue I've heard in the advance footage has been so atrocious. Sorry, but to me its tryhard and unconvincing, like a bad impression of hard-boiled/street dialogue from a movie.

The critics will love it no doubt.

Vawn

Banned
Those of us who grew up with Atari or NES were born at the perfect time. I feel like I'm able to more appreciate what video games do now as I grew up imagining what might some day be possible.

I remember being blown away by Sega CD. The FMV stuff got old fast, but playing Lunar and hearing spoken dialog in a JRPG was mind blowing. But, that was just several minutes of select dialog spread across the entire game. I remember wondering if we'd ever get to the point where an entire game had spoken audio dialog.

So, it still blows my mind when I've been playing a game for 50 hours and the characters have been speaking for a huge chunk of that time. It's even more amazing when I do this on a tiny cartridge on a handheld, which I recently experienced with Fire Emblem Three Houses.

I'm sure for the younger generation this isn't even something they think twice about. But, to me, it is still amazing - even if sometimes we get games where the characters are talking TOO much and I'm ready for them to shut up so I can get back to playing the actual game.

Last edited:

imsosleepy

so far people have been mostly been focussed on the gameplay but god dam I CAN NOT WAIT to find out whats the story in this game and what kind of awesome characters we wil meet! Look at how many great characters witcher 3 had..

This game is going to be one hell of an experience and please let it sell over 30mil copies so they can continue to make such huge awesome games. We currently only have 2 developers doing this..
Rockstar and CDproject Red. Bethasda wil prob be bankrupt before elder scrols 6 comes out :messenger_tears_of_joy:

sol740

...Cyberpunk 2077’s plot is “much grander” than the “small human dramas” presented in The Witcher.

I fully expect this game to be my personal GOTY, but this line does give me a bit of concern. My least favorite parts of the Witcher 3 were the "grander" story elements of the White Frost, and Avallac'h, and The Wild Hunt.

Siri

Banned
Many of the best novels I’ve read and movies I’ve watched were short - so length has little to do with quality. I hope the game will be great though.

dottme

Many of the best novels I’ve read and movies I’ve watched were short - so length has little to do with quality. I hope the game will be great though.
There's however a big difference in video game. To finish the story, you probably won't see a lot of those dialog if they change based on your choice.
But I agree, more is not better.

Surely anybody who works in the industry or with transcripts would know this is to be expected and nothing out of the ordinary.

Dr.D00p

This doesn't impress me, at all.

After numerous hours of beyond tedious dialogue cut scenes in the TW3, I ended up just skipping most of them after I could take no more, So I could just get out and explore the world, none of the choices you make really matter, you always eventually end up at the same point as everyone else in these type of games.

Last edited:
S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds good. Although I did really enjoy the "small human drama" of the Witcher games. Hopefully that stuff is still in there, mixed into that grand scale.

Tschumi

I don't think the sincerity of their effort can be questioned.. I've said enough: their ambition outstripped their hardware.

harmny

Banned

lol yeah as a native spanish speaker i always noticed that in both games because we drop the pronouns all the time. i liked it.

however i don't think that's because the script is written in polish. i don't remember the name but their english adaptation director is a polish guy that speaks perfect english so he can definitely add pronouns where they belong. it has to be an artistic choice.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
No matter what the issues the story and characters are top notch.

Agreed. CDPR are second to none in gaming for me for characters I enjoy and having great little stories for even minor sidequest and some really great side quest story lines for the ongoing ones. That’s all I really wanted and expected as I didn’t like the gameplay all that much in The Witcher 3, but loved the game for the charters and stories.

Cyberpunk delivered for me in spades on those fronts and the XSX version wasn’t too bad with the glitches and only 2 crashes for me in 64 hours or so.

Woggleman

People keep talking all these games that are better and yes it is true they have better AI and CDPR need to work on that but how can I enjoy a game if I can't stand any of the characters. In GTA V I seriously wanted to punch 95% of the characters I met in the game so it made playing the story a chore. CP2077 bugs and all has tons of characters I truly care about.

Top Bottom