• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Creators of Pentiment and Dragon Age criticize Neil Druckmann's recent comments on AI

squarealex

It's just some "key word" to reassure Sony investors since all tech companies love talking AI bullshit to gain more investment.

Like 1 or 2 years ago, everyone loving talking bullshit blockchain / NFT

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
People scared of technology is sad. AI as a tool for game creation has nearly limitless potential.
No need for a staff of hundreds if 25 people + an AI can do the same job. Allowing smaller teams to compete with the big companies is a good thing.
Now let’s see if those potential savings find its way to the consumer. That should be a real worry. Either through cheaper games, or more quality choices of games, maybe a bit of both.

FeralEcho

No wonder Neil Cuckman would jump on the AI bandwagon considering that he is creatively bankrupt now that his muse Anita Sarkesian or whatever the fuck her shit name was has left gaming like a wet fart along with her diarrhea frequency.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
It's just some "key word" to reassure Sony investors since all tech companies love talking AI bullshit to gain more investment.
That is exactly what that is. Posted on the Sony Group website, not ps.blog, and on the same day that their "our vision" or whatever presentation was for the entire company.

I didn't think Neil could get more hackable...

And it's weird coming from him, because you would think one of the most artsy fartsy people in the industry would understand the severe damage that AI can/will have on art, human expression and intent.

But... He is a hack.
Being an artist, and being artsy fartsy are two different things...

Portugeezer

Gold Member
It sucks for people in the industry whos jobs will be affected, but it's the truth.

I didn't think Neil could get more hackable...

And it's weird coming from him, because you would think one of the most artsy fartsy people in the industry would understand the severe damage that AI can/will have on art, human expression and intent.

But... He is a hack.
Being an artist, and being artsy fartsy are two different things...
It's Sony stance, so he needs to go along with it. All the big companies want to make game development cheaper.

Last edited:
They aren't wrong.

What Druckmann needs to consider is what our current "AI" consists of and how it generates it's content.

Saying what he said is the quickest way to say "I'm bankrupt" from a creative standpoint.
I think he's got aspirations to possibly move into the movie industry but given his last piece of work TLOU2 I don't think you could call him creatively bankrupt.

Kokoloko85

They aren't wrong.

What Druckmann needs to consider is what our current "AI" consists of and how it generates it's content.

Saying what he said is the quickest way to say "I'm bankrupt" from a creative standpoint.
Does it?
It just means with ai, certain things will br easier to do and can be deeper. Like NPC interactions

Druckman's comments were addressing the impact of AI on wider game development.

These guys chose to interpret it as solely concerning writers.

That's a bizarre strawman.

I have yet to see AI content that is actually good. We had an exponential growth of AI, but I’m not convinced further development will be exponential.
Its writing is bad, the art is bad, the code is bad.
So far it’s been mostly hype and bullshit grifters, and that’ll continue for a while until we know if this is the real deal.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
AI is great as long as you're far enough up the ladder that it's only going to come for people behind you's job.

Until it does.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I have yet to see AI content that is actually good. We had an exponential growth of AI, but I’m not convinced further development will be exponential.
Its writing is bad, the art is bad, the code is bad.
So far it’s been mostly hype and bullshit grifters, and that’ll continue for a while until we know if this is the real deal.

I suspect that for a while it'll be a bit shonky and people will curate it's output:

"make me 50 versions of someone saying in the style of a us infantry in battle in a war film similar to Saving Private Ryan, Dunkirk"

Great shot
Close one
You can make it"

Then you'll go through the list and delete the ones you don't like, put it through the voice synthesiser to create the audio (five versions of each line, delete the ones that are no good) and boom, low level writing task done and no need to hire a voice artist.

Those big name voice artists that play big characters will be fine, because they'll get hired based on their social media following, ability to make headlines, skill at self promotion and the keenness of news outlets being willing to interview them. Same with the writers, the people that are known for their work already will be headline names, just like the voice artists.

I think we're a way off the AI not getting checked or not having human input and or critique and filtering of the work, but as time goes by, it'll be able to do more and more unsupervised.

samoilaaa

to create game assets , nature , buildings , filler objects etc. AI can definetly be very useful but when it comes to writting i dont think so

To create a good story it needs to be written by someone with feelings that has been through many things , that can think how his words might make the player feel

AI will create the same story but it will feel like it was written by a child , i dont think that it can simulate feelings/emphaty

Xtib81

Let's not act like most games have great stories. Most could be written by chatgpt. I'm currently playing avatar for example and I'd say they probably should've used AI lol

Last edited:

chlorate

Sawyer thinks posting image macros are funny but one easy example would be using AI to write and voice new context-dependent barks on the fly instead of just having every single NCR soldier talk about how patrolling the Mojave makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Does it?
It just means with ai, certain things will br easier to do and can be deeper. Like NPC interactions

It has it's uses, but current AI systems are only trained on content that humans have already created. They aren't able to be inventive in the same way that the best human minds can be.

"AI" (as we call it today) only has the means to be derivative.

Waiting for the first game where you get conversations like

"Did you see a mudcrab around here? I need to kill 10 of them"
"I'm sorry, but as an AI language model, I cannot help you harm animals..."

Hudo

I shall write an email to Microsoft asking them why there's no Copilot in Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Hugare

AI is a tool, so it can be as good or bad as you want it to be

Gaider and Sawyer are two men yelling at clouds

malcom tucker GIF

ProtoByte

Sounds like a bunch of no talent hacks getting upset of a forward thinking visionary that didn’t make any controversial statements
These guys, particularly Sawyer, aren't nobody's; they're exactly the type of industry "auteurs" that would've like their careers to reach the heights of where Druckmann's at. I think they've taken the seething hatred for him online as a pass to publicize their bitterness towards him. Indirectly, of course.

Kokoloko85

It has it's uses, but current AI systems are only trained on content that humans have already created. They aren't able to be inventive in the same way that the best human minds can be.

"AI" (as we call it today) only has the means to be derivative.

I dont think they are gonna use it to creat main stories and content. But probably fill in things between, like the matrix NPC ai demos

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
That a long winded way to say yes 🤨

Quit being a passive aggressive prick. Its ok for people to criticize him and his non existent output. A gorilla can remake the same shit over and over. 🤪🤪

I quit playing LOU after the first one which was damn near perfect IMO. After the bullshit he did with LOU2, no more for me and i wont touch anything he makes.

Last edited:

Tomeru

Quit being a passive aggressive prick. Its ok for people to criticize him and his non existent output. A gorilla can remake the same shit over and over. 🤪🤪

I quit playing LOU after the first one which was damn near perfect IMO. After the bullshit he did with LOU2, no more for me and i wont touch anything he makes.
Again with the long explanation...

But I'm putting my foot down. This is not reddit. And LoU2 is better than Lou1, even with the added agenda.

Also, he isn't saying anything ludicrous.

sachos

AI haters are thinking small imo.
Its not just about writting the whole script by itself, even if it never gets good enough to do that (i doubt it will not given current trends), AI will be/is good enough as a great brainstorming partner, it also is helpful to draft some crazy ideas to see how they would turn out and then you can come in and refine based on that. You can use the ever increasing context length to give the AI the whole context of your story so far and ask it to search for possible plot holes, suggest ideas for more interesting plot twists that then you can go and write yourself, etc.

SHA

When it comes to writing a story, whether it'd be in a movie or novel or a video game, it should always be written by a human, from a human perspective.
Current AI models are just theifs, they steal lines from others, they aren't creative by any stretch of imagination, he must be drunk or high.

SHA

Anyone not figuring out how to use AI won't have a company in 10 years

Cry about it all you want, that is the reality
Figuring out how this stuff is working is as important as using it, it has it's limitations, it's not perfect, if devs and engineers aren't aware of it's limitations, then, they don't know what they are doing.

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll

This is shit just being made by individuals using AI language and voices. This sort of thing is not possible with any sort of traditional development and could get way cooler if done by an actual developme team

Yep, this is the way to go. This will elevate game enjoyment to previously unknown heights. Thank you for showing me this, I think the future is already here.

OuterLimits

I think AI could be extremely beneficial in many things such as the medical field or improving weather forecasting.(particularly short range.. AI won't be superior to long range computer models like European or GFS anytime soon)

No thanks on wanting AI replacing humans when it comes to art or literature. Boring.

Top Bottom