• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I've been seeing a stat shared around that Florida has one of the lowest per capita COVID rates in the country despite being anti-mandate.

True or purposely misleading?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I've been seeing a stat shared around that Florida has one of the lowest per capita COVID rates in the country despite being anti-mandate.

It's possible it's true right now as they have reached their trough from their accelerated Delta wave. Overall I doubt it is true. For example after adjusting for population, my state of Virginia has roughly 2/3 the number of cases and deaths as Florida, and we have been pretty easy with the restrictions and have a lower unemployment rate than Florida.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Florida's rate has been going down since a couple of months ago, as would be expected since these things come and go in waves. I don't know what Florida's rates are now relative to other states, but it would be reasonable to assume that lots of Floridians achieved natural immunity because so many of them were exposed to the virus.

The downside of this "natural immunity", however, is that so many people were exposed to the actual virus which led to actual deaths. Vaccine immunity is much more preferable because you achieve the same immunological response, without putting people in danger.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Thats the overall, so yeah they are near the top there, but currently they only have roughly 2000 new cases per day for the whole state which is about 10 cases per 100000 pop.
Well I think if you look at post-vaccine introduction, Florida is leading the country in cases/deaths. The disparity in the curves between, say, New York and Florida is pretty striking - especially for deaths. So I'm not sure that being "anti-mandate" is helping. Having numbers come down after the variant has burned through the population and killed a bunch of people isn't really anything to celebrate.

Last edited:

T8SC

So two booster jabs a year for the rest of our lives?

Just watched a program that essentially said cases are up because "we were quick off the mark with vaccines and they're now wearing off" ... Amazing, can't wait to get jabbed twice a year for the rest of my life because this isn't going to just disappear.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
So two booster jabs a year for the rest of our lives?

Just watched a program that essentially said cases are up because "we were quick off the mark with vaccines and they're now wearing off" ... Amazing, can't wait to get jabbed twice a year for the rest of my life because this isn't going to just disappear.
What makes you think we'll need two booster "jabs" a year? Even Israel is only offering one.

Anyways, more illustrative data on the vaccine coming out Saskatchewan (Canada):
Vaccinated people are 6x less likely to be infected
13x less likely to be hospitalized
28x less likely to be admitted to the ICU

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/sas...ab-says-saskatchewan-at-fateful-turning-point

Last edited:

TheFarter

Banned
Tested positive today

Help me not die, GAF

Thanks
Remember this is a disease (here a virus) like many others. How do the doctors usually help people fighting a disease? Find a doctor that will help you (other than giving you a paracetamol).

Vaccine or not vaccine, treatments will help you. Good luck to you.

Last edited:
I am pro vaccine but i am 100% againist mandate. Since point, there ARE people who die from the vaccine and you cannot sue the drugmaker for the death. If it is mandatory and someone die from it, who do you blame? Drug maker who made the drug or the government who mdnate its requirement
Well that's true to some extent, but then why not use a vaccine with no chance of spontaneous deadly side-effects? Something less experimental-sounding than an mRNA vaccine to rewire your genetic response like some kind of Stargate 'retrovirus'?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Well that's true to some extent, but then why not use a vaccine with no chance of spontaneous deadly side-effects? Something less experimental-sounding than an mRNA vaccine to rewire your genetic response like some kind of Stargate 'retrovirus'?

Messenger RNA is being used right now by your cells to relay information and tell them to make whatever protein(s) they need. It's fundamental, and the vaccines certainly aren't "rewiring" anything. The scientists that developed it figured out they could use mRNA to tell cells to create the spike protein used by SARS-CoV-2. Your immune system then sees this new protein and says "hey this is foreign and bad - let's destroy them. Also, now we know how to destroy them in the future, fellow members of the immune system".

And it was experimental prior to their development (though they've been researching using mRNA in such a way for years now). Now they are extremely well known and been administered to billions of people. Like what could now be considered "traditional" vaccines, all they're doing is provoking a response and training one's immune system. It's not magic.

Last edited:
Messenger RNA is being used right now by your cells to relay information and tell them to make whatever protein(s) they need. It's fundamental, and the vaccines certainly aren't "rewiring" anything. The scientists that developed it figured out they could use mRNA to tell cells to create the spike protein used by SARS-CoV-2. Your immune system then sees this new protein and says "hey this is foreign and bad - let's destroy them. Also, now we know how to destroy them in the future, fellow members of the immune system".

And it was experimental prior to their development (though they've been researching using mRNA in such a way for years now). Now they are extremely well known and been administered to billions of people. Like what could now be considered "traditional" vaccines, all they're doing is provoking a response and training one's immune system. It's not magic.
Yes, but "traditional" viral vector vaccines just cause symptoms of the original disease, in lesser form. And there's the usual bout of people with peculiar allergies, because there's always someone allergic to something. But I don't think there's anything like the sudden death issues (i.e. heart issues) the user I was replying to referenced that are the problem with forcing people to vaccinate.

edit: Like, I understand the science behind it, but not the scope of engineering - biology is a friggin' complex thing, and while directly pulling the 'levers' via mRNA may be just as effective, there's always the danger of snagging the wrong lever in the process - a problem that's not present if you train the body via means it's designed for.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Yes, but "traditional" viral vector vaccines just cause symptoms of the original disease, in lesser form. And there's the usual bout of people with peculiar allergies, because there's always someone allergic to something. But I don't think there's anything like the sudden death issues (i.e. heart issues) the user I was replying to referenced that are the problem with forcing people to vaccinate.

They're ("traditional" vaccines) still just genetic material of some kind (modified germ, inert germ, whichever) that provokes the same immune response in the end. And all vaccines (and simpler inoculations) carry some risk.

Furthermore, just looking at the statistics between both major mRNA vaccines and J&J (which uses a disabled adenovirus like many pre-existing vaccines, as I am sure you know), we can conclude they're not significantly more risky, and in the case of Moderna, even far more effective. So win win.

Last edited:
They're ("traditional" vaccines) still just genetic material of some kind (modified germ, inert germ, whichever) that provokes the same immune response in the end. And all vaccines (and simpler inoculations) carry some risk.

Furthermore, just looking at the statistics between both major mRNA vaccines and J&J (which uses a disabled adenovirus like many pre-existing vaccines, as I am sure you know), we can conclude they're not significantly more risky, and in the case of Moderna, even far more effective. So win win.
Look, I'm not against mRNA vaccines. Whatever works as far as I'm concerned (but I still like that our Sputnik is of the viral vector kind, heh :p). I just want to understand why this is a problem:
I am pro vaccine but i am 100% againist mandate. Since point, there ARE people who die from the vaccine and you cannot sue the drugmaker for the death. If it is mandatory and someone die from it, who do you blame?
When it's basically impossible to die from a viral vector vaccine unless you are terminally immunocompromised or severely allergic - i.e. likely to die anyway if you come into contact with a virus and thus shouldn't set foot outside of a hospital cleanroom, and the entire discussion of vaccine mandates for you is pointless.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Look, I'm not against mRNA vaccines. Whatever works as far as I'm concerned (but I still like that our Sputnik is of the viral vector kind, heh :p). I just want to understand why this is a problem:

When it's basically impossible to die from a viral vector vaccine unless you are terminally immunocompromised or severely allergic - i.e. likely to die anyway if you come into contact with a virus and thus shouldn't set foot outside of a hospital cleanroom, and the entire discussion of vaccine mandates for you is pointless.

An individual doesn't only vaccinate to protect themselves, they do so to help protect everyone else. This way an outbreak can be squashed before it comes endemic, or can be managed if it happens to become endemic.

And if we're talking about statistics and percentages, it's "virtually impossible" to die from any vaccine, ever, including the new mRNA vaccines.

An individual doesn't only vaccinate to protect themselves, they do so to help protect everyone else. This way an outbreak can be squashed before it comes endemic, or can be managed if it happens to become endemic.

And if we're talking about statistics and percentages, it's "virtually impossible" to die from any vaccine, ever, including the new mRNA vaccines.
And therefore, why is that risk of death a problem? I'm not actually asking you at this point, I want to know that other user's point of view.

I never got the shots. Not anti vax, just dumb

I don't feel too bad honestly 😕
Even if you don't feel like anything's happening to you, I'd still recommend getting a scan of your lungs done in a week or so. Just to stay on the safe side. It's an insidious thing, it can do gradual damage that you may not notice until it's too late. Just speaking anecdotally here, a friend of my mother's was also mostly asymptomatic until she started coughing and went to do a scan. Turned out she already had like 30% of her lungs damaged and had to be hospitalized.

It obviously doesn't hit everyone the same, but I would still recommend due diligence.

SpiceRacz

Can I interest you all in Dr. Fauci confirmed lying in hearings, and Senator Rand Paul was correct all along about gain-of-functuon research in Wuhan?

Im Not Surprised Nate Diaz GIF by UFC

poppabk

edit: Like, I understand the science behind it, but not the scope of engineering - biology is a friggin' complex thing, and while directly pulling the 'levers' via mRNA may be just as effective, there's always the danger of snagging the wrong lever in the process - a problem that's not present if you train the body via means it's designed for.
The mRNA approach is more similar to the way natural infection works, not less. When you get infected with a virus, you get the viral RNA or DNA 'injected' into your cells, and from there it starts making viral proteins inside your cells, same as how the mRNA vaccines work.

poppabk

poppabk

He describes what would be considered gain-of-function research by the definition, but avoids using the term, yes.
No he doesn't.
Edit: Gain of function - I mean it exactly describes what it is. It means performing genetic alterations or using selective pressure to allow an organism to gain a function it previously didn't have. For semantic purposes you could say they were performing mouse gain of function research, but we aren't having a problem with deadly mice, but with a deadly coronavirus.

Last edited:

QSD

No he doesn't.
Edit: Gain of function - I mean it exactly describes what it is. It means performing genetic alterations or using selective pressure to allow an organism to gain a function it previously didn't have. For semantic purposes you could say they were performing mouse gain of function research, but we aren't having a problem with deadly mice, but with a deadly coronavirus.

As far as I understand that article, it's the virus that's gaining functions, not the mice, who only got sicker. They were trying to make the virus more transmissible...?

Cyberpunkd

Hello! Long time no post.

News from France: government managed to give itself a possibility to extend the vaccination pass till end of summer next year. The vote passed by one so…GG!

Also the tests stopped being free last week for those that are not vaccinated and without the medical prescription.

Also in typical French fashion ‘we are thinking about it’ aka ‘we will do it 100%’ those eligible for a third dose will probably need to take it if they want vaccination certificate to remain valid.

That’s all for now, vive la France, vive la république!

emmanuel macron GIF by franceinfo

TheContact

what's the reason the US would support this kind of research? seems like a bad idea all around. trust china? no thanks.
something to note too is that gain of function wasn't performed with the covid virus, so it didn't lead to covid
and while fauci said otherwise under oath, it's possible he wasn't aware of any NIH research, but then he should have said "i'm not aware", unless it was kept from him.
if he deliberately lied, then he should be charged.

Top Bottom