• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Black Panther surpass Terminator 2?

mars20

Neo Member
It's an above average movie for me, I don't know, maybe I'm just getting tired of superhero movies it has been running for what now? more than a decade...

Kacho

No. The hyperbole surrounding BP will die off in time and the movie will be forgotten. BP was fine but it's ultimately ust another disposable action movie. It doesn't come close to reaching the highs and quality of something like T2.

Makariel

I find it hard to get excited for superhero movies at this point, and haven't really been keeping up with the MCU since Civil War. I made the mistake to watch CW out of sequence, which left me utterly confused about new characters I haven't seen before and events that were vaguely mentioned but never explained (I don't know much about the comics, only read a few DC comics back in the days). I caught up with Ultron afterwards on Netflix, then CW started to make sense in hindsight. Other than Guardians of the Galaxy (so far...) all MCU movies form this giant bunch of threads and plots and characters, and missing out on one can already be very confusing, missing a bunch makes some movies completely nonsensical. So can Black Panther now be watched on its own, or do I also come out completely confused because they just throw a bunch of characters and background storylines at me that don't make sense out of context? I assume there is some big CGI-megabattle in the closing act, because that has to be there by MCU law?

Alx

BP is a standalone movie, you can watch it without knowing about the other movies and still appreciate everything. There is just one character that was introduced in the previous movie, a guy from the CIA, but that's basically all you need to know about him.
Since you've watched CW already, you know all you need to know (and it will be recapped at the beginning of the movie anyway).

I find it hard to get excited for superhero movies at this point, and haven't really been keeping up with the MCU since Civil War. I made the mistake to watch CW out of sequence, which left me utterly confused about new characters I haven't seen before and events that were vaguely mentioned but never explained (I don't know much about the comics, only read a few DC comics back in the days). I caught up with Ultron afterwards on Netflix, then CW started to make sense in hindsight. Other than Guardians of the Galaxy (so far...) all MCU movies form this giant bunch of threads and plots and characters, and missing out on one can already be very confusing, missing a bunch makes some movies completely nonsensical. So can Black Panther now be watched on its own, or do I also come out completely confused because they just throw a bunch of characters and background storylines at me that don't make sense out of context? I assume there is some big CGI-megabattle in the closing act, because that has to be there by MCU law?

Yes, and it looks BAD.
But the movie is self contained. You don't need an MCU encyclopedia.

Jon Neu

Banned

notaskwid

Are you the post police?

Ryan Coogler is the New Steven Spielberg: ‘Black Panther’ Cements the Rise of Hollywood’s Commercial Auteur
http://www.indiewire.com/2018/02/ryan-coogler-interview-black-panther-steven-spielberg-1201929249/

The hyperbole around this movie just for the celebration of some political agenda is becoming more ridiculous everyday.
Are you feeling threatened?

Black Panther is just a superhero film specifically catered to you-know-who

T2 is a classic by every standard

I didn't know that lord Voldemort enjoyed muggle super hero movies.

Last edited:

Trey

I have yet to say to someone to "stay in your lane" because I don't like their opinions.

So no.

It was friendly advice given that person was clearly out of their depth. It would have taken less time and effort to just type "I don't know what I'm talking about, but I don't like that people enjoy this movie in part because of black representation."

Which, sure, is an opinion, but one of shallow range.

Last edited:

Paracelsus

Time will tell if BP will be a classic on the same level as T2, not scores. Ghostbusters 2016 is a 74 RT movie that is actually a low 30 RT movie that was quickly forgotten. Marvel movies, like all cookie cutter superhero movies, tend to be forgotten fairly quickly because the truth is few people take superhero movies seriously. Wonder Woman got 92 for being just a fun unapologetic superhero movie from DC, instead of an edgy dark miserable gritty smoky nightmare. The Dark Knight Rises is an 87 RT that was mostly garbage, and in fact nobody bothers with it, they all go back to cherish TDK. That's when you know a movie is timeless.

You could make the same argument with videogames, in that RT is at this point the Famitsu of movies: it rates hype, not the movie. TLJ score was all hype, and we saw how that went. As for the movie itself: T2 strongest point was the action, the reviews for BP seems to laude everything but the action. Then again, TDK wasn't lauded for its action either, it was all about The Joker.

carlosrox

Banned
I honestly don't even remember if I saw the movie or not.

Utterly forgettable. Not even in the same fucking universe as T2.

HoodWinked

the lead-up and story isn't terrible but the climax of the film is awful.

its perfect that this is uploaded by IGN cause this looks like a PS2 cinematic.

SpiceRacz

Come the fuck on.

583f8684-b4e1-4363-ba5f-ee23422a830d.gif

I thought it was a bit racist.
And well, the CGI was trash tier.

Other than that, I was as entertained as with all the other Marvel movies.

It's not like they try to be Citizen Kane.

DonJorginho

Banned
The Irishman was a pretty underwhelming film but the scene where Rob and Joe Pesci sit there eating bread was more entertaining and had more to write home about than anything in this terrible film.

Black Panther is only rated because it was a heavily black influenced production so was labelled as the saviour for black cinema and African representation, I am glad it gave more exposure in that way, but that won't stop me labelling this film as it is, a piece of trash which almost every other Marvel film outdone, let alone actually great action films like T2 or actual cinematic masterpieces like Taxi Driver, There Will Be Blood or Good Time.

The Irishman was a pretty underwhelming film but the scene where Rob and Joe Pesci sit there eating bread was more entertaining and had more to write home about than anything in this terrible film.

Black Panther is only rated because it was a heavily black influenced production so was labelled as the saviour for black cinema and African representation, I am glad it gave more exposure in that way, but that won't stop me labelling this film as it is, a piece of trash which almost every other Marvel film outdone, let alone actually great action films like T2 or actual cinematic masterpieces like Taxi Driver, There Will Be Blood or Good Time.
I have a theory. I think the average american is terrified of being perceived as a racist. So they went in droves to watch black panther to show how good allies they were.
Which is ironic because, in my opinion, black panther is racist as fuck.

This was a thread? This was a thought that someone thought? Better than T2? Really?

Mister Apoc also made a thread about how spears were better than fire arms or something.

nkarafo

If it wasn't for the whole pandering and virtue signalling, Black Panther would barely make it as a straight to DVD movie.

By far the most overhyped piece of cinema ever released. I went in wondering what the fuss was about, and left thinking: This is the same mindless entertaining flick that Marvel has been serving for years. And they had the temerity to have it nominated for film of the year...I mean, I get that it meant a lot for Black Americans (Well, not all of them), but to be so audacious as to refer to it as some kind of masterpiece? The Winter Soldier is a better movie in terms of direction, pacing, action set pieces and special effects, and I have yet to hear anybody hailing it as a cinematographic triumph. Incomprehensible, really...
Anyway, RIP Chadwick Boseman. He was very well cast and had charisma for ages. Sad news...

Last edited:

mcz117chief

I watched it on a plane 2 years ago, I made it to about 30 minutes, the movie is just boring. I spent the rest of the flight looking out the window listening to MJ, it was far more entertaining.

Last edited:

Gp1

By far the most overhyped piece of cinema ever released. I went in wondering what the fuss was about, and left thinking: This is the same mindless entertaining flick that Marvel has been serving for years. And they had the temerity to have it nominated for film of the year...I mean, I get that it meant a lot for Black Americans (Well, not all of them), but to be so audacious as to refer to it as some kind of masterpiece? The Winter Soldier is a better movie in terms of direction, pacing, action set pieces and special effects, and I have yet to hear anybody hailing it as a cinematographic triumph. Incomprehensible, really...
Anyway, RIP Chadwick Boseman. He was very well cast and had charisma for ages. Sad news...

Exactly what I think.

Black Panther is an average Marvel movie, with garbage CGI and a great art direction. The hype that this movie received shows Disney marketing/hype machine at its finest. Winter soldier imho is the best marvel movie.

And TI2 is miles ahead of both. I think that even TI 2 CGIs aged better than those in BP. That last fight is really distracting.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
the politics in the movie are batshit stupid and actually pretty right wing. they have a giant border wall and are even more isolationist than Trump. the only African American in the movie is the main villain. all other black people fall into the Good Immigrants stereotype. at the end, the hero turns Wakanda's natural resources over to the CIA, so way to go, you couldn't help your suffering African neighbors but are giving high technology to the CIA, so woke, so great. then there is the tropey b-movie nature of Wakanda, all the straw huts and spear chucking, leadership determined by contest of brute strength, all straight out of a 1920s racist jungle film. no wonder all the brain dead libs loved it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom