• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Contraband, Avalanche studios /Microsoft

This I feel is very interesting, with all the studios Microsoft have now, it seems they want to get more exclusives from third parties.

"We’re incredibly excited to work together with a partner such as Xbox Game Studios and look forward to laying the foundation for a long-standing partnership,”
It seems this will be a long term partnership with Microsoft publishing and ownership of the IP.

Kuranghi

Just Cause 3 is by far the best one, 4 was alright but a let down, need that true sequel in 5, or I guess in a spiritual successor as this Contraband IP.

Maybe a cross between Just Cause, Mercenaries and Smuggler's Run?

xrnzaaas

Just Cause 3 is by far the best one, 4 was alright but a let down, need that true sequel in 5, or I guess in a spiritual successor as this Contraband IP.

For me Just Cause 3 was complete trash and not just because of how it ran on the consoles. I bought the game on day1 and oh boy it was such a huge miss, I immediately went on to skipping JC4.

Kuranghi

For me Just Cause 3 was complete trash and not just because of how it ran on the consoles. I bought the game on day1 and oh boy it was such a huge miss, I immediately went on to skipping JC4.

What didnt work for you? I loved the movement around the world with the wingsuit, the physics destruction was excellent and still not really surpassed, the challenges were all pretty fun to figure out to ace, the wingsuit courses were brilliant for me also, felt so epic.

I really loved the way the world looked, the colours, I like finding the hidden vehicles and bringing them back to the garage to keep like old GTA Vice City days.

Its genuinely one of my favoruite games of all time. I love it.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

They once said in an interview that the reason they couldn't do co-op in Just Cause last gen was because the netbook CPUs in the PS4 and XB1 weren't powerful enough to handle the physics from 2 players causing chaos, especially if those physics had to interact with each other. But now they could easily do it, so obviously now is the time for Just Cause 5 with full drop-in drop-out co-op. It's something all the fans want. Avalanche knows this and trolled hard by announcing co-op was finally coming to Just Cause only to reveal a mobile game. I agree that Just Cause 3 was the best but Just Cause 4 had some really cool things I really enjoyed like the "Solis Pro Tour" which was like a puzzle mode where you'd have a ring with a vehicle type shown and it was your job to get that vehicle through that ring by any means at your disposal. Hopefully they will expand that mode in JC5. Imagine that mode in co-op, we could have Portal 2 levels of co-op greatness.

This I feel is very interesting, with all the studios Microsoft have now, it seems they want to get more exclusives from third parties.

"We’re incredibly excited to work together with a partner such as Xbox Game Studios and look forward to laying the foundation for a long-standing partnership,
It seems this will be a long term partnership with Microsoft publishing and ownership of the IP.

I wouldn't be surprised if Avalanche ends up getting acquired by Microsoft

By the way, no details have been shared about the game, right?

Kuranghi

They once said in an interview that the reason they couldn't do co-op in Just Cause last gen was because the netbook CPUs in the PS4 and XB1 weren't powerful enough to handle the physics from 2 players causing chaos, especially if those physics had to interact with each other. But now they could easily do it, so obviously now is the time for Just Cause 5 with full drop-in drop-out co-op. It's something all the fans want. Avalanche knows this and trolled hard by announcing co-op was finally coming to Just Cause only to reveal a mobile game. I agree that Just Cause 3 was the best but Just Cause 4 had some really cool things I really enjoyed like the "Solis Pro Tour" which was like a puzzle mode where you'd have a ring with a vehicle type shown and it was your job to get that vehicle through that ring by any means at your disposal. Hopefully they will expand that mode in JC5. Imagine that mode in co-op, we could have Portal 2 levels of co-op greatness.

I did really enjoy some of them but I was also thinking how much more fun it would be with coop, it kinda felt like the game maybe HAD coop and then they bailed on it.

xrnzaaas

What didnt work for you? I loved the movement around the world with the wingsuit, the physics destruction was excellent and still not really surpassed, the challenges were all pretty fun to figure out to ace, the wingsuit courses were brilliant for me also, felt so epic.

I really loved the way the world looked, the colours, I like finding the hidden vehicles and bringing them back to the garage to keep like old GTA Vice City days.

Its genuinely one of my favoruite games of all time. I love it.
Lemme think:
- most of the missions in the game are about protecting stuff instead of blowing shit up
- pointless damage meter (forgot what it was called)
- horribly designed challenge system that was tied to player progression, plus you can't opt out of the online leaderboards
- vehicles (especially motorcycles) handling like shit

It's a shame we didn't get a JC2 remaster for the PS4/XONE, because that was my favorite entry in the series.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Lemme think:
- most of the game is about protecting stuff instead of blowing shit up
- pointless damage meter (forgot what it was called)
- horribly designed challenge system, you can't opt out of the online leaderboards
- vehicles (especially motorcycles) handling like shit

It's a shame we didn't get a JC2 remaster for the PS4/XONE, because that was my favorite entry in the series.

Uhhh, are you talking about the story missions? I dont remember them, I just grinded them out when I had to. I spent 99% of my time blowing everything up in each town/base. The vehicles were pretty naff but I got used to the style quite quickly, and I mostly wingsuited anyway.

Anyway, I'm not here to contradict and berate you for not liking what I did, you've obviously made up your mind about it, so sorry you didnt get on with it, maybe Contraband will be for you though.

I've reinstalled the game based on this thread lol, can't wait to try it again with scanline-sync and finally see it running without sync stutters or tearing, its only been like 6 years haha.

xrnzaaas

Uhhh, are you talking about the story missions? I dont remember them, I just grinded them out when I had to. I spent 99% of my time blowing everything up in each town/base. The vehicles were pretty naff but I got used to the style quite quickly, and I mostly wingsuited anyway.

Anyway, I'm not here to contradict and berate you for not liking what I did, you've obviously made up your mind about it, so sorry you didnt get on with it, maybe Contraband will be for you though.

I've reinstalled the game based on this thread lol, can't wait to try it again with scanline-sync and finally see it running without sync stutters or tearing, its only been like 6 years haha.
Yes I was talking about the story missions. A lot of them were about defending stuff (and losing the mission if you've failed) and that's just not to what I expect from a game like this, even if there's still destruction during free exploration or side content. I've read in some reviews that Just Cause 4 has these types of missions as well so I didn't even bother playing it.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Yes I was talking about the story missions. A lot of them were about defending stuff (and losing the mission if you've failed) and that's just not to what I expect from a game like this, even if there's still destruction during free exploration. I've read in some reviews that Just Cause 4 has these types of missions as well so I didn't even bother playing it.

I honestly can't remember hardly a single story mission from the game because my brain was off for them, don't let that garbage get you down, I recommend going back to it and just turn on cheats for the story missions to get them out of the way quickly if you hate them that much.

Wingsuiting around that world is still a better traversal experience than basically any other game I've played it. Its worth enduring some shitty defend missions so you can get back to gliding around the world like a death falcon, surveying the landscape from above, then swooping down to rip down some giant smoke stacks and rocket into the sky in between the towers as they fall.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
not trying to be negative, but all recent avalanche titles were awful, especially their JC franchise.

CitizenZ

Banned
Another Mad Max or fcking get their shit together with Generation Zero. Max was very good IMO but fuck me, GZ needs someone with a plan.

Leave the old CPU behind, and go all out on the open world shenanigans. I hope Avalanche finds their way back to old strength.

CitizenZ

Banned
not trying to be negative, but all recent avalanche titles were awful, especially their JC franchise.

Yea that franchise was never good and when they released 3 w/o co op pretty much killed it. If they waste resources and $$$ on another one, they might as well sell now.

bender

What time is it?

I beat it on PS4. Fuck you OCD. You are spot. Shit game with equally bad performance.

jonnyp

I liked Mad Max even though it has major improvement potential. Not much to say about that cinematic trailer of Contraband though.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Avalanche working on anything else than Just Cause 5 is not good news to me.
Maybe they will bench JC and Contraband becomes JC with the samey gameplay.
I will definitely buy gamepass to play a new gen Just Cause game. JC2 is still etched in my brain.

Top Bottom