• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Congrats hackers, you made devs work on a Sunday!!

G Boaty

Banned
What this story leaves out is that this job and hacks like this are what allows him to afford the luxury of even having a nephew.
Are you saying the hackers got his sister pregnant?

Dev comes off as a whiner. Did he ever work retail, you gotta work weekends all the time. One of my first jobs was manager in a large retail store and I had to go in all the time on my days off, sometimes work over night and during xmas it was 80 hour weeks.
And you never complained, right?

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

I think most people misunderstand the point of the developer. He's saying that they're perfectly aware of the issues, are working on them anyway, and hacking the game (or other games) to complain only makes it worse for the people trying to fix it.
Sure it's their job to go to the bridge when an issue appears, but you can't expect them to congratulate people creating those issues, especially when they claim they're doing it "to help". It's like some ER doctor having to work overtime because some smart-asses created accidents to show that ER services aren't efficient. Sure it's part of their job to work overtime, but it doesn't mean it's fine to make them do so on purpose.
It's GAF. Anything remotely liberal reminds them of Era, so they just trash talk it. Unfortunately, its a very tough place to discuss anything that has to do with humans.

Lord Thunderbear

Neo Member
That dev should blame his superiors for selling a product that hasn't been working for several months to date, rather than the customers that want the product they paid for and that had to resort to such extreme measures because this is the only field in which you're allowed to sell products that are completely broken to start with.

I'm still not sure that's entirely legal.
I'd argue that platform holders should take it off their stores until it's functioning again.

That's pretty much a scam, currently.
It would be interesting for a journalist to actually research the law regarding that issue, and more specifically exactly where the line is, if there is even is one. Can you sell a game that never worked online? It's an interesting subject. Instead we're given pro corporation anti consumer articles full of weasel words like this:

If you visit savetitanfall.com, you’ll find a short manifesto outlining the ways that developer Respawn has failed to combat cheaters in the original Titanfall and for years has swept the issue under the rug. This, according to the website creator, is an act of fraud. “Respawn and Electronic Arts have the resources to fix these issues,” the website states. “Yet they don’t, knowingly continuing to sell a game that does not work as advertised, and doesn’t work at all.”

The real unforgivable act, according to the article and headline, is a developer being asked to work on a Sunday because of the actions of a lone hacker that is held up as a metaphorical burning effigy representing "selfish" and "entitled" gamers, and not the massive company knowingly selling a broken product for YEARS.

I don't agree with Apex being attacked, but the way this article frames the situation is trash, yet in no way surprising for legacy gaming media.

Last edited:

Miles708

It would be interesting for a journalist to actually research the law regarding that issue, and more specifically exactly where the line is, if there is even is one. Can you sell a game that never worked online? It's an interesting subject. Instead we're given pro corporation anti consumer articles full of weasel words like this:

The real unforgivable act, according to the article and headline, is a developer being asked to work on a Sunday because of the actions of a lone hacker that is held up as a metaphorical burning effigy representing "selfish" and "entitled" gamers, and not the massive company knowingly selling a broken product for YEARS.

I don't agree with Apex being attacked, but the way this article frames the situation is trash, yet in no way surprising for legacy gaming media.

I kinda think both these things (the game being unplayabe, and the developers having to work overtime because of whiny hackers) can both be true and bad at the same time (regardless of the tone of the article, which I'm not discussing here).

As you say, it would be extremely nteresting to have a sort of legal context on the matter, especially considering the recent (and unheard of) decision of Sony to take off Cyberpunk 2077 from their store, officially for similar reasons: game not working properly.

As the game is currently still sold without even a warning, I wonder if this can be class-action material.

Shifty1897

I suspect that anybody that works on a live service game has a similar situation to someone who works on an on call profession(ie. EMTs, firefighters). It sucks but it is what it is.
100%. If your product is available for use 24/7, being on a rotating on-call schedule to support it is just part of the gig.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Maybe.
Just maybe.
It's the executives that don't want to place resources on fixing the problem.
And y'all targeting the genuine workers.

Just a thought, don't mind me.
it's an uninformed take.

If executives applying resources could prevent DDOS attacks and hacking attempts then they would. You don't make money if your services go down or people can steal your resources.

The IT landscape is constantly changing and bad actors are always multiple steps ahead when it comes to ability to disrupt. That's why people who elect to have jobs in IT supporting live services have to work when attacks happen. This guy having to go do his job is literally executives placing resources they're paying for on a solution to the problem. If having to do that job is a problem for him then he should find a different job.

Kuranghi

The real story here is that he apparently delivered his own nephew, imagine seeing your sisters business in that (or any) state, haunting.

birth GIF

poor dev. sorry but shit happens. surely they knew if something like this happened they'd need to come in. that's part of your job.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
Did you not read the post I was responding to?

"Things should be closed on Sundays as it's the lord's day"
BTW, that's how it is in Germany. And as someone who used to work as hotel front desk slave, every damn Sunday, I fucking agree with it. You don't NEED to do your shopping and shit on a Sunday. People who've never had to work when everyone else was enjoying time with their family and friends don't know how much that shit erodes you over time.

Interfectum

I mean, their games are running 24/7... or course there will be inconvenient non-working hour times they have to go into work. I work in tech as well and I've gotten 2-3am calls about something going down or not working correctly. It's the nature of the business. You don't want to be important enough to be called in on the weekends? Go flip burgers or something.

Last edited:
I mean, their games are running 24/7... or course there will be inconvenient non-working hour times they have to go into work. I work in tech as well and I've gotten 2-3am calls about something going down or not working correctly. It's the nature of the business. You don't want to be important enough to be called in on the weekends? Go flip burgers or something.
but...but...they were literally HOLDING their newborn nephew and had to hand it straight back.

don't you understand!?!?

/s

G Boaty

Banned
BTW, that's how it is in Germany. And as someone who used to work as hotel front desk slave, every damn Sunday, I fucking agree with it. You don't NEED to do your shopping and shit on a Sunday. People who've never had to work when everyone else was enjoying time with their family and friends don't know how much that shit erodes you over time.
Dude I worked in bars and callcenters fora lot of my adult working life, I know ALL about working anti social hours. I worked every Christmas, New Years, Bank Holiday etc for years, often until 3 or 4am. I didn't experience weekends off until I was near in my 30's.

I don't NEED to do my shopping on a Sunday, but no one is going to tell me that I can't because they believe in some God that I don't.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
They haven't addressed jack and they need to get serious with the hackers moving forward with cross-play on all of these future titles.

If it's too much for Mr. Rigney to get to work on a Sunday then I expect him to look into other avenues of work. Seriously man, there are people working gruesome jobs out there in the elements/dangerous equipment/away from families for months please spare me your bullshit. I would be embarrassed sitting here behind my work desk complaining.

Miles708

it's an uninformed take.

If executives applying resources could prevent DDOS attacks and hacking attempts then they would. You don't make money if your services go down or people can steal your resources.

The IT landscape is constantly changing and bad actors are always multiple steps ahead when it comes to ability to disrupt. That's why people who elect to have jobs in IT supporting live services have to work when attacks happen. This guy having to go do his job is literally executives placing resources they're paying for on a solution to the problem. If having to do that job is a problem for him then he should find a different job.

That's true, the tweet I guess was directed more towards "hackers" who thought they did something right, while (I'm reality) only inconveniencing regular and innocent employees.

That said, online services get dropped all the time and, at some point, someone must think that it's just too much hassle for too little money. Ask Sony how they're doing with their year-long down on LBP games.

What I'm getting at is that leaving an online service offline can be an economical strategy, more than a technical one. So on one side you have a big publisher unwilling to tell the truth (that they're not supporting this legacy nightmare code anymore) because they're scared of economical consequences, and on the other, disgruntled employees caught in the cross fire between the publisher and the angry nerds who can't play.

Patrick S.

Banned
I don't NEED to do my shopping on a Sunday, but no one is going to tell me that I can't because they believe in some God that I don't.
Well, I guess not, since you're not in Germany :)

I don't believe in God either, but accept that the German society is (still) mostly Christian, and that closing non essential stores and services on a Sunday is a way of following that culture.

G Boaty

Banned
Well, I guess not, since you're not in Germany :)

I don't believe in God either, but accept that the German society is (still) mostly Christian, and that closing non essential stores and services on a Sunday is a way of following that culture.

A quick google search tells me cinemas and bars are still open on Sundays. Hardly "essential" services.

TheAssist

Oh I'm so sorry you had to work on a Sunday poor you. Thank fuck I only work in a hospital doing 12 plus hours 5 or 6 days a week. I'm only doing 6 days this week including Sunday but forget little old me
Always weird to see that just because you have it bad, everyone should have it bad.

The problem is that not enough resources are allocated to certain areas and hence the existing work force has to work more. But then people get in this mentality that instead of solving the underlying issue, everyone should have it as bad as them, because clearly that will solve the problem of wealthy people hording their money and not spending it on their own company to employ enough people so everyone can have a normal 40 hour work week.

I dont want you to work that much. Its not healthy in the long run. And its to no use for either your personal gain or the health of any of your patients, since you tend to make more mistakes. Literally no one is profiting here, other than the company running the hospital, or the state that rather spends billions on military and other non infrastructure, non humanitarian projects (I've seen this year how inefficiently our state has spend money on the vaccination program, its ridiculous. But at the same time they dont have the money to employ enough doctors and nurses somehow. State funded Hospitals are loosing nurses and doctors to the state funded vaccination sites because pay and working hours are MUCH better there).

I will always think about people like you who sacrifice their quality of life and well being for the sake of others without proper compensation. But that doesnt mean I cant also think of other peoples well being, even if they do not work in infrastructure critical work or dont have it as bad as you. I just dont want you to become part of the problem (as in being exploitable without much repercussion for those who do the exploiting).

MiguelItUp

Stuff like this will ALWAYS suck. But the harsh reality of it is, if you don't want to be in a career that could require extra time from you, maybe you shouldn't do it. Here's to hoping they're at least being treated well. In my time in the AAA industry I missed out on so many things because of excessive working. Do I have regrets? Most definitely! But at the same time I was dedicated, moving up, doing well, etc.

It just kind of came with the territory, much like you'd never do QA for a AAA dev and expect no crunching, it IS going to happen. If it doesn't make you happy, well, then it may be time to look into something else.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I have also had to put down my newborn nephew because I had to go to work once.

And when I say newborn nephew I mean my bottle of bourbon, and when I say work I mean an AA meeting.

In short: games devs are moaning, entitled little shits sometimes, aren’t they?

I swear game developers bitch more than any other industry. I worked software for years where there were times of mandatory over time or working on the occasional weekend. I never took it to social media.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Pretty much everyone working in IT has to work on weekends once in a while. I work for an insurance company and 3/4 times per year there are deployments done on weekends, tough shit. We get double pay and have 35 days of paid leave per year anyway.

Most IT jobs in the US are salary based so when we have to work weekends for things we dont get extra anything. So yeah, "tough shit" and you still get paid on the weekends....lol you're not in the same boat as most IT people who are on salary, so bug off with that

arvfab

Banned
Well, the hackers did also work on sunday and probably prepared the whole thing during their free time, without getting paid for it..... 🙃

Hellmaker

Posts like these always make me chuckle.

How is this in any way relevant to this thread? You do that job out of your own volition, yes?

RpB5Jl1.gif

Yeah so a developer can cry cause he had to work on a sunday, but he shouldn't post his own short cry of agony?
I work in healthcare too, and it just seems bizzare when a dev describes his going to work on a sunday like having to land on a fucking Omaha beach...

Hugare

People missing the forrest for the trees here

Not surprised, of course

People hacking the game because of chaters is just so fucking childish and unjustifiable.

This is an old last gen game that they already had their money worth by now.

Reactions: Alx

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Holy shit, someone had to work? At their job? Where they get paid? This is inexcusable.

Paging Jason Schreier

Last edited:

Impotaku

You do that job out of your own volition, yes?
So do the devs nobody is holding a gun to their heads, so why the fuck should we care that they had to work a weekend, how outrageous it is to expect them to fix their shitty broken game it's not like anyone paid for it and expected a finished product or anything.

Source: https://www.thegamer.com/congrats-titanfall-hackers-you-made-a-bunch-of-devs-work-on-a-sunday/

nLucFU.jpg

Apex Legends is currently offline thanks to a cyber-attack from the Titanfall community. If you log into the game on PC, you’ll be greeted by a message that says “visit and repost savetitanfall.com” and find that the only available game mode SAVETITANFALL.COM, which launches training mode. You can’t select any other playlist right now. An hour ago, Respawn tweeted that it was investigating the issue. Apex Legends has been offline on PC for over 10 hours.

If you visit savetitanfall.com, you’ll find a short manifesto outlining the ways that developer Respawn has failed to combat cheaters in the original Titanfall and for years has swept the issue under the rug. This, according to the website creator, is an act of fraud. “Respawn and Electronic Arts have the resources to fix these issues,” the website states. “Yet they don’t, knowingly continuing to sell a game that does not work as advertised, and doesn’t work at all.”

The hack on Apex Legends is a desperate attempt to draw attention to savetitanfall.com — whose staff has publically disavowed the hack — and the Titanfall community that is fed up with hackers in the game. While the stunt has certainly brought a lot of attention to the issue, it will no doubt fail in its ultimate mission to eliminate cheaters from Titanfall. The only thing this example of extreme gamer entitlement will accomplish is getting a bunch of devs to work overtime on a holiday weekend.

The issues that face Titanfall and its community are not unique to that game, but rather endemic to the entire online/live service industry. The most popular, profitable games in the world — including Apex Legends — are in a constant battle with cheaters and hackers. Older games with smaller player bases receive less support and therefore less work is being done to stop cheaters. This is just basic economics, and attacking a different game made by different people isn’t going to change that.

Lmao fuck off.

You make games, not save lives, stop crime, fighting a war, or literally anything that has an actual impact on the lives and survival of humanity.

I fucking hate how game developers have hit a point where they think they're oh so important that every little thing that detracts them from their daily lives is some grand revelation that needs to be cheered on and applauded for.

Cry me a river.

reinking

Gold Member
I wonder how many people making fun of a dev having to work on a holiday Sunday were sitting on their butts when this guy got called in? I mean, it is part of the job but it still sucks that he had to leave his family on the holiday because of some asshats.

Don't get the obsession some get with Devs. I don't know them personally and don't care if they have to "crunch" or whatever the hell.

JustN82

Neo Member

How is this in any way relevant to this thread? You do that job out of your own volition, yes?

RpB5Jl1.gif
I work in IT Healthcare and his post is relevant. I took my job knowing damn well that things mess up and that on occasion I will have to work on the weekend. We do quarterly Epic EMR updates which I have to work from 12-6AM which is rough but it is part of my job. The guy at Respawn surely knows the same thing may happen for him, but instead he gets on Twitter to complain about him having to work to fix an issue. We have to secure, prepare and even deal with ransomware attacks on hospitals that have only escalated in recent years. I don't get online and bitch every time I have to work on a Sunday; and even if I did it wouldn't get nearly as much attention as this guy is receiving.

MastaKiiLA

Maybe.
Just maybe.
It's the executives that don't want to place resources on fixing the problem.
And y'all targeting the genuine workers.

Just a thought, don't mind me.
So much this. People saying "lazy devs" are idiots who never worked in the software industry. Coders work hard. I manage a project, and my coders don't decide what gets done, I do. This is a management issue. They're the ones who control the prioritization of bug fixes.

I'll let you behind the curtain a little bit, all software has bugs in it. I know, shocking, right? There are always a list of known bugs. Most bugs are never seen or never reported by users. You live with the ones that don't break the app. The goal is always to address those bugs in due time, but they almost always live on due to new features and updates piling on top of them in the priority list. Then, eventually, a new project comes on, and you shift resources (coders) away from the old project, and over to the new one.

It's kind of a minimal viable product mentality. "Can I release this product in its current state, and have it be both usable and profitable?" If the answer to that question is "yes", then you roll it out. Working on a weekend is not fun. It's draining mentally. Software work is all logic work, and I say this as a non-coder. I still have to understand the BE and FE systems, and figure out how they interact with each other, in order to guide the devs through the process of fixing an issue. Most coders work at a sub-system level, and many probably don't even know how the game works. I know how my apps work better than all the coders on it, because I work at the highest level, and coordinate everything. So despite not writing a single line of code, the coders all rely on me to steer them so that when we implement a fix, we don't multiply the number of leaks in the pipe.

So, if you want to blame anyone for the ongoing bugs in a game or system, blame the product manager. It's their responsibility, just as a the name suggests. We actually manage things, and so we're responsible for prioritizing and overseeing fixes. The next group to blame after that is probably QA, because they didn't do rigorous enough testing to find the bugs before the users did. I'm always hesitant to blame QA, though, because you don't know what kind of tools or time they were given to perform the requisite testing. Something like security testing is pretty specialized, and not necessarily something that the majority of QA team members are capable of doing. That and the hackers are more numerous and more creative than QA, just as a matter of fact. You can't test every possible permutation, because you don't have unlimited time and resources to do so.

Have some respect for the people who make your games. Most gamer concerns fall on the shoulders of a few individuals within a company. No need to blast everyone on the project, most of whom do their jobs, but suffer the consequences of the mistakes of a few.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Dev comes off as a whiner. Did he ever work retail, you gotta work weekends all the time. One of my first jobs was manager in a large retail store and I had to go in all the time on my days off, sometimes work over night and during xmas it was 80 hour weeks.
And I'm sure you never complained about these things ever.

I'm sure if on a National Holiday during a family gathering you were called in, specifically because some assholes messed with your store.. you'd never mention it, ever? lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom