• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Commandos: Origins - Gameplay Teaser

I think this is a Gamepass one. Definitely will give it a shot. Really into Shadow Tactics / Desperados but never tried these.

GymWolf

The graphic doesn' have the charm of the old games.

NSwitch_Commandos2HDRemaster_04.jpg

NSwitch_Commandos2HDRemaster_02.jpg

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It does lack the visual flair of the original games, but I want to check it out - we just don't get enough in this genre anymore.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
You know, I really hoped that Mimimi would make a Commandos game one day...
Real sad what happened to them. We need more RTS and RTT games, I know you’re a man of culture who loves this genre also. Desperados 3 was a dope game, loved the first two back in the day as well. Shadow tactics is great also, I have not played the cursed crew yet but I imagine it is very good also.

Will definitely be picking this up.

Last edited:

Kusarigama

We could never complete even a single mission of Commandos 2 on our PC back in the days. Then we found out about cheats and so many enemies would keep coming out of the buildings. I used wonder how anybody could play that without cheats.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
We could never complete even a single mission of Commandos 2 on our PC back in the days. Then we found out about cheats and so many enemies would keep coming out of the buildings. I used wonder how anybody could play that without cheats.
Commandos 2 was fine difficulty wise, imo.

The expansion for the first game tho, Beyond the Call of Duty... I remember playing the demo level for days and never managed to beat it.

Last edited:

Hudo

Real sad what happened to them. We need more RTS and RTT games, I know you’re a man of culture who loves this genre also. Desperados 3 was a dope game, loved the first two back in the day as well. Shadow tactics is great also, I have not played the cursed crew yet but I imagine it is very good also.

Will definitely be picking this up.
Shadow Tactics and Desperados 3 were really great. I hear good things about Cursed Crew but I just really don't like pirates as a setting...

xrnzaaas

Shadow Tactics and Desperados 3 were really great. I hear good things about Cursed Crew but I just really don't like pirates as a setting...
Shadow Gambit was pretty good. You can be upset about SBI having their involvement and making the women the majority of the playable characters, but the gameplay was fine and on the level of their other games. Plenty of cool skills to use, being able to choose your squad was also a nice addition. And the environments looked lovely.

Hudo

You can be upset about SBI having their involvement and making the women the majority of the playable characters,
Believe me, SBI stuff or not wouldn't make a difference. There is just something that I don't gel with when it comes to pirates. Ironically, I do like movies like Master & Commander. I.e. where the actual navy is depicted.

But yeah, everything I've heard about Shadow Gambit is positive from a gameplay point of view. Which isn't too surprising. Mimimi knew how to make good "Commandos-likes".

Stafford

I truly hope it won't have the controls of the remasters on console, because that's not good at all. Going by this teaser it seems it will play like Desperados 3, Shadow Tactics etc. That is definitely the way to go.

This was dark souls before Demons Souls was a thing. Some of the most satisfying games.

Sentenza

Conversely I really like pirates as a setting, IN PRINCIPLE, but I wasn't really into that cartoony magic-purple-thing they came up with.

Anyway, you can tell from the get go that this is supposed to be a low budget thing and not a genuine effort to match the classics of the series and their gorgeous art style, as GymWolf GymWolf 0s post really summarizes.

Last edited:

Hudo

Conversely I really like pirates as a setting, IN PRINCIPLE, but I wasn't really into that cartoony magic-purple-thing they came up with.

Anyway, you can tell from the get go that this is supposed to be a low budget thing and not a genuine effort to match the classics of the series and their gorgeous art style, as GymWolf GymWolf 0s post really summarizes.
So Pyro Studios (OG Commandos 1 and 2 devs that are still around) aren't involved in any way in this?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
So Pyro Studios (OG Commandos 1 and 2 devs that are still around) aren't involved in any way in this?
Didn't they close doors many years ago?

Afaik their last game was an attempt to turn the Commandos games into Call of Duty.

Mokus

If I recall correctly (this is like a 20 years old news), the most important members of the original team who participated in the development of the first 3 Commandos (including the expansion), left shortly after Commandos 2 because of internal dispute. While Pyro Studios released new games after that, the quality wasn't nowhere near to the level of early Commandos games.

Hudo

Didn't they close doors many years ago?

Afaik their last game was an attempt to turn the Commandos games into Call of Duty.

If I recall correctly (this is like a 20 years old news), the most important members of the original team who participated in the development of the first 3 Commandos (including the expansion), left shortly after Commandos 2 because of internal dispute. While Pyro Studios released new games after that, the quality wasn't nowhere near to the level of early Commandos games.
Ah Ok. So the Pyro Studios right now are, very much like Blizzard or Bungie, only Pyro in name.

That's a bit sad.

And yeah, that Commandos FPS game was fucking garbage, lmao.

Top Bottom