• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Come watch neverending AI-generated Seinfeld episodes on Twitch

SJRB

Gold Member

“Nothing, Forever” immediately hits you with well-known aesthetics. Scene transitions show the exterior of a line of New York City brownstones over the sound of a quirky jazz bassline. It frequently cuts to “Larry” (the Jerry equivalent) performing what AI passes as standup comedy. Scenes inside Larry’s apartment show him chatting with George, Elaine and Kramer's counterparts about appropriately mundane topics. Their conversations, while mostly unintelligible and lacking structure or narrative, make their inspiration clear.

“Aside from the artwork and the laugh track you’ll hear,” one of the show’s creators posted to Reddit, “everything else is generative, including: dialogue, speech, direction (camera cuts, character focus, shot length, scene length, etc), character movement, and music.” The stream has little human involvement and changes based on viewer feedback from the Twitch stream.

16k people watching now, btw

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
panel-627510124-image-0236de6e-04cf-41d1-aa98-38dba9c5859c

Some highlights compiled at the following places:

mortal

Gold Member
I can't stop watching this. It reminds me of Tomodachi Life.
Ha I can see it. This does gives off the vibe of an old obscure Japanese game about American sitcoms, one that ironically never saw a western release. Just ever so slightly off, which makes it a bit unsettling.

The studio laughter track is just perfection.
The music tracks too.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This would hit a lot harder if they also ran the voices through a voice AI to make them sound like the actual characters

I'm guessing they didn't for copyright reasons

Thank fucking god the AI still has little to no understanding of shot choices, camera angles, motivated cuts, flow, timing, etc. in conjunction with acting and dialogue. Looks like I'll be able to keep my job as a storyboard artists for a good number of years. Maybe in another 5 years it'll really come together.

However, the visuals are really the thing that makes it much weirder, and that part isn't created by AI. If it was acted out by real people or better models with better acting it might not seem as totally surreal. Mundane and nonsensical maybe, but not as weird. This kind of non sequitur exchange already reminds me of gen z meme culture that I don't get anymore, and I can easily see them embrace this fully as they move into positions to create their own entertainment, in a way that my generation will not (plus by that point the AI will surely understand how to make more sense/better scripts).

Last edited:

Jsisto

This is really awkward. However, if it is able to learn over time and actually make funny, believable Seinfeld scenarios, I’ll never leave the house again.

Romulus

Thank fucking god the AI still has little to no understanding of shot choices, camera angles, motivated cuts, flow, timing, etc. in conjunction with acting and dialogue. Looks like I'll be able to keep my job as a storyboard artists for a good number of years. Maybe in another 5 years it'll really come together.

However, the visuals are really the thing that makes it much weirder, and that part isn't created by AI. If it was acted out by real people or better models with better acting it might not seem as totally surreal. Mundane and nonsensical maybe, but not as weird. This kind of non sequitur exchange already reminds me of gen z meme culture that I don't get anymore, and I can easily see them embrace this fully as they move into positions to create their own entertainment, in a way that my generation will not (plus by that point the AI will surely understand how to make more sense/better scripts).

The rate at which it is advancing is pretty insane though.

Jsisto

The Jerry stand up bits are actually really funny because it doesnt fully understand punch lines.
One of them was like…,”So I went to a restaurant last week and ordered a steak. The waitress said “sorry, we don’t serve food here”.”What, you don’t serve steak at a steak house? I don’t understand. Well, I guess that’s why it was called the un-steak house.” *laugh track*

TylerD

My brother told me about it yesterday and I watched maybe 30 mins of it and I can't stop thinking about it. The absurdity and surrealist nature of it with Twitch chat going wild is pretty compelling. I think it's also dystopian in a way. I feel like AI generated entertainment will eventually be huge and I imagine you'll be able to order up a show exactly like what you want and it will probably be able to change on the fly based on your or an audiences' reaction for maximum engagement and zombification.

I think the more of that stuff that exists the more insular the enjoyment of it will be because it will be harder to relate and share it with others when you are getting your personally generated experience and that will pull us further apart in another way.

"Classic Larry!"

The rate at which it is advancing is pretty insane though.
That is true. It doesn't seem to have any problems when interacting with humans, which it relies on to drive meaningful conversation, that is already impressive. The problem right now is to get it to generate meaningful conversations with itself, for a prolonged duration.

Consider this short film, which was made 6 years ago, used a script that was AI generated. As you can see it has advanced pretty far from here to almost making sense now, at least grammatically and contextually during conversations. But making sense is one thing, and writing funny or good stories that pay off with all the intricacies that people take for granted is another. That's why I'd give it another 1-2 years before it will generate naturalistic but mundane conversation with itself, and then maybe 2-3 more years after that to fully grasp what storytelling is and what makes human conversation entertaining. Even if it advances at twice the rate of what I predict, the entrenched hierarchy of established positions, production pipelines etc. in the entertainment industry means it'll either take a number of years even after the AI has mastered producing entertaining conversation to get through the red tape, or a whole new industry will arise from AI opportunists disrupting the existing studio system the way New Hollywood filmmakers disrupted the existing studios back in the 1970s.

The difficult hurdle for AI right now is subtext--what is implied and not written, the implicit withing the explicit--which is a huge part of complex storytelling, humor, and daily conversation. That is not something you can grasp immediately even if you have complete literal encyclopedic knowledge of all text and image, because you have to analyze the text on a deeper level. If AI can overcome this, it will be a huge step closer to sentience.

Last edited:

Tams

That is true. It doesn't seem to have any problems when interacting with humans, which it relies on to drive meaningful conversation, that is already impressive. The problem right now is to get it to generate meaningful conversations with itself, for a prolonged duration.

Consider this short film, which was made 6 years ago, used a script that was AI generated. As you can see it has advanced pretty far from here to almost making sense now, at least grammatically and contextually during conversations. But making sense is one thing, and writing funny or good stories that pay off with all the intricacies that people take for granted is another. That's why I'd give it another 1-2 years before it will generate naturalistic but mundane conversation with itself, and then maybe 2-3 more years after that to fully grasp what storytelling is and what makes human conversation entertaining. Even if it advances at twice the rate of what I predict, the entrenched hierarchy of established positions, production pipelines etc. in the entertainment industry means it'll either take a number of years even after the AI has mastered producing entertaining conversation to get through the red tape, or a whole new industry will arise from AI opportunists disrupting the existing studio system the way New Hollywood filmmakers disrupted the existing studios back in the 1970s.

The difficult hurdle for AI right now is subtext--what is implied and not written, the implicit withing the explicit--which is a huge part of complex storytelling, humor, and daily conversation. That is not something you can grasp immediately even if you have complete literal encyclopedic knowledge of all text and image, because you have to analyze the text on a deeper level. If AI can overcome this, it will be a huge step closer to sentience.

The sequel is much more watchable.

Top Bottom