• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Moriarty - Introducing Last Stand Media (includes new XBOX podcast hosted by MrMattyPlays And Karak)

TexMex

Half of what they used to have, if that. Half the total monthly earnings they used to have when they were getting a studio.

They have been on a steady downward trend for a long while and it’s because they listen to a very loud, hateful minority.

I'm familiar with the scenario and certainly no fan of EA. But I was responding to a post saying "how many patrons can possibly be left?" in reference to the poaching tweet. And while (based on what was posted earlier) - they've lost around 2k patrons since 2019 - they still have 6000 patrons which is more than most. It isn't some sort of unmitigated financial disaster or anything over there, they seem to have a lot of listeners still - whether we like it or not.

TexMex

Right, and my question is, of the ones that are left (they've lost about 50% of their Patreon subs already in the past few years), how many of them are poachable and how many are the crazy Resetera-types that hate Colin and would never sub to LSM?

Not quite - looks like they peaked around 8k patrons and they're currently at around 6k. As for the second part, impossible to know that ratio. I also think that for every person who leaves EA over this specific scenario, some Reset dolt is going to sign up.

graywolf323

Not quite - looks like they peaked around 8k patrons and they're currently at around 6k. As for the second part, impossible to know that ratio. I also think that for every person who leaves EA over this specific scenario, some Reset dolt is going to sign up.
yeah but the new users aren’t giving them as much money per a user as the ones they’re losing

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Why is this thread blowing up?
"resetera basement dwelling rejects" (Colin's words) went after Dustin for appearing on an Easy Allies podcast. Easy allies initially caved into them and apologized for having Dustin on. Check out the latest Sacred symbols podcast and go to about 52 minutes in for a full breakdown and Colin's response.

On the resetera basement dwelling rejects front they appear to have deleted the thread about sacred symbols after the blowup. After Gene went in there and also spoke up for Dustin and Colin. I'm surprised they didn't lock the thread a long time ago.

Portugeezer

Doubtful. They just like to make a big fuss about things, in the same way they don't actually buy "feminist/progressive" games.

TexMex

Doubtful. They just like to make a big fuss about things, in the same way they don't actually buy "feminist/progressive" games.

While impossible to know exactly where they came from, someone posted their Patreon activity graph in this thread a couple pages back. Just before this they had 4200 patrons, and they're now just under 6000. They've had a huge uptick after this.

AmuroChan

It's close enough. 46.7% decrease.

sSZL2Py.png

"resetera basement dwelling rejects" (Colin's words) went after Dustin for appearing on an Easy Allies podcast. Easy allies initially caved into them and apologized for having Dustin on. Check out the latest Sacred symbols podcast and go to about 52 minutes in for a full breakdown and Colin's response.

On the resetera basement dwelling rejects front they appear to have deleted the thread about sacred symbols after the blowup. After Gene went in there and also spoke up for Dustin and Colin. I'm surprised they didn't lock the thread a long time ago.
Wait so they had this Dustin guy on their podcast. Then later apologized for having him on the podcast?

I don't understand so they don't like the guy?

What? Why?

Fbh

Wait so they had this Dustin guy on their podcast. Then later apologized for having him on the podcast?

I don't understand so they don't like the guy?

-Dustin from LSM is friends with Brad from EZA, he is also a long time EZA fan ( and Brad has actually been a guest on LSM content)
-Brad invited Dustin to be a guest on Frametrap (he appeared remotely via video chat)
-Most of the audience from both channels seems to have liked the episode and the comments on the youtube video were overwhelmingly positive
-The more toxic, close minded ERA type part of the EZA community got upset because they hate LSM and anyone related to Colin Moriarty (founder and owner of LSM)
- They hate Colin because one time he made a dad joke tier comment about women and his views on SOME topics are a bit more on the conservative side than most people in games media, so naturally he is a bigot, racist, sexist and all the isms and phobics
- He has also openly said he agrees with some of the stuff JK Rowling has said so naturally he is also a transphobe
- EZA released a statement apologizing for having Dustin on the show and saying they'd do a "better job" vetoing guest in the future
- Dustin spoke to EZA and offered to fly himself over to LA at his own expense to appear in person on the next Frametrap and clear things up
- He was told by EZA that he is no longer welcome on any of their content and that Brad wouldn't be allowed to guest on any future LSM content either.

Last edited:

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
It’s such a fuck you to Brad and his friend. I don’t like to speak for people because I don’t know their relationship off screen but this would absolutely be a deal breaker for me. It's everyone’s company, it’s Brad’s show, it’s Brad’s friend and Dustin did nothing wrong. If Dustin said a racial remark or turned the podcast into a political one I would fully understand but he didn’t. His only crime is his boss which is absolutely insane to me. This entire situation is absolutely dumb and screams terminally online losers.

You know the Allies have their hands tied, their biggest supporters are the ones that have killed all potential growth for them but at the same time, they are the ones keeping them afloat. They can't afford to upset those people.

But it's unfortunate these are the types of people they are catering to, not just how they treated Dustin, but they even tried to tell Gene Park (who has since received a one-month ban from ERA for defending himself), an Asian man, why his own employer is racist and problematic like he's a baby who can't think for himself. Do you think Gene Park appreciates a white man telling him how he should feel? Do these people not see the problem with that?

Just catching up with all this the last few days. The dichotomy between this place and how Re is reacting is hilarious.

Just listened to Colin's monologue and it's hard to disagree with anything he said. I lean very left and would be a woke cuck soylib to many people around here. And I would still be banned over there, it's crazy how carefully cultivated all opinions are at that place. Kind of creepy actually.

Just catching up with all this the last few days. The dichotomy between this place and how Re is reacting is hilarious.

Just listened to Colin's monologue and it's hard to disagree with anything he said. I lean very left and would be a woke cuck soylib to many people around here. And I would still be banned over there, it's crazy how carefully cultivated all opinions are at that place. Kind of creepy actually.

It’s exactly the same for me. I lean left on a lot of things, and even I feel that the mod team at Resetera are a bunch of lunatics.

Last edited:

Bankai

Damn, what a f*cked up situation for Dustin and what a great response from Colin. So disappointed in EZA.. I guess this truly marks the beginning of the end for them. Such a cowardly, weak way to react to a couple of wining bitches.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member

The vast majority of GAF are left-leaning. The difference is, here we talk about games and have conversations and look at things from a nuanced perspective (at least as long as it isn't regarding consoles). Can't say the same for extremists who actively celebrate terrorists and antisemitism while trying to ruin people's lives if they use the wrong pronoun.

But anyways, let's move away from the Political discussions and more on the Colin Vs EZA situation. EZA is an awful community for a long while now. When they actively defend/idolize members that wish for a Tomb Raider game where you can murder a pregnant Laura Croft in many different ways, all because that user is trans? You know you have a rotten community.

Meanwhile in Colin's community, I often found myself able to have conversations about games that I otherwise wouldn't anywhere else other than GAF. It is nice to have that freedom, even if I disagree with Colin on almost everything!

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Colin has the most integrity out of all these self made game critics. Dude stood his ground when his “best friend” turned his back on him. Started his own company without succumbing to the internet mobs and is now more successful than all these other outlets. Out of his home, lmfao. No need for flashy studios. Some of his takes I don’t agree with. But you can’t agree on everything.
The only thing that prevents me from staying engaged with Colin is that every time I randomly watch an episode he has to bring up that he's blacklisted by Sony. It's like, I don't give a F dude. Just really irritates me for whatever reason. And like, what is even available if you're "in", Sony doesn't even announce things to their general audience let alone influencers. 🤣

fart town usa

Gold Member

Most people lean "Left" because US culture overwhelmingly moved to the Left the last few decades. The issue is that the current Left embraces and openly supports the fringe lunacy and also is in bed with neo-cons from the Reagan and Bush 43 administrations. That caused a lot of people to leave the Left and vote Right, which automatically makes them bigots, phobes, etc.

It's all turned on it's head but people are so far gone you can't have any kind of rational conversation.

Source: Myself who used to canvass for Democrats but left and would now be considered a far-right lunatic even though none of my political beliefs have changed.

AmuroChan

The only thing that prevents me from staying engaged with Colin is that every time I randomly watch an episode he has to bring up that he's blacklisted by Sony. It's like, I don't give a F dude. Just really irritates me for whatever reason. And like, what is even available if you're "in", Sony doesn't even announce things to their general audience let alone influencers. 🤣

It's not about the announcements. He reiterates that he's blacklisted because he's constantly being asked on Discord and Patreon from new members why LSM does not review games early. So he has to keep disclosing that LSM is blacklisted and therefore do not receive early review copies of games from publishers. That's why their review episodes are always released a couple of weeks or longer after the game's been out.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
It's not about the announcements. He reiterates that he's blacklisted because he's constantly being asked on Discord and Patreon from new members why LSM does not review games early. So he has to keep disclosing that LSM is blacklisted and therefore do not receive early review copies of games from publishers. That's why their review episodes are always released a couple of weeks or longer after the game's been out.
Makes sense. I guess I was just interpreting it wrong.

Lunarorbit

It’s exactly the same for me. I lean left on a lot of things, and even I feel that the mod team at Resetera are a bunch of lunatics.
This is me too. Got banned years ago. Went into the lsm thread there the other day and was heartened to see zeovgm got a 3 month ban. That person says horrible and definitely targeted me until I got axed

graywolf323

This is me too. Got banned years ago. Went into the lsm thread there the other day and was heartened to see zeovgm got a 3 month ban. That person says horrible and definitely targeted me until I got axed
what finally did that troll in? if Era had remotely sensible management they would have permabanned that jackass long long ago

Sensates

Help me understand this (what I got from Grapheon), after all the EZA mismanagement they actually got a huge increase in Patreons? Or is there some shady stuff goin on?

eza.png

ByWatterson

Same. Dunno if I'm left, but I'm what Franklin would call an extreme moderate. But certainly the last decade or so I'd be consider on the left (at least nationally).

And yeah, you can't say ANYTHING.

One time I was banned because, in response to Jim Ryan saying Playstation was the first gaming in the Middle East, I suggested while it might not technically be true, his overall point of widespread gaming coming there via PS was broadly correct.

Banned. For saying, "Yeah it's not that big a deal."

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
What happened?

He's suggesting that publishers pushed into Live Service multiplayer as a result of Covid 19. That a meaningful percentage of gamers only played multiplayer at that time only because of lockdowns.

It's totally fabricated narrative.

1. Publishers pushed into Live Service multiplayer back in 2018 when Fortnite became a cultural phenomenon. Covid19 lockdowns were March 2020.

2. He says publishers made this decision because they thought the 2020 gaming spike was going to last forever. As if people running the most successful game companies on earth didn't understand how lockdowns affected player behavior.

3. He says "tons of people cancelled their PS+ after Covid". That's false. Subs remained consistent over the last 2 years.

4. He downplays how popular Live Service games are today and ignores growth metrics completely.

Colin is a great example of someone wanting something to be true, so he tricks himself into believing it.

He's suggesting that publishers pushed into Live Service multiplayer as a result of Covid 19. That a meaningful percentage of gamers only played multiplayer at that time only because of lockdowns.

It's totally fabricated narrative.

1. Publishers pushed into Live Service multiplayer back in 2018 when Fortnite became a cultural phenomenon. Covid19 lockdowns were March 2020.

2. He says publishers made this decision because they thought the 2020 gaming spike was going to last forever. As if people running the most successful game companies on earth didn't understand how lockdowns affected player behavior.

3. He says "tons of people cancelled their PS+ after Covid". That's false. Subs remained consistent over the last 2 years.

4. He downplays how popular Live Service games are today and ignores growth metrics completely.

Colin is a great example of someone wanting something to be true, so he tricks himself into believing it.

I think the truth is kinda in the middle. GaaS started becoming popular cause of Fortnite and it was seen as easy money. But that turn around time to get GaaS going co-aligned with covid. And a larger than normal amount of people did cancel subscriptions after the lockdowns. I think you're both right and wrong. It's more about the varying degrees. A lot of things happen around the same time period without necessarily causing each other. I think the only definitive part is the sub cancelling after the lockdowns.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I think the truth is kinda in the middle. GaaS started becoming popular cause of Fortnite and it was seen as easy money. But that turn around time to get GaaS going co-aligned with covid.
It didn't though. PlayStation Studios started hiring for Live Service positions in 2018. PlayStation started buying Live Service Studios in 2018 - 2020. The decision to push into Live Service came a full 2 years before C19.

And a larger than normal amount of people did cancel subscriptions after the lockdowns.
The data says otherwise...
playstation-plus-subscribers-global.jpg

I think you're both right and wrong. It's more about the varying degrees. A lot of things happen around the same time period without necessarily causing each other. I think the only definitive part is the sub cancelling after the lockdowns.

Colin is only "varying degrees of right" if you're reeeeaaally trying to interpret his comments in the best possible light. His overall sentiment around this topic is absurdly inaccurate.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Colin is only "varying degrees of right" if you're reeeeaaally trying to interpret his comments in the best possible light. His overall sentiment around this topic is absurdly inaccurate.
I don't listen to the show anymore but Colin never impressed me with his astute analysis lol. Same with Dustin and Chris never sounds interested in anything but Halo. I don't even know why he is still on.

Honestly I'll give him credit for building this thing but I am perplexed by that show's continued popularity.

Last edited:

MacReady13

I don't listen to the show anymore but Colin never impressed me with his astute analysis lol. Same with Dustin and Chris never sounds interested in anything but Halo. I don't even know why he is still on.

Honestly I'll give him credit for building this thing but I am perplexed by that show's continued popularity.
So Colin never impressed you and you don't like the 2 co-hosts, and yet you wonder why people don't like it? Maybe people have different tastes to you? I think Colin is fantastic. I'm ok with Chris and I like Dustin. But the 3 of them together is fantastic. I like the shows they do and can CLEARLY see why it has succeeded like it has.

Hero_Select

Same. Dunno if I'm left, but I'm what Franklin would call an extreme moderate. But certainly the last decade or so I'd be consider on the left (at least nationally).

One time I was banned because, in response to Jim Ryan saying Playstation was the first gaming in the Middle East, I suggested while it might not technically be true, his overall point of widespread gaming coming there via PS was broadly correct.

I was banned for making an thread on Asmongolds mom passing away because I started to defend him (might I say I was extremely respectful as well).

If your thoughts don't align with their 100%, you have no place. Era is just an ech-chamber, And I also lean left.

I got banned for basically saying 'Prince Phillip did say some awkward shit while alive but we should also respect the good things he did' in the official thread noting his death.

Apparently I should have just called him an unashamed racist with no redeeming qualities and I'd be fine.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

There's a Q Rating in Hollywood that assigns a familiarity score to brands and actors. I think he gets a huge bump from being a public face in media for so long. Plus he talks fast, has an above average vocabulary, and speaks with an authoritative tone that I think people gravitate to. And like you say, he has built something with LSM.

I like him well enough (I like most people though) but I rarely hear worthwhile analysis from him.

Top Bottom