• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Citizen Sleeper Dev: "Game Pass is keeping a lot of Indie studios going"

bender

What time is it?
Thanks for sharing, interesting. I watched it but not sure what your point is.

If I understand correctly he talks about 2 cons regarding having too many choices:

1) Choice paralysis
2) Less satisfaction from the choices we make

You are saying that it would all be better if we only had, for example, Nintendo games and consoles? Where do you think the line should be drawn for a healty amount of choices?

In the particular case of Gamepass, how do you think it applies? Would we enjoy gaming more if we only had a very limited amount of games to play? That was my situation as a kid, I only had like 2 NES games and like 3 SNES games. Now that I'm an adult and have access to many games I get to try many different things. Some of them are crap but also some of them are really good. How do we guarantee that the limited choice is composed of only good games and not bad games?

A bit of tangent, but I do think our hobby would be far more enjoyable if we played fewer games. Maybe that's just me though. That's not to advocate for less game creation and getting to the point of playing fewer games but also the games that are perfect for our tastes is a tricky riddle to solve.

Pallas

Another classic Dev says game pass helped them but Gaffers say otherwise thread.

There’s pros and cons with gamepass and while I feel like day 1 first party launch titles wasn’t the best idea, I cannot ignore that this service is beneficial to indie developers by giving some of the smaller studios exposure and honestly with or without gamepass, you’ll still get a ton of shovelware, just look at Nintendos digital store. 🤷🏻

A.Romero

A bit of tangent, but I do think our hobby would be far more enjoyable if we played fewer games. Maybe that's just me though. That's not to advocate for less game creation and getting to the point of playing fewer games but also the games that are perfect for our tastes is a tricky riddle to solve.
I get what you are saying and the beatiful part of having options is that people can decide if they want to play less (many people do this with Fortnite, FIFA, COD, etc) or playing everything they can get their hands of or any point in the middle.

havoc00

GKzR9_uW4AA24Bk

Cue the theme song!

bender

What time is it?
I get what you are saying and the beatiful part of having options is that people can decide if they want to play less (many people do this with Fortnite, FIFA, COD, etc) or playing everything they can get their hands of or any point in the middle.

A lot of has to do with your experience in the hobby and what stage of life you are in. It's just something I've been thinking about lately in conjunction with a theory that the overall quality of games made today is at an all time high mostly due to standardization of controls, cameras, genre tropes, etc. but that along with ease of making/publishing a game means far fewer games are worthy of one's time. I guess that's my way of saying that the hobby has become safe and stale but because of the dearth of options, we are never left wanting. I do question how healthy the industry is when we see another Vampire Survivors clone every other day or *insert soup du jour here*.

...and yes, I know, VS wasn't what kicked off the genre, merely what brought it popularity.

Would we enjoy gaming more if we only had a very limited amount of games to play?
Almost certainly.

You can create this situation yourself. I have done it and it has greatly improved my enjoyment of games. I literally hide my games away (in a box, or on a shelf in a closet), and only keep a few games accessible. It encourages you to give games a real chance before just moving on or feeling that urge to try something else.

How do we guarantee that the limited choice is composed of only good games and not bad games?
Good and bad is relative. Limited choice means you will be happier with any game you play, and you will spend less time choosing a game and more time playing.

Guilty_AI

Good and bad is relative. Limited choice means you will be happier with any game you play, and you will spend less time choosing a game and more time playing.
There was a time where my choices with games were pretty limited (or at least it seemed that way then) and what i did was... drop gaming altogether for other pastimes. Eventually i came back around... after finding a different strand of games to pursue.

You can create this situation yourself. I have done it and it has greatly improved my enjoyment of games. I literally hide my games away (in a box, or on a shelf in a closet), and only keep a few games accessible. It encourages you to give games a real chance before just moving on or feeling that urge to try something else.
You're still choosing what games to buy and what games to keep around amidst a vast selection.

samoilaaa

if your game is great you dont need gamepass

there are plenty of companies that have raised without the need of a subscrition based service , cdpr and larian come to mind , larian especially because they almost went bankrupt , they put everything they had in divinity original sin and that game was so good that it made them enough money to be what they are today

A.Romero

Almost certainly.

You hit the nail in the head by stating that I could reproduce it myself if I wanted. If we had less choice it wouldn't be optional.
A lot of has to do with your experience in the hobby and what stage of life you are in. It's just something I've been thinking about lately in conjunction with a theory that the overall quality of games made today is at an all time high mostly due to standardization of controls, cameras, genre tropes, etc. but that along with ease of making/publishing a game means far fewer games are worthy of one's time. I guess that's my way of saying that the hobby has become safe and stale but because of the dearth of options, we are never left wanting. I do question how healthy the industry is when we see another Vampire Survivors clone every other day or *insert soup du jour here*.

...and yes, I know, VS wasn't what kicked off the genre, merely what brought it popularity.
I think there are innovative things, just not on the AAA space and this thread is proof that things like gamepass help those games get to gamers.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'd wager the majority of people subscribed to gp are there for the bigger games anyway. They want Forza/ halos/ big third party games. Few give a shit about cooking with dad or whatever.

Top Bottom