• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Circumcision.. What do Evolutionary Biologists/Naturalists/Darwinists think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm expecting a healthy baby boy soon, and there's one question we're not yet sure about...
To Circumcise, or not to Circumcise?

Now, I know the internet is a raging battleground for a war on circumcision.

I'm unsure what to think, and I can see reasons to justify either choice... I myself am circumcised, but I don't think that alone a good reason to follow through with the procedure for my son. My partner leans toward being pro-circumcision, as an older family member of hers had once said about the topic, that he wished he was, but she seems open to consideration if the evidence is there.

Anyway, I'm not looking to start another battle here. I don't care about your Mom's opinion, or Joe Schmoe's thoughts, or any given circumcised or uncircumcised dude. I've seen the general arguments from both sides.
I'm leaning against it slightly, if just because it seems like an odd thing to do to an organ that has evolved functionally to its current state after some billions of years of sexual refinement, but we also live in a drastically different age where survival/reproduction is taken for granted.. maybe there are some unnecessary relics in our history that are still with us? I'm inclined to think not.. but still..

To those of you who are familiar with natural history, biology, or are educated Darwinists and students of evolution, what are your thoughts and why? If you're knowledgeable in the opinions of teachers or other scientists, I'd also be curious to hear their thoughts or words.

Again, I think, by default, I would have to say, just leave the poor penis alone, but I want to hear the words of respected scientists and those educated about biology, evolution, and I suppose the opinions of those in medical fields could be valuable too. That's what I hope to see here. If you want to share your opinion and you wouldn't put yourself into that category, make sure you add some evidence either way.

Thanks!

Sinfamy

You can always do it later in life, reversing it is harder.
Let your child decide when he grows up.

im fine with the cut. doesnt stop me from doing anything, and without going through the thread im hoping no one compares circumscision to FGM. FGM is horrendous

I dunno why you're so obsessed with the idea of biologists trying to tell you any different. It's about as unnatural as an ear piercing, but with y'know, more consequences, anecdotally at least. Why are you even considering unless you're particularly religious?

This scientist in training is telling you not to bother.

Burt

You can always just let him think he was and let his wife surprise him with the shocking truth down the line.

TheGrahamNortonShow_S20_US20_UK19_Sneak_Peek_1_YouTubePreset_1920x1080_884276803826.jpg

Undrey

To all those saying let the kid choose themselves, I've read about people wanting to have been circumcised because they did not want to actually go through it as adults.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I got circumsized a few years ago. God did a horrible job. Jews get it. It feels soooooo much better cut.

FinKL

There's an Adam Ruins Everything episode about it.

For our US ancestors, it got so popular because some priest (I don't remember was it Kellogg) said that masturbation is sin and getting this procedure would cut back on it.

After that, it was more of "I got it, I think my son should get it too!"

Flo_Evans

To all those saying let the kid choose themselves, I've read about people wanting to have been circumcised because they did not want to actually go through it as adults.

This is the worst logic. Man I sure don't want to cut off any part of my penis! Let's do it to babies instead!

God commands it after all.

BadHand

If you can't actually be bothered to personally schedule the procedure as an adult, then the mysterious American quest for a beautiful and socially acceptable penis probably isn't that important to you after all.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
If you are versed in evolutionary biology, then finding out why males have a foreskin shouldn't be very difficult for you. What you actually need, is to read up on the history of circumcision in the United States. It was prescribed as a deterrent for masturbation. Because masturbation cause epilepsy and insanity apparently.

And I've read of stories where the men were angry at their parents for not letting them decide for themselves.

Makki

When erect it looks no different, when flaccid you don't get chaffed the fuck out, when you actually use it you feel more... Although if you fear your kid might become the kind of man who cant even be trusted to clean his own dick when he showers then go ahead and cut it now and prepare to teach him how to make up senseless excuses as to why getting his penis cut was all worth it by reading up on articles from other men who blindly had theirs cut as well because women love flaccid penises when they are trimmed (not really... its a limp dong).

And I've read of stories where the men were angry at their parents for not letting them decide for themselves.

Sounds like we need to get these two groups together. Is there a nonprofit classification for foreskin donor?

Protome

Never understood circumcision as a cultural norm. One of those American things that thankfully hasn't been adopted by the UK.

The Hermit

No reason to do it. If kid wants it later, he can choose to. Don't do unnecessary surgery just because.

Lol
"Hey kid, wanna chop the tip of your penis?"

I had to do it at 18 because of phymosis but otherwise I wouldn't do it, if I had a satisfying sexual life.

darscot

I know two guys that had to get it done as an adult. It was fucking horrific for both. I took my son and he made a a small hey wtf kinda yell and that's it. Was over in about 5 seconds. The two guys I knew spent a week in hospital. Fuck that shit get it done.

manakel

OP - I don't think you're going to get a definitive answer. You're going to have the guys that are uncircumcised tell you how horrible you are for even considering it, and you're going to have circumcised guys tell you to do it. It's really a decision you and your partner have to make, and go from there. I think people make it out to be much of a bigger deal than it actually is.

For me, if I ever have a son, I will 100% get him circumcised. The benefits outweigh the cons, in my opinion.

Dude Abides

Banned
There's no good reason to have your son circumcised. It's a religious norm that became a cultural norm. There are marginal health benefits but if your son wants them he can get it when he's old enough to understand the choice.

BadHand

Never understood why Americans do it. What's the point?

Because they want their baby boys to have beautiful penises and to attract potential mates. A decision which can't possibly wait until they're older and when they can make their own decisions regarding it.

Ultimately, Im against circumcisions. Cons seem to outweigh the pros.

Can't say I hate not knowing what smegma looks like though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom