• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christian newspaper turns to manga and cosplay to save our souls

Forkball

SAVE US
CD02-FdUMAANMtP.jpg

The article is pretty long, so I cut it down. Read the full story at the link.

Smartphone games, manga and cosplay events might seem incompatible with the solemn practice of religion, but a Christian newspaper in Japan is deploying such secular entertainment in an attempt to draw new followers to the faith.

Christ Newspaper (Kirisuto Shimbun) is aiming to attract young followers through modern media in an industry with a fading readership.

The long-standing religious paper, under its new president, Shinji Matsutani, 40, launched in July a thrice-monthly tabloid version with more photos and illustrations than its previous conventional weeklies, as well as an online edition.

The 71-year-old paper, which was founded by the late Christian social reformer Toyohiko Kagawa and covers all sects of Christianity, carries a serial comic strip whose main character is a schoolgirl named Pyuri-tan, Japanese wordplay for the term Puritans after the Protestant sect.

The manga features cute personifications of different Christian groups, including Catholics and Anglicans, allowing readers to learn about them while having fun. It has even been adapted into a smartphone game app.

Aside from the newspaper that serves about 10,000 readers in Japan’s Christian community, the publisher also sells card games featuring characters from the Bible, sponsors comic fairs, a novel competition themed on Christianity, as well as a photo session for cosplayers at a church.

“Although Christian churches in Japan say they are eager to actively engage in missionary work and attract youth, they often remain closed to outsiders and scare away newcomers as members too fervently ask them to become followers,” Matsutani said.

“With the aging of members, churches will die out if they do business as usual. We’d like to counter that trend,” said the president, a Christian who was raised in a devout family.

“We’d like to increase ‘entrances’ to Christianity as we believe there is real demand from those generally interested in the religion. Hopefully, they will consider going to church as an option,” said Matsutani, who became the company’s president in May and concurrently serves as the newspaper’s editor-in-chief.

Since 2011, the publisher has been sponsoring the Pray Festival, an annual event resembling a comic market held across Japan, where Christian-themed manga, books and goods are put on sale.

The upcoming festival on Monday in Okayama Prefecture will host a group discussion with a married couple, one of whom is a Buddhist priest who is also a rakugo comic storyteller and her acrobat Christian husband.

Looking ahead, the company plans to launch a board game themed on the Reformation on Oct. 31, the 500th anniversary of the movement initiated by German cleric and scholar Martin Luther in 1517 to condemn the corruption of the Roman Catholic Church.

The newspaper’s Bible Hunter card game featuring Jesus, Paul the Apostle and other characters that was launched in 2014 has been used as teaching material at Tohoku Gakuin University and translated into Chinese for sale in Taiwan, added the president, who formerly worked as an elementary school teacher.

The publisher is also planning to launch by year’s end a free smartphone map app called Jun + Rei (Pilgrimage) that will help users locate nearby churches to facilitate access to the religious institutions.

Official Website

I managed to find their card game. Thanks Board Game Geek!
Bible Hunter is a card game with themes from the Old and New testament, with artwork in manga style. The game has three types of cards, characters (red cards), that can be persons like the patriarchs or prophets, Jesus or the apostles, and items, like swords or money (green), and mission cards (blue).

Players starts with four cards, two characters and two missions. The players take turns, selects one of the three cards on the board, and then tries to collect this by playing one character card. The strongest character gets the card. It is good to have strong characters, but some of the gives minus points if in hand then a round is completed, eg. Satan (-20 victory points)

The cards collected can be put together to complete a story. The round ends then a player can complete a whole biblical story, and then all players count there victory points. The game is played in three rounds, and the player with most victory points after the third round is the winner.

And here's Pyuri-tan

001234.jpg

I actually had these books before I gave them to a friend. They were pretty interesting! Sure they had some errors (some big ones too), but they were entertaining.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Pyuri-tan... that's pretty clever.

I bet like 5 people read this magazine. Christians are unicorns in Japan.

Ratrat

Pyuri-tan... that's pretty clever.

I bet like 5 people read this magazine. Christians are unicorns in Japan.
Maybe in numbers, but they are easy to spot with their obnoxious door to door stuff. And the mormons. They will pounce on you if you so much as glance at them.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Jesus looks like one of those peaceful guys who you know when shit goes down, he's gonna rip off his shirt, twirl that staff around, and wreck all kinds of ass.

Will his crucifixion make the list of top 10 anime betrayals?

BocoDragon

Christians are pretty easy to spot and churches of various denominations are fairly commonplace.

They're 2% of the population.

Compare it to the level of Abrahamic religion in nearly every other country on earth.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Can't wait for the doujins.

*Protag pulls out at the last second*

"Thank the Lord we avoided another pregnancy out of wedlock!" Kawaii pyuri-tan uguued.

"Hah, joke's on you" protag said as he smiled coyly pushing his glasses back up with an index finger. "That was just my finishing move... IMMACULATE CONCEPTION!!!"

BocoDragon

And I wonder if that's mostly Korean people. The only Christians I've met here in Japan are Koreans.

I could certainly believe that. 1/3rd of Koreans are Christian, by contrast.

TissueBox

Maria-sama nearly converted the brother of a friend of mine so it's not a bad strategy.
(Half-kidding.)

Also, googling Jesus-sama led me to some weird anime, Saint Young Men.

If you like feel-good slice of lifes I would definitely recommend it. One of my personal favs. ^^' Or at least the movie is, haven't seen the OVAs.

Top Bottom