• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheating on the PC has gotten completely out of control

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I’m the same as everyone else, I don’t get it. It will just push people towards more single player type games. I think. Maybe we will see a renaissance in couch coop and mp? Probably not

GladiusFrog

That's my observation as well, have been encountering cheaters in Sea of Thieves at least a few times a week with my wife. Sometimes is subtle And other times the cheater's literally show off their abilities like god mode.

I miss early 2000's PC gaming, Cheaters existed but it was much less common... Now it seems be popular and on the rise. Hell even big streamers do it.

Unfortunately I don't think there is anything that can be done about them. And many players understand this when playing multiplayer These days. Its just the way it is. 🤷‍♂️

SenkiDala

I’m the same as everyone else, I don’t get it. It will just push people towards more single player type games. I think. Maybe we will see a renaissance in couch coop and mp? Probably not
It's easy to get, it is human nature, people like to win, so if they can't win by their skills, they try to win by cheating. It doesn't happen only in video games.

But yeah it sucks. That's why couch coop is online coop with just friends (good old times with Gears of War) are king.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It's easy to get, it is human nature, people like to win, so if they can't win by their skills, they try to win by cheating. It doesn't happen only in video games.

But yeah it sucks. That's why couch coop is online coop with just friends (good old times with Gears of War) are king.
As long as people have competed against each other someone has tried cheating in literally everything

NEbeast

It's not much better on console from where I hear from multiplayer friends.

It's only going to get worse and worse with AI and hardware advancements. Wasn't there a monitor recently that did opponent detection on a hardware level?

The best multiplayer remains, as always, in closed groups with friends / trusted players.
Consoles aren't jail broken yet, at least not the current firmware you need for online. You obviously have xim/chronus which are fucking rampant. I'm sure those monitors only worked on PC too.

Hibs

I want to play Tarkov so bad, but keep reading about the hacking problem which sours it.

Funnily I hear Valorant has the best anti-cheat on the market. Don't know more games don't use that system?

Shin-Ra

No it's not. Xbox blocked unlicensed accessories last November. But of course the reaction was quite different.

Hmmm. I wonder if it’s because they didn’t just ban unlicensed cheating devices but also banned unlicensed non-cheating regular controllers. 🤔

Spyxos

Gold Member
I want to play Tarkov so bad, but keep reading about the hacking problem which sours it.

Funnily I hear Valorant has the best anti-cheat on the market. Don't know more games don't use that system?
Much of the talk about Riot's new shooter, Valorant, has been about the anti-cheat software packaged with it, called Vanguard. The name is appropriate, because Vanguard doesn't just sniff around for cheats when Valorant is running: It starts up with Windows and keeps an eye on other processes whether or not you're playing Valorant at the time.

It was very badly received by the community.

Don't. Cheaters ruined any sort of desire I had to ever play that game.

Hibs

Much of the talk about Riot's new shooter, Valorant, has been about the anti-cheat software packaged with it, called Vanguard. The name is appropriate, because Vanguard doesn't just sniff around for cheats when Valorant is running: It starts up with Windows and keeps an eye on other processes whether or not you're playing Valorant at the time.

I didn't know that. I'd take that though if meant no cheaters.

Hoddi

Which games do you play?
I don't really have specific ones. I'll usually spend a couple of months playing one game before moving onto another which can be anything from COD and BF to F2P games like Fortnite and Rocket League. I also occasionally go back to older games like TF2 and Day of Defeat.

I obviously don't play competitively which may also be a factor. But cheaters have never been anything more than an occasional annoyance in my experience.

Utamaru1706

Neo Member
lol, my friends were constantly complaining when they played Valorant or The Finals, because they often met with cheaters, especially the ones from Chinese, where these guys weren't even shy in doing it (e.g using wall hacks, aim bot, or even something as blatant like killing everyone on the map from miles away).

I myself had met with cheaters when playing Gundam Battle Operation 2, which of course also comes from China, and they literally ruined that game to the ground, to the point that Bamco needs to alter some features for the PC version, since those cheaters were abusing it to get loads of premium currencies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I am convinced this is why there is such a big push for extraction shooters right now. No direct competition, just your team vs the game and suddenly all cheating does is make it boring for the people cheating. No hassle of trying to stop it, no angry people matched with cheaters, no angry people getting false bans, etc.

Mortisfacio

While PC is my #1 platform, I stopped playing Rust because of cheaters. One of my favorite online games of the last decade, but after spending so much time building up our fortress with my friends for some people to wall hack through and delete our base... I just can't keep doing it.

Phase

Yeah that's pretty much what put the nail the coffin for me playing MP. I was always near the top of the leaderboards in every fps I played and I consider myself pretty good at discerning legit players vs cheaters. It just became worse and worse every year to where I stopped playing them completely a couple of years ago.

It's sad that so many feel they have to cheat. It's also far too easy to do nowadays. I have noticed it isn't as bad when a game leaves the spotlight and has a smaller playerbase. That said, companies really need to try harder to deter cheaters. Severe penalties should always be put in place, though in F2P that's almost null.

Last edited:

Schmendrick

Competitive FPS on PC are pretty much pointless thanks to the rampant cheating. Doesn't really matter which game, you will regularly run into obvious cheaters, and for every one of those there's probably a dozen that at least try to hide it.

TwiztidElf

Street Fighter 6 had cheaters?
Yeah. On PC.
I play on PS5, but I live in a lower population place, so in order to get matches I have to leave cross play on.
I'm not going to link to places to get the cheats, but the auto-counter Drive Impact is the one that really aggravates me. It's really obvious when it happens repeatedly.
:(

panda-zebra

Only game I've played that was badly affected by cheating was Outriders. Yes, I'm one of the few that enjoyed the game. PC tools allowed people to modify not only their own stats/weapons but those of others in the lobby, too - permanently screwing over another player's character and prized weapon rolls if they so wished, or maxing everything out and leaving them with nothing to aim for in playing. That's when I quit after seeing some of the damage done.

In the Helldivers 2 thread someone linked a reddit post where a player saw an unusual/never before seen event while on a mission (won't say what for spoiler reasons). Reading more it wasn't the devs using their God powers to affect the game in interesting ways as some first thought (they can/plan to do this kind of overseer stuff to spice up games on the fly), it was just a cheater in the squad using software that allows an *unreleased* stratagem to be called in - something that isn't even in the game yet normally. Looked into it further and it's of course part of a tool that gives all kinds of infinite health, infinite mission time, infinite stims, no reloads, infinite ammo etc. and the cheat tool devs are already in a game of cat & mouse with the game devs. FFS, I thought the fuss made over the kernel-level anti-cheat before launch at least meant this crap wouldn't happen, but now assume it's just something that has to be accepted in another non-competitive co-op game I enjoy.

Ronin_7

Banned

It's only going to get worse and worse with AI and hardware advancements. Wasn't there a monitor recently that did opponent detection on a hardware level?

The best multiplayer remains, as always, in closed groups with friends / trusted players.
I don't recall playing against cheaters on Console since the 360 days, people were flying on Modern Warfare 2.

This ^^

In some multiplayer games I feel like this little white girl

FWwQDwmXkAEBPPd.png

yeah bf5 is unplayable anymore. Chinese cheaters every evening. I stopped playing some time ago.
My friends keep playing and they end up on "is this guy a cheater" website constantly
Play on the BoB community servers. I haven't seen a cheater in a few weeks.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Consoles aren't jail broken yet, at least not the current firmware you need for online. You obviously have xim/chronus which are fucking rampant. I'm sure those monitors only worked on PC too.
Why wouldn't/wont the monitor work with a console? It doesn't have any access to the hardware, it is just doing image processing of the images the monitor receives and basically unblockable.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Aww man, I read this whole thread being thankful that no one was mentioning Helldivers 2 yet. How were they cheating?

I was hoping their anti-cheat required install would hold it back...
He had absolutly no cooldown for anything. So he was spamming bombs like a maniac.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
The last multiplayer game I played was The Division and it was pretty bad with cheaters. I can’t imagine what games like Battlefield are like.

CGNoire

The fact that people are capable of gaining satisfaction from a Cheated Win is beyond me.

Last edited:

NEbeast

Why wouldn't/wont the monitor work with a console? It doesn't have any access to the hardware, it is just doing image processing of the images the monitor receives and basically unblockable.
I could be mistaken but I'm sure when it was first posted here it was stated it was only working with PCs for now. I'm sure eventually it will work with consoles.

panda-zebra

Aww man, I read this whole thread being thankful that no one was mentioning Helldivers 2 yet. How were they cheating?

I was hoping their anti-cheat required install would hold it back...
In the Helldivers 2 thread someone linked a reddit post where a player saw an unusual/never before seen event while on a mission (won't say what for spoiler reasons). Reading more it wasn't the devs using their God powers to affect the game in interesting ways as some first thought (they can/plan to do this kind of overseer stuff to spice up games on the fly), it was just a cheater in the squad using software that allows an *unreleased* stratagem to be called in - something that isn't even in the game yet normally. Looked into it further and it's of course part of a tool that gives all kinds of infinite health, infinite mission time, infinite stims, no reloads, infinite ammo etc. and the cheat tool devs are already in a game of cat & mouse with the game devs. FFS, I thought the fuss made over the kernel-level anti-cheat before launch at least meant this crap wouldn't happen, but now assume it's just something that has to be accepted in another non-competitive co-op game I enjoy.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Stopped playing PC games and turned off cross play because of it.

A Cronus and anti recoil is easily beaten with skill when it's typically bad players using these controller mods, wall hacks and utter godmode bullshit isn't.

As someone who plays pretty much exclusively Tarkov and CS2 I know the true pain of hackers. But these are still the best multiplayer games on the market even with the odd hacker.

The idea of going to console for PvP is just laughable to me at this point. I used to compete on console back in the day but controller input is just so absolutely pointless when it comes to satisfying pvp.

thief183

It is very invasive, but it is a solution, not sure if I would accept it... Are there cheaters in the game?

Toots

Gold Member
When I was a young teenager, maybe 12 to 14 years old, I downloaded all the hacks and aimbots, because The Matrix was the coolest thing on the planet at the time and doing "hacker shit" like removing the case of my PC to expose the cables and cheating in video games was mad cool.

I bet a large chunk of cheaters are foolish kids like that. When adults are cheating, I suspect its because games is how they define their personality and then being bad at them can hurt your self-worth.
You're right, especially about doing extremely cool hacker shit between 12 and the time one gets their first real girlfriend (strangely).
The added problem is that nowdays you can build a really successfull career upon cheating if not caught, so the incentive are greater than just doing cool stuff and having fun.

Plus society as a whole have a huge problem of style over substance so no one really cares you are cheating as long as you appear successfull. Just look at any prominent western politician.

Top Bottom