• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Celebrate the Atari Jaguar 30th anniversary today (released November 23, 1993)

Agent X

30 years ago today, on November 23, 1993, Atari released their Jaguar video game system.

Were you one of the lucky people to get one on launch day? I was! :messenger_grinning:

After you've finished stuffing your face at the Thanksgiving dinner table today, grab a piece of anniversary cake, along with your beverage of choice. Then, kick back for a while, and reminisce about your fond memories of this system and its games.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
After you've finished stuffing your face at the Thanksgiving dinner table today
Lunch Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

kunonabi

I indeed got one at launch. I thought it was going to be the next big thing. I was very very wrong but I got missile command 3d and Syndicate out of it so I'll take it as a win.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

It's amazing, growing up Atari seemed like this big entity who knew what they were doing. Years later, it's clear with the Jaguar and known financials, how small of a fish they had become. Nowhere close to the level of Sega or Nintendo in terms of spending, advertising, console production. So out of touch with third party contracts, fees and expectations. They were a shadow of their former selves. I might even argue the early Atari was extremely lucky to be the only majpr player. When Intelivision and Colecao entered the game, the cracks started to appear, then the crash.

Thank god for the Atari ST and seperate alternate Jaguar was still living in the early 80's with that keypad controller too. The whole thing came off as a micky mouse run orginization.

To be fair a few decent titles and extremely loyal fanbase years later, especially after market titles.

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
The Jag is the perfect console since it already looks like a toilet
It's amazing, growing up Atari seemed like this big entity who knew what they were doing. Years later, it's clear with the Jaguar and known financials, how small of a fish they had become. Nowhere close to the level of Sega or Nintendo in terms of spending, advertising, console production. So out of touch with third party contracts, fees and expectations. They were a shadow of their former selves. I might even argue the early Atari was extremely lucky to be the only majpr player. When Intelivision and Colecao entered the game, the cracks started to appear, then the crash.

Thank god for the Atari ST and seperate alternate Jaguar was still living in the early 80's with that keypad controller too. The whole thing came off as a micky mouse run orginization.

To be fair a few decent titles and extremely loyal fanbase years later, especially after market titles.
everything involving atari after tremial's take over is absolutely bananas, the amiga vs st is a special type of nuts, jay miner left atari to make his own hardware company, but atari agreed to finance the development, after the tremiel take over they wanted a better partner so tremiel's old company commodore bought the rights out, but tremiel brought Shijva shiraz (I think that's his name) the designer of the c64 from commodore and he designed the st, while miner made the amiga for commodore, so atari got the commodore 64's follow up and commodore ended up with the atari 8 bit's follow up,
then the quality control at atari in the 80s was something else
to maintain compatibility they just snipped wires in the control pads, games would be shipped in the wrong boxes with the wrong labels, games would have moisture on them when packaged, cartridges would be missing pcbs, huge numbers were shipped to Venezuela for some reason, us machines were shipped in pal boxes and vice versa

but in defense of the jaguar it has about a dozen neat exclusive plus the experience known as club drive and boy is that an experience,
plus how many other consoles have a game in which a scotsman shoots a fireball by lifting his kilt?

ReBurn

Gold Member
I loved mine. It was worth it to me for Tempest 2000 alone. Still have it but it has the red screen of death, hoping it will be possible to fix it one day. Now that Atari 50 exists and I can play Tempest 2000 on my Switch I feel like I can let it go.

Loved mine. They were cheap a while when a toy company bought lots cheap when Atari stopped support for the system. Alien vs Predator was my game!

old-parts

Never had the opportunity to own one but did have the Lynx.

There are a few decent games and there is a very good jaguar emulator these days called bigpemu for anyone who wants a trip down memory lane, probably forgotten by many but the jaguar had VR support! and now the emulator does too.

A while back I saw some video on Youtube about the Jaguar (sadly cant remember the link, I think it was interview with bigpemu dev), apparently the Jag design shipped with a hardware bug that crippled its 3D rendering speed, had the product been delayed its 3D performance would have been far higher. The planned jag 2 was going to be similar hardware just with the 3D bug fixed, man Atari made some really bad decisions back then.

I remember seeing commercials with a guy with a metal thing strapped to his head

then commercial that it came with 3 free games

Cattlyst

Didn't get one at launch but had one in around 1996. I thought it was pretty cool and had some good games...until I played on a friend's new PS1.

Krathoon

The best Jaguar emulator is BigPemu. Be sure to use the 1.091 version. The latest version crashes.

It also emulates Jaguar CDs.

There are also some great AVGN episodes about the Jaguar.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nah. I was buying my own systems and games at that point, and I just didn’t want it.
I also had purchased a Neo Geo AES, and games were over $200 a pop.

Krathoon

The Jaguar CD addon is notorious for breaking. The AVGN bought two and they both did not work. They also got a technician to hardwire it and it still did not work.

Havoc2049

Happy 30th to the Atari Jaguar 64-bit Interactive Multimedia System! This topic is....

7H6i5lY.png

I bought my Jaguar in December of 1993. I still have my original Jag w/box and even the receipt. I was one of the ST to Lynx to Jaguar crew. I was into the Jag hardcore and kept up on all the news, pre-ordered releases, was involved in the community, etc. I have a Jag, Jag CD, all the peripherals and a complete Jaguar and Jaguar CD retail game collection., along with a bunch of post-retail releases. I also own a bunch of collectibles for the system like catalogs, flyers, magazines, posters, etc.

Here's a couple of random digital pics I have in my archives.
YRmcFmz.jpg

P4A0LXe.jpg

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I was one of the unfortunate people to own one of these. I even had the CD add on. What a horrible fucking console.

TheMan

Never felt compelled to buy one nor did I know anyone else who had one. Not even interested in emulating tbh

Top Bottom