• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDC: Suicide Rates in America Have Climbed Dramatically (more than 30% in half the states)

Naudi

Banned
Even if white privilege exists, there's very limited use in pointing it out, as any white person could have hundreds of other reasons they could still be severely disadvantaged in modern society. Why stop at the colour of one's skin? That tells only a small part of the story. If you're truly this interested in finding out who has it worse, we should go all the way.

But perhaps we shouldn't focus on who has it worse, and just try to solve as many problems as possible for everyone.

I like that last bit. I think we should start by recognizing that white privilege exists and that alone can help that problem!

Moneal

Not going to list them all, you can do some leg work if you want to actually improve as a person. But one example was the number of times I was stopped by a cop as a kid while I had weed on me and not one time was I ever searched. Even if I was driving with expired tags and no insurance card. But I'm sure now you will argue black people aren't more likely to get pulled over or searched.
So you were not searched on one occasion, that points to privilege? it could point to many things that have zero to do with race or color. I could find black people that had similar occurrences. I am only mixed and have had similar occurrences where i was stopped and not searched, didn't have weed on me or anything illegal but I still wasn't searched. does that point to mixed privilege? no just that the cop didn't have any suspicion or care to search.

Naudi

Banned
So you were not searched on one occasion, that points to privilege? it could point to many things that have zero to do with race or color. I could find black people that had similar occurrences. I am only mixed and have had similar occurrences where i was stopped and not searched, didn't have weed on me or anything illegal but I still wasn't searched. does that point to mixed privilege? no just that the cop didn't have any suspicion or care to search.
Yes that's privilege. Poc are more often pulled over and searched. It's literally that simple. Now that we agree on one example feel free to spread you wings and fly, spend some time reading and learning. Make sure to come back and update us!

Hopefully your reading comprehension improves though as I clearly said number of times it happened. Not one time :)

Last edited:

Moneal

Yes that's privilege. Poc are more often pulled over and searched. It's literally that simple. Now that we agree on one example feel free to spread you wings and fly, spend some time reading and learning. Make sure to come back and update us!
I didn't agree on that one example. Poc also more often live in areas with greater crime, and more policing due to that crime, which could be a reason for being pulled over and searched more often.

Zog

Banned
I like that last bit. I think we should start by recognizing that white privilege exists and that alone can help that problem!

Really? It seems to me that the wide spread acknowledgment of white privilege has done nothing but embolden the white haters. It also makes people think that white people don't have problems and that prevents white problems from being addressed.

Last edited:

Naudi

Banned
I didn't agree on that one example. Poc also more often live in areas with greater crime, and more policing due to that crime, which could be a reason for being pulled over and searched more often.

Or think of it this way. Had I been searched at the same rate, me and my fellow white brethren would all have criminal records making it harder to succeed and in turn effectively raising our crime rates to those areas that are policed aggressively with the sole intention of putting them in jail. What I'm saying is there isn't any more drugs being carried by black people but they are searched at a much higher rate leading to more blacks incarcerated and keeping them in the system and in poverty. Priviledge.

Naudi

Banned
Really? It seems to me that the wide spread acknowledgment of white privilege has done nothing but embolden the white haters. It also makes people think that white people don't have problems and that prevents white problems from being addressed.

White haters? I haven't came across those at all. Is this all based off a random Twitter or some TV sitcom? Cause in real life that's now how this shit works. Sorry.
I'm not really sure what you mean by white problems, the problems I have seem to extend to poc as well, they just have an added layer of hard mode in some but not all instances.

Zog

Banned
White haters? I haven't came across those at all. Is this all based off a random Twitter or some TV sitcom? Cause in real life that's now how this shit works. Sorry.
I'm not really sure what you mean by white problems, the problems I have seem to extend to poc as well, they just have an added layer of hard mode in some but not all instances.
Thanks for proving my point that those who acknowledge white privilege also downplay the problems white people have. Have a good night.

Naudi

Banned
Thanks for proving my point that those who acknowledge white privilege also downplay the problems white people have. Have a good night.

I'm a white guy, I have no clue what you mean. Fill me in, or bounce cause you're making shit up.

Moneal

Or think of it this way. Had I been searched at the same rate, me and my fellow white brethren would all have criminal records making it harder to succeed and in turn effectively raising our crime rates to those areas that are policed aggressively with the sole intention of putting them in jail. What I'm saying is there isn't any more drugs being carried by black people but they are searched at a much higher rate leading to more blacks incarcerated and keeping them in the system and in poverty. Priviledge.

Crime rate is not based on arrests or criminal records. Its based on reports of crime. Reports of crime are higher in lower income areas. These areas are then policed more aggressively. These are areas in which black people also disproportionately inhabit, which then cause black people to be searched at a higher rate. Again it doesn't point to privilege that you would be less likely to be searched because you are white, only that you are less likely to be in an area with higher crime, thus less likely to be searched.

Naudi

Banned
Crime rate is not based on arrests or criminal records. Its based on reports of crime. Reports of crime are higher in lower income areas. These areas are then policed more aggressively. These are areas in which black people also disproportionately inhabit, which then cause black people to be searched at a higher rate. Again it doesn't point to privilege that you would be less likely to be searched because you are white, only that you are less likely to be in an area with higher crime, thus less likely to be searched.

Poc are more likely to be pulled over even in affluent areas. Try again? If they searched white people at the same rate that would produce more white people being in the system and making harder for them to progress in life, but they don't so that's priviledge.

Zog

Banned
I'm a white guy, I have no clue what you mean. Fill me in, or bounce cause you're making shit up.
You think that being white means you can't be a white hater? Have I got a story for you:

Professor banned from restaurant for profanity-laced rant against white children, university investigating
Article said:
A white professor at Rutgers University is being investigated by the school for a Facebook post captured by The Daily Caller that railed against white children eating in a Harlem restaurant while he was there.

“OK, officially, I now hate white people,” history professor James Livingston wrote in the post removed by Facebook for violating community standards. “I am a white people, for God’s sake, but can we keep them—us—us out of my neighborhood?”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/06/0...-white-children-university-investigating.html

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
-Edited out my comment-

That Tweet above is interesting.

Last edited:

Naudi

Banned
Wait are you saying I hate white people even though I'm white or are you saying non whites hate whites? I'm getting confused on what you're trying to say lol

Zog

Banned
Wait are you saying I hate white people even though I'm white or are you saying non whites hate whites? I'm getting confused on what you're trying to say lol

You said: 'I am a white guy' as if that was supposed to mean something. Why did you say it?

You also said:

You said:
White haters? I haven't came across those at all.

Now you have.

Last edited:

Naudi

Banned
Oh yeah I don't hate white people. And I mean of course there is atleast 1 of every kind of hater. But I've never met a white person that legitimatly hates white people lol. Plenty of whites that hate blacks though, or Hispanics especially. Where I live there is alot of Hispanics and it really irritates some guys. But I'm not sure why we are even talking about this, guess the initial argument hit a brick wall huh?

Dunki

Oh yeah I don't hate white people. And I mean of course there is atleast 1 of every kind of hater. But I've never met a white person that legitimatly hates white people lol. Plenty of whites that hate blacks though, or Hispanics especially. Where I live there is alot of Hispanics and it really irritates some guys. But I'm not sure why we are even talking about this, guess the initial argument hit a brick wall huh?
They are mostly from a specific ideology and they are going hard into all of this. Some would also call them SJW. Here is one prime example

8128a82167d14227908e0824c24e883a.jpg

And no this is not a joke. Dean Hutton really thinks this. He also think that white people should not be allowed to draw black people. He is the most caziest person in all of this. Put also people like Jack Moore are doing this constantly.

f2b.jpg

And to me the excuse it is not meant for all white people does not work. Just like it does not work when someone says fuck black people. I think we are talking about this because there is a double standard going on that is not ok and that this also leads to more suicides since white men are being very often treated like shit in media especially. When you get told over and over how shitty you are because of your gender and race it will leave marks in your mind.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
Oh now you have to personally meet a white hater? Keep moving that goal post.

Naudi

Banned
Lol...So many "victims" in here. Some extreme fragility. Some random Twitter does not affect me. Not moving goal posts at all, this isn't even what we were talking about but I see you ran out of lame arguments. White privilege exists and it's real and the sooner you figure that out the better off we will all be . Quit feeling sorry for yourselves you aren't victims. Thought the left was all about crying victim, holy shit.

Dunki

Lol...So many "victims" in here. Some extreme fragility. Some random Twitter does not affect me. Not moving goal posts at all, this isn't even what we were talking about but I see you ran out of lame arguments. White privilege exists and it's real and the sooner you figure that out the better off we will all be . Quit feeling sorry for yourselves you aren't victims. Thought the left was all about crying victim, holy shit.
I think we had this before but I really think you need to take a look at your deeply hatred of white people and ask yourself if it is fitting to use a word like fragility when the suicide rate of white middle aged men has risen to 40% in the last 10 years.

If you want this kind of privilege I am sure people would love to switch sides with you. And it is not about left or right it is about people killigng themselves

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
You see, this is what happens when people mention problems that white people face. All of a sudden it's 'stop being a victim and accept that white people have privilege'. Like I said, your ideology leads to apathy for problems white people face and white hatred.

Naudi

Banned
Lol... I'm just glad that as a straight white male I'm still happy with my life, I enjoy being white and I don't feel the need to be a victim. Go me!

Zog

Banned
Lol... I'm just glad that as a straight white male I'm still happy with my life, I enjoy being white and I don't feel the need to be a victim. Go me!

Just keep talking, your apathy for the problems white people face becomes more clear the more you talk.

Naudi

Banned
You want me to feel bad for myself when you cant even admit POC get pulled over and searched more often. I refuse to be a victim. Sorry not sorry.

Zog

Banned
You want me to feel bad for myself when you cant even admit POC get pulled over and searched more often. I refuse to be a victim. Sorry not sorry.

I don't want you to feel bad FOR YOURSELF, I just want you to recognize that white people have problems too.

It's interesting that you 'refuse to be a victim' while assigning victim hood to black people.

I don't want you to feel bad FOR YOURSELF, I just want you to recognize that white people have problems too.

It's interesting that you 'refuse to be a victim' while assigning victim hood to black people.

Naudi is going to pull his bootstraps so high, he'll default unto the US Space Force.

Naudi

Banned
Dude all people have problems. No shit, I just don't have problems that stem from being white lol. If you ask my mom white chrsitians have the hardest life imaginable in America, maybe if they stopped making everyone else's lives miserable they wouldn't feel like such a target. The poor poor oppressors are losing their power, its called equality. Get over it.

Ke0

In other words, you are going to downplay it.

Isn't that what you Americans do for everything? I imagine if someone made a thread about problems faced by Black Americans, Muslim Americans, women (especially on this board) etc it'd be downplayed as well. You guys can't ask for empathy while in the same breath giving none to these same groups you're asking for it from.

You dismiss their problems and tell them to suck it up or that they're whining or playing victim and that life isn't fair are completely fine opinions to have, but when that's your frame of discourse don't be surprised when people think the same of you and your problems.
I'm not American so outside looking in, it's hard for me to really empathise with this whole "white oppression/genocide" thing you are all going on about. I just don't see it.

What 'lot' would that be? Can you quote me saying that?

Lot as in Americans, you don't personally have to have ever said that, but you can't deny that your country is very much of the "every man for himself", "fuck you got mine", "shouldn't have gotten X healthcare issue", "I don't want my money going towards those people" mentality. And as a result you have terrible upwards mobility, a absolutely ridiculous infant morality rate, suicide rates on the rise, terrible wages, no real safety net, hilarious amounts of medical debt, mental healthcare is unaffordable for many, opioids crisis because people care more about corporations making money than their own well being.

Sadly the UK sees America as this place that should be emulated. Hard pass on that

Last edited:

Dunki

Dude all people have problems. No shit, I just don't have problems that stem from being white lol. If you ask my mom white chrsitians have the hardest life imaginable in America, maybe if they stopped making everyone else's lives miserable they wouldn't feel like such a target. The poor poor oppressors are losing their power, its called equality. Get over it.
In a thread which talks about the high sucides rates this post is not only disrespectful but to me it is really disgusting. People who are on the edge of death are not opressors in aany form. They are struggle to be alive. We are not talking here about rich people who got bored and decided to kill themselves. We are talking mostly about a very poor class of people who struggle every fucking hour in their life. To come up with such a post shows ANY lack of respect, empathy and capability to talk about social issues....

Last edited:

Naudi

Banned
In a thread which talks about the high sucides rates this post is not only disrespectful but to me it is really disgusting. People who are on the edge of death are not opressors in aany form. They are struggle to be alive. We are not talking here about rich people who got bored and decided to kill themselves. We are talking mostly about a very poor class of people who struggle every fucking hour in their life. To come up with such a post shows ANY lack of respect, empathy and capability to talk about social issues....

Im sorry I offended you.

Dunki

Im sorry I offended you.
I am not offended I never get offended. I am more disgusted but since I believe in Free speech and that every opinion matters I have to accept this opinion no matter what. So good for you to think like this I guess. Luckily I can go out for a bit and watch some Soccer.

Last edited:

Battlechili

Banned
Your parents most likely didn't go into debt for shit they didn't need.

They didn't pay monthly to have a iPhone and data they burned through watching world star.
They didn't pay to eat meals out at high frequency.
They made their cup of coffee at home for $10 a week, not $10 a day.
They didn't spend their free time or break time on Facebook.
They didn't put so much time into their social status.
They didn't need a BMW or multiple cars.

The American Dream for many was Middle Class life. Now it's celebrity life or my life sucks.
None of this is true. Acquiring a single clunker car that actually functions in itself is a pricey affair. College alone puts humungous debts on people (I myself am about 30k in debt thanks to college and I own neither a car nor a house).
Milennials are also on average eating out less.
The cost of living has gone up, but wages haven't met them. A minimum wage job cannot support even the most humble of livings thanks to the cost of rent being so high almost everywhere (near a thousand dollars), not even accounting for the cost of car note, health insurance, car insurance, and food. Throw in college debt with that too.
Just get a better job you might say, but that's no easy feat either. No one is guaranteed a job. Even my mother, who is 60 years old and works as a case worker, only makes minimum wage.

And me, well, I'm still in college working towards a CS degree. With no vehicle of my own and my soon graduation, I'm a little scared of what might happen if I don't find a job out of school. I live in a tiny dying town. There's nothing but minimum wage work here. I fear being unable to escape this place and live a life on my own someplace. Forget a BMW and eating out; I just want to be able to actually afford a car and pay off college debt and live on my own someplace

None of this is true. Acquiring a single clunker car that actually functions in itself is a pricey affair. College alone puts humungous debts on people (I myself am about 30k in debt thanks to college and I own neither a car nor a house).
Milennials are also on average eating out less.
The cost of living has gone up, but wages haven't met them. A minimum wage job cannot support even the most humble of livings thanks to the cost of rent being so high almost everywhere (near a thousand dollars), not even accounting for the cost of car note, health insurance, car insurance, and food. Throw in college debt with that too.
Just get a better job you might say, but that's no easy feat either. No one is guaranteed a job. Even my mother, who is 60 years old and works as a case worker, only makes minimum wage.

And me, well, I'm still in college working towards a CS degree. With no vehicle of my own and my soon graduation, I'm a little scared of what might happen if I don't find a job out of school. I live in a tiny dying town. There's nothing but minimum wage work here. I fear being unable to escape this place and live a life on my own someplace. Forget a BMW and eating out; I just want to be able to actually afford a car and pay off college debt and live on my own someplace
What field are you looking to get into? What does it pay?

Last edited:

Battlechili

Banned
What field are you looking to get into? What does it pay?
I'd ideally like to be a programmer. It's what I'm in school for anyways (Computer Science), but I'd take any computer related job all the way down to something as basic as IT if nothing else.
Programmers supposedly make on average around 70k a year with 100k on the high end and 30k on the low end, which sounds like incredible pay really. I just worry about whether or not I'd be able to land such a job. It's difficult to imagine while still in college and only having had minimum wage jobs. I've even done IT a bit during the summer with such results.

What field are you looking to get into?
I'd ideally like to be a programmer. It's what I'm in school for anyways (Computer Science), but I'd take any computer related job all the way down to something as basic as IT if nothing else.
Programmers supposedly make on average around 70k a year with 100k on the high end and 30k on the low end, which sounds like incredible pay really. I just worry about whether or not I'd be able to land such a job. It's difficult to imagine while still in college and only having had minimum wage jobs. I've even done IT a bit during the summer with such results.
You are a broke college student with debt. The majority are. Understand you may need to relocate in order to find that job. But you can’t have the worry about milk that hasn’t spilled.

I just moved into a town with nothing but minimum wage options. Think my tax money is going here? Haha, not for long. I'll be with the yuppies in 6 months. But housing is expensive everywhere here, which I'm not used to. I doubled my money but my rent goes way up too. I don't know how they afford it here.

n0razi

Let the record show, that I agreed with Super Mario on something.

Teen pregnancy is actually on the decline, as youth/people are generally having less sex. But the other two, you're on point.

I took a 300mg caffeine pill this morning because *I* forgot that I was 34 instead of 24, and am at work on 4 hours of sleep. I usually just tough it out, but there was no way I was getting through my boring stack of paperwork today without it.

AND
I
FEEL
FANTASTIC!!!!

I can feel the ache in my joints from the lack of sleep, but I'm alert AF!
I feel like I could go outside and pick up my car over my head like the Hulk and toss it into my house from 40 miles away, lol!

And I said to myself, "I CANNOT make a habit of this." I usually don't even drink coffee, let alone drink energy drinks of any kind or take a gas station pill. This is DANGEROUS, as I read like 10 paragraphs of health risks associated with this pill before I ingested it, let alone if I made a habit of consuming them daily like some people do.

I can see how this can become addicting if you suffer from insomnia, sleep apnea, are overworked juggling 3 jobs due to low wages, or just need a general pick-me-up like a low-grade version of Speed (let's be honest here...this *is* legalized crack).

We are under-rested, and heavily medicated, to corroborate what @AngularSaxophone said about stress.

It's great to see GAF in AGREEMENT on a topic for a change!

jesse.jpeg

But Mass shootings could be decreased by limiting access to guns.

Lives could be saved if the USA got rid of all rights people have, not just gun rights.

I am sure people have lost their life because they didn’t have freedom of speech. And people still get killed exercising that right if they have it. People die because of guns. Lives are also saved because of guns.

But thankfully I have the right to own guns.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
White men are the only group that it's ok to openly attack for the their race and gender.
No it's not. False claims of victimhood by the largest, wealthiest, most powerful group in the country are asinine and disingenuous.

Dunki

No it's not. False claims of victimhood by the largest, wealthiest, most powerful group in the country are asinine and disingenuous.
most white people are far from rich and powerful. They are struggling in their daily life’s like any poor black person please stop generalizing.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
You see, this is what happens when people mention problems that white people face. All of a sudden it's 'stop being a victim and accept that white people have privilege'. Like I said, your ideology leads to apathy for problems white people face and white hatred.

One can believe in white privilege and also care about the problems white people face and think they are serious. It's very possible actually.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
most white people are far from rich and powerful. They are struggling in their daily life’s like any poor black person please stop generalizing.
Fantastic. You entirely missed the point. Congratulations.

Top Bottom