• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt Red Emergency Board Call Recording Online: Refunds, Multiplayer, More

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Cyberpunk looks & runs worse (with worse AI) than pretty much all major open world titles on the ps4. So either every other game does perform "miracles" (Red Dead 2, Sleeping Dogs, GTA 5, Horizon Zero Dawn, Far Cry 5, Assassin's Creed Origins etc. etc.) because "how else" could they run on the ps4... or it's CDPR who've royally screwed-up.

Why does this argument continuously get brought up: "open world game" is not some blanket term that can accurately describe the scope of each and every game. The closest game in this list that would match CP77 is GTA5 with how much geometry is going on in the game. RDR2, HZD, ACO and FC5 all have wide open areas with not a ton of geometry going on. Then you add on how detailed the models are. There is a reason why the game - on every platform - takes a spectacular dive in quality once you're in a heavily populated area like the KABUKI roundabout in Japantown.

There is a lot going on in the game and to just handwave "Oh all open worlds are the same" is spectacularly silly.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Cyberpunk looks & runs worse (with worse AI) than pretty much all major open world titles on the ps4. So either every other game does perform "miracles" (Red Dead 2, Sleeping Dogs, GTA 5, Horizon Zero Dawn, Far Cry 5, Assassin's Creed Origins etc. etc.) because "how else" could they run on the ps4... or it's CDPR who've royally screwed-up.

For Christ's sake it's not the ps4 which is the problem, it's the terrible port of Cyberpunk which is at fault.
Those games were designed with the limitations of the system they run on in mind. They're able to looks good because they're able to run at a decent resolution and frame rate and have texture budgets the fit in RAM.

Cyberpunk is just not. It's a high end PC game dialed down to potato quality without the kinds of fundamental changes to its assets and underlying technology that would be needed for it to actually look good and run well.

It's not the PS4's "fault", but it's also not just "inefficient code," the game is just doing shit with lighting (and a trillion light sources which is one of the things that really slows games down), and streaming of really high quality assets that the PS4 can't keep up with and there's not really a way to fix that without rebuilding a lot of the game.

SF Kosmo

I still don't understand why they didn't target last gen consoles, made that their primary version, and then went to upgrades for PC and next/current gen.

People just expected the fidelity shown in the gameplay trailer two years ago. My guess is that would have been achievable on base PS4.
It sort of vindactes Watch Dogs a bit, looking back, huh? Like that was another game that targeted this very high end spec but when they had to deliver it as a cross-gen title, they built assets that could work on the lowest common denominator and then scaled up.

And that obviously took its toll on the next gen versions which didn't look as good as they could have. And Witcher 3 had its own downgrade controversy remember.

CDPR doubled down and went the other way, pulled out all the stops and made something maximally beautiful and next-gen, but impossible (or very challenging) to scale down to last gen.

Obviously this strategy would have served them a lot better if they went next-gen only.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Really wish we had a timeline on when to expect the Next Gen patch
i said this in another thread, but I would not expect too much from a next gen patch. My rtx 2080 is struggling to run this with RT on. Even with Alex's optimized settings where I turned down a bunch of settings to medium and had RT shadows off, i am still getting 25-28 fps while driving around in the city at native 1440p. I would have to turn DLSS to quality mode to get to 40-45, but the game already looks so blurry I dont really want to use DLSS even it's best quality mode.

The PS5's RT is roughly equivalent to a 2060's if Watch Dogs is any indication. And that gpu is roughly 40% less powerful than mine. i say expect 1080p with rt and 1440p or dynamic 4k with rt off and 30 fps. it's a great looking game on pc, but man i hate the blurry look and the constant LOD transitions. at 1080p on consoles, it's going to look far worse than it does on my pc right now.

i said this in another thread, but I would not expect too much from a next gen patch. My rtx 2080 is struggling to run this with RT on. Even with Alex's optimized settings where I turned down a bunch of settings to medium and had RT shadows off, i am still getting 25-28 fps while driving around in the city at native 1440p. I would have to turn DLSS to quality mode to get to 40-45, but the game already looks so blurry I dont really want to use DLSS even it's best quality mode.

The PS5's RT is roughly equivalent to a 2060's if Watch Dogs is any indication. And that gpu is roughly 40% less powerful than mine. i say expect 1080p with rt and 1440p or dynamic 4k with rt off and 30 fps. it's a great looking game on pc, but man i hate the blurry look and the constant LOD transitions. at 1080p on consoles, it's going to look far worse than it does on my pc right now.

I guess it depends on how much more they will optimize on consoles. The game doesn’t seem to be well optimized for anything it runs on

unfortunately their plate is full of all other fixes as well, so yeah I’m not holding my breath but at least it will be better than it is currently

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
Those games were designed with the limitations of the system they run on in mind. They're able to looks good because they're able to run at a decent resolution and frame rate and have texture budgets the fit in RAM.

Cyberpunk is just not. It's a high end PC game dialed down to potato quality without the kinds of fundamental changes to its assets and underlying technology that would be needed for it to actually look good and run well.

It's not the PS4's "fault", but it's also not just "inefficient code," the game is just doing shit with lighting (and a trillion light sources which is one of the things that really slows games down), and streaming of really high quality assets that the PS4 can't keep up with and there's not really a way to fix that without rebuilding a lot of the game.

I'm reminded of that scene in Jurassic Park when the bloodsucking lawyer suggests a "coupon day" for less wealthy visitors after Hammond had claimed his park wasn't just for the super rich, but for everyone (or words to that effect).

Maybe next time CDPR design a video game, they'll try to make sure it's not just catered for people with 2k or 3k PC rigs (especially here in western Europe where that stuff is much more expensive than in America). Because "if" it doesn't scale down well at all & looks "blurry" or is guaranteed to have shit resolution & image quality/framerate on next gen ps5 & Series X systems, then wow.

I guess any developer could push assets & lighting to an insane degree & say "voilà, best graphics ever!"... but when no other than people with expensive PC's can get a system to run the damned thing well (especially consoles with 100 million+ potential customers), they'll be merely screwing themselves.

I'm reminded of that scene in Jurassic Park when the bloodsucking lawyer suggests a "coupon day" for less wealthy visitors after Hammond had claimed his park wasn't just for the super rich, but for everyone (or words to that effect).

Maybe next time CDPR design a video game, they'll try to make sure it's not just catered for people with 2k or 3k PC rigs (especially here in western Europe where that stuff is much more expensive than in America). Because "if" it doesn't scale down well at all & looks "blurry" or is guaranteed to have shit resolution & image quality/framerate on next gen ps5 & Series X systems, then wow.

I guess any developer could push assets & lighting to an insane degree & say "voilà, best graphics ever!"... but when no other than people with expensive PC's can get a system to run the damned thing well (especially consoles with 100 million+ potential customers), they'll be merely screwing themselves.

Wait for next-gen patches for PS5 and XSX, technically it's just a BC game on them right now. Foresaking 100+ million customers is tough but every company not releasing a Switch game is forsaking at least 60+ million, they do it all the time when the hardware is too primitive.

SF Kosmo

I'm sure the game will be great on PS5 and Series X once they do a proper port to those platforms. Even as it is it's not too shabby on them. Even the Xbox One X and Series S seem to do just fine. PS4 Pro is not terrible either.

But those base consoles, it isn't a matter of them not being a $2000 PC, they're probably less than a quarter of what even a mid range PC can do, plus slow hard drives and I/O constraints that are huge bottlenecks for a game like this. It truly is like porting a PS4 game to Switch.

There is no arguing the fact that CDPR screwed themselves. Building the game with the lowest common denominator in mind like everyone else would have made them a lot more money and not cost them irreparable harm to their reputation.

I am not saying building the game to high end spec was the smart commercial move. And launching simultaneously on consoles that can run the game is not worth what it cost them either.

The choice was either limit your player base by going next gen only, or make a game for the ocean of current gen owners that is not as graphically ambitious. They didn't do either of those.

They probably could have even gotten away with mediocre ports on last gen if they were stable and if they launched them AFTER the next gen versions so people kind of saw them as downports the way they do games like Doom on Switch.

Last edited:
Investors have one goal that is to make money. Like what do you expect that they are passionate gamers? rofl.

Then why bet on something like videogames? There's FANG right there who's sole purpose is to keep siphoning off customers with greater returns. You need to question yourself as an investor putting money to things you don't understand. There's a big problem with apologists right here is that they believe investors are immune from criticism.

Kenpachii

Then why bet on something like videogames? There's FANG right there who's sole purpose is to keep siphoning off customers with greater returns. You need to question yourself as an investor putting money to things you don't understand. There's a big problem with apologists right here is that they believe investors are immune from criticism.

Most people that invest don't know what they are doing. They invest because people keep telling them they get rich from it.

Mahavastu

Critical patches will be coming as far put as February?! Holy, development on this game spiralled out of control at some point.
I assume the company does pretty much nothing for about 2 weeks because of Christmas and new year.
After the stress over the last months I guess the employees deserve that time off.

• They also state earlier in the call there was limited QA testing done on the game, it was all done "in house" and no experienced third party contractors were used. CDPR employees played iterative builds of the game in their homes due to the pandemic and that's how they tested the game. They say there wasn't much attention put on the last generation console versions of the game. (you know, the consoles the game was originally made for before the delays)
The game was always a PC first game, tho

Sureeeeeeee, they didn't know how the game ran on last gen consoles. That's why they did everything ok their power to not show those versions, right? Lmao

Top Bottom