• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capturing video vertically (portrait) will be a disservice human history

We've become a generation capable of producing video greater than any cinema from even the lowest smartphone.

Human memory, life changing events, archived as motion pictures.

Yet, the simple fact that you didn't just...rotate your phone to record in landscape, will make content that's are hundreds of years ago have more historical value.

Even commercial media like ads are produced in a vertical resolution.

Basketball Ok GIF by Malcolm France

Klosshufvud

Eh who cares? Digital recording is trash anyways. The value of filming died with the old, grain-rich, film stock.

HoodWinked

Ya there was a time when people would shame when others recorded vertically it was pretty consistent then like most dogshit trends, tiktok made it into a thing and all those good learned habits vaporized within a couple months.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
We should go back to 4:3. Better framing for a lot of content except huge productions, and tons of epic movies were shot in 4:3 anyway.

A lot of video content doesn’t need landscape mode. It just adds useless noise on the sides.

With frantic shaking, lack of focus and people filming from the back of crowds, I don't think many videos are worth drive space now let alone in future.

May aswell give a camera to every cat, most humans are incapable of recording the most basic events regardless of aspect ratio.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

We should go back to 4:3. Better framing for a lot of content except huge productions, and tons of epic movies were shot in 4:3 anyway.

A lot of video content doesn’t need landscape mode. It just adds useless noise on the sides.
I agree. 4:3 generally provides superior framing. This applies to films, TV shows and even video games alike.

Muffdraul

My new favorite is when I watch a vertically shot vid on my phone, but it's been reformatted to a horizontal video with those blurry panels of the vid on the sides. You just can't win.

Top Bottom