• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can you use PS5 on an older monitor?

Jesb

So I have an older monitor that’s only 1680x1050 resolution. It’s only a temporary display for now. I kind of lost access to my living room for now so looking to buy another console and use this display until I buy a 4K display. So I’m just curious how well the PS5 would work with this.

This model.

Mowcno

The manual for this monitor says it supports 1080p input. So the ps5 will run games at 1080p and send 1080p to the monitor. But the monitor is not 16:9 and is a lower resolution than 1080p.

Most likely it will take the 1080p image and scale it to 1680x945 with black bars above and below. You might have the option to stretch it to fill the screen.

Shifty1897

According to that link, this monitor doesn't have HDMI in. You'd have to buy a conversion cable to DVI/VGA, the picture quality would be awful (seriously, you have no idea how bad this would look) and you'd lose sound. It's not worth it, just get a cheap 4K from Walmart.

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

Even a somewhat modern and cheap monitor from ebay/local ads will be better.

It's not worth the hassle or disappointment.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I tested this once since I had an old monitor lying around at the time and I was curious. Like said before, it will fall back on 720p if monitor doesn't support the next best resolution (i.e. 1080p) but the picture shouldn't be a horrible as others say because it's a smaller screen. It would only look bad if a small resolution would be blown up on a large screen but with a 20 inch monitor it should look okay enough to be playable.

If the monitor doesn't have an HDMI port then you can buy an HDMI-to-DVI adapter for cheap too, no need to buy an entire cable.

PeteBull

So I have an older monitor that’s only 1680x1050 resolution. It’s only a temporary display for now. I kind of lost access to my living room for now so looking to buy another console and use this display until I buy a 4K display. So I’m just curious how well the PS5 would work with this.

This model.
Just to show u some cheap brands alternatives that will save ur butt:

There are some more but thats roughly price/quality u can expect/get in ur situation, still 20x better from that junk monitor of urs from dinosaurs era :p

Last edited:

Jesb

I tested this once since I had an old monitor lying around at the time and I was curious. Like said before, it will fall back on 720p if monitor doesn't support the next best resolution (i.e. 1080p) but the picture shouldn't be a horrible as others say because it's a smaller screen. It would only look bad if a small resolution would be blown up on a large screen but with a 20 inch monitor it should look okay enough to be playable.

If the monitor doesn't have an HDMI port then you can buy an HDMI-to-DVI adapter for cheap too, no need to buy an entire cable.
It actually is hdmi.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Just get a 1080p monitor. They are so cheap. People even give them away on Facebook or Craigslist.
Yeah, that too. Hell, if OP was somewhere close by, I'd give him mine for free. It only takes up space and the amount of money that I would get from selling it wouldn't be enough to make it worth the hassle, lol.

Top Bottom