• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can I be honest? Buying Activision is a dirty move and now Sony is being a dirty baby and I don't give a shit anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

ByWatterson

So, I need to complain to someone and the wife works too hard to subject her to this so let's go.

Sony is being a big dumb baby about the Activision acquisition. They're misrepresenting their position, their goals, their methods, and their history. What they're doing in Europe appears a wee bit corrupt. It's shitty.

But you know what? Using $70 bil to corner large portions of the market is shitty, too. Is it monopolistic? No. Nah. But it's not about competition or any other altruistic bullshit. It's about making COD exclusive.

Let me pause there. This ten-year deal plan is also bullshit. They were absolutely going to give Playstation pared down versions until regulators started sniffing. They're only giving Nintendo and Valve agreements to make Sony look bad. They don't want to compete, they want to buy dominance.

Why? Because as incredible as Game Pass is (and I LOVE it, truly), Microsoft hasn't been able to find that first party secret sauce.

Microsoft is being a big dirty baby.
And Sony is a being a big shitty baby.

And I'm done thinking about these big, dumb, shitty, dirty babies.

pqueue

nothing is stopping Sony from going out and making any and all acquisitions they can afford to make, especially give how low interest rates have been the last decade.

and it most definitely has not stopped them moneyhatting exclusive content and timed exclusives.

I hope the deal goes through, and I hope sony makes some huge purchases of their own.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

I hope it goes through because it’s a good value to me. I’m not a doomer about it being bad for the industry. Someone was likely going to buy them anyway, and it is what it is. And tbh I don’t really care lol.

Same. I want all of COD on Game Pass.

But thinking about this deal is so exhausting.

Jennings

I own an Xbox but I don't subscribe to Gamepass. I don't care if the deal goes through or not because I don't care what they put on Gamepass, it doesn't affect my buying habits. And if Sony wants a game like COD on their platform they can just make one.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
e20997c5-6d11-4d78-9cf9-14ded9965f30_text.gif

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
If this deal falls apart tencent or someone else will just buy activision for pennies on the dollar. I have a zillion ways to play activision games and very rarely do. Don’t really care. I wonder what MS will do if the deal falls apart.

feynoob

Anyone who is cheering for MS to buy Activision is an idiot.
I don't care how great gamepass is. No one should support a trillion dollar spending $68b.

That is just not good for the market.

If this deal is approved, Google, tencent, Amazon, and Facebook would buy your favorite publishers.

That is the big side effect of this deal.

Gamerguy84

Well yes MS is trying to buy its success. Out of all the things theyve bought and destroyed ive never seen them so dedicated to anything outside wondows/office Of course Sony is trying to stop it. PS is Sony main money maker.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I don't care how great gamepass is. No one should support a trillion dollar spending $68b.

If this deal is approved, Google, tencent, Amazon, and Facebook would buy your favorite publishers.

Yea you’re not wrong but fuck Sony and their timed exclusives and moneyhats too.

i suspect that will happen regardless. Gaming the most profitable form of media and everyone wants to get it. It’s going to suck when outsiders like Google and Amazon start making buys.

PSYGN

Lol, I also find it funny. Sony having exclusivity deals and rubbing it in the face of their competitors. Now their competitor is like nah we'll just outright try to buy them. Sony: Noooooo!!!

I don't want this deal to go through. If anything it would be nice if Sony agrees not to do bullshit exclusivities anymore as a truce.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The ONLY thing Activision ever did that would give a fuck is published Sekiro….that’s it! I don’t give a rat ass who buys them, I will still not play 99% games they make.

ByWatterson

i suspect that will happen regardless. Gaming the most profitable form of media and everyone wants to get it. It’s going to suck when outsiders like Google and Amazon start making buys.

Will those buys matter though? Both have tried to break through and seem either unable or unwilling to do it well.

Last edited:
It’s not the complicated. Microsoft can’t compete. So they have chosen to buy major publishers, and they already have indicated they plan on buying more.

Facebook, Microsoft, Amazon, Apple, Google.. all don’t have the flexibility most companies have to buy major powers in markets since they have monopoly tendencies.

Sony will probably be fine, but there potential for MS to simply burn money to race to the bottom of prices. Sony’s bread and butter is selling games. So MS will simply aim for subscribers and try to bleed Sony dry.

Seeing that MS already offers the cloud service infrastructure … this isn’t really about the console space…..

It’s kinda like a major movie theater buying some movie studios.

but anyways the deal will probably go thur, just with more concessions than MS expected.

Will those buys matter though? Both have tried to break through and seem either unable or unwilling to do it well.
I think it will segment the market. They aren’t going to be in gaming for the long haul. My concern would be Amazon or Google make a big purchase, their platform fails, and those companies end up with devs the shell of themselves like EA has done to so many. That’s my only real concern here.

bootaski

Companies have to fight tooth and nail to stay in business and as long as they're not breaking the law they should be allowed to do so. SpaceX vs Blue Origin over government contracts. Tesla with autopilot. Bottom line they're not charities.

93xfan

Banned

They already tried to by Zenimax. This move may make them think twice about pushing into console gaming.

Rac3r

The ONLY thing Activision ever did that would give a fuck is published Sekiro….that’s it! I don’t give a rat ass who buys them, I will still not play 99% games they make.

Yup and luckily FromSoftware owns the Sekiro IP and not Activision.

Raonak

Banned
It's only good value to people to subscribe to gameass.

To everyone else it is nothing but a net negative

RCU005

Microsoft just need to become multi-platform already. Phil "Promises" Spencer has always said that everyone should enjoy gaming no matter the console, well, this is their opportunity to do so.

They screwed everyone this gen with the Series S, and even then, they haven't even made second place. They have to realize that their consoles just don't sell.

Now, the other important thing: The games! They have failed so much in that regard too. Hellblade 2 was the first Xbox Series X game announced and it's still not out yet. In many of their announced games it's just Crackdown 3 all over again (development hell, creative differences, etc)

They need to focus all their energy into making all those studios they've bought, make them work and then just put those games on PC, PlayStation, Nintendo (where applicable), and make sure Gamepass (XCloud) is in every TV sold. No Xbox consoles needed.

If the Activision deal passes, they'd already be one of the largest publishers from the start.

Last edited:

angrod14

I don't give a flying fuck about COD nor any of Activision's shit, except maybe Crash, but that's on PS too.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Could not think of a more positive development for gaming as a whole. We would enter a golden age of 3 highly competitive and attractive consoles. Consumers would experience unprecedented wins.

Please tell me this is satire.

Consolidation and corporatization is the worst. You might enjoy the convenience in the short term, but in the long run you'll simply end up paying more for less choice.

Please tell me this is satire.

Consolidation and corporatization is the worst. You might enjoy the convenience in the short term, but in the long run you'll simply end up paying more for less choice.
Nope. We would enter a world where all 3 consoles are worth owning. Thats hugely positive. If anything I'd push this through and then want Nintendo to get Platinum and Mercury Steam then call it good. Im sure PS will get someone as well which is fine. Then they will all aggressively compete instead of whole ecosystems being laughing stocks. They should all be strong.

I dont personally give a shit about 99% of Activision games. My only interest is in seeing Sony forced to compete. They're too dominant and complacent. Activision in its current 3rd party form is irrelevant to me. Activision that strengthen MS and pushes Sony is worth something.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom