• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty Releases Statement on SBMM For The First Time

nemiroff

Gold Member
Al Pacino Money GIF

Audiophile

Gold Member
One of the really crappy things is the loss of the casual element. Particularly just sitting with friends, taking turns, having an easygoing time.

I recall the COD4, WAW, MW2, BLOPS MW3 & BLOPS2 days (as well as R6 Vegas 1/2 & BF:BC2 & BF3, TitFall2 Pilots) with my brother. He'd be there completely baked on weed and I'd be enjoying a few beers. Just a free day and a fun, casual hangout; and it was so easygoing and enjoyable. You'd win a lot, lose a lot, hit middleground a lot, but it was a very organic experience. Now it's just sweat or dominate, super-predictable, you've gotta be sat up, eyelids peeled back, perfect grip, complete awareness and ready to pop.

Hell, in the COD4 through MW3 days I was strung out on high dose codeine while playing (had leukaemia and was prescribed it for costochondritis from steroid treatment); and I could still hang tight and enjoy games despite being in cloud cuckoo land.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I like SBMM, it is way more engaging than the old COD games for people that are casual players. After a couple of hundred hours of MW2. My stats say I won 50% of matches and had a K/D slightly over One. I had some terrible games and some games where I dominated.

Before SBMM there was so many games where the lobby was completely one sided where the opposing team was constantly dropping killstreaks. That is not fun and blowouts ruin the game experience. People have limits to their ability to improve and SBMM tries to recognize this and avoid those situations.

The sweatfest comment comes up a lot and I don’t understand what it means. Don’t people always generally try to play to win or to do well?
Generally people do try to do their best and win but so far my KD sits at .99 and WL is .90 but I am grinding camos and have gotten my worst guns out of the way, mainly snipers which I am not good at in these style COD games.

A lot of people bring up KD a lot and honestly KD is not hard to manipulate in any shooter game as the real stat is score per minute and not even sure this COD tracks that anymore.

Audiophile

Gold Member
Had an insane Score Per Minute in MW'19 when I actually did the math (aggressive kill confirmed player), but the reporting on it was completely broken. Last time I checked (last year) its was still saying '89'..:messenger_loudly_crying:

TheZink

I played 5 games in a row today where my team lost by 50% or more. Also on half the games we were had at least 2 less players on our team the entire match. Great times! 😒

The sweatfest comment comes up a lot and I don’t understand what it means. Don’t people always generally try to play to win or to do well?

Call of duty open rooms are not balanced in terms of maps, modes, guns available, perks and gadgets. As such if you are someone who has high gunskill and gamesense, who just naturally can run around and get a lot of kills without abusing broken spots, gadgets, guns. You will then get matches vs people who DO abuse all the scrubby shit things in cod that should be BANNED when playing competitively. I'm all for a LOOSE level of skill based matching. But for me personally. The last few cods have been so boring because after my first 5 games of being able to run around and have fun, I get matched vs campers, scrubs and a few very good players. It means I can no longer play the game in a casual manner because you just get consistently punished - which to me is antithetical to the entire point of UNRANKED and CASUAL matchmaking.

Bad players who play casually dont notice this because in their skill level they CAN still play casually. For me it's never an option and as such I stopped playing the game. I like playing vs people my skill in ranked, where things are balanced, its 4v4, all the bullshit maps and modes are gone along with most of the bullshit guns and gadgets/streaks.

SBMM is a painful subject because 90% of the playerbase rightfully so don't see much difference. But it really punishes people who like to have fun but are above average in skill. I just stopped buying the games and moved on. If I hear SBMM is loosened a bit, I'll consider buying again.

//DEVIL//

I played 5 games in a row today where my team lost by 50% or more. Also on half the games we were had at least 2 less players on our team the entire match. Great times! 😒
Yeah i get some of those games. I dont get it. MW2 wasnt that bad. why its like this with MW3 ?

The game it self, the maps, the guns. are amazing. The only thing that sucks is that yeah, sometimes you play with people on PC that makes you wonder how many aim bots apps he is using.

Rust is even worse.

PSYGN

i remember this and youre right
it started right on this
Yeah, I noticed that the link I posted was for one of Condrey's recent tweets, but SBMM was talked about in Condrey's "fireside chat" thing he had during AW's run.

Found it - this was in 2015 https://www.sledgehammergames.com/b...ngreverse-boostingtrick-shotting-and-the-like

Here's how SBMM felt like for me:
  • Advanced Warfare (Sledgehammer) <- They cranked SBMM to 11
  • Black Ops 3 (Treyarch) <- very little SBMM in comparison to AW, a little more than Ghosts.
  • Infinite Warfare (Infinity Ward) <- same as above
  • WWII (Sledgehammer) <- A little less than AW, but still higher than the other devs had it
  • Black Ops 4 (Treyarch) <- WWII levels of SBMM
  • Modern Warfare (Infinity Ward) <- Felt closer to AW levels of SBMM (but maybe because the game design was very against rushing without having to do canceling all the time)
Then I moved onto Apex Legends.

Then I bought MW3 and it feels like the SBMM still feels pretty heavy.

Sledgehammer being the new kids on the CoD block were probably forced by Activision to experiment with SBMM.

Last edited:
It's all bullshit from them because we all know that somehow the SBMM is setup to generate as many microtransactions as possible from the user base and if they actually show true data they'll be exposed.

Top Bottom