• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bring Back High-End Polycarbonate Phones!

Dural

Am I the only one that hates the current trend of glass backed phones? Why do I want an additional piece of glass on my phone that I have to worry about cracking? Why hasn't anyone tried to replicate the polycarbonate Lumia phones? They looked great and were durable, you could go without a case and not have to worry about breaking the damn thing. No reception issues with it either.

URiOLh3.jpg

I love the design of the 920.

Qt1F1QT.jpg

Look how pretty the glass back is, now hurry and cover it up so it doesn't break!

Fox Mulder

I haven’t used a case on my iPhone XS and it’s been fine. Maybe I just live dangerously, but I hate cases. I only used them with my old android phone because I had an extended battery.

JimiNutz

Banned
I loved the design of the 920.
Glass maybe looks a bit more 'premium' but the 920 still felt awesome in your hand and was way sturdier.

People end up sticking their glass phones in plastic cases anyway and most never even see or feel the glass again once it's gone in the case.

Ulysses 31

I liked the glass back of my iPhones but I'm always afraid to get scratches on it and they're fingerprint magnets. >.>

That said, I like the metal backside of my ROG Phone II with all the lights :lollipop_grinning:

iu

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I'm with you, OP. I agree. While my V40 is tough, I'm not chancing it without my case.

But it feels GREAT without the case when I'm home. I miss having tough phones like when I was on MetroPCS (my phones never cracked or broke if they fell... No matter from 2 stories or off a car)

highrider

Banned
I don't put a case on my phone. Never have. You don't have to either.. just don't drop it. I say that as someone who takes my phone mountain biking, hiking, and skiing.

Perhaps you should look in to an NFL receiver consultant/motivational speaker position. I’m sure they would be intrigued by your mystical ability to not drop stuff, and who wouldn’t be!?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Polycarbonate is the type of plastic that contains BPA

So no thanks, don’t want to increase my cancer risk
You are already getting radiation from your phone since you always have it in your pocket. RIP Testicles.

Rockondevil

I love the look and feel so much more of glass and metals however the practicality of plastic was always a great thing too.
Hopefully we can get unbreakable glass in my lifetime.

Last edited:
Not sure I can speak on polycarbonate but I’m not feeling glass at all. Kinda hate it if I’m being honest.

(my dream iPhone is 11 Pro Max size, iPhone 5/5S chassis)

Top Bottom