• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boston Dynamics: The Spot Boygroup is dancing again

ItsGreat

I want to see practical uses! I don't understand why they'd waste their time programming this dancing shit.

Although, if dancing would have extended the Apollo moon missions through the seventies....

Those test pilot boys would.have loved it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I want to see practical uses! I don't understand why they'd waste their time programming this dancing shit.

Although, if dancing would have extended the Apollo moon missions through the seventies....

A lot of this weird shit IMO is just a way to market their company as high tech even though the practical use is probably zero.

It's like Toyota or Honda (I forget) marketing that white robot which could walk up and down stairs. Maybe they are trying to sell them to millionaires, but it looks stupid.

Car shows are the same. Some crazy concept car which looks like belongs on Mars is made by some special team to get attention, yet no cars past, present or future will come close to looking like it. But it did it's job. It got people talking, in which it might lead to Camry sales.

Pagusas

Elden Member

marketing brings notice, which brings investors and money. This “dancing shit” as you call it is an amazing way to creatively show their progress without resorting to the typical boring ass shit that’s expected and gets ignored.

This stuff is needed to make these programs possible.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
marketing brings notice, which brings investors and money. This “dancing shit” as you call it is an amazing way to creatively show their progress without resorting to the typical boring ass shit that’s expected and gets ignored.

This stuff is needed to make these programs possible.
It's probably because there's no practical uses to promote. In other words, cool concept but zero value right now.

If a company sells tractors and cranes, they dont need to make them do an orchestrated dance off. They'll just show them plowing or lifting heavy stuff to prove it's worth buying or leasing.

If SAP wants to promote to giant companies their software program that does sales and shipments tracking, they arent going o make a video game demo to get attention. They'll just get sales reps to partner with companies to go over data and streamline it so everything works. And if it looks worth it, they implement the software over a few years of testing.

Last edited:
Kpop has invaded and degraded even this?

Web Slinger Trash GIF by Leroy Patterson

DrNeroCF

I wonder if stuff like this could cause conflict with Disney patents for performing animatronics.

Sounds too much like the type of bizarre patent lawsuits that pop up from time to time.

E-Cat

These don't impress me anymore, the robots probably had preprogrammed moves and HD mapped the terrain ahead of time.

Keihart

These don't impress me anymore, the robots probably had preprogrammed moves and HD mapped the terrain ahead of time.
That's not how Spot works

Edit: if you were referring to Atlas here is a video:

if you were referring to Spot, here is a video about it too:

Last edited:
Top Bottom