• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth Wukong features over 80 Unique Bosses

Draugoth

Gold Member
GOBiwHfXkAEpDOf

Pre Orders for the game will open on June 7

- The game will have NG+ at launch - Multiple endings
- Around 160+ enemy types
- 80+ Bosses
- The game is slightly easier than soulsborne games

Source

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Bosses are also my least favorite part of souls games so that's 80 chances to piss me off or miss the difficulty balancing.

I'm really interested in the art design and setting but this is likely waiting for a price cut for me. For every Lies of P that I did enjoy, there's about 10 souls clones that I hated.

My guess is 81 bosses. In originally story, they encountered 81 adventures. Not every adventures involving with demon/monster but Chinese like that number.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Well, at this point we can forget about this game being just a boss rush game, aren't we? But over 80 unique bosses? Get the fuck outa here, it's in-fuckin'-possible.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

This game looks so freakin amazing! Please be as good as it looks!!
Definitly not pre-ordering (never do), but day 1 on Steam unless its a trainwreck.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Until I see actual, live gameplay of a human being playing this game, and get some independent feedback, I'm still going with idea that this thing is bullshit.
Didn't they had a free demo during an event and people actually played the game?

I think there is a lot of footage already, hellblade 2 is out on a day and there is way less gameplay for that one.

Aenima

One of my most anticipated games, but gonna wait to see how it runs on consoles. Have a feeling this game will only run well on PC.

Stafford

I was worried it would mostly have just boss fights, but it seems that isn't the case. Hope for some really cool level design.

Last edited:
My only worry is that this will be boss fight : The Game. Hopefully there will nice locations with normal enemies, ala any Soulslike game. But so far we mostly see big boss fights. Right?
Yes but they're showing us key scenes of the game in a curated form, of what they want us to see. The actual moment-to-moment gameplay loop will remain a mystery til we learn more.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The monke game keeps looking better and better, can't wait to try this one out.

Stafford

Yes but they're showing us key scenes of the game in a curated form, of what they want us to see. The actual moment-to-moment gameplay loop will remain a mystery til we learn more.

With that many enemy types I am hoping for some nice locations to explore and with enough time between bosses.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Those giants throwing their hats look interesting. A lot of the bosses from the trailers look good. Let’s hope they nail it.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
What!? Bosses are the best parts.
I like the exploration and chances to use stealth or creative attack plans. Part of why I think Demon's Souls is the best one. That one also de-emphasizes sweaty bosses and instead has more puzzle / creative ones. I like bosses in action games, but I've never thought the Souls combat system is good enough to truly push it like they do in the later games. It's more suited to slower exploration imho.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I like the exploration and chances to use stealth or creative attack plans. Part of why I think Demon's Souls is the best one. That one also de-emphasizes sweaty bosses and instead has more puzzle / creative ones. I like bosses in action games, but I've never thought the Souls combat system is good enough to truly push it like they do in the later games. It's more suited to slower exploration imho.
I highly degree I loved combat in FROM games and they make amazing boss that compliments the combat.

You know what I meant. Demos showed at cons rarely represent the game.
Based on what happened with Cyberpunk and Anthem I agree, but man you are doubling down really hard on your 'we haven't seen enough' take lol.

I'm just going to chalk it up to them wanting to leave an air of mystery/surprise to the game and hope for the best. I'm more curious if they're trying to make this a competitor to Sekiro or Elden Ring, and by that I mean with how the areas themselves are designed.

Ah I think I see how you're picturing this game now. You feel it might be another 'The Day Before' situation?

Exactly.

EDIT: another example was Atomic Heart and while it certainly did not look as good as they marketed, visually, no raytracing, blablabla, it did turn out to be good and I had below 0 hopes for it as well and I thought it was fake for like up until rls day.

Last edited:
Exactly.

EDIT: another example was Atomic Heart and while it certainly did not look as good as they marketed, visually, no raytracing, blablabla, it did turn out to be good and I had below 0 hopes for it as well and I thought it was fake for like up until rls day.
To be fair to both situations, The Day Before had only one small slice of a gameplay demo shown and they went radio silent for a long time until the other demo which was an obvious huge downgrade.

Wukong on the other hand has had consistency in graphics and gameplay since the second showing, and they have shown more and more lately in large gameplay increments(especially recently since it was shown off at a showcase in another country). It would be an immense waste of time to show this much for it all to be smoke and mirrors. This is at least an hour plus of gameplay footage. That's quite a lot of footage to completely make up.

At this point, what could be the smoke and mirrors here would be the game's length and structure. We've only seen a handful of biomes and my one worry is that this is a linear narrative experience being touted as something much grander than it is. I can't quite remember, but there was a game not long ago that appeared to be huge and open but you were still simply running down a linear path with just pretty environments to your left and right with no items/no level design/no exploration/etc. That would be the disappointment for me, or at least it would set my expectations that this is just a game about fighting enemies and nothing else.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
You know what I meant. Demos showed at cons rarely represent the game.

Better but I will still remain in team "doubt". I will be glad to be proven wrong at launch, but I know when somethings too good to be true.
You're just looking for reasons for it to fail so you can say I was right? What we have seen looks leagues better than some of the games in this genre and most of these hands ons were a year ago, game has been polished by now most likely. will it have some issues 100% im sure it will so we need to see how they respond to that. However im really looking forward to it looks like a smaller version of Elden ring with a true story component from what we have seen being based on a novel journey to the west.

a 40 Hour Elden Ring - Dark Souls game would be a welcome addition to the genre IMHO. Especially with different character playthroughs

Top Bottom