• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Infinite was a terrible sequel to Bioshock

Can't go on, sorry.

Sorry, that was supposed to be more self-depcrecating than it came out. I rather like twee indie bullshit with minimal production values and middling execution. Undertale's one of my favorite games of last year!

Moff

bioshock was already a terrible sequel to system shock, I just enjoyed it for what it was, dumbdowned gameplay in an interesting setting, and bioshock infinite was the same, I actually liked it, but I won't play it ever again.

I have never been so enthralled by any other game like those first 20 minutes in infinite. Too bad as a "game" it came out pretty average. I still enjoyed it though.

Oreoleo

I don't think I heard anyone really praise 2 much until Infinite came out. Having not played it, is there some reason for this or did I just overlook it's praise until after the third game hit?

Bioshock 2 has the best FPS mechanics of any game in the franchise. If you could retrofit them back into Bioshock 1 it would be a damn near perfect game.

Opinions like assholes, etc...

I loved it.

More than the original in fact. Mainly cause of the scary atmosphere and occasional jump scares (damn splicers..) but both are excellent games.

Lingitiz

Yeah it totally dumped all of the RPG mechanics, exploration, and hub design of Bioshock (which was already dumbed down from the GOAT System Shock 2) in favor of being a linear arena shooter with not a lot variety. Such a shame. I still enjoyed the game though.

clav

I disagree. They're both great games, and you don't have to play either one of them in sequential order to enjoy them.

Pacing of Bioshock 1 fell apart after the twist. When you look back at the game you realize it's a bunch of fetch questing with you shooting at a bunch of mangled humanoid creatures.

If you didn't find all the easter eggs/references in Infinite, then you haven't recognized all the love + efforts in it. Audio director/producer had a lot of fun with this game.

Here's a video: https://youtu.be/ObNh8Zr6gsc

Spoilers.

-------------

Criticism for why is the game a shooter is valid. Excitement/interest/motivation was learning about the characters + voice acting + music lore + atmosphere.

However, I had a great time playing it. One of the few games I completed in two sittings.

Ethelwulf

I never played the original BioShock so I can't say much. I loved b2 and liked infinite. Setting and gunplay was really really fun.

...but the ideas? The intellectual angle? The story? They're both highly shallow takes on philosophy. All the people who railed on Infinite for not following through on the themes of slavery or wealth inequality.... Yet Bio1 wasn't exactly a deep thinker about Ayn Rand. It's essentially "what if people did whatever they wanted?"... and the answer is that they became monsters for you to target practice. Deep.

I agree with this. It's highly amusing for people to be enamored by the philosophical trappings of one game and then completely shit on the other. They really weren't that far apart in quality.

I guess this is just a part of the cycle for these games. Many people considered Bioshock to be vastly inferior to System Shock when it came out. Now you have people who consider Infinite to be inferior to Bioshock. I'm sure when/if a new one comes out, people will compare that unfavorably to Infinite.

Are the people who revere Bioshock and shit on Bioshock Infinite all people who played them 6 years apart upon each release? It's clearly a little bit of nostalgic reverence, and people growing up a bit, that causes them to trash Bioshock Infinite so gleefully while praising Bio 1 as some godsend.

Anyone else played them for the first time back to back and found them to be very similar in quality? Bio1 is better. There is more of an open world back-and-forth, and the gunplay is superior....

...but the ideas? The intellectual angle? The story? They're both highly shallow takes on philosophy. All the people who railed on Infinite for not following through on the themes of slavery or wealth inequality.... Yet Bio1 wasn't exactly a deep thinker about Ayn Rand. It's essentially "what if people did whatever they wanted?"... and the answer is that they became monsters for you to target practice. Deep.

You're right that the first Bioshock wasn't exactly deep. But at least Bioshock 1's story formed a pretty cohesive whole and just tried to take on one philosophical topic. Infinite is about slavery and inequality, but then it ignores that and is about revolutions going bad. (I guess?) And then it ignores all that stuff and is about fate, maybe? Then it just goes off and gets into a bunch of sci-fi clichés about multiple universes that have been done a hundred times before. The story is just all over the place.

I'm currently playing through it for the first time on my new PC, but man is the social commentary heavy handed... like almost System of a Down levels of heavy handed.

Like when you read a first semester paper about any complex subject matter, or MGS trying to tackle politics and ethics kind of heavy handed. Like "look we're deep, noticed how deep we are, did we mention that we have underlying themes in this game? No, well let us beat you over the head with it some more... still not noticed? Let's throw in some more vignettes that have the subtlety of a ten ton tanker...

I mean I get it, you have to be blunt in such a format, but the game commits the cardinal sin of games by showing not doing. Especially in such a game you could make it much more interactive, instead of just doing semi interactive cutscenes.

Like the stuff where Elizabeth is throwing coins or ammo at you... that mechanic actually helps bind you into the game world, but then you come across NPCs and you just know that your presence and their presence is absolutely in no connection to one another. It's just basic window dressing. They have nothing to say or do, and no matter what you do, the world around you won't change...
a pitty since the game could explore this much better instead of just throwing waves of enemies at you that feel like the least interesting cannon fodder ever.

In the original Bioshock the Splicers were actually pityful creatures, every encounter felt like you killed a person instead of just another soldier. This is further expanded later when you learn who the Big Daddies are, the ultimate perversion of the splicers concept, but in Infinite... yeah... none of the grunts or even bosses has anything to contribute to make the games concepts fleshed out.

Maybe I'll change my mind once I finish the game, but I doubt it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
You're right that the first Bioshock wasn't exactly deep. But at least Bioshock 1's story formed a pretty cohesive whole and just tried to take on one philosophical topic. Infinite is about slavery and inequality, but then it ignores that and is about revolutions going bad. (I guess?) And then it ignores all that stuff and is about fate, maybe? Then it just goes off and gets into a bunch of sci-fi clichés about multiple universes that have been done a hundred times before. The story is just all over the place.

I can see that. It seemed that Infinite was rushed into a shippable linear game experience in the late stages of development hell... and a lot of complex story themes were probably truncated and given mere lip service. I guess I kind of liked the way that it devolved into a fairytale Doctor Who episode at the end, but then again I wasn't expecting this roller coaster to be "smart".

Bio1 survives because it hits the same note over and over "all the citizens of Rapture lived without ethical limits", so nothing about the theme feels "missing".

jimboton

The original Bioshock was really something special, something that I'm not sure that could be greenlit in today's market, at least at the AAA level. "First person shooter deconstructing Ayn Rand" sounds like the kind of twee indie bullshit that I'd expect to see with minimal production values and middling execution for twenty bucks on Steam these days. Not something one of the largest publishers in the world would throw its weight behind.

Why not? It was a game about spending some hours shooting stuff & blowing shit up in cool alternate 50's underwater environments while being ridiculously over powered, following a map marker all the time and not even having to worry about doing the above well since death only meant respawning a few meters away... sounds like quintessential modern AAA to me. It was nothing but System Shock dumbed down. Was Infinite even dumber? maybe.. but not by much.

'Deconstructing Ayn Rand', come on. 99% of people who bought it didn't care who Ayn Rand was, and still didn't after finishing the game.

Yeah it totally dumped all of the RPG mechanics, exploration, and hub design of Bioshock (which was already dumbed down from the GOAT System Shock 2) in favor of being a linear arena shooter with not a lot variety. Such a shame. I still enjoyed the game though.

I don't remember Bioshock 1 having any RPG mechanics? I finished it multiple times.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Why not? It was a game about spending some hours shooting stuff & blowing shit up in cool alternate 50's underwater environments while being ridiculously over powered, following a map marker all the time and not even having to worry about doing the above well since death only meant respawning a few meters away... sounds like quintessential modern AAA to me. It was nothing but System Shock dumbed down. Was Infinite even dumber? maybe.. but not by much.

'Deconstructing Ayn Rand', come on. 99% of people who bought it didn't care who Ayn Rand was, and still didn't after finishing the game.

Yeah the whole "not greenlit today" really raises my eyebrows.

The core of this industry is shooter games with some high concept "smart" premise layered on top to justify the shooting gallery. It's a generically AAA concept.

Despite coming out in 2007, Bio1 came out at the dawn of the modern AAA game scene we are currently in. It certainly did not belong to a previous era of gaming... it pioneered the mainstream of today.

Bioshock was a terrible successor to System Shock. System Shock was a masterpiece.
Bioshock 2 was a terrible sequel to Bioshock. Bioshock was was a masterpiece.
Bioshock Infinite was a terrible sequel to Bioshock 2. Bioshock 2 was was a masterpiece.
Bioshock 4.....

Seriously though, Bioshock Infinite wasn't a bad sequel. It might not have hit the same notes as the first game but it tried something different, had some brilliant moments & certainly wasn't terrible, it also looked fantastic, especially for the hardware it was running on.

You think about bioshock infinite the way I thought about bioshock 1. Brain dead shooter vs brain deadier shooter. It is barely worth thinking about.

It is the way of the gaming world. Halo ruined shooters, but now Halo fans worry about call of duty. Sunrise, sunset.

In a few years bioshock infinite fans will bemoan how games have been dumbed down and are now boring and linear experiences.

Then we'll all get together and drink the night away. We will not play games.

Bioshock infinite was easily the most disappointing game I've ever played because I still can't think of a thing that it did well. The concept was strong but nothing was actually done with the concept.

spiderferi

No, It was not.

GAF needs to chill a bit about hating , it's becoming like the DOTA community, many hate posts with no arguments. They say bioshock sucks ass because SS2 was masterpiece, come the fuck on. maybe SS2 was one of the best games of all time (which was) but it doesn't mean that Bioshock 1 sucks.

Then someone comes and says Bioshock 2 was the best and says that as a fact, which is not , it's like saying DAII was better than origins.

illm

Neo Member
I'm thinking the opposite; Bioshock was a terrible prequel to Bioshock Infinite.

See, I came from the other direction; played the original Bioshock for 10 minutes once, then never Bioshock 2, then finally Infinite after putting it off for some time. Absolutely loved it. Wanted to play the original game really bad, now with a new mindset, but ended up not liking the horror approach at all and decided that Infinite was the only one for me.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
I will say what I always said:

It's got the best story of any Bioshock game (one of the best stories in a game overall, even), and it looks beauuuuutiful, but the gameplay sucks ass, because the game shouldn't have been an FPS in the first place.
Should've been an Action-Adventure or Point & Click.

Nailed the point! It really should've been either a Telltale-style adventure (even a normal Point & Click) or a third person adventure like Enslaved.
I would've appreciated it more if it was these two genres.

I really enjoyed both, though the Skyrails in Infinite were an annoyance to me.

As far as depth goes, I think both allude to things that are merely played with, rather than being truly cohesive in terms of mechanics being driven by the narrative themes. I remember an interview with Ken Levine where he was very open about how he liked to explore certain ideas, but that his knowledge was only surface deep, having been introduced to certain things via popular culture and the like.

The original had issues - the choice whether to save Little Sisters had no real bearing, no penalty for death etc - that didn't tie in with the Rand theme well, but I suspect the flies in the ointment of Infinite are just fresher in the memory, and it lacked an environment as atmospheric as Rapture.

I had fun with both.

Bioshocker

I don't agree with OP at all. BioShock Infinite was an amazing game. Great story, incredible environments, formidable art style and I though the battle was way better than in the first BioShock.

Game of 2013 for me (before I played The Last of Us).

I thought Bioshock Infinite was a very mediocre game with great art direction. The gameplay felt on a level with Quake 2, just hopelessly outdated and boring. That said, I also never liked the original Bioshock, so I might have never been their target audience.

III-V

I really enjoyed this game, although I feel like it never lived up to it's potential or original vision. I was really happy with the narrative, art direction and themes.

I will play again when it drops remastered on PS4.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Bioshock Infinite was an amazing sequel to Bioshock.

Fixed all of the pacing issues of the original, with a much stronger finish.

The story was phenomenal, the world, atmosphere, etc was fantastic

Though I prefer Rapture and Ryan, Infinite was as close to catching lightening in a bottle the second time as anyone could realistically hope for.

I feel like everyone that says infinite has bad gameplay has no clue how to mess with vigoda and gear combos. You can play huge chunks without firing a shot, just being a flaming pinball of death. You have that ability to ride around roller coster like tracks for amazing maneuverability. I wish most FPSs offered that level of depth to the combat.

Bioshock infinite is an amazing game with great caharacters and story telling, dlc included.
And even if the fighting segments are not its game forte, I found them really fun (apart from the final boss "wave").
Also the cartoony graphics are beautiful and still stand to this day (played the dlc just a few months back).
Sorry you didnt like it OP.

Dont miss next month another thrilling episode of the acclaimed "why I think bioshock inifinite ruined everything!" Only on NeoGAF™

Jarnet87

Sounds like someone didn't play Bioshock 2.

Think you are in the minority here on this one. A lot of people like to say Bioshock 2 had better gameplay, but haven't heard many say the story is better then the first game. I disagree on both, the gameplay changes in 2 only serve to draw out the game and make combat more mind numbing. Big Sisters, harvesting extra adam,the research points etc. Bioshock is a great game with terrible shooting IMO. I found myself just hitting everything with a wrench and the health regain power just to power through enemies. Bioshock 2 doesn't have nearly as engaging a story or pacing so getting through the crap combat had no payoff. Infinite at least had a cool story and new environment.

16BitNova

For me both Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite were extremely memorable. Great Setting, great characters, fun gameplay, and a fantastic setting. I feel this game fell victim to "overhype". The launch delay didn't helo either. Regardless, I definitely don't think it's, terrible, as OP says. Also, the story DLC was awesome. I think the Bioshock series has some of the best story DLC in the business.

MaKTaiL

Wow, lots of hate in this thread. I think Bioshock Infinite was one of the best games we had this decade. The story, the themes, the settings and the characters were really well thought out. And the ending, no words to describe it.

Wow, lots of hate in this thread. I think Bioshock Infinite was one of the best games we had this decade. The story, the themes, the settings and the characters were really well thought out. And the ending, no words to describe it.

Well, a lot of the complaints about the game are about the gameplay.

pakkit

Banned
The gameplay was underwhelming. Especially as a Shock game.

The story, the setting, the amount of subtext? Top notch production.

I think that about settles the two camps. For fans of FPA, like myself, Bioshock Infinite was a beautiful merger of walking sims and big budget bombast. For people who preferred the systemic complexity of previous Irrational outings, Infinite felt like a betrayal.

Still, love it, warts and all.

UberLevi

I loved the game, but I tend to like a lot of things GAF shits on, so maybe I'm just easily amused. I liked the story, the setting, the gameplay, and the ending was excellent.

Banned
I agree with you. It wasn't a bad game, but to didn't live up to expectations of what a Bioshock sequel should be.

Jawmuncher

I'm not the biggest Bioshock fan despite playing them all but I will say infinite to me was a dissapointment. I loved the setting but don't think the game did enough with it. Aside from that I was really disinterested in the story. I can see why others like it though.

Guess Who

Banned
Are the people who revere Bioshock and shit on Bioshock Infinite all people who played them 6 years apart upon each release? It's clearly a little bit of nostalgic reverence, and people growing up a bit, that causes them to trash Bioshock Infinite so gleefully while praising Bio 1 as some godsend.

Anyone else played them for the first time back to back and found them to be very similar in quality? Bio1 is better. There is more of an open world back-and-forth, and the gunplay is superior....

Yeah, all the "intellectual" elements of Bioshock have always been pure window dressing, much to its detriment. Neither Bioshock nor Infinite actually say anything interesting about their subject matter.

AgeEighty

Here we go with this "BioShock 2 was the best one" shit again. GAF, sometimes your contrarian streaks of revisionist history are disappointing.

I was never that impressed with Bioshock, I had more fun with Bioshock 2 and Infinite is my favorite. However the two weapon limit in infinite was shit

Top Bottom