• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biomutant is 12-15 hours for 'rushed' main story only

SantaC

"Our estimation for a "rushed" run-through of Biomutant is at about 12-15 hours. This means: focus on the main story, skip most dialogues, don't go wandering off for exploration and ignore sidequests."

Sounds like the right choice. There is nothing worse than an open world game that stuffs the main story full of filler and fluff to drag out the experience. Your game is already open world, fill the world with fun things to do and have the main story be something we can come back to for a unique experience and some good story. If your story is a slog then I'm not gonna bother slogging through the open world stuff too. I'm just finishing days gone and it suffers from this problem badly.

NeilH1982

Banned
Good. I never wanted it to be 100 hour epic. A shorter story could lead to more experimentation in builds on subsequent playthroughs. I liked Fallout 4, but I'm never going to play those for 100+ hours again. This game will most definitely get at least a couple of playthroughs

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I dunno why you would market it as this... like from the sounds of it your not really playing the game to get it in 15 hours... in many ways I guess Mass Effect could be described as that.

Il be honest I was turned off biomutent because it came across as looking low quality, but now I think il get it day one and give these guys a chance.

If RE8 hadn’t just come out I may have considered getting this day 1 to support it, but for now it’s gonna have to wait for a sale. Hopefully it’s good I like the creativity.

*Nightwing

Loving how this game is looking more and more the more info that trickles out. Might actually replay it which I have never done on an open world game that’s ridiculously long

Fbh

Good.
The worst thing these lower budget RPGs can do is stretching themselves thin by aiming for some 30+ hours main story.

DAHGAMING

Sounds good to me, I dont get as much time to play games now days, I watch the cutscenes, will do the story and some side quests at least so im sure il still get 20hrs or so.

People seem way too positive and hyped about this while I'm seeing nothing good and I'm not talking about the length which is fine. I am highly doubtful that such a small team managed to make the world interesting to explore. I am more than certain this will be a janky mess with empty but visually cool looking biomes. The factions things and whatnot they promised will not be as deep as some would think either. I would lower my expectations for this game if I were you.

Labadal

15 sounds good to me. Add 15-25 hours of side content/exploration/collectathon, and I'm good.
(Assuming the game is good.)

Miles708

People seem way too positive and hyped about this while I'm seeing nothing good and I'm not talking about the length which is fine. I am highly doubtful that such a small team managed to make the world interesting to explore. I am more than certain this will be a janky mess with empty but visually cool looking biomes. The factions things and whatnot they promised will not be as deep as some would think either. I would lower my expectations for this game if I were you.
The lead is the guy responsible for the Just Cause games. Your doubts are reasonable but he knows how to do open worlds.

Now if he succeeded in practice, that's another question.

The lead is the guy responsible for the Just Cause games. Your doubts are reasonable but he knows how to do open worlds.

Now if he succeeded in practice, that's another question.

just cause is the example you give on how to not make open world games. They're filled with fluff and copya/pasted content that feels pushed out by an AI generator.

The way i see this game, we should hope it manages to be a pretty cool and even 70/100 game. It almost surely wont be something extraordinary, but i hope it wont be some trash you delete after one hour. Just a nice, enjoyable game to get you a bit of gametime in these barren months ahead. We wont have almost anything until september

Miles708

just cause is the example you give on how to not make open world games. They're filled with fluff and copya/pasted content that feels pushed out by an AI generator.

The way i see this game, we should hope it manages to be a pretty cool and even 70/100 game. It almost surely wont be something extraordinary, but i hope it wont be some trash you delete after one hour. Just a nice, enjoyable game to get you a bit of gametime in these barren months ahead. We wont have almost anything until september

Yes, the risk is there . On the other hand, Just Cause focused on other things rather than world building, so it's really a matter of how they can integrate their existing know-how with a world design that encourages exploration.

I want to be optimistic for once.

Hugare

Wasnt on my radar, but that Gameinformer gameplay video looked so good.

Combat is so, so fluid. Huge variety of movements.

Looks like Mad Max: open world game with some very competent gameplay that I'll enjoy playing after buying at a discount later on.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
15 hours for the main story only and skipping dialogue isn't all that short, depending on the quality, quantity of side missions and exploration. The main stories in the Fallout and Elder Scrolls games isn't much longer than that but I never put in less than 200 hours in those games. I doubt this game will have the depth of Bethesda games secondary stuff, but hopefully it will have something better than games like FFXV's stupid FedEx only side quests.

I've been on the fence with this game but the more I see and hear about it, the more I'm getting excited.

GymWolf

tenor.gif

*Nightwing

“Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biomutant “ said:
The story is mission-based and mission lines are character-based. Certain characters will provide the player quest lines that are emanating from their area. The more the player interacts with this character, the wider the arc of that specific area becomes.

Biomutant also features a Karma system for non-playable characters and a companion system for recruiting allies for fighting and travelling alongside the player.
I always got the impression form all I’ve seen and read on it is more open world like KOTOR, in a more linear storytelling fashion but pick and choose where to go when, than say like Skyrim that the gameplay boils down to explore this huge detailed open world however you want in any order you want.
Completely agree if you are expecting the latter you are in for a huge letdown.
I’m expecting it to be fun gameplay with loot grinding/customization and a decent fun story with a world and character look I like. And it’s a perfect length to give it a second go with a different character class

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
'playing hours is irrelevant, all that matters if the game is satisfying or not. You can spend 100 hours or 8 hours but if the game doesn't give you satisfaction in the end then how much you spend playing wouldn't really matter.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
"Our estimation for a "rushed" run-through of Biomutant is at about 12-15 hours. This means: focus on the main story, skip most dialogues, don't go wandering off for exploration and ignore sidequests."

Seems like a decent length. I think I might spend around ~50 hours at least in that wonderful world.

CitizenZ

Banned
the Witcher 3 on normal, playing only the main missions, only takes around 25 hrs. IF you do everything its in excess of 200+

LMJ

As someone who intended to scour every inch of this awesome world (most likely in a hand car) this news is most exciting, hoping it's full of variety and great characters

Giant evil hamsterball is cool too
p0h4LP2.jpg

Pagusas

Elden Member
Weird because I watched some gameplay as well and literally had the complete opposite opinion. Looks beautiful and fun. Hmm.

Not surprising, we likely just value different things. when I saw the first "landscape tour' videos I was excited thinking it was going to center around exploration and be more of a interactive/role play world. Now I see that its just another TPS, and that saddened me, I'm bored to death of run and guns/Just Causes type games. I was hoping it would be more of a Zelda BotW mixed with Skyrim with the heart of a studio Ghibli film. I guess what I'm saying is I'm quickly losing interest in combat being the driving gameplay mechanic of all open world games, I was hoping this would be less combat and more exploration/crafting/discovery/story driven.

Last edited:

gundalf

That sounds good to me, love sub 20 hour experiences, although I could see myself spending 30 hours with some chill exploring here and there.

Larxia

I don't see an issue with this, I'm glad this game is not too damn long, not many of us have the time to sit for more than that.
I really, really struggle to understand this thinking.

I see comments like this quite often, but I don't actually understand the logic in that. I understand not wanting every single game being as long as something like The Witcher 3 I guess if you want to vary experiences, but having a problem with a game being something like, let's say 30 or 40 hours, is really weird to me.

You say "not many of us have the time to sit for more than that", okay, but what does this mean exactly? Aren't you going to actually play something else after this? So you do have time to play more than 15 hours of a game, you just don't want to dedicate "too much "time to a specific game. It's really not a matter of "not having enough time", it's a matter of not being able to commit to a specific thing I think, either because you get bored quite quickly by games, or because you're part of the "hype" people who want to play every single new games that come out just to be there on time.

I don't say this to attack you, but I just read this super often and it doesn't make much sense in my opinion. I don't see why, if you really like a game (of course if it's boring that's another story), you would have a problem with it being a bit "long". I'd rather play fewer games but truly enjoy them and have great experiences, rather than playing a ton but forgettable things that I just rushed in 10 hours, just to move to the next thing right away over and over.

It sometimes feel like people want to play games just to be done with them.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

I really, really struggle to understand this thinking.

I see comments like this quite often, but I don't actually understand the logic in that. I understand not wanting every single game being as long as something like The Witcher 3 I guess if you want to vary experiences, but having a problem with a game being something like, let's say 30 or 40 hours, is really weird to me.

You say "not many of us have the time to sit for more than that", okay, but what does this mean exactly? Aren't you going to actually play something else after this? So you do have time to play more than 15 hours of a game, you just don't want to dedicate "too much "time to a specific game. It's really not a matter of "not having enough time", it's a matter of not being able to commit to a specific thing I think, either because you get bored quite quickly by games, or because you're part of the "hype" people who want to play every single new games that come out just to be there on time.

I don't say this to attack you, but I just read this super often and it doesn't make much sense in my opinion. I don't see why, if you really like a game (of course if it's boring that's another story), you would have a problem with it being a bit "long". I'd rather play fewer games but truly enjoy them and have great experiences, rather than playing a ton but forgettable things that I just rushed in 10 hours, just to move to the next thing right away over and over.

It sometimes feel like people want to play games just to be done with them.
I think it's more to do with the fact that 99% of games that try go too long for the genre.. are copy and paste and full of filler. For examples.. most open world games.

Top Bottom