• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda Announces Brink From Splash Damage, First Trailer, Deano Returns, GAF Cheers

Alucrid

Banned
Why can't I hear the word Brink without thinking of that damn in-line skater movie from Disney channel. Damn you childhood.

I'm extremely impressed. This is probably the most refreshing experience with the FPS genre since Mass Effect/Bioshock. The whole "smart button" mechanism seems to allow tons of fluidity, and the look of the world, and characters is way more fun like TF. Can't wait to see the trailer.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
gofreak said:
For some reason this is my first time seeing this game. Those shots look really hot...nice style too!

It's my first time, but I don't understand why GAF is cheering. :(

Rad-

Well if you guys want something, there's always twitter impressions ( :lol ):

#Brink looks amazing. Features SMART movement that helps make moving over objects easy. Kind of like a mirrors edge mode.

#Brink demo rocks! The S.M.A.R.T. movement system is amazingz

wow #brink

7 Player campaign coop mode, Awesome

Edit: looks like that's 8 player co-op, it's an error. Game comes out next fall.

2real4tv

Wow this look better than RAGE although half the framerate. Also 4xAA and 720p for both platforms is awesome. I hope they hit their target.

WHOAguitarninja said:
According to quake-live tv, there is no recording during the brink demo.

Freaking bullshit. Public demo my ass.
They probably want to release a direct-feed video - I think they'd rather people's impressions were made from a nice source rather than some guy's camera.

I would like nothing more than to see Splash Damage recapture the genius that was Wolf:ET, but these screens just scream "generic" to me. :\

TouchMyBox said:
I would like nothing more than to see Splash Damage recapture the genius that was Wolf:ET, but these screens just scream "generic" to me. :\
eh. they already DID recapture that genius. it was called Quake Wars and it was great... just not enough players cause they aimed a bit too high with the tech specs.

how could they compete with the free Wolf:ET that ran on anything? they couldn't. doesn't make Wolf:ET the better game though, cause it's not.

SamBishop

Banned
Spider_Jerusalem said:
No gameplay at Quakecon? I'll see it at Cologne, but I hoped to see some gameplay from quakecon...

You, sir, are in for a treat. This, along with Scribblenauts, was the game at E3 that people most mentioned when I asked what I should see in the very limited free time I had during the show. So glad to see Deano's back in the limelight. That man is in very, very good company.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I saw the 30 minute E3 demo shown to press only. The game looks beautiful. HEAVILY rips off Mirror's Edge with the movement, but the gameplay itself seem like a very upgraded version of Enemy Territory. Framerate was quite low when I saw it, but I am sure that's being rectified (maybe Quakecon build is a lot smoother).

But the Mirror's Edge ripoff in movements really caught me off guard. You can run to gain momentum to jump over fences quicker, slide after high falls, slide under objects. You see your arms when you climb up a ledge.

I'm very excited about this game. The weapons look beautiful, pretty much as good as Killzone 2's weapons.

Anyway I am sure there will be videos soon.

agaru

Cam videos from QuakCon presentation, no gameplay but it shows the character customization features:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7nEESn-OtE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBncvkkbeq0

And here are impressions on the gameplay demo by the same guy who recorded the videos above:
QuakeCon: Brink Presentation

August 14, 2009 By: Adam Blue Category: Impressions

I wasn’t really hyped about Brink before, but the presentation here at QuakeCon won me over. They asked for no video of the gameplay, but I did get some video about the leveling and customizing system that I will be uploading later today.

As for the gameplay, it looked like Halo to me, but in motion it may feel like Call of Duty. You’re put into the game with a bunch of A.I. squad mates, and you chose a role that has certain missions objectives. As you go, you can find terminals that let you change your load out for other objectives. It seems that outside terminals you can choose objectives that give you different amounts of experience points. These points are used to get cooler gear, which you edit your load outs with.

Another feature that makes the gameplay unique is a sort of contextual button. Using this and aiming in that direction, you can get to any point as long as your character allows of it. This consists of sliding under low objects, jumping and climbing over obstacles, etc. This adds another dept of movement that will sure set this game apart.

Also, from what it sounds like, single player and online play are interwoven, so any A.I. squad mates off line can be real players online. This will be great, as there seems to be class-specific gear and objectives that will really define the game as a co-op experience.

Graphics look great, as it wasn’t too shiny like games looked to be heading, and it has a slight cartoony look to the characters themselves.

The presentation ended with the characters opening a contain and appear to have a surprised look on their faces with a green glow present. The screen goes black and the main character asks ‘what was our objective again?’. Could this be a Drake’s Fortune/FarCry/Crisis surprise? I wouldn’t mind a bit.

Release is scheduled for Spring 2010 on all major platforms.
http://www.bluegamer.net/2009/08/14/quakecon-brink-presentation/

Looks cool and promising. I hope we get some direct-feed gameplay footage soon.

Thunderbear said:
I saw the 30 minute E3 demo shown to press only. The game looks beautiful. HEAVILY rips off Mirror's Edge with the movement, but the gameplay itself seem like a very upgraded version of Enemy Territory. Framerate was quite low when I saw it, but I am sure that's being rectified (maybe Quakecon build is a lot smoother).

But the Mirror's Edge ripoff in movements really caught me off guard. You can run to gain momentum to jump over fences quicker, slide after high falls, slide under objects. You see your arms when you climb up a ledge.

I'm very excited about this game. The weapons look beautiful, pretty much as good as Killzone 2's weapons.

Anyway I am sure there will be videos soon.
hype hype hype

RainbowByte

Neo Member
I really like the exaggerated character proportions and the strong saturated colors. I think more next gen games need to define their own signature look like this game does, instead of just chasing 'make it look real'

I get a strong concept art vibe from everything shown in the screens, it looks more hand detailed instead of mapped by a texture artist using a bank of textures that have to be re-used for multiple instances.

Cool Grey

Banned
Wow the video is extremely small but you can see the detail/lighting/water/sky slightly enough to tell it looks amazing, character models look great, this is what I was expecting from RAGE but still both look extremely impressive in their own rights( sorry not to derail thread but i'm impressed so far)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
X26 said:
Looks good

...but where's the ES6 info!?

http://kotaku.com/5337865/bethesda-have-no-plans-for-more-elder-scrolls

On this week's instalment of No Plans Watch: Bethesda's Todd Howard, speaking at QuakeCon 09 on the future of the Elder Scrolls series now that his company is officially done with Fallout 3.

Answering fan questions on the subject, Howard said that there are "no current plans" for a fifth game in the Elder Scrolls series.

Sorry bro :( Thread-worthy news me-thinks.

WHOAguitarninja said:
??

Character models look absolutely rad to me. They have a really cool exaggerated style.
Character models are the only thing I'm not liking too much, I'm just not a fan of how the exaggerated thing looks. They are very detailed though.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I love the character designs. They are a bit different and definitely stylized so it's going to divide the audience a bit. But personally I love it and am glad they went for something different than what we see all the time.

GWX

Loving the art, the concept, the graphics, and mainly this SMART thing that ripoffs Mirror's Edge. I always wanted a FPS (ME is a platformer) with this kind of freedom, this kind of movement, so i'm sold. Also, 8-player co-op is not bad :D

I hoping for some direct-feed gameplay at GamesCom.

taoofjord

AzureNightmareXE said:
fairly impressive, but I can see that the character models still need some work.

Not sure I agree with you there. They look fresh and full of personality to me. I'd never have thought Splash Damage could pull off such great animation and character designs after the quite ugly Quake Wars. I'm assuming they hired some new artists and animators for this project. Looks great!

FirewalkR said:
Someone filmed the gameplay in can't-see-shit-vision. The slightly-out-of-focus-MSAA technique also seems to work pretty well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcQZH7mwdz4

Well, let's wait till they think it's ready for the internets. :)

I like how the video starts with the dude asking people not to film the demo and put it up on the internet. :lol

Anyways, looks really cool so far. Love the art style.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I'm loving the looks of this and rage.

It's like some game developer opened his blinds, looked outside and said holy shit, colour! And then went ahead and starting adding it into their games.

I'm also glad it's not "realistic". I've never understood the need for a game to look as realistic as possible, it always falls so short.

Top Bottom