• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best stories in videogames?

GymWolf

It's quite connected to 5 to the point of starting right were that game ends. :goog_relieved:

Guess it didn't matter too much tho since you were able to enjoy it. Anyway, don't skip on 5, great game specially if you enjoy the sidecontent in the Yakuza games.
Maybe, but the big chunk of the plot is unrelated with old yakuza games, all new characters and location, you forget about the connection with 5, 30 min after starting the game, i didn't even watched a recap of 5 and i still enjoyed the crap of out of 6.

I don't really enjoy the minigamesbecause i'm pretty crap at them and i'm just not a minigame type of guy, i just enjoy the cabaret one and maybe some of the strangest one or with a big plot behind like the real estate in 0.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Maybe, but the big chunk of the plot is unrelated with old yakuza games, all new characters and location, you forget about the connection with 5, 30 min after starting the game, i didn't even watched a recap of 5 and i still enjoyed the crap of out of 6.
True. In fact I think some fans disliked 6 for being so disconnected from previous games, specially when it was supossed to be Kiryu's send off game. I didn't care about that and loved the game.

But seriously 5 is better, go play it!

GymWolf

True. In fact I think some fans disliked 6 for being so disconnected from previous games, specially when it was supossed to be Kiryu's send off game. I didn't care about that and loved the game.

But seriously 5 is better, go play it!
Even if it is better plot wise, i already feel like the gameplay is gonna be a huge step behind without the dragon engine, i just love to pummel mofos with the exagerated ragdoll.

I'm playing ken shiro yakuza and the combat just feels clunky compared to the newer ones, and ken shiro is already way newer than 3-4-5.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Even if it is better plot wise, i already feel like the gameplay is gonna be a huge step behind without the dragon engine, i jist love to pummel mofos with the exagerated ragdoll.
Haha yeah that will be missed, specially since in 6 the ragdolls are so over the top.

At least in 5 you have 5 different characters each with their different movesets and skills, and one of them is quite different from what you are used to.

I just hope you don't mind some jpop idol cringe-kino in your yakuza games. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

GymWolf

Haha yeah that will be missed, specially since in 6 the ragdolls are so over the top.

At least in 5 you have 5 different characters each with their different movesets and skills, and one of them is quite different from what you are used to.

I just hope you don't mind some jpop idol cringe-kino in your yakuza games. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I need to be in the right state of mind before playing a yakuza, and after ken shiro i'm probably gonna get a long pause before the next yakuza game that is probably gonna be ishin remake.

Guilty_AI

capsule_616x353.jpg

ProtoByte

A discussion for the most cultured of gamers.

There's many more, but Vampire: The Masquerade is so, so good. Damn shame what a mess Paradox has made of The World of Darkness.

Last edited:

Roberts

Lately, Psychonauts 2, Hades and Pentiment.

Psychonauts perhaps a bit more traditional than others, but it has so much character and heart. Hades and Pentiment finding new ways how to tell stories in video games. Totally idiosyncratic.

I really want to get into Norco because it looks like my kind of jam, but I took the worst times to try it out (twice, late at night) and fell asleep right at the beginning.

UnNamed

Banned
Usually story in games are mostly generic or full of clichè, I played games with a good story but rarely something that makes me think "wow what a story".

The last plot in a game I really liked was Indivisible. A good Metroidvania (for me), interesting mechanics, but in the end a divisive game. But the story, the implementation, and the meaning behind were really nice.

I also liked the latest Paper Mario. I was a little bit sad at the end.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Lately, Psychonauts 2, Hades and Pentiment.

Psychonauts perhaps a bit more traditional than others, but it has so much character and heart. Hades and Pentiment finding new ways how to tell stories in video games. Totally idiosyncratic.

I really want to get into Norco because it looks like my kind of jam, but I took the worst times to try it out (twice, late at night) and fell asleep right at the beginning.
Norco is a super weird game. It's not exactly enjoyable at first. I've seen it described as a fever dream, and that's pretty accurate. After you make it through Act 1 you're finally on some solid ground though and it becomes a lot more interesting. I play games like that on the weekends at like 6am with a cup of coffee (seriously, it's great).

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
999. Brain-melting and constantly amazing. The DS version also makes use of the peculiarities of the hardware, further strengthening the narration.

Ace Attorney 3 and 4. Phenomenal wrap-up of a trilogy for the first one, perfect self-contained story for the second with a final chapter that has strong storytelling combined with intelligent use of the hardware.

Xenogears and Xenoblade 1. The definitive “killing God” JRPGs. Gears has one of the most mature scripts ever seen in a game, Blade is more anime but still has very mature themes and strong writing.

Chrono Cross. A story about the power of human choices, and the very thin line between the concepts of good and evil.

Final Fantasy 7. Terrorism. Exploitation of the environment. The frailty of the human mind against delusion, regret, shame, guilt. The lust for money and power putting the whole planet in jeopardy. All of this narrated through a sublime cast of characters.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
For me Legacy of Kain was always the epitome of classic writing in games. I was totally enthralled by the SR2 plot.

Bloodborne and TES in terms of worldbuilding. For Bloodborne I actually read the entire Plaeblood Hunt synopsis, watched YT playthroughs and shit. Usually I'm not too hot for this but for some reason Bloodborne really caputred me. It's still one of my favourite games of all time.

Roberts

Norco is a super weird game. It's not exactly enjoyable at first. I've seen it described as a fever dream, and that's pretty accurate. After you make it through Act 1 you're finally on some solid ground though and it becomes a lot more interesting. I play games like that on the weekends at like 6am with a cup of coffee (seriously, it's great).
Ha, I love weird and I was always fascinated by Louisiana even though I have never been there so I will definitely try it when I'm not falling asleep after reading a page of text. I would love to be able to wake up at 6am, but I think 9am will do nicely.

Certinty

Definitely Red Dead Redemption 2 by a long ass way.

The writing is just something else, as is the level of depth for every character around Arthur.

I honestly question the next time a game’s story will even come close to that.

Melubas

Disco Elysium and Planescape Torment. Nothing comes close for me. Not to say that there aren't more good stories but these two are so far above the rest.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
TLOU 2
God of War Ragnarok
Bioshock
Bioshock Infinite
Red Dead Redemption 1 and 2

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I’m a simple man. I generally like stories like OOT, Banjo and Ori.

That being said, The Last of Us PS3/4 is undeniably a brilliant story told through the medium.

calistan

Steins Gate was excellent.
I managed to miss a huge chunk of the story in that one. I didn’t realise you were meant to press something to respond to the text messages (played it on iPad) and I got locked into an ending where I settled down with the cat waitress girl, abandoned all quests, and forgot all about mad scientist stuff.

Turns out there’s an entire extra chapter if that doesn’t happen, with various proper endings. I enjoyed what I got, but I felt completely let down at missing any actual resolution to the story.

bq3wQzM.png

“I come to America for make better life and for escape criminal past.”
*Engages in countless murderous rampages, and in less than a week becomes the most prolific serial killer in American history*
“Hey Niko, let’s go bowling!”

I think both Steins Gate and GTA IV illustrate why stories in games are rarely on the same level as movies or books with linear narrative. See also Lara Croft briefly traumatised at having to kill an actual person, then going on to massacre enemies by the dozen. That sort of thing would instantly render a movie plot laughable. The more agency you give the player, the less control the writer has. The more the equation tilts the other way, the worse the game is to play.

Jaybe

RDR1 (part of the reason I picked up a XSX was to have access to it in its best form)
RDR2
TLOU
The Witcher 3
Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3 - played recently with the LE edition which is great with all the DLC. Yes, with 3, they stumbled and cracked their head open and bleed out at the last bit of the marathon but how it satisfying resolved a couple major arcs threaded through it the trilogy I have to recognize it

Last edited:

SteadyEvo

SOMA.

Nothing else comes close. And I mean literally nothing, even after playing nearly every beknown good « story game » in existence, of every generation.

I hope a story as strong as this one will come out in gaming at least in the next 20 years, whatever form it takes. But unfortunately I am really not sure that will happen. It is that powerful a story.
I’ll have to check it out. Had it downloaded for ages and haven’t fired it up.

lachesis

I like 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim - not because of story itself per se, but how it's told.

In video games - I find story itself are sometimes difficult to measure how good it is, because sometimes you get distracted by all the side quests and all the things going around - which really impacts the pacing and all differently for any given player's play style.

0neAnd0nly

Always subjective question, but for me personally…

Uncharted series as a whole.

The Last Guardian

Batman: Telltale

I’m sure there is more, but those certainly always stand out to me as memorable.

Top Bottom