• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Podcast Player besides Spotify?

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Hi all.

I recently bought a subscription on Patreon for a podcast I listen to.

No commercials. Bonus episodes and some books in pdf. Great stuff.

Anyways. I always used Spotify for his podcast. Worked great because after an episode ended it would just play the next. But it had some commercials. Not to bad. But missing episodes and bonus content was missing as a free listener

On patreon you have to manually click on new eps and that's quite annoying when you're doing long cardio sessions for example.

I asked the host if the podcast perks carried over to Spotify and this was his response:

Patreon does NOT carry into Spotify (they dont allow you to put your own RSS in).

I don't even know what RSS is

So....

I'm not in the slightest familiar with podcast players so I was hoping for some recommendations from you guys and girls.

You know. Pro's, the Cons. QOL stuff certain player have. That sort of stuff.

Thanks in advance ;)

TLDR: your favorite podcast player besides spotify and why

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

I use PocketCast. I got the Plus version when it was a one time purchase.

They have a browser version that's synch up to my mobile version, it's all seemless.
So it's running on all my devices at the same time.
Everything is well organised and it's very user friendly.
It works super well on Android auto and will start/stops when I go in and out of the car.

I just don't have to think about it, it just works and does everything I want it to.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I use PocketCast. I got the Plus version when it was a one time purchase.

They have a browser version that's synch up to my mobile version, it's all seemless.
So it's running on all my devices at the same time.
Everything is well organised and it's very user friendly.
It works super well on Android auto and will start/stops when I go in and out of the car.

I just don't have to think about it, it just works and does everything I want it to.

Thanks for your detailed response brother.

I will take a look a see what's what!

casnix

Another vote for Pocket Casts. It has an app for Android and iOS. Never had any issues with it. Using Spotify for podcasts must be horrible.

Overcast would be my next choice after Pocket Casts but it’s on iOS only.

Billbofet

I use Podcast Addict on Android.

Other than my phone sometimes insisting on killing it as soon as I pause an episode, I've never had any issues with it so I've never looked for alternatives.
+1 on Podcast Addict

I have used it for years and love it. Not even sure what else is even out there.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Wow thanks for the replys!

Yeah I went on Spotify for Joe Rogan. Well, for his guests.

Anyways

Pocket Casts I already downloaded and I see Podcast Addict is highly recommended as well.

I need to put a RSS in those to link with Patreon to carry over the perks of being a member. And this shit is new to me so I'll have to look up how.

Thanks to all of you =)

Reallink

I wouldn't recommend Pocket Cast, have regular trouble with it not syncing in the background so my phone and tablet will fight and overwrite my positions in podcasts. It seemingly won't sync until it's launched/active, and the autoplay that happens when it connects to a known BT devices is faster than it'll sync.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I'm on Pocket Casts because I got the lifetime license, but I think it's the features that matter and you'll probably find these in multiple apps.

The features I like:
  • Customisable start/end skips (good for intros and ads)
  • Cloud sync for PC (works great with Steam Input's media shortcuts)
  • Skip silence (this alone has saved me 2 days 19 hours of silence in my 101 days of listening time)
  • Personal file upload (I've got some old podcasts and radio that I keep in their cloud)
  • "Intelligent playback resume". When you haven't listened for a little while, it skips back 15-30 seconds so you can remember what was being said
Reallink Reallink is right about sync, and I don't know how to fix it, but I find it's just the Windows app that doesn't sync often if I want to swap straight over to my phone.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Good luck OP 👍 I’ve tried a lot of the free stuff and it just never works well enough to keep me around.

Spotify Premium works flawlessly for me. It even syncs up with my car and other devices seamlessly 🤷‍♂️ Podcasts, music, audio books, etc. i just wished they had a Spotify Live where creators/artists could broadcast.

It’s well worth the $10 a month or whatever it is, maybe $15 now. I’ll have to check out some of these other free apps, but it’s legit some of the easiest money I spend every month. I can’t recommend Spotify Premium enough, especially for music and podcast lovers.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Thanks Kev. It's just that Spotify wont allow RSS feed or whatever so it doenst give the perks I specifically signed up for his Patreon. So you were spot on with good luck because I need it LOL

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I use pocketcasts. Used to use beyondpod which had lots more useful features but at some point an update broke it for me and I never went back.
Checking the reviews for beyondpod seems like it is now trash, such a shame.

Last edited:
Top Bottom