• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best fried chicken in your city

Dallas Tx

Mike's Chicken

Hm. Never heard of it. I see I live about 10min from this place..... And Yelp seems to back up your claim.

Hmmmmmmm....

Edit: Wait a minute. I've been there! I just got tenders, though. They were ok. I guess I would need to also try other pieces, though.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Seattle has two "legendary" places - Ezell's and Heaven Sent. because of an acrimonious divorce they both have the same "secret recipe" - both are delicious as long as you order "spicy" and I also like the first eight bites of fried okra.

Allegedly Oprah orders Ezells to be shipped to her from time to time.

Raleigh? Nice. I had to be in town for work a year or so ago, ate at a couple of AC restaurants while I was there. Didn't get a chance to go to Beasley's, but I had lunch at Chuck's and breakfast at Joule's while I was there.
Joule's has closed now, sadly, but Chuck's is one of my favorite burger places.

phanphare

Banned
Charlotte, NC

Prices.jpeg

runner up is probably the fried chicken at a Quik Shoppe attached to a Shell gas station, not even kidding

fancimus

In NYC I'd say Root & Bone is probably my favorite, but it's a small space and waits can be extremely long if you don't have a reservation. Wilma Jean in Carroll Gardens is a great choice too and much easier to just walk-in and eat.

Saw a few people mention some other good spots (Commodore, Bob White etc). Hill Country Chicken is also really excellent for being a fast-casual type of place. I still haven't had hot chicken, and there's a few places here that serve it...not idea how it compares to the best in Nashville.

Marston's Chicken Shop in Huddersfield, UK:

scHXcvZ.jpg

People come from all over the town and as far as Leeds and Bradford to get it.

Also apparently they were offering chicken for £1 for their 30th anniversary and people were queuing down the street to get some:

ivwB7db.jpg

andymcc

Banned
Hot Chicken Takeover is the best I've had in Columbus. They have a closing time of 3PM because they always run out of chicken but they usually run out way before that.

The second location is opening up near where I live so I'm super excited.

Same.

Now I want some with double Mac.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
In the Bay Area and in NYC for me is Bon Chon Chicken.

Strips, spicy, amazing.

Oh and because of the way its fried, I can eat it and stay in keto. Its low carb enough.

Christian

In Pittsburgh. No fried chicken places really stand out to me, but the Peruvian chicken at Chicken Latino in then Strip District is really great.

andymcc

Banned
In the Bay Area and in NYC for me is Bon Chon Chicken.

Strips, spicy, amazing.

Oh and because of the way its fried, I can eat it and stay in keto. Its low carb enough.

Bonchon is pretty good too but I've found it's kind of hit or miss based on how busy the kitchen is.

ToD_

Raising Canes was the best in Minneapolis

Don't know where I should go in Chicago

Someone mentioned Crisp already, which is indeed pretty good.

For Chicago I can also recommend going to Hopleaf in Andersonville every first Monday of the month for dinner. That is their Belgian Fried Chicken Night, where they serve a different fried chicken dish each month. If you like beer and delicious food, Hopleaf is a good spot. I'll actually be going there for the fried chicken tonight.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
No need to exclude chains. But if those are winning, damn, that really sucks for your town.

These are my top​ three for LA County:

1. Howlin Ray's - I finally got to visit Howlin Ray's the other day, and it's as good as its hype. They're known for their spicy chicken sandwich, but I got the non-spicy fried chicken, and it was crispy, juicy, and delicious. Even the white meat was good, and white meat sucks.

2. Tokyo Fried Chicken - Their blend of spices gives their chicken a unique flavor, and they have amazing sides to go with it, like chicken rice and truffle edamame. This place is owned by a former izakaya taisho who got bored and revamped his whole restaurant to do fried chicken. They don't even serve white meat because white meat sucks.

3. Sir Pizza 'n Chicken - Their chicken is broasted (pressure fried--not "roasted, bro"), and it's really good. Not Howlin Ray's good but still really good.

Bonus: Tenkatori - Their chicken karaage is the best.

Regarding the Tokyo one, I'd never try it because I'm exclusively white meat chicken.

PG2G

No need to exclude chains. But if those are winning, damn, that really sucks for your town.

These are my top​ three for LA County:

1. Howlin Ray's - I finally got to visit Howlin Ray's the other day, and it's as good as its hype. They're known for their spicy chicken sandwich, but I got the non-spicy fried chicken, and it was crispy, juicy, and delicious. Even the white meat was good, and white meat sucks.

2. Tokyo Fried Chicken - Their blend of spices gives their chicken a unique flavor, and they have amazing sides to go with it, like chicken rice and truffle edamame. This place is owned by a former izakaya taisho who got bored and revamped his whole restaurant to do fried chicken. They don't even serve white meat because white meat sucks.

3. Sir Pizza 'n Chicken - Their chicken is broasted (pressure fried--not "roasted, bro"), and it's really good. Not Howlin Ray's good but still really good.

Bonus: Tenkatori - Their chicken karaage is the best.

I take it you've never been to Honey's Kettle or Gus'

Datz, Love's, Lee Roy Selmon's in Tampa.

Anyone from Tampa have any lesser known places?

Also, Chestnut in Asheville, NC. Fried Chicken and Waffles was so so good.

SeanC

I've heard Howlin Ray's in LA Chinatown is the best and I'm too lazy to go there but I'll still gonna say that because otherwise it's just KFC and Popeyes.

99Luffy

Banned
Popeyes is the best unfortunetly. Only mom and pops chicken places here are asian fried chicken which Im not a fan of.

I take it you've never been to Honey's Kettle or Gus'
They don't have them around here, and I don't think I've been anywhere with them.

Probably the best place I've ever been to is Fiorella's in New Orleans, but I hear Willie Mae's is better.

I've been to a few other places that are supposed to be amazing, like Bouchon, Yard Bird, Roscoe's, etc., but they've just been okay.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Crispy Fried Chicken is pretty good (SD county).

I'm looking at the reviews for this place and one of the few negative ones is a one-star review that basically just says "It's full of niggers." These assholes are getting bold.

Momofuku - This is an incredible dining experience that combines southern and korean style fried chickens. You need at least 4 people to get a (hard to get) reservation for it. Worth trying one time

$150 for fried chicken? WTF

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
NYC has a couple great places..

Momofuku - This is an incredible dining experience that combines southern and korean style fried chickens. You need at least 4 people to get a (hard to get) reservation for it. Worth trying one time

100% disagree on this one. Made the reservation, went with a bunch of friends and it was one of the most generic ass meals we had. Really dry, bland fried chicken. We had about 1/2 of it left and most people didn't even take leftovers.

Real bummer too cause I love the place and brand, but that was extremely disappointing.

I live in Vegas, I'll happily take any suggestion. I've never sought out fried chicken here so I'm curious whether or not Vegas has any good chicken.

NYC has a couple great places..

Hill Country Fried Chicken - Nice classic Southern style fried chicken. Delicious pies also available for dessert

A Momofuku just opened up here, maybe I'll give it a go. It's basically a walk-up; no need for a 4 week reservation. It's the price tag that would deter me tho

tkscz

richies-fast-food-restaurant-cincinnati-6083895.jpg

Cincinnati, Ohio Richie's Restaurant. It's a Soul Food place but their chicken is top natch. Their spicy Chicken is so damn good and it's super greasy like KFC.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Stop putting honey on chicken for the love of God. What is it with Americans always adding sugar and honey to meat?

Cincinnati, Ohio Richie's Restaurant. It's a Soul Food place but their chicken is top natch. Their spicy Chicken is so damn good and it's super greasy like KFC.

It's great. Also, Roney's out east of town (used to be Roy Rogers). And the Hitching Post. And the Proud Rooster. And The Eagle OTR.

There's a lot of good fried chicken in this town. No need to ever go to KFC here.

Top Bottom