• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best cellphones of 2023

Cyberpunkd

I'm sure your government has access to all your info through your cellphone too.
Ah, the “both sides” argument.

Season 4 Wow GIF by The Office

Tams

I'm a smartphone nerd and I only really consider Samsung or Sony devices.

Samsung only if they have an Spen (Wacom EMR) and/or fold. Sony because they have the most features (headphone jack (socket), good DAC, microSD card reader, hardware shutter button, no notch or bullet hole, dual speakers, etc.)

iPhones are pretty good and cool, but they are obnoxiously garden-walled. Apple are a shitty company too.

Soltype

I'm not really a phone person, but I've had a Z Fold for about 2 years, I can't imagine going back to a regular phone.

midnightAI

I'm not really a phone person, but I've had a Z Fold for about 2 years, I can't imagine going back to a regular phone.
Agreed actually, just got a Motorola Razr 40 Ultra, just upgraded from the Pixel 6, other than the cameras I don't miss anything and the folding form factor is awesome. Having a proper useable outer display is a game changer.

Roxkis_ii

My next phone will likely be an Asus phone concidering they still have headphone jacks, and I've been hearing good things about the Zenphone 10.

Ive been holding on to my LG v60 for dear life. Might keep it another year if I can get away with it.

Last edited:

Drew1440

Yeah I hate that headphone jacks were removed. I think Sony phones might still have headphone jacks but their cameras sucks
Sony's Exmor sensors are the dominant camera sensors in smartphones today. Their Camera Pro app has a steep learning curve, but can still install third-party, or Google's own camera app for something more user-friendly.
Personally the headphone jack and 21:9 screen is enough to win me over, I just wish they had a faster response to updates.

Urban

All i need is a basic model with a good/great camera and headphone jack kinda optional.

Doenst need to be big or with oled and features i dont care about.

Researching this gives me a headache =/
Just buy a Iphone 12 or Iphone 13.
It does the Job and is pretty good

diffusionx

Gold Member
So you don't even know about the general technical equipment from Sony smartphones but you weren't hesitant to speak against their capabilities on taking high quality pictures.
cell phone cameras are two things, the hardware and software. Sony's software is way behind, even though the hardware is just fine and in many cases literally the exact same as what other manufacturers are using.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I landed on the OnePlus 11 because I did research on phones coming out and this one hit all the marks I needed it to for the price I was looking for. I have great battery life, snappy processor, 120hz 2K screen, super fast charging, etc! Shame so many people are missing out on such a great phone because of thinking there's only 2 choices.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I landed on the OnePlus 11 because I did research on phones coming out and this one hit all the marks I needed it to for the price I was looking for. I have great battery life, snappy processor, 120hz 2K screen, super fast charging, etc! Shame so many people are missing out on such a great phone because of thinking there's only 2 choices.
The oneplus12 is really good! Its nice to have another option in America besides Samsung and Apple.
Their foldable blows Samsung's fold 5 out of the water. I guess Samsung will have to stop being lazy with it's foldables now that they have real competition outside of Asia.

Last edited:
I really like my OnePlus 10T. Once you've lived the life of "Oh look my battery is low, I'll just plug it in for 10 minutes and I'm good to go the rest of the day" it's hard to go back to 1+ hour charge times on the only 2 choices most normies think they have.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
They don't even have a review for the Xperia 1 V. And the 1 IV does achieve decent results in categories that matter to me.

In addition their whole audio test process revolves around measuring the speakers and the microphone. Not a single word about dedicated audio hard or software. I get that it is the same process for all the phones but for a place that prides itself in "The World-Leading Quality Evaluation Laboratory" and especially in hindsight of the audio capabilities of the Mark IV and V i find this incredible bad. Like purposely leaving out a key aspect of the device.

While a review might be a baseline for discussion, it will only take me a minute to find two tests for most phones, featuring both ends of the spectrum. Sure, it's impossible to test every phone on your own given the market saturation but you should always try to make up your mind and not sprout something like "but their cameras suck" when you obviously have no clue. I understand that picture quality might be your focus and that Sony phones are not up to your personal standard, but still.

You asked for best cell phones of 2023 and the Mark V sure is up there in my eyes for many highly subjective reasons.
The problem with Sony phones and the reason they get bad rap in camera department is because every smartphone automatically takes and adjust the photos to be the best they can, Samsung & Apple even enhances them artificially
Sony's cameras don't, everything has to be manually done, they expect you to be a professional photographer
For someone that just wants to take their phone out and snap a picture and it to be good enough the first time without having to fiddle around with the settings Sony's phones aren't ideal.
but a lot of professionals photographers have praised the Xperia Phones because they can achieve professional looking photos which you just can't achieve on phone's
you can achieve professional looking effects without it being artificial
but you have to know what you're doing.
so to a professional photographer it's fantastic, but to your average iPhone user?
it's a terrible experience and just looks bad to them
The other problem is if you know how to take great photos on the Xperia Phones you wouldn't be using it to take pictures in the first place because you'd have a professional camera
Overall it's a mixed bag as there's Pro's & Con's which could be resolved if Sony just combined the two

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
The problem with Sony phones and the reason they get bad rap in camera department is because every smartphone automatically takes and adjust the photos to be the best they can, Samsung & Apple even enhances them artificially
Sony's cameras don't, everything has to be manually done, they expect you to be a professional photographer
For someone that just wants to take their phone out and snap a picture and it to be good enough the first time without having to fiddle around with the settings Sony's phones aren't ideal.
but a lot of professionals photographers have praised the Xperia Phones because they can achieve professional looking photos which you just can't achieve on phone's
so to a professional photographer it's fantastic, but to your average iPhone user?
The other problem is if you know how to take great photos on the Xperia Phones you wouldn't be using it to take pictures in the first place because you'd have a professional camera
Even if you know how to take great photos Sony doesn't put it's IMX989 sensor in their phones which is crazy because it's the best sensor on the market right now. The only ones using that sensor right now are the Chinese that's why their phones take the best photos.

Reactions: TGO

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Even if you know how to take great photos Sony doesn't put it's IMX989 sensor in their phones which is crazy because it's the best sensor on the market right now. The only ones using that sensor right now are the Chinese that's why their phones take the best photos.
Yeah that's why I added that bit at the end of my post, if they combined the IMX989 sensor with the stuff they put in their Phones it would be a different story.
To my understanding Sony is launching a new Phone Brand next year that's not an Xperia.

Yeah that's why I added that bit at the end of my post, if they combined the IMX989 sensor with the stuff they put in their Phones it would be a different story.
To my understanding Sony is launching a new Phone Brand next year that's not an Xperia.
PlayStation Phone incoming? It will be tough to break back into phones now with the market as crowded as it is, and "gaming" phones really aren't popular at all with most phone buyers.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Yeah, I read they've got a new sensor better than the IMX 989 ready for 2024 and the Chinese are already lining up to put it in their phones.

• Thoughtful

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
yet his video on the best smartphones had mostly the same phones as the article you posted in the OP...
MkUltraBdsm said iPhone takes the best video skip to 3:45 and honestly tell the iPhones video with the lens flare and judder is better than the vivo

This is a screenshot of the front facing cameras video at night. In case your wondering which is which the iPhone is the darker, noisier pic
GSfyXwI.jpg

I think the iPhone has the slight edge on the ultrwide at night.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
MkUltraBdsm said iPhone takes the best video skip to 3:45 and honestly tell the iPhones video with the lens flare and judder is better than the vivo

This is a screenshot of the front facing cameras at night
GSfyXwI.jpg

I think the iPhone has the slight edge on the ultrwide at night.

I don't know anything about this phone or this guy doing this video. All I know is that you posted an article from a supposed sterling unbiased journalist and he praised the same phones that the biased losers on YouTube did.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I don't know anything about this phone or this guy doing this video. All I know is that you posted an article from a supposed sterling unbiased journalist and he praised the same phones that the biased losers on YouTube did.
Youre missing the point which is that he didn't only praise Samsung and Apple like MKultraBdsm. Samsung didn't even make his list and the iPhone didn't crack the top 3. Funny what happens when you don't have to worry about ad revenue and fanboys.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Youre missing the point which is that he didn't only praise Samsung and Apple like MKultraBdsm. Samsung didn't even make his list and the iPhone didn't crack the top 3. Funny what happens when you don't have to worry about ad revenue and fanboys.
Except what you are saying about MKBHD is just not true. His phone of the year was the Pixel 8. He praised the Zenfone like he did last year. He praised that OnePlus fold phone. Did you even watch it?

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Except what you are saying about MKBHD is just not true. His phone of the year was the Pixel 8. He praised the Zenfone like he did last year. He praised that OnePlus fold phone. Did you even watch it?
Yeah I did. I bet he was sweating bullets praising the oneplus open. I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung took him off the payroll for that. 🤣

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Overall it's a mixed bag as there's Pro's & Con's which could be resolved if Sony just combined the two

Ease of use sure is at great value for the average user but doesn't make the hardware objectively bad. It's not about brand popularity or sales figures but to acknowledge the best phones of the year from a technical perspective.

I for one find it jarring how excessively artificial post processing is used today. Might look "cool" at first glance but alters the original appearance of the scene quite a bit.

I see it the other way around, i never considered a professional camera but the Mark IV and V made me constantly consider it.

Laptop1991

I don't keep up with the latest phones anymore due to the price rises and cost's that i don't think is worth it, i prefer the budget range and i have to have sd card support which a lot of the expensive ones don't seem to have now, still got my Red mi note 10 pro, still works fine for me at the minute

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I don't keep up with the latest phones anymore due to the price rises and cost's that i don't think is worth it, i prefer the budget range and i have to have sd card support which a lot of the expensive ones don't seem to have now, still got my Red mi note 10 pro, still works fine for me at the minute

I have a samsung A8 since 2018.
No problems since recently.
It's end is neigh.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Not bad either! I quoted you because I also don't desire a high end model. Just needs to do a couple things right and I'm good.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I had apples back when ditching the headphone jack so that there’s more wireless connectivity btw I ended up buying the adapter

Tams

MKBHD

One of the best content creators on YouTube, cool as fuck dude.

I find his knowledge of the technology very shallow and him to be quite snobbish. His and his team's video production is very good, but I wouldn't recommend his advice on buying technology.

For buying advice, I only really recommend Mr Mobile and MobileTechReview.

For art, Brad Colbow and Teoh on Tech.

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
My Samsung A90 5G turned 4 the other day. I bought it on the premise that 5G was going to arrive in my area in Feb/Mar 2020.

Got a very nice 2yr unlimited data, text and minutes deal for just £20pm

...5G was then delayed by 12mths thanks to you know what.

Fucker.

Anyhoo, I will be looking for a new phone in the new year, haven't got a clue what to go for seeing as I simply pay no attention to the phone market after I make my purchase.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I find his knowledge of the technology very shallow and him to be quite snobbish.
He's entertaining but I don't subscribe to his channel or take his reviews seriously. He and guys like MrWhatshisname are for entertainment purposes they have to worry about their "sponsors" and subscribers. MrWhatshisname gave his phone of the year award to the iPhone AND Galaxy. Could he possibly be any more spineless and equivocating than that? He obviously didn't want to upset either camp. 🤣

Last edited:
Top Bottom