• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best cellphones of 2023

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Eh, it's not because I worry about them spying on me.
I just don't trust the quality control and durability of Chinese products in general, specially for something I'll be using every day for 4-5 years.
the quality control at oneplus is actually pretty insane

Scotracer

Neo Member
Just buy whichever is the cheapest flagship at the time you need a new one. Sorted. The differences really aren't worth thinking about anymore.

Laieon

Sony phones are known for inexplicably having photo quality lower than Apple, Google, Samsung, etc. even though they make the actual sensors that go into all those phones. It turns out computational photography matters when a camera sensor is smaller than a fingernail like on smartphones and Sony just doesn't do that. Their actual full-size cameras are fantastic.

The point is largely moot, Sony is a tiny minority player in phones these days. They basically only really exist in Japan as a phone manufacturer, sure you can buy a Sony smartphone in other regions but you'll pay a massive premium for pretty middling hardware specs, depending on where you are the phone won't support all the bands needed to work on your local carriers, and Sony has by far the worst software support in all of the Android world. They will literally sell you a US$2000 phone and only give it 1-2 years of software support and Android updates before abandoning it. Thanks but no thanks, Sony.

Yeah, I upgraded my Xperia 1 II this year to a Pixel 8 Pro because I just got tired of the lackluster photos and they stopped supporting it software-update wise awhile ago. The bands (or lack of) also became a major issue, I don't know if my network changed something in my area but over time the connection just got worse and worse (and it was never great to begin with). I was shocked at how much more reliable the Pixel is when I got it in comparison.

I'm a huge fan of Sony's mirrorless cameras/lenses (and OLED TVs/soundbars/whatever we're calling the HT-A9), but their phones just ain't it right now, especially for the price they charge.

I'll keep my Xperia around to be a glorified spotify player when traveling though.

Last edited:
All I know is that you posted an article from a supposed sterling unbiased journalist and he praised the same phones that the biased losers on YouTube did.
Youre missing the point which is that he didn't only praise Samsung and Apple like MKultraBdsm. Samsung didn't even make his list and the iPhone didn't crack the top 3. Funny what happens when you don't have to worry about ad revenue and fanboys.
Except what you are saying about MKBHD is just not true. His phone of the year was the Pixel 8. He praised the Zenfone like he did last year. He praised that OnePlus fold phone. Did you even watch it?
Yeah I did. I bet he was sweating bullets praising the oneplus open. I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung took him off the payroll for that.
:pie_thinking:

midnightAI

Just buy whichever is the cheapest flagship at the time you need a new one. Sorted. The differences really aren't worth thinking about anymore.
Agree, thats why I got a flip phone (Razr 40 Plus), just because its something different, I've had some interesting phones in the past:
Various Windows Mobile phones, early pre-touchscreen phones like the Orange SPV/HTC phones, I was heavily involved in the customisation of those on the MoDaCo forum, had a few models even pre-release phones.
Motorola ROKR E6, early Linux phone (Had that laser etched plate for the keypad like the Razr at the time, but was touch screen)
Neonode N1, very early touch screen phone that used an led array (we developed a game that was pre installed on that, originally made for Windows Mobile called Eclipse: First Wave, I'm currently developing a spiritual successor/remake of that game)
Nokia Lumia, amazing cameras for the time, 40mp in 2011. had it in bright yellow of course (banana phone)
Oppo Reno, motorised popup 'shark fin' camera was awesome, meant the front screen was fully utilised with no camera hole or anything, but its just so cool to see the camera popup up.
Phone before my new flip phone was a Pixel 6 which is great and I was tempted by the Pixel 8, but its just so boring and not exactly a massive boost over the 6, they are all so similar.

Last edited:

Reallink

Samsung always sells the new Ultra for $200-$300 with the prior year trade in, so good luck to other brands breaking that cycle for those in it.

Last edited:

JCK75

My girlfriend needed to update her severely out of date. LG... Went to Verizon with her and helped her pick out a pixel 8.. They gave it to her at no cost and I was like... So if I trade in my pixel 7 what's the cost they're like? Oh we can give it to you for free and you don't have to turn in your pixel 7...

So I just upgraded..

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
My girlfriend needed to update her severely out of date. LG... Went to Verizon with her and helped her pick out a pixel 8.. They gave it to her at no cost and I was like... So if I trade in my pixel 7 what's the cost they're like? Oh we can give it to you for free and you don't have to turn in your pixel 7...

So I just upgraded..
They usually give you a credit every month on your bill till the phone is paid off and if you cancel your service you pay the remaining balance on your phone.

huaxia

Banned
Thanks for sharing! very good post!
Google Pixels phones are very good price and quality. Also it's a very smooth Android experience. Samsung Galaxy Ultra phones are good if you're a power user.

Cyberpunkd

So I just upgraded..
But you are on obscene 24-months contract so gg.
I just got out of the contract, keeping the same phone I got 24 months ago - my monthly bill went from 52€ to 13€.

Keep your phone as long as you can, the upgrades are not worth it. If you need to upgrade look at a 1-2 year old model at a discount and never get it on the contract.

Last edited:

JCK75

But you are on obscene 24-months contract so gg.
I just got out of the contract, keeping the same phone I got 24 months ago - my monthly bill went from 52€ to 13€.

Keep your phone as long as you can, the upgrades are not worth it. If you need to upgrade look at a 1-2 year old model at a discount and never get it on the contract.

I've been with Verizon for several years now and I intend to stick with them so it's not a big deal

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I was TEMPTED to buy the OnePlus 12... It looks SOOOOO good! And everywhere is saying how great a phone it is!

To buy or not to buy... That is the question...

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Didn't know there were 2 different models

Yeppers. The 12 has the better cameras, chipset, etc. The 12R has a slightly bigger battery (5400 vs 5500)but can keep up with the big boys... Except it doesn't have wireless charging (the 12 does) and stuff like that.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Wife has the Xperia 1 III. Grabbed it on sale when it came out for like $800. The camera is excellent, and it also has a lot of camera controls to get it exactly the way you want. I know a lot of people just want to point and shoot and expect a miracle, but it doesn't work that way. It has a headphone jack port, built in DAC, and a great camera. Will upgrade to the 1 V soon, or wait for the next wave of Sony phones.

Tams

Wife has the Xperia 1 III. Grabbed it on sale when it came out for like $800. The camera is excellent, and it also has a lot of camera controls to get it exactly the way you want. I know a lot of people just want to point and shoot and expect a miracle, but it doesn't work that way. It has a headphone jack port, built in DAC, and a great camera. Will upgrade to the 1 V soon, or wait for the next wave of Sony phones.

If they had Wacom EMR, I'd switch to them.

Ribi

great phone (i have it) but the finger print sensor will die on you 100% and come back for a few days if that on reboot but it will keep dying.

as for a modern phone with all the bells and whistles people should look towards gaming phones. The Red magic 9 pro is below $700 and the ASUS rog phone can be had from china for around 700 as well.

note: I will never buy a phone w/o a headphone jack

Last edited:
Top Bottom