• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 1+2 [Switch OT] Witch, Meet the Switch

Andyliini

IyOJvdG.jpg

Platform: Nintendo Switch
Release date: February 16 2018 (WorldWide), February 17 2018 (Japan)
Developer: PlatinumGames
Publisher: Nintendo
Genre: Climax Action
Price: $49,99 / €49,99

tRTWDRF.png

Standard:

Mk7yXjt.jpg

Includes Bayonetta 2 on card and a download code to the original game.

Special Edition (Europe)

bayonetta_21_special_edition-42609881-.jpg

Non-Stop Climax Edition (Japan)

mtLmgAr.jpg

a3qRKFL.png

Bayonetta is an action game developed by Platinum Games and originally published by Sega on Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 in 2009. In 2014 Nintendo published the sequel, Bayonetta 2 exclusively on Wii U, alongside the port of the original game. Now both are coming to Nintendo Switch in a double pack like no other. The games feature slightly higher resolution and frame rate compared to the original releases on Wii U. Bayonetta 2 also includes a multiplayer Tag Climax Mode, that you can play in both local and online multiplayer.

The game features amiibo support. With amiibo, you can unlock some of the Bayonetta's costumes early. Like in the original game, you can also unlock the costumes traditionally, by playing the game

DGfWR3V.png

Metacritic: 90

Quotes
Meristation
Bayonetta 1+2 is one of the best hack and slash compilation in terms of gameplay and looks fantastic in handheld mode. However, it isn't polished in dock mode with only 720p and excessive jaggies.

We Got This Covered
Bayonetta 1+2 are spectacular entries in the hack-and-slash genre, and playing them on the go is a surreal experience that vastly diversifies the Switch's library. Rewarding skillful play with gorgeous, satisfying action while being thematically engrossing, these games are a breath of fresh air, even today.

Vooks
Stylish, spectacular, and satisfying, the Bayonetta games are among the best action titles I’ve ever played.

D8s8U7q.png

Hilarion

I have (and beat) them both on Wii U. No desire to play either again, although I had a good time with both and look forward to Bayonetta 3 on Switch eventually. Have fun, all.

KevinKeene

Banned
Unfortunately, this is one of the few Nintendo franchises I just can't enjoy. Played the demo for Bayo 2 an didn't like it. It doesn't help that I hate everything about Bayonetta'd design.

But good for all those who like the franchise. Now if only Nintendo would release new games for those that got a Switch for BotW.

goldenpp72

Unfortunately, this is one of the few Nintendo franchises I just can't enjoy. Played the demo for Bayo 2 an didn't like it. It doesn't help that I hate everything about Bayonetta'd design.

But good for all those who like the franchise. Now if only Nintendo would release new games for those that got a Switch for BotW.

I prefer 1 much more than 2 myself, you should reconsider giving them a real chance on the cheap. Genre defining games for sure.

The fact that Bayonetta 1 is a download code rather than a card or included on the same BYNT 2 card ruins the purpose of this collection. I guess I'll wait for the ultimate trilogy collection.

Last edited:

Poppyseed

FYI, I pre-purchased them both on the USA Nintendo estore. After buying the first one for $29.99, the second game became $29.99, too (reflects discount on the game page). Before that, the first game is $29.99, and the second game is $49.99.

Jezan

What was it that you didn't like?

Also, really at the last sentence? Oh wait, one of those believers.....

Wunray

For anyone who hasn't played bayo 2 do yourself a favor and play it. Gonna get this after I get a new laptop.

OH-MyCar

Bayonetta 2 was the oddest game to me: Gameplay-wise, I thought it was a solid sequel. Story-wise, I got angry every time Loki even opened his mouth and just stopped playing mid-way through (Ok, it wasn't entirely Loki).

I adored everything about the first one (suffered through the Plat, got 1000/1000 and completed it on Wii U), but something about the cutscenes & overall presentation in 2 just left me frigid for the whole thing.

Last edited:

goldenpp72

Bayonetta 2 was the oddest game to me: Gameplay-wise, I thought it was a solid sequel. Story-wise, I got angry every time Loki even opened his mouth and just stopped playing mid-way through (Ok, it wasn't entirely Loki).

I adored everything about the first one (suffered through the Plat, got 1000/1000 and completed it on Wii U), but something about the cutscenes & overall presentation in 2 just left me frigid for the whole thing.

2 while good, it focused too much on the gimmicks/flair while having a plot that was much less fun than the original. Bayo 1 is basically a crazy story with some charming elements to it, the story in 2 is just kind of there bordering on offensively bad at times. It also lacks the smooth jazzy feel 1 had so often. I think the original game being focused on grounded combat and the encounters also helped a ton, the levels and world felt more cohesive, varied and interesting.

With 1, I beat the crap out of it and got every thing done, and 2 was kind of a one and done title. Mind you, they're still both really good titles, but the original was a game of the generation level game, with 2 just being a good to great game.

MrMorningMan

Neo Member
I'm unsure whether I want to play these games or not. I almost pre-ordered the special edition twice but backed off at the lost moment. The gameplay looks chaotic and fun, yet I have an inkling of what will happen; I'll play it for 20 minutes and leave it for weeks at a time before continuing.

KamelRed

Neo Member
I have a physical copy coming tomorrow as I prefer physical copies of my games when possible. But these physical+digital code games are making me regret getting only a 64gb MicroSD card. Just Bayonetta 1 and Resident Evil: Revelations 2 will eat close to 40gb together.

Getting kinda tired of Japan being on the receiving end of physical copies of games while the rest of the world gets digital codes instead. If it was a I am Setsuna situation where the Japanese copy also includes a English translation I wouldn't mind nearly as much as it could have the upside of bypassing any censoring Nintendo feels we need. But that's not the case with Bayonetta 1 unfortunately...

entremet

I definitely preferred the sequel, although Bayo 1 is very good. I had some wacky choices. The Afterburner stage sucked hard.

AHindD

Holy fuck at the amount of whining in this thread.
Cant wait, picked up my copies of both 1+2 from the eShop. 2 runs at a glorious 60fps, so its awesome to revisit this awesome game again on a portable format.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Im not going to buy these for my switch because Im not a huge bayo fan and I have B1 on my 1X.
However I'm happy for bayo fans who will enjoy these on there switches.

staen

Heard some people had issues with redeeming the included Bayonetta 1 download code. Anyone have that issue? I ordered my copy last night but was going to wait until March to redeem the Bayo 1 code since games are supposed to be worth more gold points starting in March. I don't really want to wait so long to find out if I have an invalid code though.

Shift!

Game looks okay, I'm envious of Switch owners, and I care little for the performance issues. I wish it wasn't stuck at 720 progressive though, that kind of makes it hard to swallow. First and foremost is a warm welcome to Nintendo's own feminine lead, that begrudges none of the female ideology like Samus or Zelda.

KamelRed

Neo Member
Heard some people had issues with redeeming the included Bayonetta 1 download code. Anyone have that issue? I ordered my copy last night but was going to wait until March to redeem the Bayo 1 code since games are supposed to be worth more gold points starting in March. I don't really want to wait so long to find out if I have an invalid code though.

My Bayonetta 1 code worked fine (US version).

Mine worked, however I saw on amazon several verified purchases were ticked there code didn't work. Heard it has something to do with the first four numbers/letters of the code, not sure though.

ExpandKong

Banned

I never get the point of posts like this. Like “I won’t be buying this or playing it at all but hey good for you rubes who are into this sort of thing I guess.”

The silly Nintendo jab at the end doesn’t help either. Oh well.

Ordered this from eStarland coz I had some leftover credit there and I’ve already played the games before so not in a hurry to play on day one, but tonight I’m kinda wishing I’d just preordered it at Gamestop or something hahah. Great games, really eager to see more of B3.

Narroo

As someone who normally plays Bayonetta and DMC with the PS3/PS2 controllers, using R1 for lock-on via the default Switch pad is a bit awkward. Otherwise, everything is good!

I'm really digging Bayo 2 so far, that lumen sage fight was amazing. The only thing that bums me out is the absence of some of my favorite weapons from the first game :/

Also I swear to god, if Bayo 3 has Eastern European inspired locales again I'm gonna flip my shit. It's so freaking old after DMC4 did it and Bayo.

Do the Non-Stop Climax Edition carts include multiple languages (text and voice) or are the carts Japanese only?

AFAIK they have english texts but I don't know about the voice work.

Last edited:
Was able to start playing for a bit after having to wait so long for the first Bayonetta to finish downloading overnight. So far, this is not
the kind of game I expected Bayonetta to be. I am enjoying it so far. Sort of gives me some Viewtiful Joe vibes for some reason.

Livia

I have (and beat) them both on Wii U. No desire to play either again, although I had a good time with both and look forward to Bayonetta 3 on Switch eventually. Have fun, all.

Same for me. Loved the games on Wii U, and can't wait for Bayo 3.

DonF

My store will have the game on Monday...can't wait! Loved bayo 1, never owned a Wii u, I've been waiting to play this for years, I can wait a couple of days...

Astral Dog

I'm really digging Bayo 2 so far, that lumen sage fight was amazing. The only thing that bums me out is the absence of some of my favorite weapons from the first game :/

Also I swear to god, if Bayo 3 has Eastern European inspired locales again I'm gonna flip my shit. It's so freaking old after DMC4 did it and Bayo.

AFAIK they have english texts but I don't know about the voice work.
Hehe with all Souls and Bloodborne you are going to get mad when DMC 5 and Bayo 3 have European style towns, can't get enough of them ♡

Astral Dog

After much meditation and playthroughs i came to the conclusion that:
Bayo 2 > Bayo 1
Both are worth playing but you guys who haven't played the sequel are in for a TREAT, Bayonetta 2 is pure perfection (with the exception of a certain little shit named Loki, but you can learn to ignore him eventually).

After much meditation and playthroughs i came to the conclusion that:
Bayo 2 > Bayo 1
Both are worth playing but you guys who haven't played the sequel are in for a TREAT, Bayonetta 2 is pure perfection (with the exception of a certain little shit named Loki, but you can learn to ignore him eventually).

Odette and Durga are missing though :p, one of my favorite weapon combos from Bayo1 was having the ice skates and claws. I do like the actual boss fights and general pacing of Bayo 2 better than 1 though. Also the lumen sage fights are some of the most badass boss battles since the Virgil fights in DMC3.

Some of the new weapons are kind of ehhhhh, I'm not really digging the scythe so far or undine. The lack of Sai-Fung should be considered a criminal offense. Rakshasa is pretty awesome and I do like the bow even with it's limited moveset.

I really hope that for Bayo 3 they at least bring back Odette and Sai-Fung.

nowhat

Generally the "hybrid" form factor of the Switch is a theoretical advantage for me - my commute is so short I really wouldn't have any time for gaming, I prefer to eat on my lunch break and when at home, I prefer a big screen + surround sound. If I'm on a work-related trip, at least one the way to a client I usually spend it with my laptop, doing last minute fixes.

But currently visiting my brother and two hours on a bus, which usually would be rather boring, just flew by playing Bayonetta 1. This works very well handheld and it's nice being finally able to play it with decent performance (on a WiiU it wasn't exactly good).

Last edited:

Narroo

Ahh, I wish I had a physical copy of Bayonetta 1 instead of digital.

Anyways, I just beat Bayonetta 2. It's good, but also a mixed bag. They listened to fan criticsms of the first game pretty well and fixed a lot of issues the original had. Selecting stages isn't like pulling teeth, weapons aren't nearly as akward to use, secret missions are mostly hidden in less obnoxious locations and in less frustrating in general, etc. T

There are some draw backs though:
  • Enemy and level design has taken a hit; fights and stages are quite a bit less interesting.
  • The silly weapon gimmicks that didn't jive with Bayonetta 1's combo system have just been removed. For example the Durga replacement has a flamethrower instead of bombs for charge attacks. Yes, it works with the combo system better so you're not punished for using it, but it also makes it far more similar to pistol weapons.
  • Enemy weapons have been Nerfed and are also much rarer now.
  • Certain inputs are oddly more difficult now; moves like Tetsuzanko now are really difficult to input consistently.
  • Tetsuzanko has also just been flat nerfed.
  • Devil Trigger. Technically called 'Umbran Climax,' this gives you Climax mode from Bayonetta 1, plus some extra animations for wicked weaves and some health-regen. At least on Normal/Hard difficulties it's extremely overpowered compared to other uses of magic. Torture Attacks are now rarely useful, especially with enemy weapon nerfs, Tetsuzanko is half-useless now. Why waste three orbs for a single wicked weave with Tetsuzanko that probably won't even come out, when you can save for 10 orbs, ravage everything in sight, and then cancel the Devil Trigger early so it really costs only like 6 or 7 orbs?
  • The writing sucks really hard this time and retcons a ton of stuff from Bayonetta 1. Not that B1 was good writing per se, but one of the things that B1 did suprising well was small details and consistency, even if Bayonetta herself couldn't stop spreading her legs. Bayonetta 2 on the otherhand feels like 'The Last jedi,' at times, or at least 'The Force Awakens,' with it's lack of consistency, middiling scenes, and retcons. Oh well.

rhino2627

Neo Member
Never had a chance to play either on Wii U, so I downloaded Bayonetta to see what it was about. Never have I been so disappointed with an eShop purchase.

Terrible music, writing, and voice acting ruined it from the beginning. But the gameplay is just to repetitive and stale. Maybe I’m just not into this style of game, but in my opinion it’s just awful.

Narroo

Never have I been so disappointed with an eShop purchase.
You must be very choosy with eShop titles given how much trash is on it.

Bayonetta was never known for it's good story, but it's difficult to say the music is terrible even if you're not a fan of the genres it pulls from. Saying that the gameplay is stale makes it sound like you don't know how to play the game. Out of curiosity, you aren't using the Marionette accessory, are you?

I really love these games too much.

Bayo 1 is totally going to end up being the first game I buy for a 4th damn time....

Somebody is missing The Eyes of Bayonetta.......... :p

I wish I had the player 2 amiibo as well, too bad it was damn near impossible to get.

Also some of the hate I've been seeing for the series from newcomers around the internet and general lack of interest kind of makes me sympathetic with Capcom for not releasing a proper DMC game in over a decade. As someone who bought a PS2 for the first DMC when it released it kinda bums me out.

Last edited:

loki 16

I’m currently playing the first game and it holds super well. It runs and looks better than I remembered.

I wish I had the player 2 amiibo as well, too bad it was damn near impossible to get.

Also some of the hate I've been seeing for the series from newcomers around the internet and general lack of interest kind of makes me sympathetic with Capcom for not releasing a proper DMC game in over a decade. As someone who bought a PS2 for the first DMC when it released it kinda bums me out.
Haha. I almost bought that, but I'm not a very big artbook guy, all the ones I have were free/gifts, and I watched the dvd online.

I've found it quite easy, I just refuse to pay 30$ for a amiibo (40$ for US version).

Also same, my mom got me DMC as a birthday gift when it first released. I actually just got around to finally buying DMC4:SE (along with infamous Last Light since it's on sale), downloading as we speak. Now watch Capcom offer it as a pre-order bonus or something for the collection. :p
Still, I don't trust internet opinions when it comes to reality, saw tons of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 hate and then boom, 1 million in a month. I'm still in wait and see mode for sales data. Plus some hate is just people salty over the download ode screw up for Bayo 1.

I honestly would love to get this as well as Bayo 3. I missed out the first time around, and the frantic action gameplay and sheer insanity seems right up my alley.

Astral Dog

Those guys are going to eat their words when DMC V is shown/released, and when Bayo 3 gets 90+ reviews as well.

Its actually a goid time to be a (stylish) action game fan

Okay I take back what I said about Bayo 2 weapons, the dual chainsaws are pretty freaking rad.

The enemies that turn you into a kid and one shot you are the absolute worst :/

Even though it is ridiculously cute.

KiteGr

I'm almost convinced to buy a Switch.
Is there any retail version that has Bayoneta 1 on cartridge form? Digital stuff and codes have no collection value, the WiiU is dead and my PS3 edition is pretty much unplayable without a 5gb patch.
Should there be any physical edition of the game on that system, I'm ready to migrate properly, and finally play the sequel.

Last edited:

Andyliini

I'm almost convinced to buy a Switch.
Is there any retail version that has Bayoneta 1 on cartridge form? Digital stuff and codes have no collection value, the WiiU is and my PS3 edition is pretty much unplayable without a 5gb patch.
Should there be any physical edition of the game on that system, I'm ready to migrate properly, and finally play the sequel.

As far as I know, only the Japan exclusive Climax Edition has the original game on a physical card, all the other releases come with a download code. I'm not sure about that versions language-options, though.

Makariel

My fingers are to slow for button mashing required in some sections, I never finished the first game because I could not get past a few qtes :(

Top Bottom