• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora | Review Thread

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
No steam?

Venom 2 Reaction GIF by Venom Movie

Draugoth

Gold Member
Like i said in another thread, i love Ubisofts open world formula, and i love AVATAR. I have watched a lot of vids of this game and it seems like its everything i wanted from a open world AVATAR game.

Reviwers are not immune to fanboyism, and as you can see from this forum its cool to hate on Ubisoft. The score is around what i always expected it was going to be from the 'mainstream' reviewers, and thats why i side more with people like ACG who reviews games for what they are, and he pretty much loved the game so.

Def buying this.
The game is a must buy to Avatar fanatics.

My review in Spanish (6/10). Definitely one of the most boring games I've played in years: https://www.pcmrace.com/2023/12/06/avatar-frontiers-of-pandora-pc-review/

In the review there are fifteen 4K screenshots at max settings and a DLSS Vs FSR 3 image comparison (FSR3 looks on par with DLSS and works quite well in this game.).

afop.exe-Screenshot-2023.12.04-02.08.09.99.jpg

Afop-Screenshot-2023.11.30-01.35.19.78.jpg

Added to the thread

SkylineRKR

From the footage I’ve seen this looks hilariously bad and bland. The little stupid blue arms in first person, terrible.

It had to be first person... and with that it was probably easy to just copy paste Far Cry's gameplay and mission structure.

This game could've been more interesting if it was a third person adventure game or RPG.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
So far it's average, the story is like in the movies with a big bad guy doing big bad things and you have to fight him with your friends because friendship is everything. Gameplay wise, it's totally Far Cry revamped, it will be fun with a friend but nothing more.
Visually it's a bit of a mixed bag for me. Sometimes it looks really good and sometimes not that much. The water is also buggy because when it started raining, the rendering went crazy and the water started moving as if it were at x10 speed. Good point is the vegetation is very luxuriant.

Tested on a 4090/13700K/32Gb DDR5 with NVMe SSD and I can go as low as 40FPS @4K with DLAA. No stutter so far but damn it's heavy.
A few shots (don't mind the different resolution as I tested a few things to get constant 90FPS but the game is not scaling well so in the end I just left it @4K):

afop_plus.exe_Screenshot_2023.12.06_-_19.00.26.74.png
afop_plus.exe_Screenshot_2023.12.06_-_23.22.37.48.png
afop_plus.exe_Screenshot_2023.12.06_-_23.00.37.58.png
afop_plus.exe_Screenshot_2023.12.06_-_23.35.52.93.png

What's sure is that we are far from this reveal trailer, like... night and day

Not when I see stuff like this:

afop_plus.exe_Screenshot_2023.12.06_-_23.02.40.12.png

We've been Ubisofted, again.

Fake

Watching some of the gameplay, dude this is litelary Far Cry. Even the animation of picking stuff, running.

And why the game look so bright?

edit: I confess the visuals are good. Far Cry series should drop the Dunia engine in favor of Snowdrop engine because besides that saturation colors and the game being so bright, the graphics are good.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It was pretty great. A unique feel to it and as someone who enjoyed Primal a solid entry. I admit I was not a big fan of FC5 or 6 on release. But this felt good. It also looks incredible almost mind blowing.

I wasn't a huge fan of FC5 or FC6 either. Just too much of the same old shit. This....looks really good.

Last edited:

Comandr

He’s 100% right. Developers need to do better. Too bad if that bothers the console crowd.
He is 100% right. So many developers put a ton of time optimizing for console and then a game will finally release on PC with insanely barebones or often missing options on PC. I recall when FF7R first launched it was missing a lot of options- hell it still is missing a lot of granularity. Then there was Starfield more recently which didn’t launch with any kind of DLSS, FOV slider, or internal frame rate limiter if I recall.

It sucks and frankly is bullshit to have to rely on modders to implement settings and features that the people I’m actually paying should have put in in the first place. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg.

Stuff like upscaling and frame generation need to stop being afterthoughts. I shouldn’t have to find an engine.ini file and make my own fuckin edits to do simple stuff like disable bloom. “Post processing” shouldn’t be a yes no toggle that turns on 10 different settings. I should be able to control subsurface scattering, SSR, bloom, etc all individually.

It’s insane how many developers get away with virtually no options these days and MORE people aren’t calling them out for it.

On topic: I’m looking forward to playing the game. I actually like far cry games. I had a ton of fun with 3-5 and primal.

Topher

Gold Member
It's not a small insurgency blowing up pipelines and checkpoints?

Against a military operation, not civilians. What you are describing is typical military operations. Terrorism is kidnapping, killing, assaulting, etc. a civilian population in order to promote a political cause. This game ain't that.

Every war ever has "blown up" key objectives.

Last edited:

Karak

Ehhh... It has it's moment but damn it's inconsistent and way too heavy, not being able to maintain 60FPS on a 4090 is just not right imo.

afop_plus.exe_Screenshot_2023.12.07_-_01.49.09.97.png
afop_plus.exe_Screenshot_2023.12.07_-_01.32.57.32.png
afop_plus.exe_Screenshot_2023.12.07_-_01.33.21.41.png
Heavy? Not sure what you mean. If you mean perf ya its fucking crazy well optimized. up to 90fps at native 4k with most on high or ultra and crazy good world. Just nuts how amazing it looks and how performant it is.
It looks like you random just looked in nooks and crannies or something hahaha.

Last edited:

simpatico

Against a military operation, not civilians. What you are describing is typical military operations. Terrorism is kidnapping, killing, assaulting, etc. a civilian population in order to promote a political cause. This game ain't that.

Every war ever has "blown up" key objectives.
Is it total war in the game? Or just small uprising here and there on the planet? I know in the movie it was basically just a mining outpost. Didn't the whole conflict start when some climate protestor Navi vandalized a bulldozer? If they just found a different place to hang out in they could enjoy a supple share of the mineral extraction wealth. They really made a big deal out of it though.

Buggy Loop

We've been Ubisofted, again.

Called it a while ago. AlwaysHasBeen.jpg

Same will happen for Star Wars Outlaw

Ubisoft doesn't give a fuck. They probably found that bullshitting pays off more than the backlash from hardcore forums like here.

Karak

I wasn't a huge fan of FC5 or FC6 either. Just too much of the same old shit. This....looks really good.
Ya. FC 5 and 6 were just sort of messes. Now I admit 5 is better with patches and just casually but their sheer fright over having something NOT happen every 40 seconds kills it.
Was watching one of the Rockstar devs stream it and some of the Bungie and Horizon devs in the chat and all of them gush over it was pretty cool, even with some bugs its got. I always dig it when devs dig other developers' work when not in a full company hat.

Really excited to see Snowdrop being the engine for the new Far Cry games because this thing shows just how behind the Dunia engine is. Snowdrops handling of assets as well as consolidation of workflows has helped tremendously.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
its fucking crazy well optimized
I don't think so honestly, going as low as 40FPS on a 4090 is not acceptable. I tried it in 1440p and even then it's still goes to sub 50 frame on some arena (typically the first outpost/hub) because of how bad the game is scaling (I blame AMD techies for this).
FSR frame gen is unplayable for me. Anything higher or lower than my refresh rate makes my mouse mouvement very... jittery? Almost feels like the game is lagging... in single player. And I shouldn't compromise on a 4090 to get at least 60FPS.
Currently, no GPU can provide native 4K/60FPS maxed out experience which is crazy. "Up to" means nothing, I can go up to 180FPS maxed out if I look to the sky.

It looks like you random just looked in nooks and crannies or something hahaha.
Yeah I kinda expected this but I swear I did not nitpick. Just go up a tree and you see those horrible textures. Same for this one:

It's on A LOT of trees that are on the ground, not hidden or anything, just right in front of you. And yeah it can look very good (I posted some shot earlier) but I really think it's inconsistent.

Karak

I don't think so honestly, going as low as 40FPS on a 4090 is not acceptable. I tried it in 1440p and even then it's still goes to sub 50 frame on some arena (typically the first outpost/hub) because of how bad the game is scaling (I blame AMD techies for this).
FSR frame gen is unplayable for me. Anything higher or lower than my refresh rate makes my mouse mouvement very... jittery? Almost feels like the game is lagging... in single player. And I shouldn't compromise on a 4090 to get at least 60FPS.
Currently, no GPU can provide native 4K/60FPS maxed out experience which is crazy. "Up to" means nothing, I can go up to 180FPS maxed out if I look to the sky.

Yeah I kinda expected this but I swear I did not nitpick. Just go up a tree and you see those horrible textures. Same for this one:

It's on A LOT of trees that are on the ground, not hidden or anything, just right in front of you. And yeah it can look very good (I posted some shot earlier) but I really think it's inconsist
Wait. So we have folks getting 90 with 4090's on streams. Our stream in our discord we have people getting 70-90 native 4k with 4090 still running older 8700k's(ya older cpu but they didnt upgrade that yet)

So no clue on that. Honestly, it seems like you have something really wrong with your system or something else is up.
This is interesting hearing this as even other devs playing it right now are pretty uniformally insanely positive about its overall presentation. Are there issues, sure, but as a package it's interesting that even people who work in games are finding it excellent(aside from water) and you are not. They are also getting far better perf than you.

Edit
We have 3 streams in a dev stream in discord. 2 are using 4090's and getting 80 both in battles native, and 1 is getting about 85 but he isn't fighting.
As for finding low textures under stuff or whatever. Ya that is in every game and some in games will be even more prominent sadly. Horizon, Last of Us, that kind of stuff happens in the best of the best.
But also didn't you compare it to the first-look trailer? Cause FYI thats CGI stuff in the cutscenes in the game. The footage they showed in later trailers is actually 1 level of detail higher in the game than it was then due to lighting optimization.
Also that is a tree with a biological animal component. They discuss that in the game. The bio/animal mixes. The scales are there for a reason though arguments about its detail or whatever are of course up for opinion.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Wait. So we have folks getting 90 with 4090's on streams. Our stream in our discord we have people getting 70-90 native 4k with 4090 still running older 8700k's(ya older cpu but they didnt upgrade that yet)

So no clue on that. Honestly, it seems like you have something really wrong with your system or something else is up.
I have the latest driver and every game is performing as intended . You just can't get 60 frames @ native 4K. It's not possible right now:

So either they are not maxed out, or they are playing with frame gen (which is bugged, see [here]) or they have a 5090 ^^

By dropping the refresh rate to 100hz, and by setting the framerate limiter to 100fps, we were able to achieve a somehow acceptable experience. That was with a constant framerate of 100fps.
As we’ve said, the only way you can get a smooth experience with FSR 3.0 is by having the exact framerate as your refresh rate at all times. Anything higher or lower than that and you will get a jittery mouse movement.
So no, AMD has not addressed this issue yet.

Another example and it's not even the most demanding place:

image.png

Anyway on the graphic part, I just saw this video and yeah it's a looker. Maybe I had back luck on my 2 hours of playtime but some part were rough (at nighttime especially).

Also that is a tree with a biological animal component
Nah that's just an ugly ass texture. But I'll see once I played more.

Karak

I have the latest driver and every game is performing as intended . You just can't get 60 frames @ native 4K. It's not possible right now:

So either they are not maxed out, or they are playing with frame gen (which is bugged, see [here]) or they have a 5090 ^^

Another example and it's not even the most demanding place:

image.png

Anyway on the graphic part, I just saw this video and yeah it's a looker. Maybe I had back luck on my 2 hours of playtime but some part were rough (at nighttime especially).

Nah that's just an ugly ass texture. But I'll see once I played more.

Ya seems like you for sure have something wrong with your system then dropping that low. Weird as I never dropped to 40(other than the 2 spots in my cutscene issues. And I feel like I always gett bad luck with Ubisoft titles haha.

Easily one of the most performant games when delivering these visuals. I don't find that texture bad at all especially as I look for them in games, but each to their own really.
Wonder if its a hyper-threading thing for some and hopefully, they get a driver for folks having issues. I bring that up because we get that sometimes.

EDIT: FYI for me the low textures I noted were in some of the human habitats. But other than nothing them they don't impact me as most won't be staring at them. Versus say the tree one you don't like which is more often.

And thanks for the data! Thats interesting stuff.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Ya seems like you for sure have something wrong with your system then dropping that low. Weird as I never dropped to 40(other than the 2 spots in my cutscene issues. And I feel like I always gett bad luck with Ubisoft titles haha.

Easily one of the most performant games when delivering these visuals. I don't find that texture bad at all especially as I look for them in games, but each to their own really.
Wonder if its a hyperthreading thing for some and hopefully, they get a driver for folks having issues. I bring that up because we get that sometimes.
James Franco Reaction GIF

Did you not watch the 2 videos? They are very VERY close to what I have performance wise so my system is all good. But on the other han I can't find a single person who run the game at constant 60FPS at native 4K. Let alone 80+.

image.png

image.png

graywolf323

I watched 4 or 5 reviews. ACG really liked it. Dreamcast Guy didn't (gave it a 6). A few others were 7 to 8.

edit: I see the metacritic is around 69% now. Not good.
I’m sure if I had any fondness for the Avatar IP this would be much more interesting as a day 1 buy but I’ll just wait for it to get to 50-75%
No steam?

Venom 2 Reaction GIF by Venom Movie
yeah but when it does eventually come to Steam we can pick it up for 70% off 😛

Topher

Gold Member
Is it total war in the game? Or just small uprising here and there on the planet? I know in the movie it was basically just a mining outpost. Didn't the whole conflict start when some climate protestor Navi vandalized a bulldozer? If they just found a different place to hang out in they could enjoy a supple share of the mineral extraction wealth. They really made a big deal out of it though.

Doesn’t matter. None of it equates to terrorism.

Would you invite an invasion force to come into your country simply because there is a "supple share of the mineral extraction wealth", whatever that mineral might be? No...you would not. You would make a "big deal of it".

Last edited:

Karak

James Franco Reaction GIF

Did you not watch the 2 videos? They are very VERY close to what I have performance wise so my system is all good. But on the other han I can't find a single person who run the game at constant 60FPS at native 4K. Let alone 80+.

image.png

image.png
Didnt you say you were dropping to 40? Because we have streams right now with folks at 4k not dropping to 40 and showing settings though. I assume someones turned long distance decals up either post or prior to day 0 patch. But thats beyond me as I think also drivers may have popped and I know they patched so I don't know better or worse what it is. So I am not sure so to me its a point they need to fix.

But concerning this bad texture is it this one on this tree? Because from an art direction standpoint and not JUST showing the texture alone, its a pretty good flowing design for the underside of a bio tree like that. IMO. As a complete structure
NEDMUPE.jpg

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Didnt you say you were dropping to 40? Because we have streams right now with folks at 4k not dropping to 40 and showing settings though. I assume someones turned long distance decals up either post or prior to day 0 patch. But thats beyond me as I think also drivers may have popped and I know they patched so I don't know better or worse what it is. So I am not sure so to me its a point they need to fix.
I do drop to 40FPS when looking at the first base/hub whatever they call it, and frequently to 50/55 FPS on dense forest too. All settings maxed out and no upscaling and I can't find a single person who run the game at least at 60FPS native with no drops as you can see in every video who bench the game (and not the benchmark, but actual gameplay). So I'm really confused it you have some people who can run this at 80+FPS maxed out no upscaling. Something is not adding up here.

About these textures, yeah, overall it's not a problem. I just think they stand out from the rest of the game. And these trees too...

Karak

I do drop to 40FPS when looking at the first base/hub whatever they call it, and frequently to 50/55 FPS on dense forest too. All settings maxed out and no upscaling and I can't find a single person who run the game at least at 60FPS native with no drops as you can see in every video who bench the game (and not the benchmark, but actual gameplay). So I'm really confused it you have some people who can run this at 80+FPS maxed out no upscaling. Something is not adding up here.

About these textures, yeah, overall it's not a problem. I just think they stand out from the rest of the game. And these trees too...

Those...are terrible and I also never saw that or maybe had it. Not sure if its a loading bug(had that on clothes) but that looks odd as fuck for the branch lol.
Ya I firmly don't disbelieve anyone on this stuff. Working on reviews this long I have seen the WILDEST variations in stuff and found out it was hyperthreading on off, or scatter detail or fucking Ubisoft clouds in AC(I think that ate 10fps on ultra from high lol). Well as long as they had proper speed on storage for a streaming engine like this. I did most of mine with most settings highest and some down a tick. I also raised the FOV a bit.

It's an odd one but like I said I don't even bat an eye anymore lol. Ok I do at those trees.
Oh I guess one thing now too is that folks are leaping to one of the upscaling techs and so aren't playing native anymore anyway now that I think about it. Even those who maybe got good fps in one section.

Last edited:
A reminder of how this franchise landed at Ubisoft again:

Central Europe, broken staff, cokehead CEO - that's Crytek for sure lmao

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Those...are terrible and I also never saw that or maybe had it. Not sure if its a loading bug(had that on clothes) but that looks odd as fuck for the branch lol.
Ya I firmly dont disbelieve anyone on this stuff. Working on reviews this long I have seen the WILDEST variations in stuff and found out it was hyperthreading on off, or scatter detail or fucking ubisoft clouds in AC(I think that ate 10fps on ultra from high lol). Well as long as they had proper speed on storage for a streaming engine like this.

Its an odd one but like I said I don't even bat an eye anymore lol. Ok I do at those trees.
I'm currently trying to mess with Resizable BAR to see if it's changes something but yeah I agree, I've been playing on PC for 20 years and it's like a living organism with it's own will haha.
For these trees, just climb any tree and you will see them.

Karak

I'm currently trying to mess with Resizable BAR to see if it's changes something but yeah I agree, I've been playing on PC for 20 years and it's like a living organism with it's own will haha.
I also think that someone gets good fps(to them) then runs one of the upscalers to get better. So that's why I say I do believe the benchmarks(though I dont know every bit of their system)
I dont mess with rebar but that does ya change things.

I normally dont look for branches but now I will be

Im regretting giving my 65 inch mini led tv to my Dad for free. This would have looked beautiful on it..

Going to rent this through gamefly, cant wait to play it.

Karak

Found one! They aren't in all the ecosystems so I was in the wrong part of the world completely. As you saw in the trailer some insane locations. Mine isn't as weirdly low res or edgy but I found some hanging from the branches of another tree branch. Wind movement decals(to show more wind movement).
Christ it felt like trying to find waldo in this world.

Last edited:
Top Bottom