• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora PC vs PS5 Graphics, Optimised Settings, FSR 3 Breakdown

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

In our final video for Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora, Alex Battaglia goes into more depth on the scalability of the game, tests out the improved-but-still-flawed FSR 3 implementation then dives deeply into optimised settings, where - as usual - the PlayStation 5 version of the game offers up a bunch of suggestions in retaining visual quality while ramping up frame-rates.

00:00:00 Introduction
00:01:00 User Experience, Graphics Menu and More
00:03:59 Unobtanium Settings
00:06:45 Software Ray Tracing vs. Hardware Ray Tracing
00:08:09 FSR3 Frame Generation VRR Support?
00:10:27 FSR3 vs DLSS
00:13:01 PS5 Performance Mode vs PC + Optimised Settings
00:22:13 Conclusion

Last edited:

adamsapple

6RJKry3.png

adamsapple

-Wow, PC looks so much better.

-Cool, which settings should I use?

-Use the console settings.

Yeah yeah, optimized settings and all, but it's always a bit funny.

Well .. yeah ... you won't be able to run the unobtanium settings on a midrange GPU. That's the whole point of the optimized settings segment of the video.

With DF, why is it always a PS5 face off with the PC? Wouldn't the Series X be a better benchmark in terms of "The Worlds Most Powerful Console".

He doesn't have an Xbox, he uses footage from others like Oliver or Tom when making a PC comparison for an Xbox-console only game like Forza.

Last edited:

sendit

Well .. yeah ... you won't be able to run the unobtanium settings on a midrange GPU. That's the whole point of the optimized settings segment of the video.

He doesn't have an Xbox, he uses footage from others like Oliver or Tom when making a PC comparison for an Xbox-console only game like Forza.
Horrible excuse. The man is a video game journalist....I'm sure DF takes in enough profits to supply this individual with an Xbox.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Horrible excuse. The man is a video game journalist....I'm sure DF takes in enough profits to supply this individual with an Xbox.

Ok, but in this case both the consoles have pretty much visual parity so it wouldn't make a difference, DRS is slightly higher on SX in Quality mode but he doesn't touch on Quality mode in the video.

Kind of a moot point.

JaksGhost

With DF, why is it always a PS5 face off with the PC? Wouldn't the Series X be a better benchmark in terms of "The Worlds Most Powerful Console".
I always found that strange but I’ve narrowed it down to A. PlayStation and PC review codes being primarily sent out and B. PlayStation comparisons receive more traffic.

Last edited:
The optimized console-equivalent settings are very useful because there's now a huge band of GPUs across multiple generations that delivers that PS5-esque performance (1080Ti,2070,3060,4060,V64,5700XT/6600XT/7600/A770 not including bins).
Now that I have a PC I can use this myself. Set it to console and then push it beyond, if I can.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Pretty decent showing for the consoles. There's a lot of RT in this game and the PS5 keeps up with an RTX 2070S when in Watch_Dogs Legion, it was getting outperformed by a 2060S in RT mode.

The low level optimizations and offloading parts of the BVH building to the CPU on consoles take some load off the GPU. Mesh shaders are nice to have but I'm not sure what difference they make here.

Also, not that big of a fan of PC not having DSR. 1440p DLSS Quality has an internal res of 720p and that's incredibly low. This is where the PS5 bottoms out at and it can go as high as 1260p according to Tom. Under these circumstances, I'd rather my resolution goes up to 1260p than my fps to 70.

Last edited:

twilo99

What does "against PC" even mean... which PC?

If they can build a PC for $500 then I would be interested, but comparing a mobile zen2 CPU with a mediocre GPU against even a low end PC is just stupid.

If they wanted to compare a "PC" to a series X they will have to build one for $350 ... good luck with that

Gaiff

A mid-range one with a 2070S and Ryzen 3600.
If they can build a PC for $500 then I would be interested, but comparing a mobile zen2 CPU with a mediocre GPU against even a low end PC is just stupid.
That's what the majority of people have. Either a console or low to mid-range PC.

Kataploom

Gold Member
The optimized console-equivalent settings are very useful because there's now a huge band of GPUs across multiple generations that delivers that PS5-esque performance (1080Ti,2070,3060,4060,V64,5700XT/6600XT/7600/A770 not including bins).
And that's only for graphics, those PC will have a substantially better CPU and so there won't be a bottleneck there, most people with mid range GPU can make sure their games will run well unless it's TLOU level of fiasco.

If they wanted to compare a "PC" to a series X they will have to build one for $350 ... good luck with that
Imagine you have a PS5,
Now I make a video called Series S settings breakdown compared to PS5.
Are you able to play the game on your PS5? Do I have to have a PS5 that costs the same as a Series S?

Pick a PC, ANY PC.
Can you play the game with these settings? Does it look and play as good? Is anything missing? Did you just waste a ton of money buying a PC?
These are the questions that should be asked. ( I just bought a PC and I'm asking)

Consoles are getting some new concepts like graphic settings, Performance, Quality, whatever.

Now PC gets a setting called Console. It's a new concept, here is what it looks like on a console if you use these settings.

I may be wrong but I think that is the point of these types of videos.

Xyphie

Or you could get a A750 for $190 (with a $40 game even) that will be roughly equivalent to that 2070S. Imagine having to be such a bad faith actor that you have to pick a specific 5-year old end-of-life GPU.

T4keD0wN

Theyre not comparing the hardware, they are comparing the software.

yamaci17

dont try to argue, even if a similar hardware pc costs 2x, it will have maybe multiple times more benefit for people who are into it. they will never be able to understand that
even if you magically get a pc that costs same or less with same hardware, they'd then just move the goalpost to "comfort driver update crash tv" bla bla it never ends with them, they never discuss in good faith, don't even bother

Zathalus

The CPU is $110 on Newegg and the GPU:

Still gotta add RAM, power supply, case, SSD...

Not even close.
I'm not exactly sure what your point is here? PCs are more expensive then consoles? That's not exactly news to literally anyone.

Alex compares console versions up against roughly the same performing PC class hardware (as well as several others). He makes no claim on what the components cost, nor should he. Should he preface every video with a list of the advantages/disadvantages of both? Maybe throw a Mac comparison in there as well?

Gaiff

The CPU is $110 on Newegg and the GPU:

Still gotta add RAM, power supply, case, SSD...

Not even close.
WTF price got to do with this?

And this is a discontinued GPU that's 5 years old. That's why you see at those prices on Newegg. They don't have inventory of this anymore.

The newer and comparable (actually better) 6700 XT and RTX 4060 are $300 on Newegg.

vpUbvYa.png

0c8kTe8.png

The point is that those PCs have specs in the ballpark of consoles and can offer a similar experience. Of course, consoles are cheaper and they'll always be. That's one of their main appeals. Never mind the fact that the budget market on PC has been destroyed by greedy tactics. At this point, console-level GPUs should be $150-200, not $300.

Denton

He is getting more and more pathetic with these videos.
That would be you, actually

Also, it is always amusing to see console fanboy morons get so insecure whenever one of these videos come out

"look, PC GPUs cost more! Nobody should play on PC!"

Last edited:

Gaiff

Man, imagine the utopia Gaf would turn into if this applied to everyone for every thread on here.
This obsession with Alex is just weird lol. You have guys coming into DF threads to say they didn't watch the video and shit on them. Thanks I guess?

Last edited:

twilo99

WTF price got to do with this?

And this is a discontinued GPU that's 5 years old. That's why you see at those prices on Newegg. They don't have inventory of this anymore.

The newer and comparable (actually better) 6700 XT and RTX 4060 are $300 on Newegg.

vpUbvYa.png

0c8kTe8.png

The point is that those PCs have specs in the ballpark of consoles and can offer a similar experience. Of course, consoles are cheaper and they'll always be. That's one of their main appeals. Never mind the fact that the budget market on PC has been destroyed by greedy tactics. At this point, console-level GPUs should be $150-200, not $300.

You mentioned the 2070s so I just looked it up.

What is the point in comparing a $500 dollar gaming machine to a much more expensive one? To prove that the more expensive option is better? Amazing insight really.

Denton

I will spell it out for the resident console fanboy morons:

THIS VIDEO IS NOT FOR YOU. IT IS FOR PEOPLE WITH MIDRANGE PCs TO FIND OUT WHAT SETTINGS TO USE FOR OPTIMAL PERFORMANCE AND VISUALS.

There. You can stop being triggered and fuck off.

What is the point in comparing a $500 dollar gaming machine to a much more expensive one? To prove that the more expensive option is better? Amazing insight really.

See above.

Last edited:
Top Bottom