• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Audiophile GAF

fatty

What do you guys use for your source audio?

In the past my preference has always been to buy the physical CD and then rip it using EAC (Exact Audio Copy) but using the compressed MP3 rip instead of FLAC. For me at the time, MP3 was good enough and I find it still fine. I am also buying digital much more often and my choice for convenience has been Amazon.

But maybe I’m missing something and wanted to get others’ thoughts.

Last edited:

In the past my preference has always been to buy the physical CD and then rip it using EAC (Exact Audio Copy) but using the compressed MP3 rip instead of FLAC. For me at the time, MP3 was good enough and I find it still fine. I am also buying digital much more often and my choice for convenience has been Amazon.

I have an onkyo cd player (rarely use), mainly listen to mp3s (most 320kbps, as like you thats fine for me) on my raspberry pi and vinyl on my rega planar 1.

Chittagong

Gold Member

At home - Tidal Masters over ethernet to Cambridge Audio 851N, from there digitally over AES/EBU to Schiit Yggdrasil DAC, from there balanced XLR to Schiit Ragnarok amps.

At holiday home - Tidal Masters over wifi to NAD C658 streamer DAC, from there balanced XLR to Sennheiser HDV-820 amp.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Typically streaming from Apple Music, Flac files with Foobar, or vinyl. Streaming takes up the majority of my listening. Flac for critical listening. Vinyl for when I want that sound profile / critical listening.

Why wouldn't you use flac or wav when storage space costs pence per GB? Even if you can't take full advantage of it with your current setup at least you'll be ready if you upgrade in the future.

For background music I use tidal masters and vinyl for when I want to listen "properly" as it were.

kevm3

Yggdrasil DAC > Moon 430 HAD

Also, Focal Clear headphones. They are better than the LCD 3s, LCD X and I even prefer them over Focal Utopias. Utopia was more detailed, but was too bright for me. I Much prefer the balance of the Clears. They are the best headphones I've heard period.

fatty

Why wouldn't you use flac or wav when storage space costs pence per GB? Even if you can't take full advantage of it with your current setup at least you'll be ready if you upgrade in the future.

For background music I use tidal masters and vinyl for when I want to listen "properly" as it were.

Good question. I have quite a few CDs and when I started ripping them (long ago) storage was quite a bit more. So now I don’t want to take the time to go back and re-rip them all which would take days.

It’s weird. Right when plasma TVs started to become affordable for the mass market I did so much research and settled on an awesome Panasonic. I wanted a nice home theater setup with nice surround sound system and display. Yet while I get older I find myself satisfied with watching movies from my ipad for the convenience.

I still appreciate great audio and video quality but I don’t consume as much media as I used to and many times when I do it is in bed before falling asleep for the night.

A nice set of headphones will do wonders and I love listening this way I just don’t as often anymore. But I would love to hear the difference with my current best setup (Philips X2 Fidelio headphones hooked up to my computer or HT receiver w/ CD player) to some of the setups mentioned here where you are using DACs and amps just to see what I’m missing.

Good question. I have quite a few CDs and when I started ripping them (long ago) storage was quite a bit more. So now I don’t want to take the time to go back and re-rip them all which would take days.

It’s weird. Right when plasma TVs started to become affordable for the mass market I did so much research and settled on an awesome Panasonic. I wanted a nice home theater setup with nice surround sound system and display. Yet while I get older I find myself satisfied with watching movies from my ipad for the convenience.

I still appreciate great audio and video quality but I don’t consume as much media as I used to and many times when I do it is in bed before falling asleep for the night.

A nice set of headphones will do wonders and I love listening this way I just don’t as often anymore. But I would love to hear the difference with my current best setup (Philips X2 Fidelio headphones hooked up to my computer or HT receiver w/ CD player) to some of the setups mentioned here where you are using DACs and amps just to see what I’m missing.
Fair point. Many moons ago I had a kodak MC3 mp3 player that used compact flash cards for storage and the biggest I could afford was 32mb so I ripped my music in FM quality in order to fit more on for my daily walk to work.

Do you have a local hifi dealer? If so you could find out what brands they stock and arrange a demo on the pretense of looking into a new system. Be warned though, it may have you checking your finances and possibly selling some body parts in order to keep what you now can't unhear. It's an expensive hobby, but worth it.

Vinyl, and CD then I will stream with Tidal and run Flacs if I have the files. Music is a very physical thing for me.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Any recommendation for something similar to Koss porta pro? I like it's light weight and amazing open but full warm sound. Great for games.
Immerses you in the game since you forget about wearing it but also still can hear doorbell.

I like to check for new options or even wireless stuff every now and then but always stock with Koss.
Any interesting new stuff? Ofc to be paired with ps5 controller so no 300ohm stuff.

If anything, I highly recommend porta pro and will have to get 2nd pair probably haha just to be safe for apocalypse

down 2 orth

Alright, I know this thread is for the high-end experience, but please bear with me.

I'm in the market for a sound system to go with my LG CX and maybe something that will go with a PS5 in the future. Unfortunately, I'm an audio layman, so any guidance would be highly appreciated.

So my questions: My roommate yesterday showed me a link for this JBL Cinema 610 that is on a steep discount (here's the link.) Should I pull the trigger on this or wait for something better to come up on Black Friday? And if I do wait for Black Friday, what should I be on the lookout for?

Thanks in advance!

Alright, I know this thread is for the high-end experience, but please bear with me.

I'm in the market for a sound system to go with my LG CX and maybe something that will go with a PS5 in the future. Unfortunately, I'm an audio layman, so any guidance would be highly appreciated.

So my questions: My roommate yesterday showed me a link for this JBL Cinema 610 that is on a steep discount (here's the link.) Should I pull the trigger on this or wait for something better to come up on Black Friday? And if I do wait for Black Friday, what should I be on the lookout for?

Thanks in advance!
Welcome down 2 orth down 2 orth Its for all people who like music (and surround sound), and appreciate setups, my system is no where near high end, but it is to improve my experience and allow me to enjoy my passions further than the default options.

Before jumping in buying speakers, how will you drive them? Do you have a receiver? Also what will they be used for, just surround or music as well?

Whilst it seems a good deal (JBL make some good stuff), the speakers are only 4 ohm, making it harder to drive so amp selection would have to be careful. It also makes no reference to their sensitivity (the higher this is the less power you need).

If it was me, I would be aiming for better speakers. If funding is tight, then you could buy speakers in stages, starting with front L and R, then add a centre, then get rears, with a sub being added at any time (also subs in packages are usually pretty poor and can be easily bettered by buying separate, e.g. svs or xtz, or BK if you were UK based). If you go this route though you must make sure the front speakers all match, i.e. are from the same range, otherwise they will unlikely match sound wise and could ruin your experience.

If you want to use them for stereo music, then I would definitely be looking at better front L and R speakers, these do not have to break the bank, as you can get good speakers pretty cheap these days, also you could consider second hand to get even more bang for your buck.

Assuming you are in the US, I would look at monoprice for some cheap gear that is getting great reviews, like their thx speakers and their subs are deemed to be bargains over here in the UK.

If you are US based, I would suggest having a look at avsforums (US based), if they are like avforums (UK based) they will give you plenty of help.

If you have any questions just ask.

down 2 orth

Welcome down 2 orth down 2 orth Its for all people who like music (and surround sound), and appreciate setups, my system is no where near high end, but it is to improve my experience and allow me to enjoy my passions further than the default options.

Before jumping in buying speakers, how will you drive them? Do you have a receiver? Also what will they be used for, just surround or music as well?

Whilst it seems a good deal (JBL make some good stuff), the speakers are only 4 ohm, making it harder to drive so amp selection would have to be careful. It also makes no reference to their sensitivity (the higher this is the less power you need).

If it was me, I would be aiming for better speakers. If funding is tight, then you could buy speakers in stages, starting with front L and R, then add a centre, then get rears, with a sub being added at any time (also subs in packages are usually pretty poor and can be easily bettered by buying separate, e.g. svs or xtz, or BK if you were UK based). If you go this route though you must make sure the front speakers all match, i.e. are from the same range, otherwise they will unlikely match sound wise and could ruin your experience.

If you want to use them for stereo music, then I would definitely be looking at better front L and R speakers, these do not have to break the bank, as you can get good speakers pretty cheap these days, also you could consider second hand to get even more bang for your buck.

Assuming you are in the US, I would look at monoprice for some cheap gear that is getting great reviews, like their thx speakers and their subs are deemed to be bargains over here in the UK.

If you are US based, I would suggest having a look at avsforums (US based), if they are like avforums (UK based) they will give you plenty of help.

If you have any questions just ask.

Thanks for taking the time to make a solid answer. I'll start checking out avsforums and monoprice, and think about taking the incremental purchase route.

Woffls

Just ordered a pair of Dali Opticon 8 floorstanders :messenger_hushed: got them for £400 cheaper than they've been for quite some time, and they've now been delisted from the website so must have been the last ones. I've already got Opticon 2 and Vokal so it made sense to complete the setup while they're still available. Got a BK Gemini Mk2 sub in there which I'll probably use to take the 30-50Hz loads and save a bit of power.

Got to figure out amplification now. I'm looking to replace my 2009 Sony AVR with the Denon X4700 so hopefully that will be enough to power those five 4ohm speakers at not-particularly-loud volumes without clipping. If it doesn't sound right, I'll get a power amp, but I'm a bit confused about the Denon pre-oot situation. I can't use internal and external amplification at the same time? So I'd need power amps on every channel and just use the AVR as pre/pro?

Just ordered a pair of Dali Opticon 8 floorstanders :messenger_hushed: got them for £400 cheaper than they've been for quite some time, and they've now been delisted from the website so must have been the last ones. I've already got Opticon 2 and Vokal so it made sense to complete the setup while they're still available. Got a BK Gemini Mk2 sub in there which I'll probably use to take the 30-50Hz loads and save a bit of power.

Got to figure out amplification now. I'm looking to replace my 2009 Sony AVR with the Denon X4700 so hopefully that will be enough to power those five 4ohm speakers at not-particularly-loud volumes without clipping. If it doesn't sound right, I'll get a power amp, but I'm a bit confused about the Denon pre-oot situation. I can't use internal and external amplification at the same time? So I'd need power amps on every channel and just use the AVR as pre/pro?
Nice setup. The 4700 has quite a bit of power, should be ok if in 5.1 setup, with a sub taking care of bottom end. Pretty sure denon let you use preouts and internal amps at same time, as its common for people to just use a power amp on front two or three.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Be sure to post pics when they are set-up & post your impressions of them.

Woffls

I also saw the 4700 specs saying it could convert analogue video to digital and upscale over HDMI. Really hope that's true, because it's an amazing feature for people like me who want to hold on to retro consoles and don't have space for a CRT.

Nice setup. The 4700 has quite a bit of power, should be ok if in 5.1 setup, with a sub taking care of bottom end. Pretty sure denon let you use preouts and internal amps at same time, as its common for people to just use a power amp on front two or three.
I think I've just figured out where I was confused. It's possible to assign FL FR as pre-out, but it doesn't turn off the amplification because other channels share the same power supply. I was only concerned about that because apparently there's clipping at high voltages on pre-amp outs unless the AVR amp is turned off entirely. Not too worried about that, to be honest. If I'm driving that kind of sustained power into my fronts, it will be for 2ch music anyway.

e:
found this comment on ASR; looks like you're right (y) It's essentially a completely different feature from pre-amp mode.
"The X4700H has a pre-amp mode that disconnect all 9 channels of the internal power amps. If you only want to disconnect the FL and FR channels then you can use the amp assign feature. Otherwise, if you use the pre-amp mode then it will disconnect all channels.

Be sure to post pics when they are set-up & post your impressions of them.
Will do! Might be a while as I'm still waiting for my mortgage offer, then I need to move and get everything set up. I won't be doing proper wiring (banana terminal plates, mounting TV etc) until I've settled on my components, so initial photos will be all this gear next to a shitty old Ikea cabinet :messenger_tears_of_joy:

e: each speaker was delivered separately; very strange. ordered the 4700 arriving tomorrow because the speakers are just standing there and im bored of looking at them

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Well, I caved. I ordered a pair of Kef Q150 speakers for my desk set-up. The wife wants to upgrade her speakers from a pair of shitty Logitech speakers. I'll give her my M-Audio Av40s and replace them with the Kefs. Had to pickup a small form-factor amp as well, since the AV40s are active and the Q150s are passive. Wound up going for the Audioengine N22 as it seems to be praised frequently.

I just wish I had an easy way to integrate Airplay into the system since I can't select my MacBook as a play option from my iPhone.

Last edited:
I've got a pair of fidelio X2HRs on the way (christmas present from mrs), grabbed them on amazon on a good offer (£105), for some better listening seeing as still working from home.

Just looking for a dac/amp combo instead of my shitty work laptop headphone port. Not wanting to spend loads, looking to max of £150. Currently looking at zen dac, zen hip dac, topping dx3pro, fiio e10k, k3 and k5 pro. Anyone have any views on these or any suggestions.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I've got a pair of fidelio X2HRs on the way (christmas present from mrs), grabbed them on amazon on a good offer (£105), for some better listening seeing as still working from home.

Just looking for a dac/amp combo instead of my shitty work laptop headphone port. Not wanting to spend loads, looking to max of £150. Currently looking at zen dac, zen hip dac, topping dx3pro, fiio e10k, k3 and k5 pro. Anyone have any views on these or any suggestions.

I have the FiiO E10k. It gets the job done, but I much prefer the Schiit Modi & Magni combo. I've read nothing but good things about Topping. If I was in the EU that would most likely be my starting point for a DAC/Amp combo.

I have the FiiO E10k. It gets the job done, but I much prefer the Schiit Modi & Magni combo. I've read nothing but good things about Topping. If I was in the EU that would most likely be my starting point for a DAC/Amp combo.
I do like the schiit, but a bit too much and was hoping for a combo.

The topping is probably top of my list so far, just a bit wary of reliability issues.

While I'm not necessarily a fan of Crinacle's, his review of the Sennheiser HE-1 gives me life:

Maybe one day I will be rich enough that I can buy those headphones without immense regret/guilt.
Fuck me..... They best massage your head and give you a blow job for that price.

How much would the gear needed to drive them cost?

QSD

I wouldn't call myself an audiophile but I do have some "audiophile" equipment.

I own a Project Debut Carbon Esprit record player. I hesitate to call it a turntable because in my mind turntables have pitch/speed control and are used for mixing. I still own a lot of records (1000+) that I used to DJ with (so quite a few of them are not in especially pristine condition) so that's my primary source. Everything goes through my PC though, most of the time I'll listen while browsing so it goes through my RME 9632 soundcard (this is a PCI card which should tell you something about how old it is, and also how durable) and comes out through a pair of Event Tuned Reference 8 monitor speakers. (I have this because I produce music/design sounds as a hobby). In the living room I have a pair of racing red KEF LS50's hooked up to an old Sony amp my parents gave me. Headphones are AKG K240 studio.

QSD

why not a (stealth brag) pic

8Via1nH.jpg

QSD

Temporary setup to run in the speakers before i move out into my own place. These things are beasts. Not cranked it yet because i have been monitoring amp temps... but soon.

Bose stuff is, of course, my fathers 🙄

pic looks like those speakers have a trapezium shape footprint or is that just the perspective?

Temporary setup to run in the speakers before i move out into my own place. These things are beasts. Not cranked it yet because i have been monitoring amp temps... but soon.
3wAnsZD.jpg

Are they the Dali's you ordered? Bet you cant wait get to that amp pushing them speakers. Bet the gemini feels a bit small now, you need the xxls-400 or the beastly monolith to match the rest of the kit.

Woffls

Are they the Dali's you ordered? Bet you cant wait get to that amp pushing them speakers. Bet the gemini feels a bit small now, you need the xxls-400 or the beastly monolith to match the rest of the kit.
yeah thats them. would like to crank them soon so i can determine if i need a power amp. liking the Nords as an option but i need to do more research on input sensitivity.

gemini is still in another setup with a mini hifi and zensor 1s on my desk, but i’m sure it will struggle in a big setup. room is probably 13’ x 20’ with a 13^2 listening space so will have to see how the sub handles 30-50hz.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
3wAnsZD.jpg

That placement triggers the fuck out of me.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I need to mess around some more with my speaker placement in the living room. I feel like I can better imaging if I nail it.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
My new Kef Q150s & the Audioengine N22 are here. First impression is very positive. Only complaint so far is the headphone output on the N22 sounds like shit compared to the Magni. I am leaving the Magni in place for headphone audio.

Current set-up is: PC & MacBook -> Modi DAC -> Magni -> N22 -> Q150

I need to get a good, small sub for my desktop set-up to be complete I think.

QvX2fFa.png

Pardon my messy desk, still getting things squared away.

Last edited:
My new Kef Q150s & the Audioengine N22 are here. First impression is very positive. Only complaint so far is the headphone output on the N22 sounds like shit compared to the Magni. I am leaving the Magni in place for headphone audio.

Current set-up is: PC & MacBook -> Modi DAC -> Magni -> N22 -> Q150

I need to get a good, small sub for my desktop set-up to be complete I think.

QvX2fFa.png

Pardon my messy desk, still getting things squared away.
Them kefs are 😍

CZY

I have a Bose Soundwear neckroll thing that I wear at work, which does NOT sound good if anyone was wondering, and then in my car I have:
Aftermarket Alpine head unit
Alpine R-Series component woofers & tweeters (4 of each)
JL Audio 10” W1v3 series sub in ported box (1)
Rockford Fosgate P300X1 amp
JL Audio JD 400/4 amp
With extensive sound dampening. This does sound good. Very interested in adding a DSP to this setup but won’t be for a while.

Tschumi

My headphones are beoplay h9s.. i like them a lot, but their Bluetooth is getting janky.. i wonder if a reset might unscramble them...

Woffls

How much do i actually need to care about input sensitivity when pairing pre and power amps? assuming no switch or gain control.

My headphones are beoplay h9s.. i like them a lot, but their Bluetooth is getting janky.. i wonder if a reset might unscramble them...
BT is janky anyway because of wifi signals sharing 2.4GHz spectrum. Could be interference.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
How much do i actually need to care about input sensitivity when pairing pre and power amps? assuming no switch or gain control.

I'm no expert here, but as I understand it, best case is to use gear from the same manufacturer, in the same series to ensure the best sound.

I was interested in this topic as well, as my current PC set-up has my audio signal going through the Schiit Magni (as pre-amp) to the Audioengine N22 (as amp). I'm getting great sound out of this chain, but was clueless as to where to set the audio level knob on the Magni. (Seems 25% - 75% volume is best, which is where it's at)

Some items on the topic:
As a general rule, the lower the output impedance is, the better it will drive difficult loads. And, the higher the input impedance is the less difficult it is to drive. A good example of a happy situation is a preamp with an output impedance below 1000 ohms driving an amplifier with an input impedance of 100,000 ohms.

When matching preamps to power amps, a general rule of thumb is for the load (amp) input impedance to be at least 10 times higher than the source (preamp) output impedance to provide a suitably flat frequency response. Many prefer using a minimum ratio closer to 20 to 1, or having an amp with input impedance 20 times or more greater than the preamp output impedance.

Top Bottom