• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Audiophile GAF

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
If I'm mostly into rock/metal, what "sound" should I be looking for? Obviously there are personal preferences and a bazillion possibilities in the source/amp/speaker pipeline, but other than "AS LOUD AS FUCKING POSSIBLE" turned to 11, are there generally agreed upon categories of output for each genre? Most of the high end audiophile stuff I've read/watched seems overly focused on jazz, soloists, crooners, classical music, etc, which makes sense, but if I want to pick out every note in Dragonforce, the deep bass chunks in Iron Maiden, the high operatic notes of Nightwish, is there a category/manufacturer of sound equipment I should be considering and some that aren't geared for that kind of music?
I'm not a metalhead but I listen to a lot of punk & rock. There is absolutely audiophile-grade metal though. Tool, for example. Fucked Up is another I've had good listening experience with. TBH, most music coming out today is pretty damn good quality, at least in my experience on Apple Music.

Audiophile to me just means better clarity, for lack of a better word. Each instrument is easily identifiable against the others. You can find their point on the sound stage. I'm not trying to chase "what it was like in the recording studio" by any stretch. Recording, mixing, and mastering have the biggest impact on the quality of the audio. A shit mix is still going to sound shit even on the best set-up. Volume doesn't really enter the equation to me. I tend to listen at nominal or moderate volumes as a means of protecting my hearing as I age. I will, on occasion, crank it up to 11 but it's quite rare these days.

Headphones are easier to learn to critically listen to because they take the room out of the equation. The first revelatory moment for me was being able to hear instrument(s) or sound(s) I was otherwise unable to discern. At a certain point, your ears are trained well enough to pick out each one, so it becomes about how much "distance" or clarity there is among the different sounds. The next big step for me was going to open back headphones. That blew the doors off of sound staging for me. There was suddenly a depth to the music that was previously absent. Then I went toward loudspeakers...

With speakers it becomes more of a full body experience. The sound stage becomes much bigger and no longer is limited to just my inner head and the immediate surrounding area. That gives much more body to the experience. A small portrait painting becomes and 3D landscape hologram in front of me. I imagine a quadrophonic or Atmos set-up would extend the hologram to all-encompassing.

There is absolutely a diminishing return to the audiophile experience. Where that cliff plateaus is up to your preference. I've found the more time spent critically listening (eg giving 100% of my attention to the music), the more I want to dig deeper. 60-80% of my time is spent casually listening. In those cases 320kbps and quality gear is more than enough. But when I want that something extra, I will pull out a chair and get my speakers set-up for an amazing experience.

It's not exactly the most engaging music, but I found the Chesky Records 'Ultimate Demonstration Disc' to be a good learning aid. They specialize in audiophile level music. The Youtube link is below, but for best results, try to get CD quality for it (Apple Music link here, which is available in CD quality; Amazon here, but not entirely sure if they have the lossless version; Tidal here)

A pair of Sennhesier 6XXs from Drop is a great starting point because they are a low cost to entry at $220 and give great results. For some, the diminishing returns are here.

Last edited:
Reading up on records degrading over time and was wondering if anyone had their records wear out? Take a record you play a lot, is it still sounding good, skipping much, etc? It keeps getting brought up a lot on YouTube but is this an actual problem or is it like CD 💿 disc rott that I’ve never had happen to my collection of over 33 years…Assuming all of you take good care of your stuff 😄

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Reading up on records degrading over time and was wondering if anyone had their records wear out? Take a record you play a lot, is it still sounding good, skipping much, etc? It keeps getting brought up a lot on YouTube but is this an actual problem or is it like CD 💿 disc rott that I’ve never had happen to my collection of over 33 years…Assuming all of you take good care of your stuff 😄
I have used records from the 70s that still sound great. One massive reason why I don't collect CDs is the poor lifespan. I imagine all my records will easily outlive me.

CDs are great for sound quality but terrible for longevity. I think I purchased Sublime's 40oz to Freedom at least 5 times on CD over a span of like 10 years. Whenever I pick it up on vinyl will be the last time I need to buy it.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I'm not a metalhead but I listen to a lot of punk & rock. There is absolutely audiophile-grade metal though. Tool, for example.

...Just not the recent album with all the distortion.

I don't know if the vinyl is any better, but their most recent release on digital formats clips a fair amount.

But, I personally think Aenima is an excellently recorded and mixed album, which is what I assume is more the kind of thing you were getting at it. :)

Last edited:
Trying to narrow down on passive speakers and was wondering if anyone had thoughts on these

Klipsch RP-600M Reference Premiere Bookshelf Speakers - Pair (Ebony) $439.00​

Sony SSCS5 3-Way 3-Driver Bookshelf Speaker System (Pair) - Black $198.00​

Polk Monitor XT70 Large Tower Speaker - Hi-Res Audio Certified, Dolby Atmos & DTS:X Compatible, 1" Tweeter, (2) 6.5" Dynamically Balanced Woofers, (2) 8" Passive Radiators, (Single, Midnight Black). $349.00 per speaker​

Trying to decide if I should go bigger on speaker purchase and the use something like

Fosi Audio BT30D Pro TPA3255 Hi-Fi Bluetooth 5.0 Stereo Audio Receiver Amplifier​

Or better receiver and cheaper (but decent) speakers.

Last edited:

Reallink

Trying to narrow down on passive speakers and was wondering if anyone had thoughts on these

Polk Monitor XT70 Large Tower Speaker - Hi-Res Audio Certified, Dolby Atmos & DTS:X Compatible, 1" Tweeter, (2) 6.5" Dynamically Balanced Woofers, (2) 8" Passive Radiators, (Single, Midnight Black). $349.00 per speaker​

Trying to decide if I should go bigger on speaker purchase and the use something like

Fosi Audio BT30D Pro TPA3255 Hi-Fi Bluetooth 5.0 Stereo Audio Receiver Amplifier​

I would suggest looking into the JBL Stage A130 which is presently $199/pair on Crutchfield. They're unbeatable at this price

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Those Klipsch are really well regarded from what I've read. No experience with any of them on my end though. They were my second pick after I wound up with the Kefs I picked up. If you don't go too far down the audiophile rabbit hole, those could be lifetime speakers.

I've not used the amp either but the few bits of feedback I read seem positive for the price. Not a bad starting piece of gear. At ~$100, you won't even need to feel bad if you upgrade down the line.

Those Klipsch are really well regarded from what I've read. No experience with any of them on my end though. They were my second pick after I wound up with the Kefs I picked up. If you don't go too far down the audiophile rabbit hole, those could be lifetime speakers.

I've not used the amp either but the few bits of feedback I read seem positive for the price. Not a bad starting piece of gear. At ~$100, you won't even need to feel bad if you upgrade down the line.
Went with the Klipsch RP-600m speakers & Fosi Audio BT30D Pro amp. Decided why the hell not and just get the speakers I really want. Still have to find CD player and TT. There is a big flea market in town this weekend. Considering getting a classic player while looking for CDs and Records. I’ll have to see what I can find and go from there.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Went with the Klipsch RP-600m speakers & Fosi Audio BT30D Pro amp. Decided why the hell not and just get the speakers I really want. Still have to find CD player and TT. There is a big flea market in town this weekend. Considering getting a classic player while looking for CDs and Records. I’ll have to see what I can find and go from there.
Biggest thing to look for on a turntable IMO is a counterweight. That’s your cue it can handle various cartridges.

Best of luck and keep us posted on what you find. I’m also curious to hear your thoughts on your setup. Happy to give tips on speaker placement and whatever else you need man. Congrats!

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Anybody have thoughts on the Emotiva t2+ towers? I'm looking to replace my old budget pioneer towers for my home theater and these emotivas came on my radar. They are pretty cheap right now. 699 for the pair.

Anybody have thoughts on the Emotiva t2+ towers? I'm looking to replace my old budget pioneer towers for my home theater and these emotivas came on my radar. They are pretty cheap right now. 699 for the pair.
If you're US based have a look at monoprice, they get excellent reviews for home theatre use.

If the towers are front L and R, you should really change centre as well so it is from same range.

iXCVCxr.jpg

4mm thick DIY OFC wire with plugs. I made isolation just in case, so plugs wouldn't touch - better be safe than sorry. They also go a bit to the sides.

Just testing stuff.

Check out the saxx - 1981 funk/groove track. It sounds so warm, has a big presence and it just sticks out so good, separation is nuts.

I almost fell of my chair. Yesterday.

Sounds so good, I wouldn't get mad if they sampled it for some 2023 summer track 🤣.

Last edited:
After weeks of pouring over videos and reviews on a set up I went with the following and ordered them…locked in! Supposed to arrive by next weekend…

Fluance RT81 Elite High Fidelity Vinyl Turntable Record Player with Audio Technica AT95E Cartridge, Belt Drive, Built-in Preamp, Adjustable Counterweight, High Mass MDF Wood Plinth - Piano Black ($249.00)​

Onkyo C-7030 Home Audio CD Player - Black ($249.00)​

Klipsch RP-600M Reference Premiere Bookshelf Speakers - Pair (Ebony) ($439.00)​

Fosi Audio BT30D Pro TPA3255 Hi-Fi Bluetooth 5.0 Stereo Audio Receiver Amplifier 2.1 Channel Mini Class D Integrated Amp 165 Watt x2+350 Watt for Home Outdoor Desktop Bookshelf Speakers/Subwoofers ($109.99)​

In total: $1,046.99 + tax…. Wasn’t sure if I was gonna get to this point but the Mrs. said go for it so I tried to cover all my bases and leave a little room for upgrades in the years to come. I’m pretty excited now that I get to turn my attention to finding records and CDs to build up the home library.
Any tips about the setup I’m all ears and much appreciated.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
After weeks of pouring over videos and reviews on a set up I went with the following and ordered them…locked in! Supposed to arrive by next weekend…

Fluance RT81 Elite High Fidelity Vinyl Turntable Record Player with Audio Technica AT95E Cartridge, Belt Drive, Built-in Preamp, Adjustable Counterweight, High Mass MDF Wood Plinth - Piano Black ($249.00)​

Fosi Audio BT30D Pro TPA3255 Hi-Fi Bluetooth 5.0 Stereo Audio Receiver Amplifier 2.1 Channel Mini Class D Integrated Amp 165 Watt x2+350 Watt for Home Outdoor Desktop Bookshelf Speakers/Subwoofers ($109.99)​

In total: $1,046.99 + tax…. Wasn’t sure if I was gonna get to this point but the Mrs. said go for it so I tried to cover all my bases and leave a little room for upgrades in the years to come. I’m pretty excited now that I get to turn my attention to finding records and CDs to build up the home library.
Keep us posted with your impressions man. Congratulations! 🎉

You gotta begin with something! Have fun!

Later down the road search for some vintage gear. Amp + loudspeakers.

My audiophile friends have made quite the list of amps to try on.

And so have I.

Grundig vintage german stuff is pretty solid so far, as me and my friends have checked. I have closed group chat lately. And will listen to some of Grundig stuff myself irl.

Some of these loudspeakers are older than my NS-670s and have no problems to perform and rubber surrounds look like the woofers just rolled of a production line, like yesterday. Sick. And in the past I wasn't so aware, that Germans had such nice loudspeakers.

JiD7FSr.jpg
Jw7SCtT.jpg
IwjXYVy.jpg
cyS35fh.jpg

9mMixpz.jpg
mYibd3m.jpg

You gotta begin with something! Have fun!

Later down the road search for some vintage gear. Amp + loudspeakers.

My audiophile friends have made quite the list of amps to try on.

And so have I.

Grundig vintage german stuff is pretty solid so far, as me and my friends have checked. I have closed group chat lately. And will listen to some of Grundig stuff myself irl.

Some of these loudspeakers are older than my NS-670s and have no problems to perform and rubber surrounds look like the woofers just rolled of a production line, like yesterday. Sick. And in the past I wasn't so aware, that Germans had such nice loudspeakers.

JiD7FSr.jpg
Jw7SCtT.jpg
IwjXYVy.jpg
cyS35fh.jpg

9mMixpz.jpg
mYibd3m.jpg
I hear you. Unfortunately, I’m way to green when it comes to audio equipment (especially vintage gear). I live in a middle of nowhere type place that has little options so maybe down the road I’ll be ready for the top notch systems. I do like seeing people reviewing vintage systems.

I hear you. Unfortunately, I’m way to green when it comes to audio equipment (especially vintage gear). I live in a middle of nowhere type place that has little options so maybe down the road I’ll be ready for the top notch systems. I do like seeing people reviewing vintage systems.
Maybe try hunting down some Yamaha A-S amps down the road, later into the journey. My friend has A-S501 and they do not sound so bad. It's not exactly an vintage amp, quite new in fact. Would be a worthwhile upgrade, down the road I think.
JiD7FSr.jpg
Jw7SCtT.jpg
IwjXYVy.jpg
cyS35fh.jpg

As for speakers, hmm I would search for some 2 way speakers with at least 20cm woofer later down the road. If you get bored with those Klipsch or think its time to upgrade.

For now test the stuff you have bought and have fun. If you ever will need help deciding whats next, pin me in the comment. Will gladly help see through available options.

9mMixpz.jpg
mYibd3m.jpg

Keep us posted with your impressions man. Congratulations! 🎉
So I currently have the Fosi hooked up to the Klipsch speakers using the Bluetooth feature (record and cd player won’t be in till Thursday), and I’m curious if you have to adjust the bass and treble when you switch between different types of music?
Listened to a couple songs to compare (Fiona Apple - Paper Bag, The Cure - Pictures of You, Elton John - Rocket Man, and finally Smashing Pumpkins- Zero). Felt like I had things dialed in with the first 3 songs but Corgan’s voice wasn’t coming through as well on song 4. Is there a ratio of Treble to Bass for aggressive/loud sounding guitar tracks where the Singer comes through a bit better?
I know it’s Bluetooth connected so that might be throwing things off a little. Can’t compare it till delivery on Thursday. I will say that we watched a couple movies on laptop with the Bluetooth connection and the Bass was a “Holy Shit!” Reaction while watching “Doctor Sleep” (Lots of constant deep bass noises in the film). My wife even admitted it was night and day to the Bose Desktop powered speakers we used before.
Thanks for any suggestions!

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So I currently have the Fosi hooked up to the Klipsch speakers using the Bluetooth feature (record and cd player won’t be in till Thursday), and I’m curious if you have to adjust the bass and treble when you switch between different types of music?
Listened to a couple songs to compare (Fiona Apple - Paper Bag, The Cure - Pictures of You, Elton John - Rocket Man, and finally Smashing Pumpkins- Zero). Felt like I had things dialed in with the first 3 songs but Corgan’s voice was coming through as well on song 4. Is there a ratio of Treble to Bass for aggressive/loud sounding guitar tracks where the Singer comes through a bit better?
I know it’s Bluetooth connected so that might be throwing things off a little. Can’t compare it till delivery on Thursday. I will say that we watched a couple movies on laptop with the Bluetooth connection and the Bass was a “Holy Shit!” Reaction while watching “Doctor Sleep” (Lots of constant deep bass noises in the film). My wife even admitted it was night and day to the Bose Desktop powered speakers we used before.
Thanks for any suggestions!
So it depends. Hard rock especially, but anything out of the 90s & 00s is probably going to suffer from the loudness war. So it depends on the mixing and mastering quality of the release. Depending on which exact version you have, you can find the dynamic range rating here:

Chances are, if some songs sound clear and crisp and others don't, it's a byproduct of the audio source. It's certainly one thing that has impacted my taste in music.

I don't adjust the tone when I switch genres or ever really.

And it's worth saying that just because a track has a low DR rating, doesn't mean it's a bad song. Some of my favorite stuff has an absolutely terrible DR rating.

So it depends. Hard rock especially, but anything out of the 90s & 00s is probably going to suffer from the loudness war. So it depends on the mixing and mastering quality of the release. Depending on which exact version you have, you can find the dynamic range rating here:

Chances are, if some songs sound clear and crisp and others don't, it's a byproduct of the audio source. It's certainly one thing that has impacted my taste in music.

I don't adjust the tone when I switch genres or ever really.

And it's worth saying that just because a track has a low DR rating, doesn't mean it's a bad song. Some of my favorite stuff has an absolutely terrible DR rating.
Yeah, on amps like Yamaha A-S or vintage ones you can adjust bass and trebles with knobs. But everything has to be connected through cables.

Pros and cones, while using Bluetooth systems as well as Maiden explained different types of masters if you don't have built in eq come into equation.

Some will sound wild, others not so much.

And it's not like I can do much with shitty master even though I have eq on my amp.

The ML stylus for that cartridge is an excellent upgrade down the line.

I have the same cd player, had it for a few years and it's pretty solid. I just dont use mine much, as I usually stream or play vinyl.

Have you got stands for the klipsch's? If not make sure you put them on something solid. Also have them positioned at the front of what they are sat on, i.e. if on a side board, have the front of the speaker level with the front of the sideboard, to minimise first reflections. Stands will always be better, and do not need to be expensive, as plenty of options around.

When positioning the speakers make sure you have space from rear and side walls, use bungs if bass seems a bit boomy. Dont be scared of trying them in different positions, e.g. straight ahead or toed inwards.

Hope you enjoy your new toys.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Patiently waiting on my new speakers to arrive. Emotiva certainly isn't Amazon with their shipping speed. Gives me plenty of time to make adjustments at least. I've got to move some things around to make space for these biggins

The ML stylus for that cartridge is an excellent upgrade down the line.

I have the same cd player, had it for a few years and it's pretty solid. I just dont use mine much, as I usually stream or play vinyl.

Have you got stands for the klipsch's? If not make sure you put them on something solid. Also have them positioned at the front of what they are sat on, i.e. if on a side board, have the front of the speaker level with the front of the sideboard, to minimise first reflections. Stands will always be better, and do not need to be expensive, as plenty of options around.

When positioning the speakers make sure you have space from rear and side walls, use bungs if bass seems a bit boomy. Dont be scared of trying them in different positions, e.g. straight ahead or toed inwards.

Hope you enjoy your new toys.
I currently have the speakers on a beach wood table with glass top (3 feet off the ground). About 4-5 feet apart. My house layout for where they are is an “L” shape So the speakers are facing my sitting area so the sound is tunneling towards me 15-18 feet away. Not sure if that describes it well enough. I’ll move them closer to the edge of the table.
CD player was a must since I can pick CDs 💿 up almost anywhere for $1-$3.00. Glad yours is working well for you.
Heard good things about the record player for the price so figured it was good starting point.

USB dac + PC and Tidal is a good upgrade to audio source too. Down the line. Dunno if your amp has RCA inputs and its a good choice right now thou.

+ https://tidal.com/tiers/hifi

Just use HiFi tier. HiFi Plus is a scam.
And it's cheaper too. In Poland HiFi tier costs like 4,73$ per month.

All tracks in lossless CD quality.

BTW your Bluetooth 5.0 has an lossless codec? Its worth investigating, if you want to play lossless audio if you actually will get it. Some Bluetooth codecs actually have good bitrate around 900kbps. So they are good! From 900kbps to 1200 or 1500, I think it's not audible anyways.

Some of FLAC tracks I listened to in the past had like 700-800kbps and sounded as good as Tidal or CD.

Last edited:

CobraAB

The RT-82 R=Turntable at $299 is $50 extra dollars well spent.

Agreed, but then he'd need a phono pre-amp as I don't think the fosi bt30 he listed has one. So gotta add another $60+ or whatever or get a different amp.
I did have to make some concessions due to my family and the budget. Wife only listens to CDs & Streaming, Kid only streaming, so I went for the better speakers and decent CD player to make everyone happy. Since the record player had a built in phono amp I could save a little by going with the Fosi.
Definitely trying to ease into the audio phile world instead of dropping big 💰upfron. If it was just me I might’ve gone $1,500 - $2,000 but that’s not my situation, and that’s okay. CD player hooked up yesterday and sound great through the Klipsch speakers!
The wife and I are planning to hit up Memphis/Nashville Tennessee next month to go to some record stores and find some stuff for both are tastes/needs.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I did have to make some concessions due to my family and the budget. Wife only listens to CDs & Streaming, Kid only streaming, so I went for the better speakers and decent CD player to make everyone happy. Since the record player had a built in phono amp I could save a little by going with the Fosi.
Definitely trying to ease into the audio phile world instead of dropping big 💰upfron. If it was just me I might’ve gone $1,500 - $2,000 but that’s not my situation, and that’s okay. CD player hooked up yesterday and sound great through the Klipsch speakers!
The wife and I are planning to hit up Memphis/Nashville Tennessee next month to go to some record stores and find some stuff for both are tastes/needs.
At the budget level its always compromises and "another $50 gets you...." will always come up. I'm pretty happy with the RT-85, TX-8220, Kef Q150 set up I have as it is pretty minimal and required little effort to just spin a record, but I'm already looking at higher end headphones, bigger and better speakers, tube amps (learn to solder and build your own!), and turntable envy is legit because the higher end tables are gorgeous.

So other than the headphones (so I can listen whilst the family life goes on around me) I'm trying to hold where I am for equipment and just enjoy the records until I'm ready to jump up a few grand all at once, rather than small iterative steps over and over. It's hard to browse the Schiit site or Klipsch and not just wanna throw down though :p Am I REALLY gonna hear much of a difference in my largish, open on 2 sides, room in a house full of screaming kids?

I'm not a metalhead but I listen to a lot of punk & rock. There is absolutely audiophile-grade metal though. Tool, for example. Fucked Up is another I've had good listening experience with. TBH, most music coming out today is pretty damn good quality, at least in my experience on Apple Music.
I'm not sure how much this factors in here but 70s era early Heavy Metal, and proto-Metal, albums had some delicious mixes and production overall.

I'd suggest checking out some albums like Judas Priest's Sad Wings of Destiny and Sin After Sin, Rainbow's Rising, Black Sabbath's Master of Reality...stuff from that era sounds amazing imo. It's that crispy, "wood panel" sounding 70s stuff that I personally love.

Spin it on one of supplied carts. With 1g stylus pressure to see if it spins and everything works. Dunno in what condition the stylus was.

Was to tired to set different carts.

But I will switch to mine carts if not today, then over the weekend.

With these two stylus I already have two mounting Dual sleds/headshells/ basket which is nice.

I may revive the additional carts with new stylus along the way and will probably buy additional headshells along the way. Since Dual plug and play is amazing for switching carts on the fly.

Its semi-automatic. Starts full manual, I think the arm just lifts up at the end of the record and not autoreturn like on my 1246 but I haven't tested this just yet. It seems like it will be simpler and less prone to failure.

Last edited:

Shure M95EDM from the 70s with Black Diamond stylus. VTA adjusted by the eye. No measurements whatsoever, its sitting like 50 to 70% higher than on my previous table.

I love this cart- vintage but its a nice all-rounder. Can't recommend it enough.

And yeah, arm just lifts up at the end of the record and platter just stops spinning, no additional bullshit which I wasn't using anyways on a previous table.

And I think it will be less prone to failures.

Last edited:
Things could improve more down the line. I should buy a template for adjusting the proper VTA angle or smth. And probably I will invest in some weight-in/clamp since direct drive table should be able to handle it no problem. I just placed my Nagaoka 45rpm adapter just for additional weight but its light so its purely visual, I guess.

I should also read up on these two additional cartridges I got with my table. One is Shure M71 and other M75. These seem like a lower and but they could still sound pretty nice here and there. They also do not need to be adjusted with horizontal tracking angle because they have the Dual clip-in thingie, they just clip into the sled and are good to go- no horizontal tracking angle adjustments whatsoever- because the clip holds it perfectly in place with proper setting. They only need new styli but I will probably grab some along the way in the near future.

Let the fun begin, I guess. Since this table is a beast and being able to set the VTA means I get 100% out of any cartridge I mount on this thing.

I'm tempted to try some vintage Ortofon cartridge next, maybe hunt down some vintage Nagaoka or... The first ever cartridge manufacturer which tested Nagaoka patents and whatnot and was in some kind of partnership with Nagaoka? They even firstly released the MP (Moving Permalloy) carts before Nagaoka did with its MP series, I have heard legends about them and to my surprise there is a large new old stock of styli for those, unfortunately cartridges are extra rare. So that's a bummer. But the overall stories and legends made me curious about the brand and I do have eyes set on any of these carts, be it some higher series or a lower end series. Even spherical ones.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Anyone know if there are receivers out there that do HDMI 2.1 with VRR pass through? My current Denon receiver is about 10 years old and can’t do shit, so I run HDMI 2.1 straight into my LG C1 TV. The TV will output 5.1 via optical to the receiver for built in streaming apps, PS5 games (when set correctly, that was a nightmare) but it won’t do certain codecs and anything off my PC is essentially 2.1.

So my thought is I need a receiver that can pass through both 4k/120hz and VRR content. VRR and high refresh is more important to me tbh, so I haven’t made this a huge priority because it’s really only PC content that’s suffering here but if there’s a solution…I just got a promotion so it can be in the budget

Ulysses 31

Anyone know if there are receivers out there that do HDMI 2.1 with VRR pass through? My current Denon receiver is about 10 years old and can’t do shit, so I run HDMI 2.1 straight into my LG C1 TV. The TV will output 5.1 via optical to the receiver for built in streaming apps, PS5 games (when set correctly, that was a nightmare) but it won’t do certain codecs and anything off my PC is essentially 2.1.

So my thought is I need a receiver that can pass through both 4k/120hz and VRR content. VRR and high refresh is more important to me tbh, so I haven’t made this a huge priority because it’s really only PC content that’s suffering here but if there’s a solution…I just got a promotion so it can be in the budget
If you can cough up the 6500$ for the Denon AVR-A1H, it has VRR and 8K support. :messenger_winking_tongue:

I'm sure some of their cheaper models have it too. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

I like Sony receivers. I've got the predecessor to this one and it's been great. This should do all that you need it too.

Xellos

Yamaha RX-A4A would be a good choice. It's $1299 currently but I've seen it go on sale for $999 before. Seven HDMI 2.1 inputs, pretty decent amp, and you can get a 5 year warranty if you register it (2 yrs + 3 with registration).

Previously mentioned Sony is probably pretty good too. I've had Sony, Yamaha, Denon receivers in the past and they've all been pretty good. Currently using Sony and Yamaha in different rooms.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The headphone thread seems like it's been dormant for a few years (or maybe this is what it turned into?) but can anyone recommend some good headphones. Fairly good budget, up to the $500 range as I've looked at the sennheiser HD600-660s but I'm currently running a pretty basic onkyo TX-8220 so I'm not sure it could exercise a good headphone. Down the road I've been looking at schiit gear or even building an elekit so a hd600 would better match that stuff. I've read about impediance and whatnot, not sure how it matters though.

Top Bottom