• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Audiophile GAF

benno

In setting up the new speakers I decided to try and improve my bass response. I took an older smaller subwoofer that would fit in my chair and then took the mic around to different spots and found the best measurement then placed my sub there and got a great improvement. All I had to do was move my sub 4 feet out form the corner.
Your software is lying to you. No way in hell are you getting 10-30hz flat, no way you're getting 20hz to be honest. All you'd hear is everything in the room vibrate. You're either breaking physics or you have 3m thick bass traps on every surface. Studios pay big money for acousticians to design and build control rooms with worse frequency plots than you just posted.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Man, I get super bummed on vinyl pricing these days. It's especially cruel if you missed a release window. LPs I want are going for $100+. :messenger_loudly_crying:

I want to pick up the new Einaudi release but $40 is too much. Also splitting a 48-minute album across 2 vinyl is so fucking dumb and it makes me less interested in a physical copy of the album.

AJUMP23

Gold Member

These are what mine look like. I think they look and sound great.

12237299-9377-2__49706.1510768665.jpg

These are what mine look like. I think they look and sound great.

12237299-9377-2__49706.1510768665.jpg
Always pondered getting a pair of them. They’re reasonably priced but I figured that I would be doing them a disservice by not goving them the breathing room.

I’d try pairing them with a Jeff Rowland Continuum S2 but that’s just me.

Last edited:

hollams

Gold Member
Your software is lying to you. No way in hell are you getting 10-30hz flat, no way you're getting 20hz to be honest. All you'd hear is everything in the room vibrate. You're either breaking physics or you have 3m thick bass traps on every surface. Studios pay big money for acousticians to design and build control rooms with worse frequency plots than you just posted.
I use REW and a Umik-1 which I think is the most widely used software and Mic for home enthusiasts so I guess a lot of people are being lied to.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
ForAcademicPurposes ForAcademicPurposes They sound great. Especially with Brass instruments. But I haven't heard anything that sounds as good as an electrostatic IMO. You should check them out and then you can just fork over the money and get them.

Think there's something wrong with my amp. I turn it on and instead of the transformers heating up, it is the rest of the amp that is heating up. There is also a strong burning smell emanating from the tubes. It's curious because I've had this thing serviced a couple of months ago. It's a Primaluna.

farmerboy

Can anyone shed a light on Canton speakers as a whole? I'm considering them, but here in Australia they are basically unknown. Looking at the Canton Chrono series.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Can anyone shed a light on Canton speakers as a whole? I'm considering them, but here in Australia they are basically unknown. Looking at the Canton Chrono series.
I have never heard them myself but doing a quick search seems to yield good results. They've been around since the early 70s and seem to be well regarded on forums & reviews. Since they're German maybe less exposure to the rest of the world?

If you can audition them, let us know. I hate buying blind but I live in the middle of nowhere so I have to in most cases.

Huh, judging from the 'oh dear' John is expecting a lot of bad comments. I'm curious what his thoughts are on the soundbar. I've seen Tech channels make big claim about newer soundbars but haven't seen much from the audiophile community.
I think the couple over at Andrew Robinson were floored with the Sennheiser soundbar that cost like two thousand raheems. They also dug the Naim Mu-so.

With that said. this was genuinely the first negative review that I've heard from him.

https://www.whathifi.com/news/high-end-munich-2022

This Thursday is the E3 of the HiFi industry. Can't wait to see the new speakers from Monitor Audio and Dali.
Like the look of the new mission speakers, but out of my price range, plus more than happy with my kef R3's.

Interested to see what else iFi bring to the table, as their zen dac is pretty awesome, whilst the go blu and zen one signatures are no slouches as had both to review, and came away impressed with both. After not having the go blu for a while, I really do miss the little thing when I'm out doing jobs and cant use my over ear headphones. Really hoping they produce an integrated amp at some point (have suggested it to them), an amp integrating with their zen phono amp and dac setup would be awesome.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
The aesthetic of the KEF'S floorstanders have grown on me but I'm just not into the KEF sound. Heard everything from the LS59 to the expensive Blade.
I am in absolute love with the Kef R500s I have in my living room. Same on the Q150s in my office.
iu
iu

I absolutely love, love, love the sound quality in my office (I just need a small subwoofer to complete the package). The living room set-up needs some tweaking to get it to that same level but it is so close to perfection for me.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Some day I will make it to an audio trade show. These videos below are kind of dumb but I really like the visual aesthetic that Darko's video have. Just super short snippets of a day at the show. Reminds me of many non-audio trade shows I've been to.

Last edited:

kevm3

My general rule of thumb is always if you can't afford it twice then you can't afford it.
I've spent way too much money in audio chasing that magical 'best sound' and ultimately I realize that there's infinite amount of money to dump into the hobby, but after a certain point, you aren't necessarily getting better, you are getting different.

Last edited:

manfestival

I get that bug to look into audio every now and then out of curiosity. Fortunately of the two times I really got into audio. I eventually found something that I can settle with. While I love the hobby and the amazing experiences I get out of it. Currently settled with my headphones. maybe when I get my own place... maybe then I will consider buying something ridiculous as far as speakers go. Until then, I am just happy with the cans that I throw on the top of my head. Granted, a part of me still wants to do some side by side with other nice high end headphones. LCD X is fantastic but it requires EQ in order to be fantastic. If I could get this experience stock from headphones without any tinkering? perfect but I do not know that... at least now and not sure if I want to know that lol

ItsGreat

I like this.... and I don't think, due to the limitations of physics, you could ever make a sound bar that does better than a true HIFI system.

I think it's amazing how they make the small speakers give the illusion of pushing pints of air around.

Does anyone have any good articles or videos about how they actually achieve such 'big' sounds from such small units.

But your 100% right. Nothing can compete to the real thing.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I think it's amazing how they make the small speakers give the illusion of pushing pints of air around.

Does anyone have any good articles or videos about how they actually achieve such 'big' sounds from such small units.

But your 100% right. Nothing can compete to the real thing.
I don’t think they want articles due to proprietary ip.

Top Bottom