• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attorneys for officer in Philando Castile shooting remove judge from case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzom21

Full Story
I didn't include "black" in the title because I wanted it to be an amusing "surprise."
wilsonofficial.jpg

Attorneys representing St. Anthony police officer Jeronimo Yanez in the fatal shooting of Philando Castile filed a notice to remove Ramsey County's second most senior judge from presiding over the case.

The notice to remove Ramsey County District Court Judge Edward Wilson, filed Thursday, cited a rule of Minnesota criminal procedure that allows defense or prosecuting attorneys to ask for the removal of one assigned judge per case without citing a reason. Such requests are automatically granted.

"We did our research, and based on our research, we chose to remove him," said one of Yanez's three attorneys, Earl Gray. "We felt that we had to remove him. Simple as that."
Gee, I wonder what reason that had to remove him?

Beartruck

So pretty much:

Cop A-"Aw crap, we murdered a black guy!"
Cop B-"It's cool, the judge'll get us off."
A-"He's black too."
B-"Shit!"

TheYanger

I mean...I can understand why that might be a rule, but holy shit what a way to pervert the letter of the law to fuck over the law.

Durden77

This is so fucked up that this is even a rule in the first place because you know the entire reason why it is is because of this right here.

Incrediblehow deep this shit trail goes. It will be another half a century before it's even close to beaten.

olag

Its not even Day 1 of Trumps presidency yet and you guys have already started with this............Let that shit sink in.

jay

Oh, well if it's as simple as that.

Kind of funny lawyers and police don't think justice is blind. If they don't have faith in the system why should anyone else?

Xe4

Banned
That is the most stupid ass rule I've read in a long time. Like, I get why judges should be removed in some cases; but to ask for it with no reason and have it granted automatically is freaking crazy stupid.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I mean what the fuck

Like how do you be a black kid and look at this shit and the fucking gall of it

I'm sorry black kids I fucking vote against this shit every two years but fuck

I can't even

Vena

I hope this backfires on them. They're going to try for a white judge, and then I want that judge to pull a fast one on them and be an extremely progressive judge who just urges for throwing the book at the cop.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
yeah...thinking about it, like I posted above "I can see how they could have a rule for that" but...no, I can't. if you can't trust a judge to be impartial WHY ARE THEY A JUDGE.

That also means every lawyer can eject every judge he literally doesn't like the look of

I get a law allowing for the attorneys to request the removal of a judge, but I don't get why they would make it part of the law that they don't even need to give a reason. That just seems ripe for this kind of abuse.

I hope another black judge gets assigned to this case, because this is all kinds of fucked up.

Why is that even a rule??

Sounds similar to jury selection. In my jurisdiction the defense can veto 8 jurors without showing cause. A 9th they have to make a case for why they can't be selected. To remove a judge you have to make case to that judge first who then has to respond. Being allowed to remove a judge without showing cause doesn't sound too far fetched to me.

RMI

Banned
Ahhhhhh fuck everything. Shit was fucking murder but there will be at least one piece of shit boot licking fascist juror who ruins the course of justice. Count on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom