• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus is suing fans for reviving Shin Megami Tensei Imagine Online

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Played it for about a month way back in the day, thought it was pretty naff, but if people want to play a game the publisher abandoned normally they don't have a problem... Phantasy Star Online private servers have been going strong for years.

Unless of course your a massive douche, then there are problems.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Lame.

Developer's should be proud of their work and their fans when people in the community find ways to keep old games alive.

Not buying any Atlus games from now on. Not that I bought too many to begin with but they just feel off my radar completely over some dumb shit like this.

Last edited:

Fake

Obi Wan Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

CuNi

"Game preservation" is ridicules and overused. People excuse all sorts of dumb behavior by that word.

I understand your POV when it comes to talking about 1 month old games on Emulators, but we're talking about a game that officially shut down years ago and no signs point to it ever returning.
So what exactly is the reason of your drive by post except trying to shit on people legitimately trying to preserve games and make them playable well beyond the publisher supporting it?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I could be wrong but from I can understand these guys were trying make profit from it and if thats the case its their own fault.

Sounds like the Legal department at Atlus has too much time on their hands. Sounds like the Finance department should make some cuts in the Legal department.

Pejo

Apart from this being a bad thing for gamers and cultural preservation, what could their motives be? :pie_diana:
Typically you'd see somebody do this if they had plans to revitalize the IP or, like Nintendo, to protect the image of their IP very strictly. That said, they've pretty much milked the Megaten universe bone dry at this point, so I'm sure it's some perceived loss of income that's driving it.

EDMIX

Wow, this is soooo wrong, you are suppose to LET FANS illegally use your IP, shame on Atlus and Sega. /s

Three

Wow, this is soooo wrong, you are suppose to LET FANS illegally use your IP, shame on Atlus and Sega. /s
I think just going straight to suing them is a little bit crappy to be honest. Hit them with a cease and desist. If they don't take it down, sue. Just putting them in legal trouble straight off the bat kind of sucks even if they have every right to do it. Especially if they are actually fans.

Last edited:
Guess charging disgusting amounts of money for their games is not paying the rent anymore.
But they need to defend the IP and if these Preservationist were making money off IP then I agree they in the wrong.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I think just going straight to suing them is a little bit crappy to be honest. Hit them with a cease and desist. If they don't take it down, sue. Just putting them in legal trouble straight off the bat kind of sucks even if they have every right to do it. Especially if they are actually fans.
For all we know they already sent them a cease and desist.

So Atlus/Sega isn't putting them in this legal trouble, they put themselves in this. You can be a fan of something and still break the law. Many ways to express fandom without doing something illegally.

They also could be working on some MMO thing of their own, they could also simply not want fans playing this thing and sending messages, contacting them for assistance or attacking them for something someone else illegally revived. So I don't want to see any fans of this get into any legal trouble like this, its why I suggest not doing it at all vs getting mad at Atlus.

Because suing your fans and causing yourself a PR nightmare is a better solution. There were better ways to handle this. For example they could have hired on the team managing it or at very least issue a cease and desist. This was a garbage move on their part. Preserving art SHOULD NOT be a crime as long as you aren't profiting off other people's work.

EDMIX

The article framed it like this wasn't the case, but you never know.

True, the people modding this may have not disclosed that publicly, but you could be right, they may have also not been giving a cease and desist and Atlus went straight to that law suit lol

They not playing.

Because suing your fans and causing yourself a PR nightmare is a better solution. There were better ways to handle this. For example they could have hired on the team managing it or at very least issue a cease and desist. This was a garbage move on their part. Preserving art SHOULD NOT be a crime as long as you aren't profiting off other people's work.

"fans"? Liking a game doesn't excuse breaking the law. I don't get why people love trying to use that as some cover or something and then try to blackmail the developer with this whole "PR nightmare" bullshit as if most of us give a fuck.

So....as a "fan" of Atlus and Sega, I'm hype for what they put out, could give 2 shits about the crimes theses folks committed when they illegally started using someone else's IP without their consent.

The issue isn't even merely the idea of "profiting", them putting this out can misrepresent their image, brand etc if folks are playing it, having issues and then blaming, attacking and making negative comments about ALTUS based on something, someone else did with their work...without their consent. So...you can cry about this shit, but this is a nightmare for you bud, not Atlus/Sega or their PR or fans that actually care about respecting that companies rights.

99.9% of fan's are not losing sleep over this suit. They'll go nuts when that Persona 6 trailer drops like usual lol edit. or that RE-Fantasy trailer, semi OT...where the fuck is that game? lol

Last edited:
True, the people modding this may have not disclosed that publicly, but you could be right, they may have also not been giving a cease and desist and Atlus went straight to that law suit lol

They not playing.

"fans"? Liking a game doesn't excuse breaking the law. I don't get why people love trying to use that as some cover or something and then try to blackmail the developer with this whole "PR nightmare" bullshit as if most of us give a fuck.

So....as a "fan" of Atlus and Sega, I'm hype for what they put out, could give 2 shits about the crimes theses folks committed when they illegally started using someone else's IP without their consent.

The issue isn't even merely the idea of "profiting", them putting this out can misrepresent their image, brand etc if folks are playing it, having issues and then blaming, attacking and making negative comments about ALTUS based on something, someone else did with their work...without their consent. So...you can cry about this shit, but this is a nightmare for you bud, not Atlus/Sega or their PR or fans that actually care about respecting that companies rights.

99.9% of fan's are not losing sleep over this suit. They'll go nuts when that Persona 6 trailer drops like usual lol edit. or that RE-Fantasy trailer, semi OT...where the fuck is that game? lol

I see the Atlus legal team is here on Gaf to tell us how it is lol

lol nah, I'm simply aware that this is illegal and against the law.

Don't need to be a lawyer or part of any legal team to know that.
Illegal doesn't necessarily mean hurtful. The game has been off the market for years and made no money. It is financially inert. Practically no harm is coming from this, which is the only way the game can be kept alive as of now.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Illegal doesn't necessarily mean hurtful. The game has been off the market for years and made no money. It is financially inert. Practically no harm is coming from this, which is the only way the game can be kept alive as of now.
They are using Atlus’s property to make money, it’s natural for ANY company to protect their IP.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
it would cost them less money to simply let the few dozen weebs interested in this play it than to to sue them. atlus is so weird.

Chad move Atlus. Let's sue the fans that gave you the money for your products in the first place and got you where you are today. This is some 4D chess olympics here. Much applause.

/s

However, if the fans are trying to sell a product/property that is owned by Atlus then that is a different story..

Last edited:

lyan

it would cost them less money to simply let the few dozen weebs interested in this play it than to to sue them. atlus is so weird.
The "fans" made a phishing site of this game.

Top Bottom