• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus' answers to concerns over Sony censorship policy possibly affecting Catherine: Full Body

Elfstar

https://gematsu.com/2018/11/atlus-r...ony-regulations-affecting-catherine-full-body

Studio Zero's official Twitter account answered some fans' question about recent Sony's chensorship policy possibly affecting Catherine: Full Body, here's Gematsu most updated translation:

• Q: “The scenes in the trailers won’t get hidden by mysterious lights, will they?”
    A: “As for mysterious lights being in Catherine: Full Body…”
  • Q: “Are there any regulations that weren’t in the PlayStation 3 version being put in? That’s the only thing I’m a bit worried about.”
    A: “They are…” (to be continued)
  • Q: “Are white lights going to shine over the ecchi scenes?”
    A: “…not included!” (We went as far as we could go without the light shining.)
  • Q: “In regards to recent talk surrounding PS4, are there any regulations? I want an honest answer.”
    A: “To everyone worried about that, we love you. (We received about 10 more of the same question.)”
It doesn't look like the clear, straight answer that fans wanted, so there's still room for concern, in my opinion.

wipeout364

Maybe Xbox will get a release one day but PC maybe will get a release Japanese studios have gotten quite good at getting a PC version out on steam relatively quick

Shin

Banned
Very off-topic but to create a new thread might not be worth it discussion-wise.
Now that Sony HQ moved to Cali (not sure why they'd do that to begin with since their product development still is being done by Japan), is Sean Layden responsible for these changes or?
Who's at the helm of the whole censorship turn around?
So many steps forward yet, 1 that didn't require any action....

Mr Hyde

It doesn´t make any sense if they censor Catherine now when it was uncensored on the PS3-version. Sony, what the hell are you doing? What happened?

Hudo

Well, they could alleviate some of those concerns if they'd just publish their stuff on multiple platforms...

It'll be interesting to see whether ATLUS provides further clarification, closer to release. Otherwise, I'm sure the devs are aware this answers comes across as, "We hear your concern, but can't promise anything."

Jagz

Fan-service games need to come to PC first, then consider console second.

Considering how well games like Nekopara and various others have sold on PC, and just the fact the Eroge/VN genre's main platform is still the PC, it only makes sense.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
In other words, big time censorship coming, but Atlus doesn't want to make Sony look bad. It'll be like the other censored games where Sony and the devs say nothing, in hopes gamers playing it don't know any better to compare versions themselves, so keep quiet and hope nobody cares or notices. Then if enough time passes, it'll blow over since it's niche games which hardly anyone plays anyway.

It's a weird censorship thing because when it comes to media every region/country acts different. It's pretty obvious Japan is loosey goosey with kiddie sexualized stuff with teenag girls with skirts bending over. And it's been like that forever, so if people there don't care, then let the devs do what they originally intended. And then for the US and Europe discs block any risky stuff. It's been like that forever and for different media.

So to do a global blanket approach is weird.

Although there was one article (I forget who said it), but it mentioned that doing products in a global way is more efficient as devs don't have to rework or patch their games. So yeah, that does make sense in a manufacturing/programming way.

Zenaku

Well, we don't know the exact moment during development that Sony stick their heads in. Nekopara was delayed close to release, iirc, and that was presumably to take time editing the cg and removing things. Nekototo had a really sloppy censor job that was improved slightly in a later patch, indicating a potential rush job to avoid delaying the release. The vn from light is finished, and they're still possibly waiting for confirmation to release.

To me things point to Sony medling right at the end of development, when the games about to go gold. The only outlier is DoAX3S, which is set to release around the same time as Catherine, but we don't know if that was their original planned date. They may have planned for a sooner release, but had to delay to make the necessary changes.

What I'm saying is, Atlus may not have submitted the game to Sony yet, and they may not have recieved any instructions about removing content yet. We won't know until developers come forward and speak the truth, but that would just burn bridges that some developers can't risk losing.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I guess Sony were serious when they said they were protecting the children.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Catherine is pretty innocent and tongue in cheek, how they can have nerve to censor anything in the game yet proudly show off two girls hitting it off in a showcase trailer is beyond me.
It's a no buy if its censored in any shape or form for me.
Sony needs to get their priorities straight.

Last edited:

zwiggelbig

Catherine is pretty innocent and tongue in cheek, how they can have nerve to censor anything in the game yet proudly show off two girls hitting it off in a showcase trailer is beyond me.

Dam u make a really good point..

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Funny thing is that the games Sony is targeting are rated M.

You can call it funny all you want, but it doesn’t change the fact that nudity is being censored on PS4. Only guns and gore is ok.

Actually after writing that, it could sound like it’s someone from the American department who decided this.

You can call it funny all you want, but it doesn’t change the fact that nudity is being censored on PS4. Only guns and gore is ok.

Actually after writing that, it could sound like it’s someone from the American department who decided this.
Not all nudity is censored though. Nudity in The Witcher 3 and The Order? A-okay. Nudity in Senran Kagura or Nekopara? Kill it! Kill it with fire!

Shin

Banned
Nah too much wait and see, if you guys want to get something done then do something about it.
No company will bend unless there's a backlash, they'll always try and get away with something or make u pay more or whatever until people make noise.
It's time for a gamers campaign against this nonsense.

Dit my part:

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Nah too much wait and see, if you guys want to get something done then do something about it.
No company will bend unless there's a backlash, they'll always try and get away with something or make u pay more or whatever until people make noise.
It's time for a gamers campaign against this nonsense.

Dit my part:

In a U.S. centric (but that could apply more in some parts of Europe too) point of view there is the possibility than you and I are just a vocal small minority and so yeah being 4theplayer would mean censoring things more as that is the majority’s opinion...

Link1110

Remember back in the day when Nintendo were the censorship people and we got all our uncensored games from Sony? Full circle. Now Switch is our PS1 and PS4 is the N64.

Last edited:
Why the hell did Sony move their HQ to California? This place is a complete shit hole right now. Atlus, grow some fucking balls and give us a PC version. I'd gladly wait for it and even pre-order it just to stick to the Sony.

I don't like censorship and everytime I hear Sony do it, it pisses me off. They were doing so well. Now this shit.

bitbydeath

Why the hell did Sony move their HQ to California? This place is a complete shit hole right now. Atlus, grow some fucking balls and give us a PC version. I'd gladly wait for it and even pre-order it just to stick to the Sony.

I don't like censorship and everytime I hear Sony do it, it pisses me off. They were doing so well. Now this shit.

They were asked if it was censored, it isn’t.

That doesn't dismiss my concerns with them basing in California.
Although, If it's not censored, I'd be happy, but I'd rather wait till it comes out if that's the case.

If the censorship is solely based on underaged characters, then it's most definately a cultural issue and people who don't want the censorship should import.
I don't get around to reading much in depth gaming related news, like I used to.

With that said, I'd still want a PC version as I find myself buying less and less console games with every generation that goes by.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Probably because Sony's biggest and best trends lately are PS and movies, both which are heavily skewed to western sales and production.

If their TV division was on fire and PS and movies were tanking, it would be Japan HQ all the way.

USA calling the shots now. I can see the PS and movie departments working well together, so might as well have all the key media hq's in USA.

Last edited:

Senhua

Also only applies to under 18 year olds.

What part of her's looks like kid for you?
3457420-5760124240-DqeRz.jpg

Of course that will not censored cause developer itself will modified the content to comply with the policy (aka self censorship) like Yakuza remaster 3.
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
SJWs and their evil anti-sex views happened.

Hopefully it gets a PC release.

In a U.S. centric (but that could apply more in some parts of Europe too) point of view there is the possibility than you and I are just a vocal small minority and so yeah being 4theplayer would mean censoring things more as that is the majority’s opinion...

Except even they that you call SJWs weren't asking for this level of censorship.

And to P Panajev2001a the majority of Americans don't view this stuff as harmful. Only a small minority did.

Last edited:

danielberg

Neophyte
I mean the fact that sony now censors stuff that not even nintendo censors says it all doesn't it? I mean its Nintendo that especially after the wii has a image of being a family brand.. think about that lol
Nintendo has more to lose from anime tiddies than sony yet its sony as the only one in the console and pc market that does this now, i just dont get it.

I can see the PS and movie departments working well together, so might as well have all the key media hq's in USA.
I dont see anything good coming from sonys failing and out of touch movie departments trying to dictate the direction of playstation lol They will just drag the brand down with them.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Except even they that you call SJWs weren't asking for this level of censorship.

And to P Panajev2001a the majority of Americans don't view this stuff as harmful. Only a small minority did.

Must be a super loud group with a lot of power... I was living there when the Beyoncé wardrobe malfunction incident happened at the Super Bowl half time show and people lost their shit. Visit countries like Italy and France, learn the language and watch the ads, talk with people daily, and then when you are back revisit if violence or sex/nudity is more tolerated than the other.

joe_zazen

Very off-topic but to create a new thread might not be worth it discussion-wise.
Now that Sony HQ moved to Cali (not sure why they'd do that to begin with since their product development still is being done by Japan), is Sean Layden responsible for these changes or?
Who's at the helm of the whole censorship turn around?
So many steps forward yet, 1 that didn't require any action....

Afaik, John Kodera + a small board of California retirees oversees SIE. Layden travels around 10 months out of the year making sure 1st party studios aren’t wasting $ or time and are making the right kinds of games (critic bait action rpgs).

And who says their product development is being done in Japan? Afaik, the headquarters are in Cali and they are responsible for all things PS including hardware development.

PS5 is going to be super interesting given the huge number if changes at Sony over the last 5 years. But to be honest, I am a little apathetic aabout Sony now vs 2013. I look at their output and it bores me as I dont want interactive movies with kinda dull action rpg gameplay. I’m enjoying my psvr, but that is more of a novelty and probably not something I am going to want to upgrade until the tech is wireless and like 4k per eye. Their communication is kinda shit with fans. Phil creeps me out, but at least he has a front facing presence and talks alot all the while doing exciting things. Like the X is a neat bit of kit and buying a bunch if studios that make a bunch if different kinds of games is exciting if you are into their ecosystem. Plus they have a fun driving game in Horizon; tbh, that game will probably be why I buy an xbox. I am going to wait though until Sony’s reveal which I am sure will be in the next 3-12 months. Maybe they’ll knock it out of the park, but I am betting on a boring reveal with the promise of GoWII, Last of Us II, Spiderman II, GT Sport II, Uncharted VI, Horizon ZD II, Knack III, Infamous V, Killzone VI, and I think that is it.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying those are bad games. All I am saying is that like Marvel movies and BBC crime shows, despite the quality and cost to make, they bore me. I want some surprises, like MarioVRabbids or whatever inXile or Obsidian is going to do for microsoft.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Must be a super loud group with a lot of power... I was living there when the Beyoncé wardrobe malfunction incident happened at the Super Bowl half time show and people lost their shit. Visit countries like Italy and France, learn the language and watch the ads, talk with people daily, and then when you are back revisit if violence or sex/nudity is more tolerated than the other.

Most americans would probably want it censored if they knew about it. Folks tend to scream more for change than to scream for more of the same for anything and that small groups shouting has been heard for awhile which has infected the gaming industry quite a bit in the last few years even if the player base hasn't really changed its taste that much.

s_mirage

Also only applies to under 18 year olds.

Says who? AFAIK Sony haven't even admitted that they're censoring anything, let alone given details of their policy. Moreover, DoA Xtreme 3 Scarlet is being censored on the PS4 when compared to the old versions or the Switch release, and none of the characters are underage in that.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Censorship is a very US centric thing. No doubt the highest amount among all other western countries.

Some reason the government sets archaic laws that gimps sex, swearing, alcohol and drug use etc..... Violence is the key sin that is tolerated, but to certain amounts.

Even here in Canada (which follows close with the US on things), you head over to Quebec and their media policies are a lot more loosey goosey with T&A and cussing in prime time.

So it goes to show the US audience (kind of like gun control), has a general attitude that can't handle stuff some reason. You show some T&A in a Swedish or Brit TV show and nobody really cares. You don't get tons of pervs or crooks going bonkers because the media shows some skin.

You show this stuff in prime time USA and people go apeshit and special interest groups would go off the rails trying to shut it down for sake of protecting the public. Interestingly, despite so many safety laws, violence in the US is till leagues beyond any other rich western nation anyway.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
3457420-5760124240-DqeRz.jpg

Lol I don’t know what’s more stupid. The people complaining or that light. Can’t mess with peoples underage tits tho.
Who f'ing knew Nintendo (out of all platform makers) would be so open to stuff like this. And decades ago, they banned blood in games. Even a small glob of red pixels was a no-no.

You can make a point without randomly generalizing people like this...
It doesn´t make any sense if they censor Catherine now when it was uncensored on the PS3-version. Sony, what the hell are you doing? What happened?

They hired this sort in HR/PR:

SJW-interview-CAFAB-CAMAB-gynocracy-snowflake-transgenderism.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom