• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atari to acquire Nightdive Studios

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Edit: reminder this isn't E.T. Atari but Infogrames with rights to most of Atari (no, not much better).
Let's hope they don't screw them up. That's a pretty low price too, I guess they haven't been doing so hot despite cult classic releases all the fans have been praising (it does mention a revenue of US$3.0 million for all of 2022 so I guess €30 M bonds and US$20.0 million over 3 years sounds ok).

Last edited:

darrylgorn

Star Wars No GIF

(or maybe yes)

Last edited:
Let's hope they don't screw them up. That's a pretty low price too, I guess they haven't been doing so hot despite cult classic releases all the fans have been praising (it does mention a revenue of US$3.0 million for all of 2022 so I guess €30 M bonds and US$20.0 million over 3 years sounds ok).

I mean, they will screw it up, but I agree with you...$3 million in revenue seems quite low. Curious what their profit margin looks like. They've got some good devs and the licensing of these old titles can't be cheap, especially for the bigger ones.

But good for Stephen Kick, the dude started the company out of his van and it's a decent payout for sure. But no doubt there's going to be pressure from Atari to get away from the old games and towards something that generates more revenue.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck nooooooooo! Nightdive was on a roll these past few years. Other than the source code for Blood (...and money), I don't see what having Atari be in charge of Nightdive would bring to the studio.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Did my best and mostly double or triple dipped every one of their releases, they are not the publisher of many of those games so they only get a smaller cut (publishers do pay for dev costs). I hope it goes well…

Calverz

This is incredibly disappointing and explains why Stephen kick was selling most of his old pc classics.
Now they just gonna work on old shitty Atari games? I don’t know what this means. Big loss

nkarafo

Why? They are fine as they are. More chances to ruin them than improve them so i hope it doesn't happen. It's Atari after all, they ruined themselves.

Kadve

Where the hell is AtariGrames even getting money from? They've already gone through bankruptcy once (And not talking about actual Atari here) so what investor would be interested?

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Apparently that Atari 50 collection was actually really dope. Might be nice to get more people together interested in restoring old games.

Dane

Atari has been under a new leadership since 2020, its not the ones who were responsible for the shovelware era, the current ones are delivering quality, they even have Yak onboard.

I did not know the current Atari is actually Infogrames.

It has been since 99 I think, infogrames decided to change its name to Atari in 2002-, back in the PS360 days they sold their publishing division to Bandai Namco whom they had a publishing deal for Tekken 6 in Europe, then years later it bankrupted, changed hands multiple times.

Last edited:

calistan

Apparently that Atari 50 collection was actually really dope. Might be nice to get more people together interested in restoring old games.
Atari 50 puts pretty much every other retro collection to shame. Imagine if Nintendo gave that much of a crap about its heritage.

Actually, next acquisition for "Atari" should be Nintendo!

Top Bottom