• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asia Nikkei: Bandai Namco brings anime to life with VR park

ggx2ac

Update 2:

Bandai Namco's virtual-reality entertainment facility "VR Zone Portal" is coming to London on Aug. 21. At Hollywood Bowl at The O2.

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/898462385404379136

Update:

Trailer for VR Zone Shinjuku: https://youtu.be/PRv9GaEyFIc

More at the link: http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Trends/Bandai-Namco-brings-anime-to-life-with-virtual-reality-park

A new virtual reality amusement center opened Friday in Tokyo's Shinjuku district. The operator, Bandai Namco Entertainment, has incorporated popular characters such as Goku of the "Dragon Ball" anime series and Mario from the "Mario Kart" video game into the center's attractions.

The 3500m² venue has 96 VR machines, Bandai Namco hopes it will generate revenue for its amusement parks.

For Bandai Namco, the goal is to generate revenue and give its amusement parks business a lift. Previously, it opened pop-up VR entertainment sites in Tokyo's Odaiba district and elsewhere. The permanent indoor park, VR Zone Shinjuku, is the largest of its kind in Japan.

On Wednesday, a private preview of the 3,500-sq.-meter space and its 96 VR machines was held.

Master the Kamehameha with Goku in 7 minutes, no really.

"Dragon Ball VR: Master the Kamehameha" drew particular attention from visitors. Players don headsets and headphones, beginning a journey in which they learn how to cast "Kamehamaha waves" -- a type of energy beam that Goku, the main character of "Dragon Ball," uses to attack his enemies.

Guided by Goku, players stand with feet apart, hands on hips. Flames leap from the players' palms. As tremors build, the players thrust their hands forward, shooting out the waves and shattering rocks in the distance.

Vibrations in the floor and sound from the headsets that respond to the players' actions enhance the sense of realism. The "Dragon Ball" adventure attraction lasts 7 around minutes, including the time needed to put on the VR gear. The park's other attractions run for about as long.

Or you can just ride a flying bicycle.

For the "Hanechari," or winged bicycle, attraction, Bandai Namco uses balloon-like equipment under the ride to enhance the sensation that the rider is on a flying bicycle. It also makes use of the standard VR headsets and headphones.

Approximately $39 for entry, Bandai Namco aims to have 1 million visitors to VR Zone Shinjuku by March 2019. Only four attractions to choose from currently.

...aiming to draw 1 million visitors to Shinjuku by March 2019. If it succeeds, it will buck the generally slumping trend for theme parks in Japan. Admission to VR Zone Shinjuku is 4,400 yen ($38.95) and includes access to four attractions.

they finally made anime real

Sounds interesting, I'm curious how long this stays active, and if they'll keep enhancing and augmenting the tech as it develops.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
xiNaMdV.jpg

"Dragon Ball VR: Master the Kamehameha" drew particular attention from visitors. Players don headsets and headphones, beginning a journey in which they learn how to cast "Kamehamaha waves" -- a type of energy beam that Goku, the main character of "Dragon Ball," uses to attack his enemies.

What I wouldn't give to see a live reporter on location read this out while also doing the air-quotes motions.

ggx2ac

Surprised nobody has thought of a Gundam Build Fighters VR game.Think how fucking huge that would be if it blows up.

Use an app on your smartphone to build your Gundam, spend money on gacha to get new parts, upload your data to cloud servers, go to VR amusement park to battle using your customised Gundam.

It will sound awesome on paper, the hard part is executing how the battles will work, you expect to see everything in first person view from the cockpit.

Shin

Banned
That trailer and parts of it made me think (it would be trippy as hell), looks fun either way.
1413977-propcycle_dx_.jpg

RRockman

Banned
Use an app on your smartphone to build your Gundam, spend money on gacha to get new parts, upload your data to cloud servers, go to VR amusement park to battle using your customised Gundam.

It will sound awesome on paper, the hard part is executing how the battles will work, you expect to see everything in first person view from the cockpit.

Gundam: bonds of the battlefield is a start gameplay wise but while I know Bandai is going to include gachapon as a way of getting parts we all know they won't pass up getting gunpla sold to go with it.

VR is catching on indeed. It's only a matter of t I me for an official VR MMO. How long till Pluto's kiss?

Fisico

Surprised nobody has thought of a Gundam Build Fighters VR game.Think how fucking huge that would be if it blows up.

On arcade you already have a Gundam game where you literally are in the cockpit (270° view) of your mecha and have the same kind of control that you see in the various anime (one joystick on each hand, and a brake below each foot as well as various buttons on a control panel)
It's slightly more expensive to pay than your usual arcade game but it's been there for years with local multiplayer, Gundam Extreme VS is way more popular though.

At the VR zone there's also a mecha game in VR, it'seems very short and it's main focus is on showing the cleavage of your AI which is represented by a young girl almost naked ans screaming every 2mn
And the demo ends on a "To be continued", yay

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
They are also opening a smaller scale vr area in kobe next month with 4 vr experiences

Top Bottom