• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ash and Pikachu is over, as Pokemon is about to move on

Bragr

Banned
The Pokemon anime has been a big deal for over 2 decades and was a big reason why Pokemon became what it is.

It made Pikachu one of the most recognizable mascots in gaming and children's TV, alongside Ash Ketchum.

Now, Ash and Pikachu are set to ride into the sunset, and the final episode with the duo will air on January 13th, 2023, as a new Pokemon series will take over as the main story branch.

FkGQMU7X0AEbifz

FkF-HSgUAAAChPB

-------------------------

The new duo:

pokemon-la-serie-saison-26-liko-roy_0901013829.jpg

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Loved the anime as a kid but couldn't give less of a fuck tbqh.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
The Pokemon anime has been a big deal for over 2 decades and was a big reason why Pokemon became what it is.

It made Pikachu one of the most recognizable mascots in gaming and children's TV, alongside Ash Ketchum.

Now, Ash and Pikachu are set to ride into the sunset, and the final episode with the duo will air on January 13th, 2023, as a new Pokemon series will take over as the main story branch.

FkGQMU7X0AEbifz

FkF-HSgUAAAChPB

-------------------------

The new duo:

pokemon-la-serie-saison-26-liko-roy_0901013829.jpg

It breaks my heart that an era has ended..

Whenever I see an image of a purple sunset, it gives me feeling, they are powerful and emotional illustrations.

Saber

Gold Member
They are giving him a bad impression, as if he gonna kinda retire since he just won the last league.

And in return they substitute him for 2 generic looking characters. Talk about not giving a fuck lmao

anthony2690

Banned

Ending leaked:

Ash Ketchum sat in his rocking chair, staring at the empty space in front of him. It had been so long since he had last donned his virtual reality headset and stepped into the world of Pokémon. He had spent years training and catching every creature he could, becoming one of the greatest trainers the world had ever known.
But now, Ash was an old man, his once-youthful face wrinkled and tired. He had grown tired of the constant battles and the never-ending quest to be the very best. He had retired from the world of Pokémon, content to live out the rest of his days in peace.
As he sat in his chair, Ash couldn't help but feel a twinge of sadness at the thought of all the adventures he had missed out on. He had spent so much of his life in the virtual world, it was hard to believe that it was all just a game.
But as he looked out the window at the real world, Ash knew that it was time to say goodbye to Pokémon. He stood up slowly, his joints creaking and groaning as he made his way to his bedroom. He reached for his virtual reality headset and gently lifted it from its stand, a sense of finality washing over him.
Ash held the headset in his hands for a moment, taking one last look at the device that had been his constant companion for so many years. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, then placed the headset back on its stand and turned to leave the room.
As he walked out into the sunlight, Ash knew that he had made the right decision. It was time to move on from the world of Pokémon and embrace the adventures that the real world had to offer. He took a deep breath and smiled, ready to embark on the next chapter of his life.

I'm having too much fun with that chat ai thing

Thaedolus

I can only imagine what happened to that show after 25 years is akin to The Simpsons, but I can’t remember much except thinking Misty was cute from the like two episodes my friend convinced me to watch in sixth grade.

Oh he also rented the movie with Mewtwo and I watched that

Last edited:
Ash is an iconic character but also a bit of a blank slate. I'm not sure he's had any character development since the first two seasons or so. If the show got stale it's not because of Ash, but their unwillingness to do anything new with him. They can replace him, but if they don't change the structure of the show it's not gonna make much difference.

I haven't seen the show in over a decade though. Kinda interested in his last episodes and the new MC as well, just to see the passing of the torch.

Pagusas

Elden Member
would be awesome if the show takes a serious tone shift, and we do a time jump to and adult Ash, with Pikachu slowing losing out to his older age. Ash has to say goodbye to his old friend, through a long montage, and then Pikachu closing his eyes and fading to the after life. The last few minutes can be Ash telling his daughter and son about his travels and preparing them for the start of their adventues, thus launching the new series. Would be a nice way to teach children about saying goodbye and death, and the cycle of life.

Replacing Pikachu is kind of weird since he's long been the mascot of the whole franchise.

I would have expected new characters to still have a Pikachu, just a different one.

Elysion

Banned
It‘s kinda weird that they‘re retiring Ash now, after 25 years, when they could’ve (and probably should’ve) done it after the end of the Johto arc/gen 2, which was twenty years ago. Each new gen after that should’ve had a new protagonist (like Digimon or Yugioh do it), with Ash maybe appearing once in a while in a cameo, as an idol the protagonists look up to. But replacing Ash now, after he was the eternally 10-year-old protagonist for the last 25 years, is a bit like replacing Homer Simpson, and having Marge marry another dude lol. After all this time, Ash is no longer just a seasonal character, he is the character of the franchise, and his replacement can never fill those shoes.

And I’ve got to say, those new characters look generic as hell. The Pokemon anime actually used to have a very unique look to it, but if it wasn’t for the three Pokemon in that picture (or the boy holding a Pokeball), it would be hard to tell that those characters belong in the Pokemon franchise.

Should've done it a lot earlier, Diamond/Pearl was the height of his character and I feel like they should've followed the example of Yu-Gi-Oh! And Digimon. This being said I feel more bad about Team Rocket, they were the best part. Also I hate the new protags, I agree with how generic they look, although it's not as bad as the newer Yu-Gi-Oh's

Last edited:

Fbh

Guess it was about time though you never know if he'll just be back before too long. Like when they tried to focus DBZ on Gohan after the Cell Saga.

I can only imagine what happened to that show after 25 years is akin to The Simpsons, but I can’t remember much except thinking Misty was cute from the like two episodes my friend convinced me to watch in sixth grade.

Oh he also rented the movie with Mewtwo and I watched that

The anime was always kinda boring IMO, even as a kid I quickly grew tired of it because unlike DBZ or Digimon it felt like nothing happened, you could tell they'd just infinitely stretch it out with random "adventure of the week" episodes.
Digimon with actual story arcs and actual endings was much better.

The only good thin about the anime was the OST

Somehow even 20 years later the games still haven caught up in the music department.

At this point they should have just kept him as the protagonist. This is probably the start of the franchise downfall outside games.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
At this point they should have just kept him as the protagonist. This is probably the start of the franchise downfall outside games.
That happened once the games switched to 3D models which was almost a decade ago but the anime in terms of animation quality only got BETTER.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Despite the fact that I watched the series very little.

I'm going to cry in the last chapter, it marked the childhood stage of gamers a lot.

BlackTron

I used to get up early in the morning to catch the show. I have very fond memories of the early episodes, but lost interest in where it was going an eternity ago and didn't even know Ash was still the guy until now.

Probably a terrible idea for the brand but hey it's Pokemon. Terrible ideas making bank anyway defines the IP.

RaptorGTA

Not sure if this change is gonna last. Ash and Pikachu are the face of Pokemon. I mean, you gotta change it up..but idk if this impact interest.

H4ze

I haven't seen the show in ages, but I still feel a bit sad. Pokemon was huge when I was a kid (first season is still the goat).
I have so many fond memorys with Pokemon, good times.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Its cool that it lasted so long. I remember watching it after high school with my sisters at home. Now my son who is 6 watches the exact same episodes on Netflix.

Roufianos

Haven't seen the anime for decades but tuned in to these final 11 episodes. Seeing Squirtle, Lapras and Pidgeot again was 🔥. Can see why they're ending this though, really seem to be out of ideas.

Last edited:
Top Bottom