• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As an old Star Wars fan, I don't see the point of Galaxy's Edge

GreyHorace

When I heard Disney was building a Star Wars theme park, my response was basically, "Fine. Whatever." I had no interest in it nor followed any news aside from the infamous video of Collider's Kristian Harloff losing his shit at not being invited to the attraction by his Disney overlords.

But I got curious recently and decided to check out what Galaxy's Edge has to offer. What I saw left me flabbergasted.

Untitled-2crop.jpg

Set on the planet of Batuu in the period between The Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker? Who the fuck cares about that? If I wanted to visit a Star Wars theme park and pay for overpriced food and drinks, I'd expect some iconic locations from the films themselves, particularly from the Original Trilogy.

Like Luke Skywalker's home in Tatooine:

save-lars-11.jpg

542169-4.jpg

Or even the Mos Eisley cantina:

Star-Wars-Mos-Eisley-Cantina-featured.jpg

16797678_1826286854290724_6620051775129904653_o.jpg

And in keeping with the Tatooine theme, how about Jabba's palace?

article-2267062-1722EAA3000005DC-506_634x286.jpg

jabbas-palace.jpg

And if we go in space there are bunch of iconic locales. None more so than the Death Star:

220px-Death_star1.png

taggeneedsbureaucracy-anh.png

063.jpg

And the second one has the Emperor's throne room:

817a8fc54764b9e119f5f263a7862508.jpg

I could go on and name at least a dozen more locales that could have been better attractions for Star Wars fans than this boring shite Disney and Lucasfilm constructed. Hell I'm no fan of the prequels but even they have some cool locales that could have worked. Who cares about from the Sequel trilogy whose reception from fans was largely negative?

What a big wasted opportunity on your part Disney. Diehard Star Wars fanboys would have eaten this up if you'd given them what they wanted.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
There are lots of videos on youtube talking about it, and how the original vision Lucasfilm had for the park was completely scrapped by Kathleen Kennedy in favor of pushing her sequel trilogy, and de-emphasizing the original trilogy. Most of it is anonymously sourced and unverifiable, but makes a lot of sense from a Sith point of view.

Calcium

Banned
Considering how it has performed I think Disney is in a similar position. I fully expect them to convert it to The Mandalorian time period since people don't give a fuck about the sequel trilogy. Grogu can save them.

Last edited:

Arkam

As an old Star Wars fan.... I no longer understand the point of Star Wars. It’s not even a shadow of its former self. The prequels were the start of the death spiral and the Disney trash has just been the nail in the coffin.

so of course it’s bigger than ever....

If my wife didn’t enjoy Disney parks I could guarantee I would never see foot in Galaxy’s Edge. Pay $100+ (Per person) to have to park and wait for a tram, to wait to get in, to wait in lines (many over an hour) all day for meh rides and spend another $100 eating subpar food. How does that equal “the happiest place on earth”?

Last edited:
Honestly Galaxys edge is basiclly just one big merch store that you pay money to enter.

But they are building that starliner hotel thing which is supposed to be a hotel experience simulating what it is like being onboard a ship never gonna experience that given that it costs a 1000 usd.

Not to mention me flying from europe to the us just to see it is highly unlikely.

Spokker

It's technically impressive and looks like a proper investment, but yeah, I would have gone with the original trilogy. But that's why I don't make the big bucks.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

There are lots of videos on youtube talking about it, and how the original vision Lucasfilm had for the park was completely scrapped by Kathleen Kennedy in favor of pushing her sequel trilogy, and de-emphasizing the original trilogy. Most of it is anonymously sourced and unverifiable, but makes a lot of sense from a Sith point of view.

Then Kween Kathleen's even dumber than I thought if that's the case. A theme park based on a 40 year old franchise and you won't include the iconic locations? It's like the Wizarding World of Harry Potter without Hogwarts castle. Or how about building a theme park based on The Lord of the RIngs and not including Hobbiton? It's that level of dumb.

Considering how it has performed I think Disney is in a similar position. I fully expect them to convert it to The Mandalorian time period since people don't give a fuck about the sequel trilogy. Grogu can save them.

Aside from Nevarro, there's not many iconic locations in The Mandalorian save for Tatooine which is already in the OT.

Bu maybe they can do a horror ride with the Ice Spiders from Chapter 10? That'd be cool to see.

Mandalorian-Art-1-Ice-Spider.jpg

As an old Star Wars fan.... I no longer understand the point of Star Wars. It’s not even a shadow of its former self. The prequels were the start of the death spiral and the Disney trash has just been the nail in the coffin.

so of course it’s bigger than ever....

Have you watched The Mandalorian? It's probably the best Star Wars media I've seen in a long time and probably the only good thing from Disney Star Wars. Give it a chance if you haven't.

If my wife didn’t enjoy Disney parks I could guarantee I would never see foot in Galaxy’s Edge. Pay $100+ (Per person) to have to park and wait for a tram, to wait to get in, to wait in lines (many over an hour) all day for meh rides and spend another $100 eating subpar food. How does that equal “the happiest place on earth”?

Honestly Galaxys edge is basiclly just one big merch store that you pay money to enter.

But they are building that starliner hotel thing which is supposed to be a hotel experience simulating what it is like being onboard a ship never gonna experience that given that it costs a 1000 usd.

Not to mention me flying from europe to the us just to see it is highly unlikely.

Holy shit that's expensive. You'd have to be a real Star Wars nut to even consider shelling out that much cash.

You can visit Luke's home, go on holiday to Tunisia, it's there.

Probably will put that on my proverbial bucket list. And it's nice that the Tunisians have restored some of the sets in order to drum up tourism. And the fact that it's not a sleek production like Galaxy's Edge probably adds to the charm.

I think the intended audience here are Disney fans and all other 'geek fan' subcultures which aren't really engaged with the property but will undoubtedly CONSOOOOOMMMM

Like our good friend Rich Evans?

116.gif

1) Yeah, it's stupid.
2) well, just don't go there.

Problem solved... ;)

*Pfft* As if I have the cash to spend on Disney's overpriced crap. I only made this thread because I wondered why Disney wasted so much money on building a theme park attraction on a era of Star Wars that many don't like.

teezzy

Banned
Apart from rides and roller coasters - theme parks in general are for retards. I have a buddy who just watches YT videos of theme park attractions. I swear he's autistic.

Unless you have kids or something, I don't get it. I hate fun though

Last edited:
I don’t like that the park had to be canon but the food and alcohol is amazing there and rise of the resistance may be the best ride ever made.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Rise of the Resistance is the best theme park ride ever built. Fucking amazing and I'm thankful I got to ride it right before everything got shut down. Was completely worth waiting 12 hours in the park before getting the boarding notice via the app.

I don’t like that the park had to be canon but the food and alcohol is amazing there and rise of the resistance may be the best ride ever made.

First thing I'm doing when things open back up is going to get a Ronto Wrap.

Last edited:
Rise of the Resistance is the best theme park ride ever built. Fucking amazing and I'm thankful I got to ride it right before everything got shut down. Was completely worth waiting 12 hours in the park before getting the boarding notice via the app.

First thing I'm doing when things open back up is going to get a Ronto Wrap.
Oh man stuff is so good. Always way better now that you can check into the ride queue at your home or hotel instead of at the park.

sol_bad

I think the intended audience here are Disney fans and all other 'geek fan' subcultures which aren't really engaged with the property but will undoubtedly CONSOOOOOMMMM

New fans of Star Wars are still fans of Star Wars. Give it another 10 years and there will be defenders of the sequel trilogy just like we have prequel defenders now. I have a friend who is 10+ years younger than me and easily picks the prequels over the original trilogy because that's what he grew up with.
If they aren't engaged with Star Wars why would they go there, it doesnt make much sense. I think we need to ease up on this new "consoom" describer as an insult, it's pretty lame.

Spokker

How many rides are in that Star Wars area? A handful? Hardly seems worth it .
There are two. A Millennium Falcon ride that is like a big on rails coop arcade shooter simulator running on Unreal engine. Your team is comprised of six people and you all have a role to play in piloting, repairing and shooting.

The other is a trackless dark ride with a lot of gee whiz theme park technology.

Both are technically impressive but are lacking soul.

Spokker

Apart from rides and roller coasters - theme parks in general are for retards. I have a buddy who just watches YT videos of theme park attractions. I swear he's autistic.

Unless you have kids or something, I don't get it. I hate fun though
I put on 2 hour long theme park tour videos of parks I've never been to and yes I am very fat and can't even fit on the rides.

TransTrender

Gold Member
New fans of Star Wars are still fans of Star Wars. Give it another 10 years and there will be defenders of the sequel trilogy just like we have prequel defenders now. I have a friend who is 10+ years younger than me and easily picks the prequels over the original trilogy because that's what he grew up with.
If they aren't engaged with Star Wars why would they go there, it doesnt make much sense. I think we need to ease up on this new "consoom" describer as an insult, it's pretty lame.
Meh, I get it, but as others have said and also in my opinion, the new area seems to have lack soul and has been designed with cynicism in mind as an area to monetize as much as possible. As for the 'consoom' thing, have you met any of these people? I've only met a few and they're usually the younger cousins/nieces/nephews types and they're quite literally the worst. Avid fans of geek fandoms which have strong, terrible, and unyielding opinions and are insufferable to be around. It's like if you took the worst people on message boards or reddit and plopped them in front of you. In my opinion the 'consoom' insult is a valid way to describe these people. Not a lot of higher brain functions going on but oh fuck me they'll give you an earful about how hardcore diehard they are about XYZ.

EDIT: For clarity, the people I'm referring to are in their 20's and 30's which is to old for that type of behavior.

Last edited:

TDiddyLive

One plus of having it be this new planet area is the super nerds don’t have a chance of complaining how some insignificant detail is wrong. Well, besides them whining that one of the stores had the Ark of the Covenant hidden as a fun little Easter egg.

And put me in with the people saying Rise Of The Resistance is the best theme park ride. The Millennium Falcon ride is fun if you’re a pilot, and gets significantly shittier the farther back you are.

Top Bottom