• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Army of the Dead - Teaser Trailer

KielCasto

Man, I didn’t like this movie as much as I wanted to. I even think it was bad.

I would rather watch a zombie movie that went 100% stupid rather than sit through this again. This movie just sat at a weird place between stupid and serious.

At least it was a little fun up until they met the coyote.

highrider

Banned

It’s funny they almost always hire dancers for zombie roles I’m sure they figure good builds and physical dexterity, but the problem is they move like dancers. It was particularly bad in this film, like there couldn’t be a zombie shot with out some over dramatic physical pose to look scary. I’m a zombie! * jazz hands *

Last edited:

HarryKS

Watched it. Strange movie. Seemed more like a collage of scenes poorly pieced together and paced. It lacked soul and coherence.

Mediocre at best.

KielCasto

It's so bizarre to see all this after release marketing as if the movie is an insanely popular smash hit all over the world.
Last I heard it was number 1 in many countries, which I think someone posted here, and will have prequels, so it’s not that strange for me.

Last I heard it was number 1 in many countries, which I think someone posted here, and will have prequels, so it’s not that strange for me.
The prequel and anime aren't a result of popularity, but of Netflix's desire to have their own zombie franchise from a "visionary" like Zack Snyder. They decided to make this a franchise before the first movie was even completed lol

Too bad the movie is complete garbage. I'm sure the prequel and anime will have their fans but it won't be the "hit" franchise that Netflix was hoping it would be. The only people that still talk about this movie in a positive light are blatant astroturfers or people who have terrible taste in films.

Last edited:

LocalE

I do find the regular marketing dumps in this thread to be kinda weird. But this is the only place that I'm personally coming across this stuff.
I don't think it's a very good movie but I suppose it probably has a few superfans.

Aggelos

xD5RsZs.jpg

Last edited:

Aggelos

Guys, Framestore and Zack Snyder spent all that time to remove Chris D'Elia and replace him with Tig Notaro, and there he is.... he somehow managed to creep up and appear again in the picture.

dHMrjAo.jpg

jQRuDPK.jpg

Aggelos

"For us, it was so important to find a partnership that was based on mutual respect,” Deborah Snyder says. “The creative process works best when everybody trusts each other and you can take chances and be creative. For us, we don’t usually play it safe. The content we make is a little bit edgier. And I think it’s important to have a good partnership and hear each other.”
She adds, “And Netflix has given us a lot of freedom. But they’ve also embraced the idea of trying new things and not necessary waiting for a success before moving ahead.”

The making of Army of the Dead illustrated that sentiment. Even before the movie was released in May, Netflix and the Snyders were in production on a German-made prequel, titled Army of Thieves, and an anime spinoff. The prequel is on track for a fall release while the anime is due to debut in spring 2022.

Yes, Snyder will be spending more time in the Army-verse. On the docket is a sequel he is developing with the first movie’s co-writer, Shay Hatten, something he would tackle after Rebel Moon."

Last edited:
As if anybody would care about the backstories of these shitty cardboard-cutout characters.
The try-hard attempt at making this another movie universe is just desperately bad.

Aggelos

Well, at least you guys, shouldn't this thread be renamed into something like "Zack Snyder's Army of the Dead Universe"?
Since he and his spouse are trying to make a movie universe out of this shebang.

Kev Kev

Army of Thieves

fuck yeah im in.watched the first one last night. never heard of it and had zero expectations, and i thought it was pretty great! i think a lot of you were way over hyped for this, or just love to poo poo on zach snyder.

for someone who was just skimming trough netflix and landed on this, i was very pleasantly surprised and entertained. looking forward to the prequel!

sol_bad

This is so weird and confusing, a prequel film without the zombies. It's like making a Transformer film without robots or a Ninja Turtle prequel about TGRI.
I hope the fans enjoy it.
o_O

Aggelos

"In terms of the Army of the Dead franchise, fans have already seen what that Netflix freedom can entail, as the film already has the prequel spinoff Army of Thieves set to debut later this year, and the anime spinoff Army of the Dead: Lost Vegas set for 2022. The report also reveals that a proper sequel to the film is currently in development, with Snyder expected to return."

BigStef71

Neo Member
I definitely enjoyed the film when I saw it in theaters but the story was definitely the weakest aspect. I dont really understand the criticism that the film is visually ugly but to each their own I guess 🤷🏼‍♂️. Anyways, the Scifi aspect of the sequel with the ufos and robot zombies has me intrigued. So for the sequel I hope they spend more time on the script and honestly Zack should get Terrio to help write it. Also Zack needs to bring Fong or Wagner back as his dop because I think that's just too much on his plate to be shooting the film as well. I also wonder if Zack will ever go back to shooting on film because he shot aotd and zsjl reshoots both digitally 🤔. One final tidbit I'm definitely excited to see how his Rebel Moon film is going to turn out.

Enjay

Banned
Well now we all know why no one else ever wanted to give whacky zack snyder full creative freedom at least.

Javthusiast

Banned
At least Army of Thieves looks more fun and better shot than Army of the Dead. God that one was pure slog and vaseline nightmare.

Aggelos

I definitely enjoyed the film when I saw it in theaters but the story was definitely the weakest aspect. I dont really understand the criticism that the film is visually ugly but to each their own I guess 🤷🏼‍♂️. Anyways, the Scifi aspect of the sequel with the ufos and robot zombies has me intrigued. So for the sequel I hope they spend more time on the script and honestly Zack should get Terrio to help write it. Also Zack needs to bring Fong or Wagner back as his dop because I think that's just too much on his plate to be shooting the film as well. I also wonder if Zack will ever go back to shooting on film because he shot aotd and zsjl reshoots both digitally 🤔. One final tidbit I'm definitely excited to see how his Rebel Moon film is going to turn out.

I agree, Larry Fong should be back as DOP. How the Army Universe is going to expand is anyone's guess. Plus the fact it's gonna come after Rebel Moon, so it's a long way to go for the potential sequel.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Hmm, Nathalie Emmanuel huh. Been a fan ever since her first scene in Misfits :)

I'll give the prequel a go.

I'm surprised Netflix is not making a live action prequel TV series ,but making it anime, cause they didn't want to spend more cash on the franchise? So did it bomb ? Is Zack just scripting the sequel but nothing has been greenlit ?

MastaKiiLA

Army of Thieves was decent fun. Nothing great, but nothing terrible either. It helps to explain the Dieter character better, who I did not like in Army of the Dead.

AoT is better than AotD, but that might just speak to how underwhelming AotD was.

Atrus

Gold Member
Army of Thieves is better in overall quality than Army of the Dead and would probably have been better positioned before they released Army of the Dead.

Its of a middling heist film since the heists themselves aren’t elaborate nor the vaults themselves much of a challenge to the protagonist.

Script was decent, runs though some cliches but gives us a decent adventure with child-like Ludwig/Sebastian. Plenty of nice scenery and Nathalie Emmanuelle.

Extremely loose connections with Army of the Dead and that’s oddly a good thing.

What they should do is make a movie or limited series about the opening part of Army of the Dead that was better than the entire film itself.

Last edited:

Aggelos

I was just wondering: Army of Thieves' ending scene, seems to be an extended scene from Army of the Dead. Once the prequel got green-lit by Netflix, Zack must have trimmed that scene where Bautista's Scott Ward meets Dieter.

Pretty nice film by Matthias Schweighöfer, it has its moments, Matthias' character is a pretty funny guy. Here's hoping that he'll be in the sequel together with Omari Hardwick's Vanderohe. Nice theme and score by Hans Zimmer and Steve Mazzaro. The film is a fun ride, with a nod to zombies. So if you liked Matthias' character in Army of the Dead, then you're gonna like this film too, because it's his backstory.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Hmm, Nathalie Emmanuel huh. Been a fan ever since her first scene in Misfits :)

I'll give the prequel a go.

It had been a long time since I'd seen the whole series of Misfits. I didn't even remember she was in it. But it was only one episode so...

She was arguably the prettiest woman on the show's entire run!

Top Bottom