• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arkane Austin Could Be Developing A Single-Player RPG/Immersive Sim

Robb

Gold Member
It could have been a hit, had they hired competent people and not focus on MTX side.

The game has something, but the backbone is shit. This makes it a crap game.

Still baffling they managed to fk up a vampire game.
I think they still have a lot of competent people but it doesn’t feel like they were interested in making that type of game.

The entire thing feels very “your previous stuff sold poorly and we’re in financial disarray so make something trendy instead of what you actually want to make” to me.

Last edited:

feynoob

I think they still have a lot of competent people but it doesn’t feel like they were interested in making that type of game.

The entire thing feels very “your previous stuff sold poorly and we’re in financial disarray so make something trendy instead of what you actually want to make” to me.
It was. We had an article about it.

We'll see. They obviously moved on from that type of game because of bad sales.
That's a totally fair assessment. My response is you just have to set your expectations appropriately. We all know Arkane games and immersive sims in general don't set the sales charts on fire, so they need to budget themselves accordingly. You shouldn't get a Last of Us Part 2 sized budget, if you only expect Dishonored 2 sized sales.

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

Hitman is kind of an outlier I'd say, definitely not the norm for the genre, and even then, I think it being made the way it was and supported for quite a while helped at least keep that franchise alive. And I do agree with what you say about Tears of the Kingdom, easily one of the best games I've ever played. I'd argue that Nintendo keeping the difficulty at a standard across the board definitiely tailors the experience to really enhance the immersive sim design elements incorporated into Totk. I hope people that have been enjoying TotK give games like Dishonored or Prey or Weird West a good honest attempt and see if they surprise themselves..
Same, I love the genre and I do love Dishonored and Prey - I just think they could really broaden the appeal by moving into a third-person design scheme. Harder with Dishonored I know as their stealth system is set up for first-person, but I do think they could leverage the success of things like TOTK to drive home a bit of a breakthrough hit.

Prey with better enemy variety would have been a perfect game. I hope they can 1 up themselves, because, while I was dissapointed in some of their newer stuff, Disholored 1 and Prey were some of the all time greatest.

Also, Immersive sim is an absolutely shit name and I wish that something else would stick as a label. Immersive sim works better for, like, powerwash simulator or euro truck simulater.

Edit: also, mgs3 remake would be awesome with some immersive sim elements. the premise of the game is perfect for it and og mgs3 seemed like it wanted to do something like that but was limited by the ps2 hardware.

Last edited:
Top Bottom