• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are there games you play on mute?

Pelao

Not muted completely, but with the game music off and the master volume turned down enough so it doesn't sound bad with the music I'm listening to.
I usually do this when playing Gran Turismo 7, Flight Simulator, Jurassic World Evolution 2 and Cities VR.
Actually, I do it with almost any game in VR.
And I also do it with every game I replay, regardless of how good the OST is.

LCSoft

Neo Member
I always need a podcast playing about cults, CIA, or neo-Nazis, so music is always off and sound on. Then I pause the podcast during dialogue or cutscenes. Unless I'm playing Icewind Dale, which had the all-time greatest game soundtrack.

Historia

Banned
LaD or Judge eyes, or any craps that RGG put out. Their voice acting are horrible. I will turn on for boss music though, those slaps hard.

Zannegan

I play pretty much everything with an audiobook on. It gets paused for exposition or truly epic moments, but generally the book plays on while the game is at a lower volume. I don't mute it though. Lots of games have helpful audio cues.

It would be different if more games had a decent story to tell, but most are meh to awful (in words and characterization, atmospheric storytelling is getting better and better). Usually, a game that aims to be Hollywood-esque ends up being a poor version of both.

Not fully, no

But for games where I’m doing some end game stuff, or grinding something out post story, I will sometimes put on music, a podcast, or lately an audio book.

Crayon

What's pretty good is gt in VR with those necklace speakers, bo bgm, and some art bell on.

As far as mute? Some. I've been playing some wonderswan and the context in which this thing is made is to be played on a train or waiting. It's got one tiny speaker and the volume button just cycles from mute to three more levels. It's more or less made to be played on mute. It's the size of a pocket calculator. Think of it as the discrete gamer's handheld.

On PC especially, I'll turn off bgm and lower effects a lot and play a cast in the background.

If I am really grinding and seeing nothing new, I'll turn volume down to barely audible and listen to something else.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
WoW 99% of the time. Well, very quiet, with a podcast over it.

Muting the music and playing something else might make sense in repetitive games, but I only did that with Trackmania Nations.

ahtlas7

I end up muting the music in most games due to repetitiveness even if it’s good or great songs. The incessant playing of the same song is torture (the CIA knows)

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Back when I still played it, Destiny 2. The score got old quick for me, and there was not many audible queues. So I'd just listen to a podcast or something like that while playing.

Dr. Suchong

Grinding in jrpgs near the endgame with some Opeth or something is my bag.
Monster Hunter Rise/Sunbreak lately so I don't annoy my partner.
To this day, I still don't know what Bazelgeuse sounds like.

kubricks

Sekiro, but only with any boss I struggled with.
I can magically beat them if I turn off the background music lol.

Blendernaut

Neo Member
No. And I dont understand how people can do this. When Im playing, I am playing. I focus on the game and that's it. And I need its sound to feel inmersed in the game. Otherwise I wont enjoy it.

Dr. Suchong

Sekiro, but only with any boss I struggled with.
I can magically beat them if I turn off the background music lol.
That's a trick I have used on multiple games.
Muting or lowering the volume to the bare minimum has helped me past tricky sections or bosses.
Especially if the bgm is so intense it's off putting.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
When I play console I always have sound on, although for sports game I actually have play by play commentating off, so I can hear the crowd noise. But when I play PC games, I usually have it all turned off so I can listen to a ball game on TV nearby.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
borderlands 3

Excited Animation GIF

Johnny2Bad

Civilization. The sound effects and music are cheesey and totally unnecessary. I turn off the sound and put on some music on my stereo.

If a game has annoying music or dialog I don't like, and no way to turn off in the settings, then yes, I will mute it. Like Trails from Zero, I turn off the Japanese voices in battle and dialog scenes.

nikos

I'll play my own music with certain games or even watch something while playing ones that require less attention.

Other than that, I like to play them as intended.

violence

Ctrl+S World of Warcraft.

I played the game this way for years. It only disable sound effects and you still get the ambience background music, which was fine for listening to podcasts. WoW is the podcast game for me.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Pinball FX
Halls of Torment
Transport Fever 2

Those are my current goto "podcast/youtube talk" games. The list keep changing slowly.

Lux R7

games that i know by heart if i want to listen to something else while playing (that includes souls games, dragon's dogma, pes, diablo 2 and some others)

Top Bottom